PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan - Wiltjer, Karnowski, and Sabonis International Summer Experiences

ZagNative
10-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Jim Meehan in the S-R today: (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/08/gonzaga-bigs-stay-busy-over-summer/)

“It’s a real achievement to be selected,” said assistant coach Tommy Lloyd, who leads GU’s international recruiting efforts. “Sometimes they’re so enclosed by us at Gonzaga, it’s good for them to get outside of that womb and experience some success with different teammates and coaches. I remember with Ronny, he was a role player on his national team, he spent time at Gonzaga and improved but he was too close to it and didn’t see his improvement. He went back and played with his national team and saw how he’d made a jump. At that point he was hooked and sold on Gonzaga even more.”

“It gives me a different angle to see European basketball and American basketball,” Karnowski said, “and it gives me a positive impact for this Gonzaga season.”

Sabonis’ Hall of Fame father, Arvydas, runs Lithuania’s basketball federation.

“Lithuania means everything to me and my family,” said Domantas, the youngest member of the national team, “so I want to give everything I can.”

Bogozags
10-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks ZN!

Dogtownkid
10-08-2015, 04:35 PM
I loved this article!

FriscoKid
10-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Sabonis "Did homework", Wiltjer "Did homework", Karnowski "Did homework"

I am glad to see that. Especially since my own board Dons Central was ripping Gonzaga for not caring about the student part of "student athlete" and that Gonzaga was the only school in the WCC or the country that would allow students to miss class. Actually I think I read where the NCAA allows missing school for Olympic qualifying or the Olympic Games.

DixieZag
10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
I am glad to see that. Especially since my own board Dons Central was ripping Gonzaga for not caring about the student part of "student athlete" and that Gonzaga was the only school in the WCC or the country that would allow students to miss class. Actually I think I read where the NCAA allows missing school for Olympic qualifying or the Olympic Games.

Did the people on your board who were making that accusation bother to look at any of the facts that are readily available to anyone who is curious, that yes, indeed, Gonzaga - like most, if not all the WCC schools - has a great athletic/academic tradition? I don't think anyone would lay claim to being Princeton or Cal-Tech, but I don't think there is a single person affiliated with the program that is in any way embarrassed by the academic performance of the MBB or any other athletic program.

We appreciate you being here and backing this up, but it sounds to me like there are some on Dawn Sentinel that are going so far as to purposefully avoid facts that are readily available to anyone who would want the truth. (we can only speculate as to why one would not want the truth)