PDA

View Full Version : Kraziness Updates

ZAGGED OUT
10-10-2015, 03:11 PM
For those of you there, help us working folk out!! Let's hear all your updates. Anybody live tweeting the event?

zagfan94
10-10-2015, 03:17 PM
https://www.periscope.tv/kreese555/1OwxWlpXdjwKQ

Kreese's stream for those looking.

ZagZombie
10-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Streaming live in Periscope, try this link and see if it works for you https://t.co/tBtGcq05oo

ZAGGED OUT
10-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Good feeds, thank you!! Updates still appreciated as I'm sure you guys can see a little more. Any noticeable physical changes in returning players?

cggonzaga
10-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Melson looks stronger and taller. Everybody looks great physically. Karno looks incredibly fit!

Very impressed by JWIII! Strong, athletic, battled the hell out of Sabonis. He's going to be a stud next year! Pretty sure I heard Tommy yell at the two to "calm down fellas" at one point.

jazzdelmar
10-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Josh?

jchocolate99
10-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Josh?

Perkins looked really good... had his three point shot, nice fade away mid jump shot and still has those amazing handles... Emac looked really good and aggressive too from what I was watching

GonzaGAW
10-10-2015, 05:45 PM
crowd was larger this year than last, and the intensity (loudness) was higher............at least until the scrimmage started and while the students maintained a high level of noise, the rest of the kennel was just a bunch of lookie loos.

great intro with members of the 99 team introduced. pre-intro video ended with heading of "unfinished business" and a cut to dranginis, wiltjer, McClelland and karno each saying "we have unfinished business" meaning they want a final four this year.

I saw brendan, with his mom and dad sitting behind the red teams bench.

quick run down on players, to my opinion.
karno, yes he looked very fit, but he was the only player who did not play, must have some minor injury?
McClellan was active and scored in double figures
sabonis of course gets the "active" award, it the ball is off the rim in his mind its his, he is the only player on the floor. he made like 5 or 6 from the line, looked comfortable at the line.
perkins looked comfortable, had a very nice drive to the basket for a bucket and a nice step back 3.
Edwards played lots of minutes but never seemed to do much with the ball in his hands, I can't say if he even took a shot.
melson, looked rusty to me, shots in 3 point competition and in game often were off.

so many new faces frankly I had a hard time learning by sight Williams, goss-williams, alberts, jones and others.

ZagaZags
10-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Josh?

Will Sherratt ‏@willsherratt

.@EasyMcClellan on having @JoshPerk13 back on the court: "He has the potential to be the best PG in the nation." #GoZags @700espn

jchocolate99
10-10-2015, 05:47 PM
That transfer from Rice looked really athletic... just needs to work on his jump shot but I think we're gonna have a good one there next year. Sabonis looked great and aggessive... Karno you could tell was battling a cold or something as he was sneezing and coughing on the bench didnt play. Edwards didnt stand out much and couldve been more aggressive. JW3 is gonna be a stud for us next year which is very good news just incase we lose Sabonis. I would have liked to see more jump shots made from our guards but it is still very early so I'm not going to concern myself too much with that yet... Emac to me tonight made a great case to be the starting 2 and I'm a huge Melson fan

cggonzaga
10-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Agreed on Perkins. Potential to be the best in the country is there. McClellan looked terrific as well. Strong and athletic. Very big, strong and athletic team. Airport team!

cggonzaga
10-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Agreed on Melson chocolate. Huge fan but McClellan looked incredible tonight.

NotoriousZ
10-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Biggest turnout ever! Got there at 4:03 and was told they were at full capacity and were not letting people in. A couple minutes later they had the go ahead to admit 30 more people and as I was coming in Few was into his speech. Couldn't catch much but he did say the words "Final Four."

Perkins and McClellan are going to be amazing. Dranginis looks very comfortable also. Shem was missing from the autograph line...they said he was sick.

That was so much fun!

spike_jr
10-10-2015, 06:20 PM
From what I saw this evening, I would have to say that your starting back court would be Perkins, Dranginis, and McClellan. Not too worried about the front court as long as there are no injuries. I like what I saw in Alberts. I am not quite sure how to describe Melson - maybe pressing a little bit?

Few spoke about how nothing is given and that GU will have to earn anything they get - whether it be a conference championship or an NCAA bid. He also uttered the words "Final Four" which I do not think I have ever heard him say in this context. Maybe a good omen?

GU really needs to avoid the injury bug this year. There are only 9 scholarship players + 3 walk-ons + 3 red shirts.

cggonzaga
10-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Appears their motto this year is "Unfinished Business" which I think is awesome.

Zags_Fanatic
10-10-2015, 06:29 PM
McClellan, Perkins, KW and Domas were the highlights for sure. McClellan is going to give Dranginis a run for minutes this year. They each bring different skillsets to the table and should both have a valuable place in the rotation. I think Domas had 5-6 amazing rebounds in the first 5 minutes of the scrimmage.

ZagNative
10-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Unusually newsy Fewie. (Sample: Shem's got pneumonia.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlohMRRguR0&feature=youtu.be

RenoZag
10-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks for posting the Few interview, ZN.

MDABE80
10-10-2015, 06:56 PM
McClellan, Perkins, KW and Domas were the highlights for sure. McClellan is going to give Dranginis a run for minutes this year. They each bring different skillsets to the table and should both have a valuable place in the rotation. I think Domas had 5-6 amazing rebounds in the first 5 minutes of the scrimmage.
Emac will be on the opposite side of the court separated by Jenkins from Dranginis is what I'm thinking. Melson and Alberts will get their minutes too. Best guess is that the guard core will be superior as will the bigs. POY plus Two of the top 20 bigs in the country. This will be nothing to fool with. AZ is my target.. UW is far distant. If Jenks understands the system, there's no reason...at least I don't see many......that with some luck, this team could be a 1 -3 loss team. Top 10 all season long.

ZagNative
10-10-2015, 06:59 PM
GoZags.com story (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101015aaa.html):
MBB Puts on Show at Kraziness in the Kennel
Josh Perkins scored 17 points in the 20-minute scrimmage

SPOKANE, Wash. -- The Gonzaga men's basketball team put on a show in front of a packed house at the Kraziness in the Kennel event at the McCarthey Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.

Fans were treated to a special player and coaching staff introduction, recognition of the '99 Elite Eight team and a pair of shooting contests before the Blue-White scrimmage stole the show.

Senior forward Kyle Wiltjer won the three-point completion over redshirt sophomore Dustin Triano and `99er Casey Calvary's squad teamed up with Kyle Dranginis and a lucky fan to win the shooting competition.

In the 20-minute scrimmage, redshirt freshman point guard Josh Perkins showed the crowd his skills in pouring in 17 points to lead the Blue to a 39-35 win. In one stretch, Perkins made three straight buckets for his team with a three-pointer, reverse layin and a three-point play.

Transfer Johnathan Williams also scored double digits for the Blue with 10 points and five rebounds in his first-ever appearance in front of the Gonzaga faithful.

On the other side, Domantas Sabonis, Eric McClellan and Wiltjer each had 11 to combine for 33 of their team's 35 points. Sabonis added seven rebounds while Wiltjer had six and McClellan five.

The Zags will be open the 2015-16 season with an exhibition against Eastern Oregon on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 5 p.m., at the McCarthey Athletic Center. The regular season will begin in Okinawa, Japan, against Pittsburgh in the Armed Forces Classic on ESPN on Oct. 13 at 4 p.m.
Also chek out the video on the page.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-10-2015, 07:02 PM
GU really needs to avoid the injury bug this year. There are only 9 scholarship players + 3 walk-ons + 3 red shirts.

How did the walk-ons look? With the short list of available scholarship players, we may need one or two of them to play some real minutes over the course of the season, especially if illness or injuries limit the other players.

ZagNative
10-10-2015, 07:07 PM
GonzagaBulldogs highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPtmv21Kdo&feature=em-uploademail

ZagNative
10-10-2015, 07:15 PM
From Twitter:

Eric McClellan ‏@EasyMcClellan

Thanks to all the fans showing love at Kraziness in the Kennel tonight!!! The energy is always amazing in that place!! You guys are awesome!

DixieZag
10-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Coach says Shem could be out a month with pneumonia.

Tough on the big guy. I've never had it but seen it drain plenty of others.

Hope he gets lots of rest. Good news is he is a senior, not going to take a ton of time to get the system going in his head - plus played ultra competitive ball all summer, might need a bit of a break.

ZagNative
10-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Preview of Kraziness on SWX with Josh and Silas. (http://www.swxrightnow.com/category/160222/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=1)

zagamatic
10-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Perkins was aggressive and I noticed that he threw some guys open like a quarterback does in football. In other words, follow where I put the pass and you'll be open even though you're not right now. Impressive.
Edwards didn't have it going offensively, but was probably the best rim protector. He was going straight up, even when he jumped it was straight up absorbing contact without fouling.
McClellan was also impressive running point for his squad opposite of Perkins. Had an air of confidence about him.
Dranginis was solid including a steal to end the scrimmage. I have a feeling that he's going to save our bacon defensively a couple of times. He'll be our Pendo / Hart of this year's team, but with a lot of minutes.
The rest of the guards were solid.
And Sabonis and Wiltjer looked like they're picking up where they left off.
Keep in mind that all of the players in the rotation this year were on the team last year, so they know each other pretty well. I think that this is the reason why JW III kinda stood out as he's one of the new guys, so the rest of the guys aren't used to guarding him as well yet.
On a side note, Sabonis appeared to have taken a good shot to the mouth at some point (didn't see who got him) as he was pulling out his mouth guard and holding his face. But don't panic, it wasn't bad enough for hihimto come out or even miss the autograph line. Also, Triano was wearing a face protection device. Not sure what the story is there.
Overall, the guys looked good. And as mentioned, it was literally standing room only.

cggonzaga
10-10-2015, 09:11 PM
It was an inadvertent elbow from Williams. Like I said those guys were going at it all scrimmage. They're going to make each other even better.

GPGUgrad
10-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Here is a short 6 minute video shot on my iPhone of the beginning and introductions.

Enjoy!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/gpgugrad/Kennel%20Club_zpsy9r6wsff.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/gpgugrad/media/Kennel%20Club_zpsy9r6wsff.jpg.html)

Click on the link below to see the youtube video:
https://youtu.be/HM-7TlNtxpo

ZagaZags
10-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Here is a short 6 minute video shot on my iPhone of the beginning and introductions.

Enjoy!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll44/gpgugrad/Kennel%20Club_zpsy9r6wsff.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/gpgugrad/media/Kennel%20Club_zpsy9r6wsff.jpg.html)

Great stuff, thanks.

Click on the link below to see the youtube video:
https://youtu.be/HM-7TlNtxpo
More video from KREM 2
http://www.krem.com/story/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/2015/10/10/kraziness-kennel-gonzaga/73763010/

Goshzagit
10-11-2015, 06:23 AM
JWIII is impressive. Length, skill, hustle, tough, yet heard he played too intensely vs Sabonis.

Is that even possible? As a scout team player and redshirt, you need to go hard, yet throwing elbows around vs starters?

A bittersweet approach, imo. He could have easily broken Sabonis jaw.

Coach Few is certainly high on him -- "Williams is just a joy to coach, he picks up everything we throw at him, and has been playing a high level."

This was just Domas' SECOND practice since returning from FIBA. wow.

Karno hasn't practiced at all and out at least another 2 wks. ouch.

BobZag
10-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Coach says Shem could be out a month with pneumonia.

Tough on the big guy. I've never had it but seen it drain plenty of others.

Hope he gets lots of rest. Good news is he is a senior, not going to take a ton of time to get the system going in his head - plus played ultra competitive ball all summer, might need a bit of a break.

You never want pneumonia. I got it for the first a couple years ago and it was the worst thing I ever had. By far.

ZagNative
10-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Video from SWX (http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/30233397/gonzaga-gears-up-for-basketball-season-with-kraziness-in-the-kennel)

hondo
10-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks ZN, you are the best.

jchocolate99
10-11-2015, 10:13 AM
my goodness I would think this thread would be at 5 or 6 pages by now from fans who didn't make it wanting every bit of information they could get... guess if the thread isn't getting hijacked not much to talk about ;)

To goshzagit, JW3 did play hard and aggressive but he was going against Sabonis so you have no choice but to try and match his aggressiveness. JW3 will be a good one for us and the fact he has a year to work with Knight will make it even better for us because if Sabonis leaves he'll be the big we'll have to count on until Collins and Tillie get going... Yes, I left out Edwards and will continue to do so until I see something more from him. The potential is there but eventually potentially needs to show into production and what I saw last night did not impress me

bartruff1
10-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks ZN

cggonzaga
10-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Agree with you chocolate on JWill's aggressive play. Wasn't anything malicious. Don't agree with you on Edwards. Looked good on defense. His offense will come. He actually has great touch and footwork. He will help this year but needs to get his game legs back under him. Keep in mind in a game like this he's going up against All American/NBA type guys.

This team is different than most GU teams. This team will be good from the outside but not great shooters like most GU guards. But they more than make up for it by being strong, big and physical. Every guard we have can get to the rim and finish. I was cautiously optimistic about our guards before. The way Perkins and McClellan played in particular has made me very excited for our possibilities this season.

Worthington
10-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Good gosh, we've got a lot of talent on the roster this year.

