PDA

View Full Version : It's still pretty hard to believe

Reborn
10-06-2015, 03:34 PM
I went to Gonzaga from 1966 to 1970, and Lew Alcinder was the center on UCLA's team, and John Wooden was the coach. And now only a short time later UCLA will be coming to K2 to play the Zags, and most likely the Zags will win. And I loved Lute Olsen and never rooted against Arizona, and remember all to well when they won the NCAA championship. These memories are fresh, and now they have become reality, and to tell you the truth it's just really mind blowing for me. I won't be able to get to see those games this year in McCarthy, but I am so happy for all of you who will. It's unreal who now plays in McCarthy every year, but this is just AWESOME. And it's just a dream come true....It's honestly unimaginable. Pinch me and tell me to wake up from this dream.
I can hardly wait to see the games on TV and if we win them both I will scream so loud you'll here me from Yakima. Yes! This IS a special year, and I can hardly wait to get it going.

sage
10-06-2015, 04:56 PM
With those memories, you HAVE to find a way to go see the games in person!!!!! Good luck, maybe someone can help make it happen!!

DixieZag
10-06-2015, 06:08 PM
I am far less deserving than Reborn, but I have seen many of the premium games in the last few years, I recall being 8 rows up during the Michigan State game and seeing Izzo down there and simply thinking beforehand, "what the hell is Michigan state doing on my 88-92 Alma mater's court?" Same when I saw the Notre Dame uniform down there.

Reborn
10-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks for sharing DixieZag. I can only imagine. I'm a huge Notre Dame fan as well, and if fact I'm actually wearing my Notre Dame T-Shirt right now.

TexasZagFan
10-07-2015, 05:30 AM
I went to Gonzaga from 1966 to 1970, and Lew Alcinder was the center on UCLA's team, and John Wooden was the coach. And now only a short time later UCLA will be coming to K2 to play the Zags, and most likely the Zags will win. And I loved Lute Olsen and never rooted against Arizona, and remember all to well when they won the NCAA championship. These memories are fresh, and now they have become reality, and to tell you the truth it's just really mind blowing for me. I won't be able to get to see those games this year in McCarthy, but I am so happy for all of you who will. It's unreal who now plays in McCarthy every year, but this is just AWESOME. And it's just a dream come true....It's honestly unimaginable. Pinch me and tell me to wake up from this dream.
I can hardly wait to see the games on TV and if we win them both I will scream so loud you'll here me from Yakima. Yes! This IS a special year, and I can hardly wait to get it going.

We've definitely come a long way from the days of Adrian Buoncristiani. About the only thing I remember from that era is him throwing a clipboard during my freshman year.

Oh yeah, and the effin' seat cushions...right, Reno? lol

ZagsGoZags
10-07-2015, 04:02 PM
the miracle continues to unfold right before our eyes .....
even in 2009-10 I would not have dared hope we would approach being a truly elite program with truly elite teams,
with schools like Illinois and Memphis pretty much whooping up on us most of the time in our series with them,
and that our wins over storied programs would be anything but 'upsets' by America's cinderella team.
When you pinch Reborn, come over and pinch me too;
just too good to be true, but it is true

lv2hoop
10-07-2015, 09:58 PM
I played against the Zags in November of 1990 and again in November 1992. It was a far cry from the spectacle it has become today. We played in the Kennel both times during or near the Thanksgiving week when there were no students around and the baseball team (pitchers and catchers) were throwing up on the second level of the gym right around the hour or so before the teams went out for pre-game warmups. Fitzgerald, Monson, and Few etc were all there both times we played and lost to GU but it has all changed so much in the 25 years since then.

Reborn
10-08-2015, 05:35 AM
I played against the Zags in November of 1990 and again in November 1992. It was a far cry from the spectacle it has become today. We played in the Kennel both times during or near the Thanksgiving week when there were no students around and the baseball team (pitchers and catchers) were throwing up on the second level of the gym right around the hour or so before the teams went out for pre-game warmups. Fitzgerald, Monson, and Few etc were all there both times we played and lost to GU but it has all changed so much in the 25 years since then.

Thanks for sharing. Who did you play for?

lv2hoop
10-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Thanks for sharing. Who did you play for?

Western Montana

Reborn
10-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Western Montana

thanks

MDABE80
10-09-2015, 11:42 AM
We began our season up on that level. Looking down at the Basketball team. Things have changed so much over the years. One thing though, the kids seem to be nicer and well mannered. Surely smarter. GU is just a great place to grow up in those years.