PDA

View Full Version : Busting Brackets: Silas Melson in Line for a Breakout Season?

ZagNative
10-07-2015, 01:56 PM
I'd really like this to be true, from Busting Brackets (http://bustingbrackets.com/2015/09/30/gonzaga-bulldogs-silas-melson-line-breakout-season/). What do you think?

by Mitch Krmpotich

.... In fantasy football people are always looking for sleepers, i.e. players who come out of nowhere and put up great numbers. I think that the Gonzaga Bulldogs have a player just like this in sophomore guard Silas Melson.

Melson is one of those guys who works hard on both ends of the floor. He has a high motor and can do some damage on the defensive end. On offense, he has a knack for getting to the rim. If he can improve his outside shooting, he can be lethal on offense.

What I saw from Melson last season was extremely high potential. He is one of the most athletic guards that I have seen in a Gonzaga uniform. Melson has hops. Check out this video of him dunking during last year’s men’s basketball preseason scrimmage, Kraziness in the Kennel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=0G83D7wFNBA

Pretty impressive stuff.

Here’s another example of his athleticism. In a game against LMU last season, Melson blocks Evan Payne in impressive fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxYRF3cco

The main reason that I consider Melson a sleeper is because of the return of Josh Perkins. He is coming back after a medical redshirt after showing a lot of skill in the first few games last season. I think that even Zag fans could be overlooking Melson.

I know it’s early, but keep an eye out for Silas Melson this season. He and and Josh Perkins could become the most athletic backcourt tandem in Gonzaga history. Keep an eye out for the high flying Melson to make plays and put up a lot more points this season.
So, what do you think? With all the focus on te Zags' killer front court, are we underestimating the potential impact of campaignsilas?

ProjectMKUltra5
10-07-2015, 02:19 PM
ISo, what do you think? With all the focus on te Zags' killer front court, are we underestimating the potential impact of campaignsilas?

Underestimate him at your own peril. Kid is every bit the player that Sabo or Perkins is.

hooter73
10-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Maybe I need to go back and rewatch some games but I thought the majority of people were under the impression that he under performed (for good reason) last year and while the high hopes are still there, going solely off of what you saw last year I wouldnt be able to pick him out as being ready to break out onto the CBB scene.

maynard g krebs
10-07-2015, 02:32 PM
I hope he does break out, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't buy the idea that pulling his redshirt was the- i'm searching for the right word here- destabilizing experience that some suggest. I remember before the season all the talk about him going to the NBA early; a number of posters were talking before the season like he'd have more impact than Perkins last year.

He had plenty of opportunity last year, but his decision making led to him being replaced in the rotation by a rusty, possibly physically limited McClellan at the end of last season.

If he makes a leap in understanding, it could happen. I hope it does, but it's still show me. If he doesn't make that mental leap, I see an instant offense 6th man type playing 15ish minutes.

zagsfanforlife
10-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Underestimate him at your own peril. Kid is every bit the player that Sabo or Perkins is.

You must have been watching different games than i did last season. Or you know something i dont. He looked no where near the level of Sabonis or Perkins last year. I saw a kid with a deer in headlights look most of the year. I never once saw that look from Sabo or Perk.

strikenowhere
10-07-2015, 03:30 PM
You must have been watching different games than i did last season. Or you know something i dont. He looked no where near the level of Sabonis or Perkins last year. I saw a kid with a deer in headlights look most of the year. I never once saw that look from Sabo or Perk.

Agreed - hopefully a full year under his belt will help.

3XaZag
10-07-2015, 03:53 PM
With such limited data to go on, I think all of us should be very slow to jump to conclusions on Melson's performance last year.

For example, a few on this board have spoken about how pleased they were at Perkin's 3 point shooting (40%) last year and how they felt that Melson's should have been a little better (34%-same as Dranginis). Melson was 17 for 50...if he makes 3 more of those shots he is at the same clip as Perkins. Perkins numbers were even thinner. If Perkins missed one more of his 10 3 pt attempts he would have been at 30%- below Melson. I know these are ifs....and the margin between success and failure is sometimes razor thin, however the math reveals that we have not seen enough yet to be discouraged.

I am slow to come to conclusions when that difference can be accounted for by 3 shots over a season. Yes, I know that is 9 points...and that could come at a critical time; but I just don't think my overall optimism and excitement at Melson, considering his HS career and reputation, is made less by his performance last season. Do we now expect to be bringing in guys who are unassailable from the get go?

Many of us stayed loyal to Olynyk, seeing the fabulous potential through a couple so-so years. With all the competition, I don't know if Melson will have the breakout year this year that the top of this thread predicts, but look out, its coming. Lets stay with the hope, its a lot more fun to live that way.

zag buddy
10-07-2015, 04:05 PM
What I would really like to see is Silis becoming a player like Derrick Ravio - think team first mentality. I believe not having that he appears a little lost because he is focusing on how he can score instead of knowing where all the players are on the court and how to exploit the defense knowing who should get the ball next.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-07-2015, 04:18 PM

https://youtu.be/KBXZXbgmYxA (4-4 vs Pepperdine)

https://youtu.be/5nk_TXTg0yg (4-7 from three vs Pacific)

https://youtu.be/TNXfelVyc-A (4-5 from field, 3-4 from three, 4 boards vs San Francisco)

You can dismiss potential but the kid is just oozing it from his pores. He showed multiple times how many ways he can effect the game, playing passing lanes and getting buckets in a variety of ways. His flaws are things that are easily fixable (stop watching the ball on D, more familiarity with the offense) and even as a "reckless" freshman that was supposed to redshirt he still almost had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio, not nearly as wild and out of control as fans seem to make him out to be.

The pendulum is swinging to far in the opposite direction with Silas now. Fans are too hesitant to embrace everything he did because they feel like he didn't live up to all the hype even though he wasn't even supposed to play, something that should have immediately tempered expectations for his first year.

jazzdelmar
10-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Raivio team first? Are u kidding? He was the least team first PG in the last decade a half. Terrific shooter, of course, but no way team first oriented, he would pout on the court and on the periphery of the huddle when Ammo was clearly the man.

QUOTE=zag buddy;1137298]What I would really like to see is Silis becoming a player like Derrick Ravio - think team first mentality. I believe not having that he appears a little lost because he is focusing on how he can score instead of knowing where all the players are on the court and how to exploit the defense knowing who should get the ball nest.[/QUOTE]

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-07-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm hoping Silas shows the coaches enough in preseason and practice to earn a starting spot alongside Perkins, Dranginis, Wiltjer and PK....that would mean McClellan and Sabonis providing a spark off the bench, which would be a hell of a spark! That's a solid 7 man rotation with Alberts and Edwards being the the 8 and 9 men earning anywhere from 7-15 minutes per game depending on score and foul trouble.

I really like the idea of JP and SM building some chemistry together to solidify the back court for next two seasons and believe EMac will be playing plenty of minutes even if not starting. TEAMWORK!

DADoZAG
10-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I hope he does break out, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't buy the idea that pulling his redshirt was the- i'm searching for the right word here- destabilizing experience that some suggest. I remember before the season all the talk about him going to the NBA early; a number of posters were talking before the season like he'd have more impact than Perkins last year.

He had plenty of opportunity last year, but his decision making led to him being replaced in the rotation by a rusty, possibly physically limited McClellan at the end of last season.

If he makes a leap in understanding, it could happen. I hope it does, but it's still show me. If he doesn't make that mental leap, I see an instant offense 6th man type playing 15ish minutes.

As is nearly always the case, you've nailed it MGK.

Some folks may confuse aggressiveness/confidence with selfishness. But I agree that SM simply needs to know when to push. That extra foot to the 3, the quicker/bigger opposition, the overall environment, I think at times impacted him much more than ripping off his redshirt ever could.

This year it'll be Knock Down and Perks with a rotating sf depending on the opposition, imo, with Silas as bright as anyone on next year's squad after a year coming off the bench. This Saturday will be telling....

Go ZAGS!

bartruff1
10-07-2015, 06:22 PM
I am under the impression that in high school Silas was a very determined young man and had considerable success in a difficult situation. ???? If so, I suspect he will be fine.

DixieZag
10-07-2015, 07:40 PM
I am under the impression that in high school Silas was a very determined young man and had considerable success in a difficult situation. ???? If so, I suspect he will be fine.

This.

And I do very much believe that the sudden "blue shirt" made a difference because he just never looked quite right on offense, and it wasn't ability, nor do I think it was selfishness, I am convinced it was b/c the other 4 on the floor were not really used to him, and more importantly, he wasn't used to them. Many times when he entered the game, the offense just seemed to look like it had a gear jam. Shots went up too early (by him), passes weren't made in the flow, all those types of things that are extremely easy to fix in a high character, high talent, high athleticism kid like him.