The biggest takeaway for me was the backcourt. With Bell and Pangos gone, I felt like this was the first chance for our new guards to really step up and show what they've got as number one options. You could clearly see the difference in McClellan who was much more aggressive than he was at any point last season. I said it in the "Who will be the biggest surprise" thread, but I think McClellan will be an X-factor for this team. No one is expecting anything huge out of him this season, but I feel like he's got the potential to be the best player on the floor for us for stretches this season. He's got NBA athleticism. And I know some people might say, "Nunez had NBA athleticism, Edi had NBA athleticism", but as an NBA fan I can honestly say those guys weren't NBA athletes. McClellan has the height, strength, quickness, speed, and explosiveness to fit in at that level. If the rest of his game has even partially caught up to his athleticism during the offseason then watch out. Perkins is just the real deal. He just possesses those little extra elements to his game that separates a great player from a really good player. The insane court vision, the shot off the dribble, the nasty crossover, etc. He's going to have a fantastic freshman season, but by his sophomore year I think he will already be a household name in the college basketball world (largely due to his ability, but also because of how much fun he is to watch).

Love what I've heard about JWIII's performance. His presence on the team is going to be a huge factor for us this season. For our bigs to be able to go up against a competitive and elite athlete every practice is going to be incredibly valuable preparation for the HM teams we'll face in the postseason. And on the flipside, for JWIII to go from being the best player on his team last year to suddenly being arguably the 4th best big man on this team has to light a pretty huge fire underneath him. Not to mention, our bigs are all euro style players that can probably help him add a few new wrinkles to his game.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Just to gild the lily a bit. If we had Williams THIS year, a FF for sure, IMO.

jchocolate99
10-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Agree with you chocolate on JWill's aggressive play. Wasn't anything malicious. Don't agree with you on Edwards. Looked good on defense. His offense will come. He actually has great touch and footwork. He will help this year but needs to get his game legs back under him. Keep in mind in a game like this he's going up against All American/NBA type guys.

This team is different than most GU teams. This team will be good from the outside but not great shooters like most GU guards. But they more than make up for it by being strong, big and physical. Every guard we have can get to the rim and finish. I was cautiously optimistic about our guards before. The way Perkins and McClellan played in particular has made me very excited for our possibilities this season.

yeah, I agree with you about our guards. With Perkins, Wiltjer, Melson, Alberts and Draginis there is potential to be just as deadly from 3pt with this team but if they are not they have the athleticism to slash to the hoop to score... that is what really killed us in the Duke game not having that guard who go really go to the hoop when the shots weren't dropping.... but the good news is our guards ARE good enough shooters from outside that it should keep defenses honest and not pack the post. I'm pumped for this year and my goodness how good did Perkins look out there?? He looked so comfortable and determined. My friend made a good point when he was warming up that perkins just looked so focused off to the side by himself with the trainers going through his shooting routine.... the future is bright for Josh

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 11:08 AM
All these hosannas to JP, justified to be sure, just tick me off anew about how losing him to thuggery hurt us so badly last year.

Zerogame
10-11-2015, 11:14 AM
I was amazed at the size difference between the 99 squad and this years group, they towered over the "old guys" at every position. Height and weight don't equal heart, but damn...
Secondly, the coaches place such a high priority on the quality of the kids they recruit it makes it easy to be a Zag's fan.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 11:36 AM
I was amazed at the size difference between the 99 squad and this years group, they towered over the "old guys" at every position. Height and weight don't equal heart, but damn...
Secondly, the coaches place such a high priority on the quality of the kids they recruit it makes it easy to be a Zag's fan.

All due respect, Casey still had the biggest heart out there. With MS and the Bonus a close second.

jchocolate99
10-11-2015, 11:39 AM
All these hosannas to JP, justified to be sure, just tick me off anew about how losing him to thuggery hurt us so badly last year.

yeah losing Josh really hurt and Few even stated so in his post Kraziness interview... Had we had Josh I think we definitely win that Arizona game and maybe could've won the Duke game cause we could've put Perkins at the Point and Pangos at the 2 so he could hunt his shot... Only thing that sucks is if we make it to the promised land of a final four we have to play in that God awful stadium in Houston again

MDABE80
10-11-2015, 12:00 PM

This. There is a need for a 4th big. Edwards needs to grow up fast . I'm sure he will... Still a superior 4 (Williams) would be a huge boost.

titopoet
10-11-2015, 12:08 PM
All due respect, Casey still had the biggest heart out there. With MS and the Bonus a close second.

I don't think he meant heart. Casey was and is a legend. But the actual size of the current team.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 12:35 PM
I don't think he meant heart. Casey was and is a legend. But the actual size of the current team.

I do believe you are right, Tito. Thanks.

maynard g krebs
10-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the reports. Especially excited by reports on McClellan. Being healthy and being there from the start is going to be a huge difference for him imo. We know what we'll get from the big 3 and Perkins, and if McClellan comes through that's imo the key to the best year yet.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the reports. Especially excited by reports on McClellan. Being healthy and being there from the start is going to be a huge difference for him imo. We know what we'll get from the big 3 and Perkins, and if McClellan comes through that's imo the key to the best year yet.

+1 MGK

Reborn
10-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Thank you everyone. Reading this thread after watching the Seahawks lose makes me feel a lot better. I really enjoyed this so much. Great news about our guards, but I expected it. These kids are going to be great. I'm a little surprised to hear almost nothing about Wiltjer. I had pneumonia this summer and almost died one night. I couldn't breathe for over a minute and finally began slapping myself in the face real hard to shake me up. Thank God for that breath. I want to see this season so bad, and my oldest grandson is a senior on Davis HS football team, and he's really really fun to watch. He'll be playing at the next level. 5"11" 185 lb wide receiver and safety.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Thank you everyone. Reading this thread after watching the Seahawks lose makes me feel a lot better. I really enjoyed this so much. Great news about our guards, but I expected it. These kids are going to be great. I'm a little surprised to hear almost nothing about Wiltjer. I had pneumonia this summer and almost died one night. I couldn't breathe for over a minute and finally began slapping myself in the face real hard to shake me up. Thank God for that breath. I want to see this season so bad, and my oldest grandson is a senior on Davis HS football team, and he's really really fun to watch. He'll be playing at the next level. 5"11" 185 lb wide receiver and safety.

Life is good Bornie. U got the zags and a jock grandson I for one am glad you slapped yourself alive.

DixieZag
10-11-2015, 01:55 PM
I thought it was rather obvious that McClellan brought an entirely different look to the team last year when in. I analogize it to baseball when you have one of those crafty lefties (like me) that throw in the low to mid 80s with everything breaking 3 feet in different directions, and then bringing the guy in who throws mid 90s hitting corners.

The guards last year had all the weapons that made them all-time Zags, but then McClellan would come in and make them an entirely different Zag team b/c maybe the 3pt shooting went down a little, and maybe the offense wasn't as entirely smooth, but everything was faster, including defense and the opponent was just not ready for that. As I recall, he was nearly single handidly responsible for turning the entire tenor around in the game @ SMC. We had NO business winning that game, horrible effort on our part, except for the spark that happened at exactly the right time, oh, and a Bell 3 that could not have been more timely.

I see McClellan taking the Zags to a level not seen before in terms of speed/length, combine it with Perkins and his better than expected 3pt shooting and this can be a really special new look backcourt to go against a top 3 in the nation front court.

Am I right Jazz?

seacatfan
10-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Glad to hear all the sparkling reviews of Perkins. It's just a scrimmage, but it sounds great. I thought he has a chance to be special. Sounds like last night did nothing to dispel that notion.

Also really glad to hear how well McClellan played.

Was Nigel Williams-Goss on the floor at all? I don't think I've seen a single mention of him in this thread, although several about the other Williams that transferred from Mizzou.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 02:18 PM
I thought it was rather obvious that McClellan brought an entirely different look to the team last year when in. I analogize it to baseball when you have one of those crafty lefties (like me) that throw in the low to mid 80s with everything breaking 3 feet in different directions, and then bringing the guy in who throws mid 90s hitting corners.

The guards last year had all the weapons that made them all-time Zags, but then McClellan would come in and make them an entirely different Zag team b/c maybe the 3pt shooting went down a little, and maybe the offense wasn't as entirely smooth, but everything was faster, including defense and the opponent was just not ready for that. As I recall, he was nearly single handidly responsible for turning the entire tenor around in the game @ SMC. We had NO business winning that game, horrible effort on our part, except for the spark that happened at exactly the right time, oh, and a Bell 3 that could not have been more timely.

I see McClellan taking the Zags to a level not seen before in terms of speed/length, combine it with Perkins and his better than expected 3pt shooting and this can be a really special new look backcourt to go against a top 3 in the nation front court.

Am I right Jazz?

You be, 100%.

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear all the sparkling reviews of Perkins. It's just a scrimmage, but it sounds great. I thought he has a chance to be special. Sounds like last night did nothing to dispel that notion.

Also really glad to hear how well McClellan played.

Was Nigel Williams-Goss on the floor at all? I don't think I've seen a single mention of him in this thread, although several about the other Williams that transferred from Mizzou.

I recall seeing NWG was in civvies.

seacatfan
10-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks Jazz.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Probably about the fourth or fifth year in a row I've said this but in the autograph line I was again impressed with what an engaging and friendly group of young men the players are. Pretty cool how nice they are to people. Totally classy bunch!

ZagsGoZags
10-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Biggest impressions for me
Josh Perkins is the real deal, and he reminded me of Pangos at his first Kraziness in Kennel, played real, real hard. I told all my friends I think team with our 3 bigs and Perkins will be as good as last years squad by Christmas, and of course all the other players added in is terrific
The other big impression I got was Wiltjer's defense - he seems to have developed a lot of confidence, and broke up plays and shots, quicker feet than I remember from last year
I was intent on watching NWGoss but he never got off the bench during scrimmage, he must have some type of health issue, or injury, hope nothing serious,
Kennel club seems to have a few new routines
Also impressed with Bryan Alberts handles, I hope he and Kyle D. together can replace the quality we had a the 3 last year in Wesley.
I wish Melson looked to pass more often, esp. with 3 great bigs he needs to be looking to pass more, IMO. I would love it if he thought of himself as a volume passer as well as a volume shooter
Unless David Stockton keeps blowing up, I think Josh Perkins will not only make NBA but also go farther as a guard there than any of our guards since John Stockton. I am super impressed with Josh, seems to be skilled at all levels, including attitude and emotional maturity.
I hope Jerome is a better outside shooter in games than he was in the warm ups.

Coach Crazy
10-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Emac will be on the opposite side of the court separated by Jenkins from Dranginis is what I'm thinking. Melson and Alberts will get their minutes too. Best guess is that the guard core will be superior as will the bigs. POY plus Two of the top 20 bigs in the country. This will be nothing to fool with. AZ is my target.. UW is far distant. If Jenks understands the system, there's no reason...at least I don't see many......that with some luck, this team could be a 1 -3 loss team. Top 10 all season long.

I agree. We are incredibly blessed to be fans of this program.

OZZY
10-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone who went to Kraziness (lucky souls...).

Haven't had a chance to look at any of the video yet, but asking if Dustin Triano played in the scrimmage last night and whether anyone thinks he might get any meaningful minutes this year....

jazzdelmar
10-11-2015, 04:19 PM

Haven't had a chance to look at any of the video yet, but asking if Dustin Triano played in the scrimmage last night and whether anyone thinks he might get any meaningful minutes this year....

I think he won or was runner up in the three point contest.

cggonzaga
10-11-2015, 04:28 PM
I didn't touch much on Wiltjer Reborn because quite frankly he looked like his All American self. He's going to be a strong player of the year candidate. What's crazy is a starting 5 of Perkins, McClellan (I think), Dranginis, Wiltjer and Karno could each average double figures. Maybe not Dranginis but he'll be a 7-8ppg, 4-5rpg, 3-4apg type guy. Then you have Sabonis coming off the bench surly averaging double digit scoring and Melson that could easily score 20 on any given night. This team should average well over 80ppg and should be able to D teams up. I'll one up you Abe and say this is a top 5 team all year after winning the Atlantis tournament.

seacatfan
10-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Then you have Sabonis coming off the bench surly averaging double digit scoring

There's no need for Sabonis to be surly about averaging double digit scoring...just messin' with you, couldn't resist.

sittingon50
10-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Triano was wearing a protective mask so I'm sure that effected him. He played 17 minutes, was 0-3 (all 3's) and committed 6 fouls.

cggonzaga
10-11-2015, 05:34 PM
He will surely score double digits surly ;)

Zagguy
10-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Spent the day walking around Duke and UNC. Walked on Cameron Court and stood where the Cameron Crazies yell their hearts out. even got to talk to them as they stood in line for their own Craziness. As a GU grad from 75, and a long time season ticket holder, seeing all the banners and drinking in the tradition of Tabacco Road, and especially Duke, makes me even more amazed...and humbled...on how far we have come and who we still remain to be. coolest thing today? nobody thought I was wearing a Georgia shirt and many on Dukes campus went out of their way to say how much they like our Zags. again, we are blessed.

OZZY
10-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Triano was wearing a protective mask so I'm sure that effected him. He played 17 minutes, was 0-3 (all 3's) and committed 6 fouls.

Thanks 50, sounds like struggled a bit with the pace of the game with 6 fouls....

