• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Outstanding Jon Rothstein Q & A with Mark Few

this piece from CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein is just full of stuff to make your pulse race in anticipation.
    CBS Sports: Your team this year returns arguably the best front court in the sport with Kyle Wiltjer, Domantas Sabonis, and Przemek Karnowski. What's going to be biggest differences in that trio this year compared to last season?

Few: I think we're going to try to play them together for stretches of games and try to make that work. They are our three best players. I think there's certainly some maturity that's been added to their games. You'll see that in their skill or just their physical development. Przemek had some medical issues that got squared away so he's as lean as he's ever been and as in shape as he's ever been. I think with Domas -- he was 18 last year and he's 19 this year. He's maturing as we speak. His game is mature, but emotionally he's matured. I think all of those things will hopefully show themselves this season.

CBS Sports: There were seven games last season where Sabonis was perfect from the field. What do you think the national perception would be of this guy if he wasn't playing behind a potential first-team All-American (Wiltjer) and Karnowski?

Few: If you look at Domas he was always playing big minutes and at big times in the game. We always had a lot of confidence in playing him and also going to him in big moments. I think he's such a team guy that he doesn't get as caught up in numbers and things like that. He truly is a guy that's solely focused on team and winning. So I think we've got to still encourage him.

He's also a perfectionist so if he makes seven shots and misses the eighth he likes to dwell on the one he missed. I think we've got to a great job of helping him focus on the seven shots he did make. I think hopefully he'll be able to show how he's expanded his game and his array of shots and range and skill set more than he did last year. I think he knows that we're counting on our three front court guys where last year we were counting on our guards.
    CBS Sports: A lot of people nationally aren't all that familiar with Silas Melson, but he gets rave reviews from everyone inside your program. How would you describe his game for those who haven't seen him?

Few: He's an explosive scorer with a nice pull-up game which everybody talks about being a lost art in college basketball. He's really got that. I think we're just kind of scratching the surface with the type of defender he can be. We obviously need that to come along. He's a guy that can handle it, he can shoot it from deep, and thus far in his career he can really get it going in bunches. When he hits his first couple, you starting thinking look out! Hopefully he can strive for a little more consistency and I think he's a guy that like Josh Perkins pinch hit at times last year, but in the long run that should really help him this year. I think he'll be able to kind of showcase some of his skills and the reasons why we brought him in here.
    • Feb 2013

Exciting stuff. Thanks, ZN.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Kinda drifted into coach speak on Melson: "he can, hopefully, I think."

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

Nothing on Wiltjer, thats a happy relief when there is so much press focused on him. Sabonis expanding his game sounds intriguing, and I read it like Jazz did, "he is capable..."

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
          Nothing on Wiltjer, thats a happy relief when there is so much press focused on him. Sabonis expanding his game sounds intriguing, and I read it like Jazz did, "he is capable..."
          I mean with respect to Melson, not DS.

Comment

• hooter73
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            I mean with respect to Melson, not DS.
            Yep, I'm with you. Sabonis good. Melson, coach speak.

Comment

• Zag Man
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2010

Thanks!

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
              this piece from CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein is just full of stuff to make your pulse race in anticipation.
              Thanks for sharing this article.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

I didn't read Melson comments like that. The big word that stuck out to me was consistency. He's got the game but may be lacking the consistency that is warranted at this level.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                  Banned
                  • May 2010

Melson is Super Low-key.

I remember when GU fans said last year, Melson was an NBA prospect. Now they doubt him, I will side with Melson.

Smoove ‏@KampaignSilas · Oct 15
                  Staying as lowkey as possible
                  Smoove ‏@KampaignSilas · Oct 15
                  Nobody needs to know about me lol
                  IMO, Silas Melson will bring in bigger numbers than GBJ did during his last two seasons. ( Yes I know Melson has 3 seasons left.)

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=ZagaZags;1138997]I remember when GU fans said last year, Melson was an NBA prospect. Now they doubt him, I will side with Melson.

That's damning with faint praise, ZZ. Especially in the context of the NBA talk of last year. As we all know, sometimes talent does not develop or develops late. Melson as the #1 concern is a wonderful statement on the Zags' prospects overall, wouldn't you agree?

Comment

• Zagger
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

Pangos & Bell were such a constant presence and force on the floor that this season should allow more chemistries to be explored with P&B's absence. I feel this situation will benefit Melson. I didn't feel Silas quite found a comfy fit having to come in when Josh got whacked. Perhaps this season things will mesh/meld better with Silas and the current roster. I'm eager to see how well Josh, Silas, Draino & McC work the floor, help one another score and work with the bigs. The Zags are plenty deep in talent. But it'll take spiffy teamwork to go deep into the season.

Comment

• Zaga
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        Kinda drifted into coach speak on Melson: "he can, hopefully, I think."
                        Seen coaches (pro) challenge players publically over the years but that is not a coach Few trait. ... Silas needs to take it as a challenge. If he really is a future pro that is all the motivation one should need don't you think? There are Fishermen and Bait Cutters! Mark Few only recruits Fishermen! Let's fish for win's this year BOYZ and the only "cutters" will be for a piece of the net!

Comment

• raise the zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2011

McClellan is ahead of him on depth chart for the same position.

Silas will get many opportunities, just as he did last year, and his time will come.

Melson might be the only "5-tool" player on the team, meaning he has all the blue-chip attributes within him.

However, until he learns how to pass the ball & find an open teammate within the framework of the offense…he'll be held back…

Tough to teach vision and to play 'selfish' unselfish basketball. Silas needs to understand the difference. Right now, he's not afraid to take the shot, can even score in bunches, but he's a selfish player. ESPN said the same about him in HS. All the talent in the world, yet doesn't understand how to incorporate in his teammates on the court.

Imagine if players like Nigel Williams-Goss had his length, athleticism, shot, quickness, etc?! or IF a player like Silas had his vision/awareness?

Top-5 pick, maybe higher.

Get it?

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

That was Mark Few (through Fran Fraschilla) that said that Silas Melson was perhaps Gonzaga's top NBA prospect, and that he was red shirting).

Later clarification was that Few meant after a few years in the program ie Melson wasn't currently an NBA prospect but would be after he developed.

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                            I remember when GU fans said last year, Melson was an NBA prospect. Now they doubt him, I will side with Melson.

IMO, Silas Melson will bring in bigger numbers than GBJ did during his last two seasons. ( Yes I know Melson has 3 seasons left.)
                            sigpic
                            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                            ——-
                            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                              I'm eager to see how well Josh, Silas, Draino & McC work the floor, help one another score and work with the bigs. The Zags are plenty deep in talent. But it'll take spiffy teamwork to go deep into the season.
                              Well said. Identifies the key unknown as we await the debut of the 2015-16 squad.
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X