PDA

View Full Version : '16 Recruiting Down to 4 Open Offers (per Verbal Commits); do Zags land any?

TravelinZag
10-03-2015, 11:39 AM
One? Two? None of those listed, but a mystery (foreign or transfer) recruit(s)? Certainly looks like adding a center would be good, but there are precious few available in '16 or '17. Your guesses, thoughts or insights?

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-03-2015, 01:03 PM
What are the four names? Link?

MaroonZag22
10-03-2015, 09:04 PM
The four in question are Mike Bibby, Jr. (PG), Zach Norvell (SG), Vance Jackson (SF) and Brendan Bailey (SF). Link below:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/gonzaga

Mr Vulture
10-04-2015, 07:40 AM
I like our odds with Norvell and Bailey.

hondo
10-04-2015, 12:44 PM
And these are just the ones Verbal Commits lists. There could be many more as we have seen in the past.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
2016 C Jayce Johnson out of California has a offer

ZagaZags
10-04-2015, 01:46 PM
2016 C Jayce Johnson out of California has a offer

He crossed Gonzaga off his list.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-04-2015, 01:56 PM
He crossed Gonzaga off his list.

Shame. Kid is so damn talented

tyra
10-04-2015, 02:28 PM
"Certainly looks like adding a center would be good". I would like to understand why TravelinZag or anyone else thinks this. After this year, we get Zach Collins and we have two more years of Ryan Edwards. Seems to me we are set for a couple of years. Am I missing something? (Not a big surprise if I was.)

OZZY
10-04-2015, 03:29 PM
"Certainly looks like adding a center would be good". I would like to understand why TravelinZag or anyone else thinks this. After this year, we get Zach Collins and we have two more years of Ryan Edwards. Seems to me we are set for a couple of years. Am I missing something? (Not a big surprise if I was.)

Thought the same thing Tyra, no I don't think you are missing anything.

Coach Crazy
10-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Zach Collins is not a C, and we wouldn't have been so successful in recruiting him, if that is what Few would have penciled him in at.

Zagdawg
10-04-2015, 10:55 PM
Scout, ESPN (#7 ranked center), 247Sports (#8 ranked center), Rivals, Verbal Commits, Spokesman Review presser all list him as a center.........maybe he is the next 7 foot "small forward/3 man" we can talk about moving a big to for the next 4 years.

;)

MDABE80
10-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Vance Jackson doesn't include the Zags.

jpwils
10-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Thought the same thing Tyra, no I don't think you are missing anything.

What about the aforementioned 6-4 PG from Croatia mentioned on page 5 here ?

Yes we have NWG and Perkins and Melson and Alberts but could use Bruno to replace steady hands like EMac and/ or Dranginis

cggonzaga
10-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Personally I think specific positions are more relevant to the pro game than college. In college you have your guards (usually 1-3) and your bigs (4-5). I highly doubt Mr. Collins could care less if he was called a power forward or a center in college.

hooter73
10-05-2015, 01:06 PM
maybe he is the next 7 foot "small forward/3 man" we can talk about moving a big to for the next 4 years.

You have just shown me that my nervous tick is going to continue. Thanks.

Harris! TICK Sabonis! TICK...

MDABE80
10-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Unless he pulls a "Josh" and doesn't hit the boards, he's a 4-5. Doesn't really matter. They hit the boards the same. Usually though they shoot from different spots on the floor. A 4 who rebounds and makes shots while playing defense is all we need. Call em what you want.

exclusivelee
10-06-2015, 10:44 AM
The four in question are Mike Bibby, Jr. (PG), Zach Norvell (SG), Vance Jackson (SF) and Brendan Bailey (SF). Link below:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/gonzaga

Bibby doesnt have an offer from the Zags. He has 5 offers: Memphis, USC, Nevada, UC Irvine (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting/2015/09/16/shadow-mountains-michael-bibby-waits-more-offers/32501853/), & Georgia State (https://twitter.com/bibby_michael/status/645466601119158272). Article from Sept 16 (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting/2015/09/16/shadow-mountains-michael-bibby-waits-more-offers/32501853/) says GU has shown interest immediately after a sentence which says Georgetown and Michigian are still showing interest. Recently took unofficial visit to USC (https://twitter.com/bibby_michael/status/645437666528391168)

