PDA

View Full Version : SR story on Perkins

Radbooks
10-14-2015, 06:18 PM
There's an article in the Spokesman (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/14/gonzaga-point-guard-josh-perkins-not-a-gunner-but-/) tonight about Perkins and also some info about KW

About the time the Blue team slipped into a 10-point deficit during Gonzaga’s scrimmage Saturday, coach Mark Few instructed point guard Josh Perkins to be more aggressive looking for his shot.

Perkins quickly drove for a bucket, two of his 17 points in the final 9:15 to trigger Blue’s 39-35 victory over Red at Kraziness in the Kennel. All of the usual “just a scrimmage” caveats apply, but it was an impressive reminder of the redshirt freshman’s versatile game.

maynard g krebs
10-14-2015, 08:31 PM
"You're going to see a lot more turnovers, but maybe more athletic and the speed will change a lot."

Interesting. You can play slow and cautious and limit turnovers, or play a higher risk/reward game. With the front line being what it is, I wasn't anticipating a racehorse style for this year's team; last year wasn't exactly slowdown; faster than last year is pretty fast. Sounds like they want to pressure the ball, force turnovers or quick shots and run.

ZagNative
10-14-2015, 09:00 PM
This thread needs a pic!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GqakNjTBN7A/Vh8uYaPkJcI/AAAAAAAClEk/p8-ZQp_CHnQ/s800-Ic42/68baff8edbff4197ba09bcecaabfd21d.jpg

MDABE80
10-14-2015, 11:52 PM
"You're going to see a lot more turnovers, but maybe more athletic and the speed will change a lot."<----not for long I'd bet. NO TURNS!

TheGonzagaFactor
10-15-2015, 06:23 AM
"You're going to see a lot more turnovers, but maybe more athletic and the speed will change a lot."

Interesting. You can play slow and cautious and limit turnovers, or play a higher risk/reward game. With the front line being what it is, I wasn't anticipating a racehorse style for this year's team; last year wasn't exactly slowdown; faster than last year is pretty fast. Sounds like they want to pressure the ball, force turnovers or quick shots and run.

With our bigs, this makes me think we will be able to play a slower, grind it out style or a fast tempo... a sign of an elite team. *refills beer bong with kool aid*

TexasZagFan
10-15-2015, 06:30 AM
"You're going to see a lot more turnovers, but maybe more athletic and the speed will change a lot."<----not for long I'd bet. NO TURNS!

With the shot clock dipping to 30 seconds, the pace will inevitably be faster.

Coach Crazy
10-15-2015, 12:33 PM

Whether it is Coach Few evolving from a style perspective as a coach, or simply knowing that he can now do more because he has the horses for it, there isn't really much this team can't do. So deep, so balanced. Last year the coaching staff stated it was a learning experience dealing with all the talent, now it seems like the next task is developing the right game flow for that talent. If they can do that, I don 't think we should be doing anything less than looking forward to the EE or FF.

And another EE may very well take us beyond exponential growth and right to the door step of critical mass.

hooter73
10-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Im hoping to see some 3/4 or full court press. Dont know if we've done that more than in a last second situation since Goodson was here.

Zaga
10-15-2015, 12:45 PM
I will be shocked if JP comes out intimidated or timid. Same goes for the rest of our guards. Fast or slow Few will have the team ready to win and win BIG! Please, please, please be true............. Go Zags!

Coach Crazy
10-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Im hoping to see some 3/4 or full court press. Dont know if we've done that more than in a last second situation since Goodson was here.

I'm a sucker for heavy pressure defense. I'm a fan of the the type of defense that just doesn't get played anymore. A good trap and a good press will just about make my day, everyday.

Hoopaholic
10-15-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm a sucker for heavy pressure defense. I'm a fan of the the type of defense that just doesn't get played anymore. A good trap and a good press will just about make my day, everyday.

I like the way you think

Coach Crazy
10-15-2015, 04:16 PM
I like the way you think

Sadly, the days of Bob Kloppenburg- and Nolan Richardson-type play may never come back. Thank goodness for video footage.

jazzdelmar
10-15-2015, 05:31 PM
I will be shocked if JP comes out intimidated or timid. Same goes for the rest of our guards. Fast or slow Few will have the team ready to win and win BIG! Please, please, please be true............. Go Zags!

At some point this year, the board will speculate on whether JP would have displaced KP last season

zag67
10-15-2015, 06:35 PM
I think that we may see some 3/4 to slow the other team time and waste time in getting into their offense. With the new 30 second clock, forcing them into taking extra time to get started will help.

Hoopaholic
10-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Sadly, the days of Bob Kloppenburg- and Nolan Richardson-type play may never come back. Thank goodness for video footage.

there are still trace's of that ideology out there......

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-16-2015, 03:52 AM
I think that we may see some 3/4 to slow the other team time and waste time in getting into their offense. With the new 30 second clock, forcing them into taking extra time to get started will help.

I had the great pleasure of living in College Park Maryland for a few years and saw quite a few Terps games. Gary Williams' full-court pressure schemes were really, really fun to watch. I do not see Zags going that route when PK and KW are on the court together, but when Sabonis is playing the '4' the 1-2-1-1 press could definitely work, imho. Here's a great resource for any coaches out there:
http://www.basketballstore-coachesclipboard.net/bd-02473-gary-williams-the-complete-guide-to-full-court-pressure-defense.html

Mantua
10-17-2015, 10:36 AM
I had the great pleasure of living in College Park Maryland for a few years and saw quite a few Terps games. Gary Williams' full-court pressure schemes were really, really fun to watch. I do not see Zags going that route when PK and KW are on the court together, but when Sabonis is playing the '4' the 1-2-1-1 press could definitely work, imho. Here's a great resource for any coaches out there:
http://www.basketballstore-coachesclipboard.net/bd-02473-gary-williams-the-complete-guide-to-full-court-pressure-defense.html

I miss the press too. It is fun to watch and it can wreak havoc on opponents. I agree the options you put forward. The press requires quickness and teams will be playing even faster with the 30 second clock.

seacatfan
10-17-2015, 10:53 AM
At some point this year, the board will speculate on whether JP would have displaced KP last season

I sincerely hope not. There is NO WAY Few would've replaced KP with JP as the starter last year. That being said KP is gone now, it's JP's time and I am very enthusiastic about what will unfold.

Zagcity
10-17-2015, 11:31 AM

Nadda :lmao: