PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer on the Karl Malone Award Watchlist

ZagNative
10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Link (http://www.hoophall.com/news/2015/10/13/twenty-candidates-announced-for-2016-karl-malone-award.html)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TrxxLPN4LTk/Vh2AddD_wYI/AAAAAAAClCw/TcMtxnEEG98/s720-Ic42/2015-10-13%252520Kyle%252520Wiltjer%252520Karl%252520Malon e%252520Award%252520Watchlist.jpg

Twenty Candidates Announced for 2016 Karl Malone Award
Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Top Collegiate Power Forwards in the Nation Named to Watch List

SPRINGFIELD, MASS. – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today the 20 watch list members for the 2016 Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award. Named after Hall of Famer and two-time NBA Most Valuable Player Karl Malone, the annual honor in its second year recognizes the top power forwards in Division I men’s college basketball. A national committee comprised of top college basketball personnel determined the watch list of 20 candidates.

“I’m grateful and honored to be recognized by the Basketball Hall of Fame and these 20 candidates should be as well,” said Karl Malone, a 2010 inductee of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. “Three finalists from last season [Ellis, Niang and Wiltjer] are returning to the watch list and I look forward to seeing how they have improved their games in the off season.”

By mid-February, the watch list of 20 players for the 2016 Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award will be narrowed to just 10. In March, five finalists will be presented to Mr. Malone and the Hall of Fame’s selection committee. The winner of the 2016 Karl Malone Award will be presented at the ESPN College Basketball Awards presented by Wendy’s from Club Nokia in Los Angeles, CA on Friday, April 8, 2016. Broadcast information will be released at a later date.

Last season, Montrezl Harrell of Louisville was named the inaugural winner of the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award.

2016 Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award Candidates

Rico Gathers, Baylor

Taurean Prince, Baylor

Ivan Rabb, California

Tony Parker, UCLA

Dorian Finney-Smith, Florida

Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga

Georges Niang, Iowa State

Perry Ellis, Kansas

Shawn Long, Louisiana-Lafayette

Henry Ellenson, Marquette

Shaq Goodwin, Memphis

Brice Johnson, North Carolina

Beejay Anya, North Carolina State

Ryan Spangler, Oklahoma

Caleb Swanigan, Purdue

Markus Kennedy, SMU

Jameel Warney, Stony Brook

Jordan Loveridge, Utah

Alec Peters, Valparaiso

Anton Grady, Wichita State
Nice to see Ryan Spangler on the list as well.

hooter73
10-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Ok riddle me this, who from the list of past POY winners is Wiltjer better than?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._men%27s_college_basketball_national_p layer_of_the_year_awards

I think he tops McDermott pretty handily.

seacatfan
10-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Link (http://www.hoophall.com/news/2015/10/13/twenty-candidates-announced-for-2016-karl-malone-award.html)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TrxxLPN4LTk/Vh2AddD_wYI/AAAAAAAClCw/TcMtxnEEG98/s720-Ic42/2015-10-13%252520Kyle%252520Wiltjer%252520Karl%252520Malon e%252520Award%252520Watchlist.jpg

Nice to see Ryan Spangler on the list as well.

Jordan Loveridge? He's a wing as far as I know. Maybe he played 4 some if Utah played a really small lineup, but that is a huge stretch. So is having UCLA's Parker on the list. He had a handful of good games last year, but also disappeared completely in about half of their games. And he'll be playing C rather than PF most of the time probably. Who comes up with these watch lists? I really don't like having freshmen on preseason watch lists either. You can always vote for them at the end of the season if they proved themselves to be the best, but as of yet they haven't played 1 SECOND of college basketball. What can you possibly be putting them on this list based on? Nothing except hype.

exclusivelee
10-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Interesting exclusion of Sabonis (unless they are classifying him as a center as with Karnowski)... Villanova has 2 nominees for the Cousy award & Baylor has 2 for the Malone award

Wiltjer won the fan voting for this award last year, but ultimately the committee chose to give it to Montrezl Harrell

That BBN fan support...

On another note, Wichita State fans really were diligent in voting:

http://www.hoophallawards.com/vote_results.php

3XaZag
10-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Are there two power forwards with a greater variance in styles than Karl Malone and Kyle Wiljter?

I understand they play(ed) the same position, but the comparison makes my head spin.

seacatfan
10-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Good point about Sabonis. He's been at least as productive as several guys on this list (that are upper classmen) and he still has plenty of upside. As with most lists, this one is fairly dumb.

Several Pac 12 teams have their guy listed (even if he's not really a PF or won't be playing there primarily). Can't see any reason why Arizona's Ryan Anderson isn't included. He's a transfer and hasn't played for UA yet, but I believe in 3 seasons playing in the ACC at Boston College he never averaged less than 10 ppg, as much as around 14, and always in the 7-8 rpg average.

seacatfan
10-13-2015, 05:45 PM
As for Wiltjer, that picture of him (as well as the little bit of footage of the Kraziness in the Kennel I saw) looks to me like he gained some muscle during the off season. He wasn't exactly a pushover last year, but this year he might really surprise some people and be a beast in the low block.

ZagsGoZags
10-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Part of Karl Malone's greatness was getting fed by a pass-first oriented guard.
Part of Karno's value to the team his first two years, and Domas and Kyle last year was having Pangos feeding them lots of assists, with much help from the other DS (david stockton when he was here)
I have no concerns about Josh P. being a pass first team General, but I do hope Eric M. and esp. Silas M will be drilled on this, as well as having their own motivation to be looking for our bigs most of the time when they have the ball.
Kevin helped make Kyle W. look great last year, like John Stockton did for Karl.