PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer - SI Player of the Year Projection

ZagNative
10-14-2015, 08:10 AM
By Luke Winn for SI: (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/10/13/player-year-wooden-naismith-kyle-wiltjer-ben-simmons)

1. Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga

Info: 6'10", 240 lbs, SF/PF, senior
Projected raw stats: 21.0 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 apg
Projected advanced stats: 127.9 Offensive Rating on 26% usage

SI forecasts Wiltjer to lead the nation in scoring and be its top high-usage, high efficiency scorer, while playing for a top-10 team. That's a POY formula. Gonzaga's willingness to play a three-big lineupówith Wiltjer at small forward and Domantas Sabonis and Przemek Karnowski on the blocksófrees more minutes for Wiltjer to boost his candidacy.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Nice to see we have a "willingness" to play a 3 big lineup... when we haven't even done it yet.

exclusivelee
10-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Don't think they were on the court together once last season, yet Nunez was on the court with 2 of them a couple times

Overall, our bigs in 2014-15 were better than in 2010-11 (when we last tried to do with Sacre (Jr), Harris (So), & Olynyk (So)), and should be better again this year. I'd love to see the 3 big lineup become a success, but I think it will be tough trying to defend quicker small forwards, and we already had a difficult time defending BYU with 2 bigs on the floor and their quick offense

hooter73
10-14-2015, 09:51 AM
He's going to have to be transformative to be a top 3 POY candidate. Even higher percentages while adding new aspects and doing more than scoring... which is going to be dang near impossible with what he will be surrounded with. Even if he can create his own shot, I guarantee guards are going to sag off of our young back court to double him, swat at him and otherwise hold him down. He will have to mix Ammo like shooting with even more attitude and toughness. I for one think he can do it but I sure dont know how. The kid is a winner. What new dimension he can add without losing anything else is going to be what will gain traction.

MDABE80
10-14-2015, 10:35 AM
I suspect Few will run the offense through him. He'll get minutes, points and lotsa media attention. His rebounding wasn't all that bad last year. If he can do 8 rpg and move his feet of defense, he's got a great chance. He's not got nor will he have Adam's fire..and he not abusive either so there's that/:)
I think this team will surprise lots of people. COnerns do include Karno's health.
On the other side, EMAC is eyepopping and Jenkins looks ot be the star in eveolution we'd hoped for.
Happy to see Kyle aand GU getting attention. Fleeing Kentucky seems to be working out.

sage
10-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Fleeing Kentucky seems to be working out.

And every article is quick to point that out. Kentuk is getting too much free press off of it!!

The writers never let a person get credit for what they are or are doing if they can add a tag. "son of", "transfer", " has a balck Lab for a pet" (:>))))