Reborn
10-07-2015, 07:59 PM
I haven't changed my opinion a bit. I first said on this forum that he was NBA potential, and I was ridiculed. His season was not what I had hoped for, but I'm sticking to what I know and what I feel. This kid is going to be a flat out great player. I'm in a huge minority on this forum, but what else is new? I have 100% faith in our backcourt, and it's not going to take too long for GU fans to realize how fantastic our guards are. Silas and Perkins will be greater than Kevin and Gary, and I loved them. There is a new breed of Zags comin in, and I'm so excited to see them play together.

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
10-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Melson has the potential to be a great Zag--- a few reminders of his high school career----intestinal fortitude--amazing focus.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-667689408880686845/silas-melson-sticks-it-out-when-other-leave-jefferson-and-hes-rewarded-with-a-state-title-maybe-two/

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/7541223241034143711/jeffersons-silas-melson-is-the-oregonians-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year/

hooter73
10-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Just watched a bunch of that Pepperdine game. Hes good, but not there yet. Thats going to have to be some jump to look like he knows what hes doing out there with the rest of the team. D is off. O is... opportunistic at the expense of both teams. Then he'll make a genius play. Just hard to tell but its the consistency that will tell the tale for me.

RenoZag
10-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Silas and Perkins will be greater than Kevin and Gary, and I loved them.

If during their careers they advance to a Final Four or two more Elite 8's, you'll be correct. Hope they can build on the momentum of last year's squad

Coach Crazy
10-08-2015, 04:02 AM
If during their careers they advance to a Final Four or two more Elite 8's, you'll be correct. Hope they can build on the momentum of last year's squad

This logic is flawed. Especially considering how developed and deep our forward pack is, at the moment, and will be into the future. As well, you can be the better player and not have more success.

Reborn
10-08-2015, 05:31 AM

I agree. And last year's team built on the momentum of the year before that. Let's keep it rollin, Zags.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-08-2015, 06:23 AM
Not a breakout possibility. He should have been able to take over the offense and fit in seamlessly after being thrown into the rotation at the drop of a hat.

^^^This is what some of you sound like. I'm serious.

He didn't have a defined role last season, this season he will. Give him a chance.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Just watched a bunch of that Pepperdine game. Hes good, but not there yet. Thats going to have to be some jump to look like he knows what hes doing out there with the rest of the team. D is off. O is... opportunistic at the expense of both teams. Then he'll make a genius play. Just hard to tell but its the consistency that will tell the tale for me.

I always say "if they can't get it done in February of their freshman year in which they were supposed to be redshirting, they'll never get it done."

GoZags
10-08-2015, 06:50 AM
https://youtu.be/KBXZXbgmYxA (4-4 vs Pepperdine)

https://youtu.be/5nk_TXTg0yg (4-7 from three vs Pacific)

https://youtu.be/TNXfelVyc-A (4-5 from field, 3-4 from three, 4 boards vs San Francisco)

You can dismiss potential but the kid is just oozing it from his pores. He showed multiple times how many ways he can effect the game, playing passing lanes and getting buckets in a variety of ways. His flaws are things that are easily fixable (stop watching the ball on D, more familiarity with the offense) and even as a "reckless" freshman that was supposed to redshirt he still almost had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio, not nearly as wild and out of control as fans seem to make him out to be.

The pendulum is swinging to far in the opposite direction with Silas now. Fans are too hesitant to embrace everything he did because they feel like he didn't live up to all the hype even though he wasn't even supposed to play, something that should have immediately tempered expectations for his first year.

I agree.

When Fran Fraschilla tweeted last November that Mark Few told him that "Portland's Silas Melson may be the best NBA prospect on Gonzaga and he's REDSHIRTING this year" ... Few was speaking about Silas' "potential" ... after several years in the GU program. Silas IS different than many key Mark Few recruits ... he doesn't come from a basketball family ... his dad doesn't coach ... his mom didn't grow up with the game ... he doesn't have a brother that played in the NBA. Silas Melson comes from a football family .... so things ingrained in kids who grow up around hoops (i.e the vast majority of Mark Few recruits ... thus the incredibly high hoops IQ) weren't ingrained in Melson.

That potential IS there ... in spades.

I am very much looking forward to following Silas (and his teammates) for the next three years. GoZags

TexasZagFan
10-08-2015, 06:53 AM
I always say "if they can't get it done in February of their freshman year in which they were supposed to be redshirting, they'll never get it done."