MDABE80
10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Spent the day walking around Duke and UNC. Walked on Cameron Court and stood where the Cameron Crazies yell their hearts out. even got to talk to them as they stood in line for their own Craziness. As a GU grad from 75, and a long time season ticket holder, seeing all the banners and drinking in the tradition of Tabacco Road, and especially Duke, makes me even more amazed...and humbled...on how far we have come and who we still remain to be. coolest thing today? nobody thought I was wearing a Georgia shirt and many on Dukes campus went out of their way to say how much they like our Zags. again, we are blessed.
Wherever I go, I get thesame thing. No guff, just admiration.

DixieZag
10-11-2015, 06:57 PM

I have heard it said that the Kennel club is the Cameron Crazies without the smug self-satisfaction.

Zagdawg
10-11-2015, 07:09 PM
http://www.swxrightnow.com/category/160222/video-center

Zagdawg
10-11-2015, 07:38 PM
TooLongJones ‏@Jeremy_Jones2 5m5 minutes ago
Last night was KRAZY with the best fans in the country! #krazinessinthekennel #zagup https://instagram.com/p/8uPxUeMS9c/

ZagaZags
10-11-2015, 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPtmv21Kdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZLWmE-u3JCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HM-7TlNtxpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HlohMRRguR0

ZagaZags
10-11-2015, 07:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5j7MCUKX_sg

Reborn
10-11-2015, 08:25 PM
I didn't touch much on Wiltjer Reborn because quite frankly he looked like his All American self. He's going to be a strong player of the year candidate. What's crazy is a starting 5 of Perkins, McClellan (I think), Dranginis, Wiltjer and Karno could each average double figures. Maybe not Dranginis but he'll be a 7-8ppg, 4-5rpg, 3-4apg type guy. Then you have Sabonis coming off the bench surly averaging double digit scoring and Melson that could easily score 20 on any given night. This team should average well over 80ppg and should be able to D teams up. I'll one up you Abe and say this is a top 5 team all year after winning the Atlantis tournament.

Thanks!!

kitzbuel
10-12-2015, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the vid links, ZZ.

Bogozags
10-12-2015, 05:05 AM

Reborn, glad to,see you're back posting and if you are not aware your PM Box is full.

Following what Jazz said, the world is right for you...with you having the Zags and a Gifted Grandson - CONGRATS!

TheGonzagaFactor
10-12-2015, 05:29 AM

Same as if we had Perkins last year. We've been one player away multiple times, hopefully this team has enough to get us over the hump.

sittingon50
10-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Same as if we had Perkins last year. We've been one player away multiple times, hopefully this team has enough to get us over the hump.

I think things may have to go perfectly, given the depth (or lack thereof) issue.

titopoet
10-12-2015, 07:32 AM

He started for the red squad and got plenty of minutes. He held his own, but I don't think many minutes for him as too many guards in front of him.

amaronizag
10-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Can anyone identify the short black kid with a red hoody and a purple or green backpack (forgot which) that sat behind the blue team bench during the warm ups? He was sitting near Brandon Bailey and his parents, talked to some players and coaches, and watched the video intently of last years games and plays. When the video was over, he walked back into the locker room. He came out talking to Zack Collins and sat next to him behind the blue team bench during the scrimmage. Thought (hoped) maybe it was that guard from Chicago we have been courting???

strikenowhere
10-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Can anyone identify the short black kid with a red hoody and a purple or green backpack (forgot which) that sat behind the blue team bench during the warm ups? He was sitting near Brandon Bailey and his parents, talked to some players and coaches, and watched the video intently of last years games and plays. When the video was over, he walked back into the locker room. He came out talking to Zack Collins and sat next to him behind the blue team bench during the scrimmage. Thought (hoped) maybe it was that guard from Chicago we have been courting???

I thought someone mentioned that Devin Culp was in attendance - I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of him with NWG as they went to the same high school?

amaronizag
10-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the response strike. This kid sat behind Goss in the pregame, but it wasn't Devin. He was shorter than Devin by quite a bit.

MDABE80
10-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Culp is now 6 ft 5 in

TheGonzagaFactor
10-12-2015, 09:36 AM
I think things may have to go perfectly, given the depth (or lack thereof) issue.

With or without depth, things do have to go perfectly for anyone to win a title.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Culp is now 6 ft 5 in

With a 76" wingspan

http://i.imgur.com/ifRv8b2.gif

sittingon50
10-12-2015, 10:24 AM
With or without depth, things do have to go perfectly for anyone to win a title.

Point taken, Factor.

