PDA

View Full Version : Dickie V says we are #10

kitzbuel
10-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Dickie V's Preseason Top 40 put the Zags at 10.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13932796/north-carolina-tar-heels-lead-vitale-preseason-top-40-teams

Kiddwell
10-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Sure hope the Dickster's is right about us being better than Arizona.

:]

bartruff1
10-21-2015, 09:40 AM
I noticed there were 7 (or so) teams from the west among the 40...and 1 in the top ten...

kitzbuel
10-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Everyone seems very bullish on Maryland. I am still skeptical, but also amazed. Two seasons ago, talk radio around here was trying to drum Turgeon out of town. The charge was he couldn't step up and lead a B1G team and compete in B1G time basketball. He seems to have survived and excelled. I am interested in seeing what they do this year.

seacatfan
10-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Everyone seems very bullish on Maryland. I am still skeptical, but also amazed. Two seasons ago, talk radio around here was trying to drum Turgeon out of town. The charge was he couldn't step up and lead a B1G team and compete in B1G time basketball. He seems to have survived and excelled. I am interested in seeing what they do this year.

Here's an interesting hypothetical question that's hard to answer: would their resurgence have happened if they stayed in the ACC rather than relocating to the B1G? Both are good conferences but I would argue the ACC is more top heavy. It's definitely been a boon for the women's bball program. The ACC is loaded and the B1G is pretty weak on the women's side.

MDABE80
10-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Our bigs will be in for one big struggle against AZ. Kaleb Tar( you're on your own from here), Chance Commanche, Ryan Anderson and USF's tranfer Tollefsen are formidable. Our guards will need to be very good that night.

hooter73
10-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Our bigs will be in for one big struggle against AZ. Kaleb Tar( you're on your own from here), Chance Commanche, Ryan Anderson and USF's tranfer Tollefsen are formidable. Our guards will need to be very good that night.

That game is going to be watched by A LOT of people around the nation, like NCAA tourny type ratings. Partly because its a "best in the west" battle, partly because last years was so good/close, and partly just to see the Karno vs Kaleb match up.

seacatfan
10-21-2015, 11:57 AM

MD, you can call him Zeus for short. Much easier, most Arizona fans refer to him as such. Also don't forget Dusan Ristic, another 7 footer that is much more polished offensively but not as good on D as Zeus.

As much as the frontcourt battle will be intriguing, both backcourts are retooled but feature plenty of talent even if they aren't household names yet (I think some of them from both teams will be before the season is done).

Bogozags
10-21-2015, 12:33 PM
MD, you can call him Zeus for short. Much easier, most Arizona fans refer to him as such. Also don't forget Dusan Ristic, another 7 footer that is much more polished offensively but not as good on D as Zeus.

As much as the frontcourt battle will be intriguing, both backcourts are retooled but feature plenty of talent even if they aren't household names yet (I think some of them from both teams will be before the season is done).

AZ is going to be tough but I think this team will be a better match than last years AND we nearly beat them in regulation...I watch Zeus play in every PanAm game and didn't think he would have made an NBA squad. He has had difficulty with PK before and PK played against stiffer competition this summer as did DS.

We have yet to see how Josh will handle that type of pressure and how well he shoots it too...but if his play during Craziness, then we should be alright...GU will play much better on defence this season, especially at home...imo

Zagdawg
10-21-2015, 01:02 PM
I like the fact that the game comes early in the preseason --and zona has a bunch of new faces that they will be integrating into the system.

Another positive is Leon Rice plays Arizona 2 weeks before Gonzaga -- you know Few and Leon will have a good discussion about the team (with plenty of time to prepare ahead of time).

Add in the Kennel Club will bring it -- as it is the biggest game of the year at our house-- it will be fun.

Tarc likes to use his strength to overpower opposing centers-- but Big K doesn't let him push him around.

It will be a good game.

Go Zags

DixieZag
10-21-2015, 02:55 PM
That game is going to be watched by A LOT of people around the nation, like NCAA tourny type ratings. Partly because its a "best in the west" battle, partly because last years was so good/close, and partly just to see the Karno vs Kaleb match up.

There are no "must win" games in December.

But, this is close.

We need to show we can beat one of these top 10 teams again during regular season. I can't recall the last time we did.

We had Michigan State and got rolled by the hottest player in the world that night, had Illinois - hottest player in the world that night, yes we beat ND and we beat Baylor (at home), but we need a big signature top 10 win at home.

Taking AZ to OT on the road was extremely impressive, this team will be expected to beat them at home.

