PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer is CBS preseason player of year

VinnyZag
10-06-2015, 02:07 PM
For the whole sport, that is, not just the WCC.

Kyle Wiltjer is the CBS Sports Preseason National Player of the Year.

He edged Oklahoma's Buddy Hield, Providence's Kris Dunn, LSU's Ben Simmons and Kentucky's Skal Labissiere for the honor because, collectively here at CBS Sports, we believe the 6-foot-10 forward is the proper choice when trying to identify somebody who will be great individually and on a nationally relevant team.

Story here (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25328096/gonzaga-senior-kyle-wiltjer-is-cbs-sports-preseason-player-of-year).

hooter73
10-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Wow, way cool. Congrats to him! Wonder if that will solidify the All American status?

ZagNative
10-06-2015, 02:20 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I0dLedY8jJY/VhRH-8D0PJI/AAAAAAACk2w/5tyW-C3pbko/s800-Ic42/2015-10-06%252520kyle%252520wiltjer.jpg

Zagdawg
10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Wow!!

jazzdelmar
10-06-2015, 02:53 PM
And so it starts. A season for the ages.

Bogozags
10-06-2015, 03:07 PM
And so it starts. A season for the ages.

Jazz we see it developing...this is the year!

Reborn
10-06-2015, 03:20 PM
He's definitely deserving. ZagNation is behind you Kyle. Now go and lead this team!

kreese555
10-06-2015, 03:21 PM
He's also a CBS preseason AA

http://cbsprt.co/1QXvq2J

hooter73
10-06-2015, 03:46 PM
When Dikau and Slim interviewed him the other day they asked if he was ready to be on the cover of every magazine, in every conversation for POTY, I dont remember hearing his answer remember thinking that hes got the swag and mentality to hear it, know it and go with it. He's not some humble, under the radar guy, but he also knows hes part of a team. This could be an exciting year ala Morrison and Pargo playing to the crowds.

TheZagPhish
10-06-2015, 04:30 PM
http://cl.ly/dSFI/so-freakin-excited.gif

Baseline
10-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Truly amazing for a small School. Go Kyle

On another note, did Tommy or Mark have the Kick off dinner talking about the team? I have not seen a post and wondered what was said.

Hoopaholic
10-06-2015, 05:40 PM
oh yea....embrace it and play hard.........

23dpg
10-06-2015, 06:55 PM
This is a bigger deal than it might first appear.

Some of the biggest deterrents for some HS kids to come to Gonzaga are that you won't be able to showcase yours skills to the nation and might not get recognized for your achievements. Over the last few years, Gonzaga has had 3 first team AAs, one post season player of the year, and now a preseason POY. This really puts GU on equal footing with almost all of the major schools. There will always be the smaller conference issue with sone players, but a final four this year will erase much of that too.

If anyone has a time machine, I'd like to send this message to a certain Portland area HS 5 star recruit circa 2011.

zagamatic
10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
It's a truly awesome accomplishment for anyone to receive this recognition and I certainly hope that he gets the post season title as well.
I can't help but wonder though, would this status have been attainable had he not taken a redshirt year? And will Kyle's transformation along with Olynik's start a trend not just at Gonzaga, but nationally? As a late bloomer myself, I would like to see more players who obviously have talent take a year off at the appropriate time and dedicate that time to getting their bodies caught up to their skills.

MDABE80
10-06-2015, 10:24 PM
We've never had one of these before. Good thing it's not the on the cover of SI. Everyone should put their magic shoes on. This season will be a barnburner.
Happy for GU and for Kyle. Go Zags!

Zerogame
10-07-2015, 03:02 AM
Kyle was asked how many 3 pointers has he made in a row either in a game or at practice, 85! At least that is what my old ears heard him say.

DixieZag
10-07-2015, 05:56 AM
So cool. It is of course, possible there are others out there better than him, funny thing is one of them might be on his team.

As Jazz said, could be the special one.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Wow, way cool. Congrats to him! Wonder if that will solidify the All American status?

I'd think that his play would determine that.

LongIslandZagFan
10-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Radar... no way to be under it this year. All good... should be a heck of a year.

hooter73
10-07-2015, 07:23 AM
true, we will have an even bigger target on our backs every single night out.

ZagaZags
10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Gonzaga has 2 on the list.