Pretty sure GU hasnt been interested in Vance Jackson for this whole calendar year as with Tim Harrison who recently commit to Rice

Jayce Johnson appeared to be somewhat of a target over the summer but it seemed to subside after the Zags landed Killian Tillie

TravelinZag
10-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Lee, you follow recruiting as closely as anyone on this board. What then is your current guess on Norvell and Bailey? Is there anyone else we should be looking at -- potential blow-up during senior year, de-commit, under the radar foreign player -- or is it down to just those two? Plus, perhaps a graduating senior w/eligibility or a transfer who would have to sit out a year? Have we quit following anyone prematurely? Or are we about ready to close out the class of '16 and turn our attentions to "17? Perhaps a new thread is in order.

Your best guesses, please. Understand you're well-informed, but no better at reading 17 and 18-year old minds than the rest of us.

ZagsGoZags
10-06-2015, 02:09 PM
next year I assume we will have four good bigs
Sabonis, Tillie, Edwards, Collins
makes me think we do not have to sacrifice to get another one.
if DS leaves for NBA, however, the picture changes a bit for me

ZagAddict
10-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Seniors: Wiltjer & Karnowski (front court), Dranginis & McClellan (back court)
'16 New Players: Collins & Jonathan Williams (front court), Tillie & NWG (back court)

Yes, if Sabonis leaves for the NBA after his sophomore year, losing 5 players is going to be difficult. However, right now in regards to recruiting '16 I think GU can afford to be patient. I love the idea of adding Norvell & Bailey, but if they don't commit GU doesn't need to panic with a signee. Things are looking very promising for the future.

cggonzaga
10-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Interesting some people see Tillie as a 4. Looks like a quintessential 3 to me. At least I hope that's what he is anyways.

exclusivelee
10-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Interesting some people see Tillie as a 4. Looks like a quintessential 3 to me. At least I hope that's what he is anyways.
Heard that the coaching staff intend to play Tillie both at the small forward and power forward, but personally, he is more of a '3' IMO... And idk how someone thinks he is a Kyle Wiltjer type since Tillie is such a better athlete, hits the boards well, but doesn't have near the shooting touch from the perimeter or midrange as Wiltjer does

exclusivelee
10-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Lee, you follow recruiting as closely as anyone on this board. What then is your current guess on Norvell and Bailey? Is there anyone else we should be looking at -- potential blow-up during senior year, de-commit, under the radar foreign player -- or is it down to just those two? Plus, perhaps a graduating senior w/eligibility or a transfer who would have to sit out a year? Have we quit following anyone prematurely? Or are we about ready to close out the class of '16 and turn our attentions to "17? Perhaps a new thread is in order.

Your best guesses, please. Understand you're well-informed, but no better at reading 17 and 18-year old minds than the rest of us.
There should be other targets arise soon enough and a new one may have been announced today.

The head coach of JUCO Canada College in San Jose said that Gonzaga is now interested in sophomore 6'4 guard Crisshawn Clark. Averaged 15 pts, 5.2 reb, & 3 Ast last season. he's taking an official visit to Loyola (IL) today and Pitt this weekend.

I think we have a great shot with Brendan. Great to have Zach and his dad accompany Brendan and Thurl on the visit since they are pretty close. Hope John Stockton makes a cameo too since Thurl and John played together for the Jazz. This will be Brendan's 5th and final official visit, but I think he still plans to take an unofficial visit to Utah

I dont like our chances as much with Norvell. Seems like Iowa State are showing to Norvell right now that they want him the most with so many trips out to Chicago to see him since early Sept and they appear to be the one to beat.

I think GU should have paid more attention to JaQuori McLaughlin and less on Jonah Mathews. Red flag went up after Jonah announced USC was his favorite. JaQuori said he would have been happy to learn from Nigel for a year. Oh well.

As it stands, the scholarship situation for the 2016-17 season is as follows:

4 guards: Melson, Perkins, Alberts, Goss
5 bigs: Edwards, Sabonis, Williams, Collins, Tillie

4 scholarship openings for 2016-17, but only 3 openings for 2017-18 since Wade will return for his mission at that time. I expect Sabonis will leave after the 2016-17 season, so that would open up another spot

We are a bit low on guards and I expect GU wants to add 2 immediately eligible guards with the option to redshirt 1. There will likely be open options to add some transfers.