Hope it happens.

seacatfan
10-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Zags absolutely should be the favorite against UA. Big opportunity for GU for a big win, depending on how the Battle for Atlantis shakes out could be their highest rated OOC foe. I think the same could be said for UA, will be an important game for both teams.

raise the zag
10-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Respect Arizona program, their obvious talent, recruiting, and coaching; however, "Zeus" might be the most overrated player I can remember. He's been talked about and fawned over for years now, and never once been impressed with him. Highly recruited, then highly enamored by, then ranked as a break-out player, yet all his teammates are the ones drafted. Consistently is outplayed by ANY big with skill and toughness. He's the epitome of an 'airport player'. Has the body, build, name, hype, etc. Considered a Top-25 player, "All-American" since arriving at Arizona, but my goodness, Karnowski is twice the player and outplayed him even in his 'slow' days. Same goes for Sabonis as a Frosh. Even Zona fans are lost in the hype. Their message boards talk about his coming out party, etc. Not gonna happen. Doesn't have it. Guarantee he gets drafted high on hype alone. He's 7'-foot, with a chiseled chin, has broad shoulders, a 30-inch waist, reminds us of the guy from Rocky IV…must be good. I don't' get it. Karnowski will own him once again. Guaranteed. Just wait.

raise the zag
10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
All that said, I'm hella impressed by Ryan Anderson. That kid got game.

He's going to be a tough containment and/or assignment for any of our bigs.

Sabonis will get the nod, yet consider him one of the most dynamic forwards in college hoops this season.

As much as Zeus is astronomically overrated -- can't believe he's considered a Top-40 player -- Ryan Anderson is UNDERRATED.

Zagdawg
10-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Kinda different to hear that the Zags should be the favorite over the team picked to win the Pac12--especially with all the top 100 talent Zona has on the roster year in and year out.

Glad we get to test ourselves early between the Atlantis tourney and the rest of our preseason schedule---lets see what we are made of.

Go Zags

seacatfan
10-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Wow Raise the Zag. I agree Tarczewski hasn't lived up to his projections from high school, but I think you're overstating it a bit. I don't see him getting all that much hype at this point. He is what he is. Solid low post defender, not really a shot blocker. Has a hard time playing against smaller, quicker players, but that's not unusual for a C. Hasn't been a consistent offensive player at any time during his career, but occasionally he has a game where he's motivated and appears to play angry and he's actually a force in the paint. Yeah Karno has outplayed him both times they've matched up, but the 2nd game really wasn't lopsided the way the first one was. Kaminsky absolutely killed him 2 years in a row in the Tourney, but Kaminsky was a nightmare matchup that gave a lot of teams fits the last 2 years. I'll tell you who Zeus has matched up well with--Poeltl from Utah, who is getting 10 times the hype that Zeus is. Zeus outplayed him both times, outplayed him significantly in the game at SLC, Arizona won both games. I'll guarantee you Poeltl is going to get drafted higher than Zeus. He's still young. Zeus is not only a Sr., he's old for a Sr. He'll be 23 before the draft happens. NBA teams are gonna shy away from that, too old to throw around the magical mystical "potential" or "upside" terminology with him.

amaronizag
10-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Two years ago Karno owned Tarczewski (Zeus) and was a much better player. Last year Zeus had beefed up his body and improved his all round game a lot. Karno bested him, but didn't dominate like he did the previous year. Last year Karno's year end FG% was better but FT% was worse than Zeus. Karno got 0.6 more Rb, 1.6 more points and 1 more assist per game in slightly fewer minutes. No question Karno was better than Zeus last year but not by as much as the previous year. No question Karno will be much improved this year compared to last year. It's a great matchup that karno wins again this year. But Zeus is a really good player and should not be underestimated because nobody on our team can handle him but Karno..

ProjectMKUltra5
10-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Allonzo Trier is the guy I'm worried about. Kid is probably the best pure scorer in CBB right out the gate.

kitzbuel
10-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Two years ago Karno owned Tarczewski (Zeus) and was a much better player. Last year Zeus had beefed up his body and improved his all round game a lot. Karno bested him, but didn't dominate like he did the previous year. Last year Karno's year end FG% was better but FT% was worse than Zeus. Karno got 0.6 more Rb, 1.6 more points and 1 more assist per game in slightly fewer minutes. No question Karno was better than Zeus last year but not by as much as the previous year. No question Karno will be much improved this year compared to last year. It's a great matchup that karno wins again this year. But Zeus is a really good player and should not be underestimated because nobody on our team can handle him but Karno..

good news is that Zeus has been chasing Karno.