PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Picked to Win WCC, Three Named Preseason All-WCC

TerpZag
10-26-2015, 02:32 PM
MBB Picked to Win WCC, Three Named Preseason All-WCC

Gonzaga enters the season with three straight conference titles

Oct. 26, 2015

SAN BRUNO, Calif. Ė The Gonzaga menís basketball team received all nine possible first-place votes to rank at the top of the West Coast Conference Preseason Coachesí Poll released Monday by league officials.

Along with being selected to win the league, three players were named to the Preseason All-WCC Team with senior center Przemek Karnowski, senior forward Kyle Wiltjer and sophomore forward Domantas Sabonis.

Gonzaga enters the season having won 14 of the last 15 WCC regular season titles and the last three in a row. The other nine league coaches all picked Gonzaga first (81 points), while BYU (72) was picked second in the poll and received the remaining first-place vote. Coaches cannot vote for their own team or players. Pepperdine was picked third with 63 overall points, just four ahead of fourth-place Saint Maryís.

Wiltjer returns for his senior season after following up his redshirt year with a breakout performance, leading the team with 16.8 points per game and shooting a team-best .466 from behind the arc while making 68 three-pointers. The Portland, Ore., native led the team in scoring 18 times and had a team-best 30 games with double-digit points, including 11 with more than 20. His highest-scoring game of the season came at Pacific on Feb. 19, when he poured in 45 points, the third-highest single-game total ever at Gonzaga. Wiltjer became the seventh Zag to earn the WCC Newcomer of the Year Award and was named a USBWA and NABC Second Team All-American, AP Third-Team All-American, First Team All-WCC selection and WCC Tournament Most Outstanding Player.

Karnowski returns to the Zags for his senior season after averaging 10.9 points and 5.8 rebounds and earning All-WCC First Team honors. The Poland native was first on the team in blocks with 39 and second on the team with a .622 field goal percentage. Karnowski also spent the latter part of the summer and early fall with the Polish National Team playing in the European Championships, where his squad advanced out of the group stage.

Sabonis enters his second season with the Zags after leading the team with a .668 field-goal percentage as a freshman, including seven games where he was perfect from the field. The Lithuania native also led the team in rebounding at 7.1 per game and scored 9.7 points per game, while earning All-WCC Second Team honors. Sabonis hit double figures in scoring 20 times and rebounding six times. He also played for the Lithuanian National Team in the European Championships, helping his squad advance all the way to the title game, which also earned the team berth in the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

Last season, the Zags put together a school-record 35 wins, second-ever berth in the Elite Eight and school-record 22-game win streak. GU also captured its third straight WCC regular season and tournament titles, while advancing to a 17th consecutive NCAA Tournament, the fourth-longest active streak in the nation.

The season officially gets underway with an exhibition against Eastern Oregon at home on Nov. 7, followed by the regular-season opener in Okinawa, Japan, against Pittsburgh in the Armed Forces Classic on Nov. 13...

Gonzaga Article Link includes 2015-16 WCC Preseason Menís Basketball Coaches Poll and 2015-16 All-WCC Preseason Menís Basketball Team
(http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102615aaa.html)

sittingon50
10-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Uh, all 9 possible 1st place votes? Sorry; guess I'm kinda' crabby tonight.

willandi
10-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Can't vote for your own team.

sittingon50
10-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Right, so Few was the 10th vote, for BYU.

americasteam
10-26-2015, 10:24 PM

Gonzaga can only receive at the very most 9 1st place votes, since they can't vote for themselves. They received all 9 possible 1st place votes. The key word there is 'possible'. No one would ever get 10 votes for 1st place as that is impossible.

sittingon50
10-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Never been to Chicago, eh?

MDABE80
10-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Good one 50! Very astute and very funny.....

TexasZagFan
10-27-2015, 04:40 AM

I've been to Chicago, but I'm not getting it...please elucidate.

ZagsGoZags
10-27-2015, 04:53 AM
I was hoping Kyle D. would be mentioned as one of the 6 chosen guards, but it is understandable and could be debated either way.
Out of 3 forward spots GU got two mentions, with Stacy Davis properly named the third.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2015, 05:23 AM
I've been to Chicago, but I'm not getting it...please elucidate.

Voting irregularities. JFK, Daley, three governors in jail. Or is it four? Etc. Dead people voting more than once, like that.

Birddog
10-27-2015, 05:25 AM
Voting irregularities

What's irregular about dead people casting ballots? It's not like they didn't vote for their party.

TexasZagFan
10-27-2015, 06:17 AM
Voting irregularities. JFK, Daley, three governors in jail. Or is it four? Etc. Dead people voting more than once, like that.

Thanks jazz. FWIW, Blanco County, Texas was a dependable ally of LBJ. Chicago's in a class by itself.

ZaGranny
10-27-2015, 07:25 AM

Add Kansas City Mo to the list. The Prendergast machine was a legend. The first year my mom was eligible to vote (1936) she worked outside a polling place, hoisting a sign for an education bill. Men kept coming up to her and trying to get her to vote again for one of their guys until a fireman made them stop.

ZaGranny

mgadfly
10-27-2015, 09:16 AM
I like the Chicago joke, but it is incredibly dated. I think to be modern and relevant we need to substitute Ohio in to the joke (2004 instead of the 1930s). In the counties of Perry and Cuyahoga turnout rates were as high as 124% and in a Columbus precinct with about 600 registered voters, over 4,000 votes were tallied for W.

sittingon50
10-27-2015, 09:31 AM

Bingo.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to derail. Guess I was in the minority in thinking that could have been written better.

sittingon50
10-27-2015, 09:33 AM
I like the Chicago joke, but it is incredibly dated. I think to be modern and relevant we need to substitute Ohio in to the joke (2004 instead of the 1930s). In the counties of Perry and Cuyahoga turnout rates were as high as 124% and in a Columbus precinct with about 600 registered voters, over 4,000 votes were tallied for W.

That's the problem, fly. When I look in the mirror, it also seems to be incredibly dated!!

mgadfly
10-27-2015, 09:47 AM
That's the problem, fly. When I look in the mirror, it also seems to be incredibly dated!!

Maybe because I can relate more and more by the day ... I found this incredibly funny. Well played.