Corey Kispert appears to be the only 2017 recruit standing out right now and we have a great shot with him. Helps that his AAU coach is a GU alum

cggonzaga
10-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Heard that the coaching staff intend to play Tillie both at the small forward and power forward, but personally, he is more of a '3' IMO... And idk how someone thinks he is a Kyle Wiltjer type since Tillie is such a better athlete, hits the boards well, but doesn't have near the shooting touch from the perimeter or midrange as Wiltjer does

Agreed Lee.

exclusivelee
10-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Jayce chooses Utah (visited there over the weekend for the Utes football game;5-star Euro big Lauri Markkanen & a couple other guys visited too)

GU was also supposedly a top choice for JUCO guard Jojo Zamoria who visited Utah over the weekend and just commit there too

The Stocktons being there could help helped a little. Wish they chose to be at Kraziness instead:

Larry Krystkowiak @LKrystkowiak
2 Stocktons and 3 Doleacs joined us at practice and spoke to our Program#gratitude&attitude http://t.co/gdn5Jshxme
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/ce7cfe0908a8ffa67d87f1a4ca1a6c0c.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/2f87e09f27c12883327684ab6840dd06.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/bb1f1f5903f5c6c8b4f3b9390dd6d6f6.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/ea8257d0bc68b0bcfb7fc264fb7b6f54.jpg

jazzdelmar
10-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Happy for LK, a good dude, great family.

exclusivelee
10-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Hearing that Gonzaga backed off of Bruno Skokna a bit. Arizona, Utah, Creighton, Dayton & Davidson are his main suitors at the moment

Crisshawn Clark cut his list to just Pitt and Oregon. He just visited Pitt and was recently offered by Oregon

Vance Jackson will decide between UConn and Cal later today. He'll likely pick UConn

If we don't get Norvell, we'll be scrambling to find a suitable replacement to add needed depth for the guard positions. Perhaps the Aussie guard Kieran Hayward becomes a primary target then

Coach Crazy
10-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Hearing that Gonzaga backed off of Bruno Skokna a bit. Arizona, Utah, Creighton, Dayton & Davidson are his main suitors at the moment

Crisshawn Clark cut his list to just Pitt and Oregon. He just visited Pitt and was recently offered by Oregon

Vance Jackson will decide between UConn and Cal later today. He'll likely pick UConn

If we don't get Norvell, we'll be scrambling to find a suitable replacement to add needed depth for the guard positions. Perhaps the Aussie guard Kieran Hayward becomes a primary target then

Keiran Hayward is legit. He's not a 2*. I think you could make a case that he is just as good as (if not better than) guys like Maverick Rowan from last year's class.

VinnyZag
10-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Bailey is going to Marquette:

"Brendan Bailey @brendanbailey35
It's time to announce that I will be attending Marquette University to extend my career in Basketball. "

seacatfan
10-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Jayce chooses Utah (visited there over the weekend for the Utes football game;5-star Euro big Lauri Markkanen & a couple other guys visited too)

GU was also supposedly a top choice for JUCO guard Jojo Zamoria who visited Utah over the weekend and just commit there too

The Stocktons being there could help helped a little. Wish they chose to be at Kraziness instead:

Larry Krystkowiak @LKrystkowiak
2 Stocktons and 3 Doleacs joined us at practice and spoke to our Program#gratitude&attitude http://t.co/gdn5Jshxme
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/ce7cfe0908a8ffa67d87f1a4ca1a6c0c.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/2f87e09f27c12883327684ab6840dd06.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/bb1f1f5903f5c6c8b4f3b9390dd6d6f6.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/ea8257d0bc68b0bcfb7fc264fb7b6f54.jpg

Markkanen verballed to Arizona on Saturday, so Utah won't get to pair him with Johnson.

seacatfan
10-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Bailey is going to Marquette:

"Brendan Bailey @brendanbailey35
It's time to announce that I will be attending Marquette University to extend my career in Basketball. "

Bummer. Some of these ex-Dukie players that haven't accomplished much as coaches appear to be fairly strong recruiters.

ZagaZags
10-21-2015, 09:05 PM
HALL of Fame coach Larry Brown will welcome Australia’s Tom Wilson to SMU after the guard pledged allegiance to the program, joining their 2016 recruiting class.

