PDA

View Full Version : Competition Update -- BYU

SLOZag
10-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Kyle Collinsworth "is out indefinitely with knee pain caused by patellar tendonitis, or “Jumper’s Knee.” According to [a BYU] report, which cites the Mayo Clinic, patellar tendonitis is a common injury among basketball players, caused by overuse and stress on the patellar tendon. Pain happens when the tendon is tore and becomes inflammed and weakened.

"Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Collinsworth has had knee problems. During the 2013-14 season, Collinsworth’s season ended prematurely with a torn ACL. ... Given his history of his knee problems, the Cougars are understandably taking a cautious approach to Collinsworth’s knee pain, especially since the injury could become more serious if not properly addressed. ... In keeping with commonly prescribed treatment for tendinitis, Collinsworth has been held out of practice and other basketball events (i.e., Boom Shakalaka), and will likely continue to rest his knee over at least the coming week. Sources say he is unlikely to participate in Wednesday’s Cougar Tip-Off scrimmage and may also sit out Friday’s exhibition matchup with Arizona Christian.

"[T]he preseason is not an ideal time for Collinsworth to be out ... . Including Collinsworth, the Cougars return five players who played last season. While Collinsworth is obviously familiar with the system, preseason practices and exhibitions give him a chance to mesh with new teammates and become more familiar with playing as a new unit. While Collinsworth’s second knee injury in three seasons is a bit concerning, all signs point toward the current setback not being serious. With enough rest, Collinsworth will hopefully be ready for the season opener, and should be back to full strength by the time conference play begins."

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/byus-kyle-collinsworth-out-indefinitely-with-knee-injury/

Zagdawg
10-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Hope he heals up quickly. He is a great player and competitor.

raise the zag
10-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Possibly my fave non-Zag player in college hoops. Hope he heals quickly. Fun competitor to watch & play against.

jazzdelmar
10-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Definitely my favorite non Zag. Indeed, he would have been a quintessential Zag.

hooter73
10-26-2015, 03:11 PM
That just sucks. I really want to see him beat the record for triple doubles in a season.

sonuvazag
10-26-2015, 05:38 PM
That just sucks. I really want to see him beat the record for triple doubles in a season.

FWIW he set the season record and tied the career record last year with six.

DixieZag
10-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Man I hate seeing this. Wins over BYU will be so much less meaningful without him. :) No time is ideal for an injury, but if one has to have one, obviously this is it.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-26-2015, 07:05 PM
This kid is an amazing player. He's one of my favorite players in college hoops. He should be a preseason All-American.

I hope he heals quickly enough to play in their pre-conference games. It would be great for BYU to pick up a couple of signature wins against somebody other than GU. The WCC as a whole needs strong non-conference performances from the league's top teams to boost the national perception of the league.

sittingon50
10-26-2015, 07:36 PM
BYU's MBB trainer spent a long time in the NBA. Hopefully he can get Kyle better quickly.

webspinnre
10-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Yikes, get well soon.

ZagsGoZags
10-27-2015, 05:27 AM
Man I hate seeing this. Wins over BYU will be so much less meaningful without him. :) No time is ideal for an injury, but if one has to have one, obviously this is it.

True. Even a loss to BYU (like last game of reg season last year in our house) will be more meaningful with him. I hope he gets completely well not only because I respect the man, but because it is in our self-interest. It is so much better for us when ANY team in the WCC gets into the top 50 and not just for the RPI. We need the toughest possible competition in Feb even if we lose a few, while most other top 25 teams are slugging it out in BCS conferences and getting sharper and sharper as the Dance approaches. We need the WCC top teams to get as good as possible.

Reborn
10-27-2015, 05:42 AM
It sounds to me like he's going to be good to go by the beginning of the conference, and actually ready to play when the season starts. BYU is being cautious and wise. He'll be playing, and I'm anxious to see him play. Like many of you he's my favorite player outside ZagNation.

hooter73
10-27-2015, 07:29 AM
FWIW he set the season record and tied the career record last year with six.

I thought he tied Shaq with 6. Off to google...

sonuvazag
10-27-2015, 07:32 AM
I thought he tied Shaq with 6. Off to google...
The season record was four. The career record is 6, including Shaq.

hooter73
10-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Ah, career record then :)

rennis
10-28-2015, 12:02 PM
I had patellar tendonitis a while back and while it's not great, it's pretty easy to recover from. Especially if you have the PT time and resources that KC will have. He'll be 100% well before conference play starts, is my hunch.