(if only I could have had things go perfectly for my Fantasy Baseball teams this summer!!)

jazzdelmar
10-12-2015, 10:24 AM
With a 76" wingspan

Now that's funny. And, look, no snark.

Zagdawg
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM
NWG and Devin Culp at Kraziness

Pia Culp ‏@aippluc7395 Oct 10
@hoopdreamsbball @AthleticForm devin culp current I-5 w/ I-5 alum Nigel Williams-Goss Kraziness in the Kennel 2k15

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Culp.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Culp.png.html)

Snagglezag
10-12-2015, 10:49 AM
NWG and Devin Culp at Kraziness

Pia Culp ‏@aippluc7395 Oct 10
@hoopdreamsbball @AthleticForm devin culp current I-5 w/ I-5 alum Nigel Williams-Goss Kraziness in the Kennel 2k15

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Culp.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Culp.png.html)

I realize this is off in the distance, but is Culp going to be a Zag?

doctorzag
10-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Blake Bell. Guard from Vegas.

bigblahla
10-12-2015, 11:38 AM

Ok 50.... had to ask...what depth issue?

Go!! Zags!!!

willandi
10-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Go!! Zags!!!

We are down to a POY candidate and 2 top 10-20 bigs, plus Edwards, only 3 really good swings, in Drangs, McClellan and Alberts, stuck with a possible national PG of the year in Perks, with Melson at the 2, and crossover from the 2-3 to fill in at the 1 (both Mac and Drangs can play the 1). Just 9 of the best in the country, so an injury could really hurt.

Bogozags
10-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Blake Bell. Guard from Vegas.

What's the skinny on this young man? Was he a guest of Collins or here on a visit? Does anyone have knowledge of Blake Bell?

Thank You in advance...:o

Zagdawg
10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Not sure about Devin Culp --currently ranked #6 in the state of Washington. It would be great to have a local guy on the team again --his mother is a big Zag fan also.

6. Devin Culp, 6’5 SF, 190 lbs Gonzaga Prep HS soph

http://www.seattlebasketballservices.com/rankings.html

Also plays WR in football for the bullpups and he is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gOeFzGf1Q

Salsageek
10-12-2015, 12:52 PM
I went to the event but didn't hear any chanting for Brendan Bailey. I was hoping the kennel club would orchestrate something for him like we did for GBJr.

bigblahla
10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
We are down to a POY candidate and 2 top 10-20 bigs, plus Edwards, only 3 really good swings, in Drangs, McClellan and Alberts, stuck with a possible national PG of the year in Perks, with Melson at the 2, and crossover from the 2-3 to fill in at the 1 (both Mac and Drangs can play the 1). Just 9 of the best in the country, so an injury could really hurt.

Yep, that's what I thought...also Draino & BA can man up on "D" at the 4 if need be...both have the size and hops to do so.....gonna be a fun year...

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
10-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Quite honestly Im surprised EMac showed as well as he did and concerned that Melson looks like the same player we saw last year. DREAD AND DOOM!!!

sittingon50
10-12-2015, 02:21 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

9 scholarship guys. Someone is bound to roll an ankle & the flu will run thru the team. They lose a game they shouldn't = poorer seeding = tougher road to FF.

sittingon50
10-12-2015, 02:22 PM
I went to the event but didn't hear any chanting for Brendan Bailey. I was hoping the kennel club would orchestrate something for him like we did for GBJr.

I didn't either Salsa & I even stated ahead of time that "they would take care of it." Disappointed.

MDABE80
10-12-2015, 03:04 PM
With a 76" wingspan

lolololol Gotcha!

GoZags
10-25-2015, 06:03 PM
I know. I know. I should be a "better person" and not "share" this ... but here goes. Our bigtime in state Rival's recap to their "Husky Hoopla" ... which was promoted for a month and featured both the Men's and Women's teams ....

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30200&ATCLID=210435060

The good…….

Romar "taught" the crowd how to react for a foul shot that he said AA would make. He made it.
Then Romar challenged crowd again to react when he said AA would make another. He made it.
Then Romar taught the crowd how to react for a 3 point shot he said AA would make. He made it.
Ditto- he did it again with a second three point shot. Very clutch, very impressive.

The bad……..

Introductions of both the women and men squads: in the dark, with spotlights, loud MC and smoke (like the football team), to a wild and roaring crowd of 572 (or so) people. Great idea but need to work on getting a few people in the building.

Overall, I think the Husky Hoopla is a great idea- but man they need some help on execution.

Zagdawg
10-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Good idea combining both mens and womens hooplas---- that way they could draw about the same attendance as a regular season home game.