Wilson was captain of both the Australian U17 and U19 Men’s teams and been a scholarship holder at Basketball Australia’s National Centre of Excellence — a program based at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra, ACT — since the beginning of 2014.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/10/21/1227577/563851-84e33aa6-77bc-11e5-8562-88a509acffad.jpg

Despite offers from Connecticut, Gonzaga, Boise State and California, among others, the 1.93m guard decided to commit to Southern Methodist University (SMU) to play for the legendary coach.

More at link

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/aussie-guard-tom-wilson-commits-to-smu-will-play-for-hall-of-fame-coach-larry-brown/story-e6frf3f3-1227577566504

strikenowhere
10-22-2015, 06:47 AM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/10/21/1227577/563851-84e33aa6-77bc-11e5-8562-88a509acffad.jpg

More at link

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/aussie-guard-tom-wilson-commits-to-smu-will-play-for-hall-of-fame-coach-larry-brown/story-e6frf3f3-1227577566504

They must not follow college basketball too closely down under...who would still commit to play for him there with all of the violations & punishment?

hooter73
10-22-2015, 07:10 AM
well I need to look at the open scholarship chart but rest assured the coaches always have something cooking, sometimes its a burnt and cold last minute dinner though. Hopefully we've learned and will not repeat.

kitzbuel
10-22-2015, 08:45 AM
They must not follow college basketball too closely down under...who would still commit to play for him there with all of the violations & punishment?

"You mean that wasn't St. Mary's University I signed with?!"

TravelinZag
10-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Impact of Bailey commitment on Zach Norvell? 247 still projects him for Illinois, even though there will be several scholarship players on the roster ahead of him. (Of course, they were out there early and correct on Bailey while all the conversation focused elsewhere.) Guess Brendan just wanted to log some free travel. But Marquette has a fine program, oh, what's that?. . . yeah, some years ago. Shame. He would have been a great fit, and I deceived myself GU had a really excellent chance of landing him. Not much left beyond Norvell. Good eye, Lee, on Clark, but he was gone to Pitt in a heartbeat. Hayward has multiple offers including Arizona State and LSU. Aussie prospect Robert Colton ('15) just too much of a project (inconsistency)? Any growth left in that 6'5", 200 frame worth taking a chance on?

hooter73
10-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if our addition of Tilley scared Bailey off a little. He's got to realize that he cant be the only player at his position though you would think.

strikenowhere
10-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if our addition of Tilley scared Bailey off a little. He's got to realize that he cant be the only player at his position though you would think.

Assuming Bailey is going on his mission, there are still two years of recruiting left and for him to see what he is missing out on ;)

btzag
10-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Impossible to know what the kids are thinking. This offseason we've had targets commit to other programs that had tons of depth at their position, lack of reg or postseason success, suspect coaches at player development, and even programs that are currently being investigated or under sanctions. Bizarre but I honestly think we get so many transfers because kids make some poor decisions and then have to live with them for a couple years. Meanwhile they watch a gonzaga team have success on the court, develop players in a family environment, graduate players to top teams all over the world including the nba and have great consistency from a top coaching staff that does things the right way. Bizarre recruiting period but hope we at least land Norvell.

Coach Crazy
10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Impossible to know what the kids are thinking. This offseason we've had targets commit to other programs that had tons of depth at their position, lack of reg or postseason success, suspect coaches at player development, and even programs that are currently being investigated or under sanctions. Bizarre but I honestly think we get so many transfers because kids make some poor decisions and then have to live with them for a couple years. Meanwhile they watch a gonzaga team have success on the court, develop players in a family environment, graduate players to top teams all over the world including the nba and have great consistency from a top coaching staff that does things the right way. Bizarre recruiting period but hope we at least land Norvell.

And that is why we should fret less about not always getting them out of high school. Plus, I would rather have a kid at that point, when he has learned and is hungry and ready to do anything to be a part of something. I'm very very excited about J3 and NWG. If you can build a knack for being that school, it also helps your recruiting find that rhythm.

TravelinZag
10-24-2015, 10:54 AM
It would appear that the Zags are down to a single prospect, Zack Norvell, and do not hold the inside track there. Can anyone confirm that a verbal commit blocks further contact from other schools? If so, that precludes Zag contact with one prospect expected to take a mission, while protecting another player who is a Zag commit on a mission. Correct?

jazzdelmar
10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Disagree if you wish, but my view is that GU has essentially THREE McD all Americans bound for its roster next year. Take that, blue bloods.

zagfan24
10-24-2015, 12:34 PM
But Marquette has a fine program, oh, what's that?. . . yeah, some years ago. Shame. He would have been a great fit, and I deceived myself GU had a really excellent chance of landing him.