Hard a$$. lol

RenoZag
10-08-2015, 06:58 AM
This logic is flawed. Especially considering how developed and deep our forward pack is, at the moment, and will be into the future. As well, you can be the better player and not have more success.

What is flawed in the suggestion that Perkins & Melson's chance to be better than Pangos & Bell rests on the former duo's career track record going forward ?

As for being a better player and not having more success, that's a great observation. We've had better players who didn't enjoy team success at the level Bell & Pangos did during their careers.

nish_mode
10-08-2015, 09:30 AM
I saw a video of one of Melson's high school playoff games against Payton Pritchard. Melson basically locked down one of the top pg's prospects on the west coast and lit him up on the offensive end. Pritchard could not stop Melson at all.

zagfan24
10-08-2015, 09:52 AM
The pulled redshirt had less of an impact on Silas, in my opinion, than the role he had to step into. Gary and Kevin (and to some extent Kyle D) were running as a well-oiled machine by last year. Little communication needed, everything was in harmony. Those who have played regular pickup ball know what it's like joining a team that already has that kind of synchrony. It's an adjustment, and in some ways you take more time to find your own game than when you are with a group of random others that don't all have experience with one another. Eric McClellan, being a veteran, seemed a bit more ready for that challenge. Josh Perkins, as a pure point guard, had a little bit easier time fitting in earlier in the year in part because he's extremely talented and in part because of his style of game.

That isn't to say that Silas is an automatic major contributor this year. He has a ways to go on both ends of the floor. But I do think it's worth noting that he was attempting to mesh his game into a backcourt that was already running so smoothly, that it actually made finding his role as an explosive but inexperienced player a little bit more challenging. Just my two cents.

jazzdelmar
10-08-2015, 09:53 AM
I saw a video of one of Melson's high school playoff games against Payton Pritchard. Melson basically locked down one of the top pg's prospects on the west coast and lit him up on the offensive end. Pritchard could not stop Melson at all.

Two years (at least) age difference is big at that stage of development.

Robzagnut
10-08-2015, 10:27 AM
He looked no where near the level of Sabonis or Perkins last year. I saw a kid with a deer in headlights look most of the year. I never once saw that look from Sabo or Perk.

I disagree with this completely. I saw a guy who expected to redshirt then was thrust into a sub role behind 3 seniors and a junior, and didn't know/understand his role. Perkins and Sabo both knew where they were at the start of the season. You could tell Melson was letting the seniors take over, feel things out and he was doing whatever he could do to help the team with his limited minutes. With Bell and Pangos around why ask Melson to take charge?

This year is going to be much more different. You're going to see a guy who knows exactly where he is at in the rotation and he will play a bigger role. He won't have to take a backseat to 3 seniors, he's had a year to understand the system, NCAA tourney experience and he's going to be a lot more aggressive. Book it.

john montana
10-08-2015, 10:42 AM
He's going to be a stud. If not this year, then next year, but I really believe it is just a matter of time and I'm excited to watch it happen with Silas.

That said, there were some posts last season about Silas being a one and done candidate...possible there were a few expectations that were a tad out of line!

Go get 'em Silas!

hooter73
10-08-2015, 10:46 AM
The pulled redshirt had less of an impact on Silas, in my opinion, than the role he had to step into. Gary and Kevin (and to some extent Kyle D) were running as a well-oiled machine by last year. Little communication needed, everything was in harmony. Those who have played regular pickup ball know what it's like joining a team that already has that kind of synchrony. It's an adjustment, and in some ways you take more time to find your own game than when you are with a group of random others that don't all have experience with one another. Eric McClellan, being a veteran, seemed a bit more ready for that challenge. Josh Perkins, as a pure point guard, had a little bit easier time fitting in earlier in the year in part because he's extremely talented and in part because of his style of game.

That isn't to say that Silas is an automatic major contributor this year. He has a ways to go on both ends of the floor. But I do think it's worth noting that he was attempting to mesh his game into a backcourt that was already running so smoothly, that it actually made finding his role as an explosive but inexperienced player a little bit more challenging. Just my two cents.

Excellent answer!

maynard g krebs
10-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I don't think anybody is saying he won't be a very good player as an upperclassman. I see a guy who could be a lot like Avery Bradley, if not quite that level. The question was this year, though, and I would hope that expectations would be tempered because there's still a learning curve.

hooter73
10-08-2015, 11:23 AM
It'll be interesting to see if Bryan Alberts comes out swinging if even more people will point to the redshirt year