Domantas Sabonis

The best is still yet to come for the youngest son of the Lithuanian all-time great, and he already impressed as a freshman in a key role for one of the nation’s top teams. He’s not the flashiest, isn’t an above-the-rim guy and blocked remarkably few shots last year. Still, his mobility on both ends and excellent rebounding (he hauled in 19.1% of available boards last year) make him a key piece whether or not he fully breaks out. Though still an offensive work in progress, the 19-year-old’s minutes should increase and give him the opportunity to gain confidence and build on last year’s performance. Gonzaga will bank on a big step from Sabonis as it eyes another high seed come March.

Przemek Karnowski

One of college basketball’s largest men is back for one last run after helping Gonzaga reach the Elite Eight last season. The Zags lost their three top guards, but the elite frontcourt of Karnowski, Domantas Sabonis and Kyle Wiltjer returns, and coach Mark Few has already discussed playing all three together. Karnowski’s stats profile better on a per-minute basis, which bodes well if his role increases even more. Though Karnowski’s production can be inconsistent and he can be slightly plodding on-court, not many college players can match up with him physically on the block.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/10/07/best-big-men-college-basketball-ben-simmons-gonzaga-sabonis-karnowski

Safe to say, 2015-2016 is going to be special.

23dpg
10-08-2015, 07:42 AM
I was wondering why Wiltjer wasn't on SI's top 20 big men. They list him as a wing. He made the top 20 there.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/10/06/best-wings-college-basketball-kyle-wiltjer-brandon-ingram

MDABE80
10-08-2015, 09:53 AM
SO we have 2 of the top 20 Bigs and another BIG who is predicted as POY. It's a good start! lol........it's historical actually. I don't recall ever seeing this before here or elsewhere. If the guards perform, we look like a FF team, at least of paper. Our front line is spooky good. With Wiltjer as POY , expect a lot of press for this team. Should lead to a fine season and lots of kids who will want to build the Zag future. The thing is this" Karno's lost weight and is now looking amazingly better. It's an exciting year in the offing.

jazzdelmar
10-08-2015, 10:09 AM
SO we have 2 of the top 20 Bigs and another BIG who is predicted as POY. It's a good start! lol........it's historical actually. I don't recall ever seeing this before here or elsewhere. If the guards perform, we look like a FF team, at least of paper. Our front line is spooky good. With Wiltjer as POY , expect a lot of press for this team. Should lead to a fine season and lots of kids who will want to build the Zag future. The thing is this" Karno's lost weight and is now looking amazingly better. It's an exciting year in the offing.

And don't sleep on Eddie, Dock.

hooter73
10-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm already not looking forward to anyone having an off night and having to hear all the prognosticators overreactions.

MDABE80
10-08-2015, 11:31 AM
And don't sleep on Eddie, Dock.

He's stayed in the system and has worked very hard. His stamina is still needing improvment. His hands and feet are great so I hear. He'll get his minutes this year. He has to or he just won't be prepared. His FT shooting is amazing...........which is rare for a big like he is. His attitude is pure work. I did forget about him as I was just marveling at the national attention given to our front line. Collins should be able to step right in. If Domas stays, Edwards and Collins will need some time but WIlliams begins next year and he looks like a dandy. I hear someone else is thinking of us. A major league "someone else".

mgadfly
10-08-2015, 11:51 AM
I hear someone else is thinking of us. A major league "someone else".

Biggs McGee?

seacatfan
10-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Biggs McGee?

That guy still has eligibility left? Seems like he's been around forever.

23dpg
10-08-2015, 05:04 PM
I hear someone else is thinking of us. A major league "someone else".

Abe, transfer or HS?

jazzdelmar
10-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Reid Travis would be a nice add. Pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part.

23dpg
10-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Image from http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-06/354845140-29112403.jpg.

A major league someone else?
This guy?

MDABE80
10-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't have a name. I overheard a conversation like with Tillie. He was easy though, he said he wanted to come to us at the table ! lol no magic on that one.

Birddog
10-09-2015, 03:24 AM
Photo of Abe posing on a break from his skulking around the campus.
http://www.tvtimemachine.com/sys/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/columbo.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
10-09-2015, 05:59 AM
That guy still has eligibility left? Seems like he's been around forever.

Funny... he has been around so long that even though I KNEW who the real Biggs McGee was... I don't remember who he was. Those brain cells must have been taken out by some good craft brews.

GoZags
10-09-2015, 07:00 AM
who the real Biggs McGee was...

Theo Davis.

As a sidenote ... Mario Kasun was "The Croatian" (and as of last season Mario's career is still going strong).

LongIslandZagFan
10-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Theo Davis.

As a sidenote ... Mario Kasun was "The Croatian" (and as of last season Mario's career is still going strong).

Boom! Thank you... brain is coalescing and it all is coming back to me now.