Marquette actually is bringing in a pretty good class headlined by Henry Ellenson. I read on a MU message board that Bailey was influenced by Wojo's frequent visits and youth. The latter being an example of something that you can't control or predict when swaying recruits. I guess he must have missed Few's handstand ;)

jazzdelmar
10-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Marquette actually is bringing in a pretty good class headlined by Henry Ellenson. I read on a MU message board that Bailey was influenced by Wojo's frequent visits and youth. The latter being an example of something that you can't control or predict when swaying recruits. I guess he must have missed Few's handstand ;)

Milwaukee in season is certainly not a draw. Wojo sells chance to kiss Koach's rings once removed.

DixieZag
10-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Disagree if you wish, but my view is that GU has essentially THREE McD all Americans bound for its roster next year. Take that, blue bloods.

I know I'm not fretting.

In fact, it's a little difficult to not think that some of these kids are looking down our foster the next 2-3 years and thinking, "it'll be a while before I'm 'the man' there" - maybe that's the glass half full thinking, but it isn't too far-fetched, either.

jazzdelmar
10-24-2015, 12:46 PM
I know I'm not fretting.

In fact, it's a little difficult to not think that some of these kids are looking down our foster the next 2-3 years and thinking, "it'll be a while before I'm 'the man' there" - maybe that's the glass half full thinking, but it isn't too far-fetched, either.

Most kids are not that rational. The better they are, the less rational. Too many actually think they will play in the NBA and like tomorrow. That's the AAU effect. However, in the case of Bailey, with a dad who is involved and knowing about the game, perhaps you are right.

Zagricultural
10-24-2015, 01:12 PM
I would say that too many power 5 schools may be engaging in the "Louisville Method"...

cggonzaga
10-24-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm not so sure you can't add Tillie into that mix either Jazz. That kid plays in the states and everybody would know about him. If his play against PJ Washington was any indication then he's every bit as good as that AA.

jazzdelmar
10-24-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm not so sure you can't add Tillie into that mix either Jazz. That kid plays in the states and everybody would know about him. If his play against PJ Washington was any indication then he's every bit as good as that AA.

Help me out. How would US kids we are recruiting know about Tillie then? And what's that about him vs Washington, who is he,,when, what???? Thanks.

Coach Crazy
10-24-2015, 01:42 PM

I wouldn't consider Killian Tillie anywhere close to an AA, but if he played in the states, I could see him potentially getting a low 4* rating. But it would all depend on the situation and the ranking system in question. And none of that really matters. The fact is, he had a weakness stated by a scout, that is actually a strength on this team. He's going to fit really well here. Especially if he can put on some weight, but keep the quickness and explosiveness.

Putting a versatile Primary-3/Secondary-4 with a 7 ft. Euro 4, and a "big country" 5 is going to be a nightmare match up. Oh, and an all-around forward like J3? Yeah. Have fun with that, everyone not named Gonzaga. You're welcome.

MDABE80
10-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Help me out. How would US kids we are recruiting know about Tillie then? And what's that about him vs Washington, who is he,,when, what???? Thanks.
I'd be surprised if ANY US kid knows about Tillie. He's a non factor in others' recuiting decisions. Honestly though, we were/are lucky to get this kid. IN 1-2 years he'll be a very valuable contirbutor if he continues to work as hard as he does. Needs some weight but he's a tall leaper with discipline aimed at making himself much better. We got a good one. We'll need another big before 2016-17 season but he's a good start.

zag buddy
10-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Do we need another big? We will have Edwards, jw, Collins, and Tillie

ZagaZags
10-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Do we need another big? We will have Edwards, jw, Collins, and Tillie

And hopefully Domas Sabonis.

cggonzaga
10-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Jazz, PJ Washington is a 2017 5 * out of Texas. Ranked 15th in his class and being recruited by everyone. Watch this 20min clip and tell me who the better player was on this day anyway. Plus you can watch Collins for the US team. http://youtu.be/nRKirZaPkuw

Zagdawg
10-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Looked solid in beating some of the top US players.

Going to have another year of experience when he arrives and is only going to get better.

Glad he is a Zag.