PDA

View Full Version : 200 Game Minutes, Thoughts on Where They Will Go

GonzaGAW
10-03-2015, 08:02 AM
- we know coach wants to play the 3 bigs together some, so I'm thinking there could be 90 minutes available, not just 80 for spots 4 and 5.
- our best player is wiltjer (a.a. candidate) and will have the most minutes on the floor, he and karnowski will see an addl 2.5 minutes this year, but sabonis an addl 3.5 minutes.
- witljer 31
- karnowski 27
- sabonis 25
- Edwards 7

- this leaves 110 minutes of which I think 5 minutes will go to the end of the bench, and 105 minutes for the remaining 5 players in what looks like a clear 9 man rotation.
- I think dranginis' minutes will increase but he gets squeezed out some with the limited minutes available at the 3. coach is going to want perkins on the floor the most. McClellan gets second most as he can play all 3 backcourt positions. alberts is the wild card.
- perkins 28
- McClellan 22
- dranginis 20
- melson 20
- alberts 15

- I think the more minutes perkins and alberts play, the better the team may be, as it would show perkins can handle running the team and alberts reported shooting stroke and slashing ability is proving effective.

- there are plenty of minutes out there, have at them, what do you think?

MickMick
10-03-2015, 09:23 AM
I believe it would be a mistake to play McClellan more than any other player on your list. In other words I believe he should receive the least time.

His stature on this forum is a product of wishful thinking, not from what he has displayed on the court.

I'm waiting for some measureable numbers, anything quantifiable, to convince me otherwise. What does he bring to the table except for subjective, opinionated "intangibles".

Sorry for being brutally honest.

GoZags
10-03-2015, 09:45 AM
I believe it would be a mistake to play McClellan more than any other player on your list. In other words I believe he should receive the least time.

His stature on this forum is a product of wishful thinking, not from what he has displayed on the court.

I'm waiting for some measureable numbers, anything quantifiable, to convince me otherwise. What does he bring to the table except for subjective, opinionated "intangibles".

Maybe he'll be a little better this season ... since he isn't battling the immediate aftermath of a mid-season broken foot. Kinda tough for a guy to be "all that" when he isn't able to practice.

"Wishful thinking" based on 14.3 ppg for Vanderbilt I guess is "still" wishful thinking.

There is one thing that IS unquestioned ... Eric McLellan is a leader, and his "presence" is helpful to the team ... not only the players but the coaches. I am hoping better health (i.e. no broken foot this year) translates into being more effective for the Zags on the floor.

zag buddy
10-03-2015, 09:50 AM
+1

ProjectMKUltra5
10-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Maybe he'll be a little better this season ... since he isn't battling the immediate aftermath of a mid-season broken foot. Kinda tough for a guy to be "all that" when he isn't able to practice.

"Wishful thinking" based on 14.3 ppg for Vanderbilt I guess is "still" wishful thinking.

There is one thing that IS unquestioned ... Eric McLellan is a leader, and his "presence" is helpful to the team ... not only the players but the coaches. I am hoping better health (i.e. no broken foot this year) translates into being more effective for the Zags on the floor.

I love how everyone talks about how our offense is such a well oiled machine that requires just the right kind of player, then just turn around and act like McClellan will score because he scored at Vandy. One would think his time at Gonzaga is a better indicator of how he'll perform here then his time at Vandy.

GoZags
10-03-2015, 10:13 AM
I love how everyone talks about how our offense is such a well oiled machine that requires just the right kind of player, then just turn around and act like McClellan will score because he scored at Vandy. One would think his time at Gonzaga is a better indicator of how he'll perform here then his time at Vandy.

You'll have to point out where "everyone" (including myself) said anything about McClellan (thanks for picking up on my typo) being a scorer at Gonzaga. I "could" be wrong but I thought I used the words "more effective". Also, I was "thinking" that THIS thread was about spreading out 200 minutes a game (not about spreading out 80 ppg). EM is known by his GU family as a leader and as a "stopper".

I don't know how this year will pan out (thus I didn't contribute to the spread of the minutes).

That being said, I happen to think that a kid that actually gets to practice full time with his teammates (and isn't limited to 10 mpg once he's able to hit the floor) "might" be a little better (i.e. "more effective") than last year when he faced those limitations.

But hey ... please continue feel free to add your insights into things that aren't said (or even implied) in a post. If everyone thought the same, the world (and this board) would be a pretty boring place.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
You'll have to point out where "everyone" (including myself) said anything about McClellan (thanks for picking up on my typo) being a scorer at Gonzaga. I was thinking that this thread was about spreading out 200 minutes a game (not about spreading out 80 ppg). EM is known by his GU family as a leader and as a "stopper".

I don't know how this year will pan out (thus I didn't contribute to the spread of the minutes).

That being said, I happen to think that a kid that actually gets to practice full time with his teammates (and isn't limited to 10 mpg once he's able to hit the floor) "might" be a little better than last year when he faced those limitations.

But hey ... please continue feel free to add your insights into things that aren't said (or even implied) in a post. If everyone thought the same, the world (and this board) would be a pretty boring place.

"Wishful thinking" based on 14.3 ppg for Vanderbilt I guess is "still" wishful thinking." - GoZags

Nobody was talking about his offense until you were big man.

GoZags
10-03-2015, 10:33 AM
"Wishful thinking" based on 14.3 ppg for Vanderbilt I guess is "still" wishful thinking." - GoZags

Nobody was talking about his offense until you were big man.

Ummm ... thanks for clearing that up ... but now that you seem intent on focusing on his scoring (and none of his other "attributes" ... including his non-broken foot) I'd "guess" that he'll score in double figures about a dozen or so times this year ... and "guess" that there will be multiple games (at least 2) where he'll be GU's leading scorer.

To be clear ... I'm not doing a Joe Namath "guarantee" ... that's just a "guess" based on his capabilities (proven when he wasn't dealing with a broken foot/recovery)

maynard g krebs
10-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I think Perkins plays 32-34 or more in any game that's competitive.

McClellan doesn't need to score his Vandy numbers to be effective, and of course he won't. But I thought you have to factor in the rust and lack of on court time with the team when evaluating his play last year, and the fact that Few trusted him over Melson at the end of the year says a lot. I see him playing playing a few more minutes per game than the youngsters; Dranginis as well. The guards that are most proficient at getting the bigs the ball where they need it should play the most, given that there's just enough 3 pt shooting to keep the posts from being doubled.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Ummm ... thanks for clearing that up ... but now that you seem intent on focusing on his scoring (and none of his other "attributes" ... including his non-broken foot) I'd "guess" that he'll score in double figures about a dozen or so times this year ... and "guess" that there will be multiple games (at least 2) where he'll be GU's leading scorer.

To be clear ... I'm not doing a Joe Namath "guarantee" ... that's just a "guess" based on his capabilities (proven when he wasn't dealing with a broken foot/recovery)

I'm not focusing on anything. I just don't agree that his foot is the reason for his lack of output on offense. His foot was good enough to show off his supreme athleticism and his defensive prowess. I believe that he was on a short leash and scoring wasn't his role.

That's not to say he doesn't have tremendous value. This is blasphemous but I really think he'll be better then Bell defensively and I was very pleasantly surprised by his ability to be a point and run the offense. He'll have great value as backup ball handler and will probably guard the other teams best player. It's a big year for him, no matter what you think his exact role will be.

GonzaGAW
10-03-2015, 11:11 AM
I think Perkins plays 32-34 or more in any game that's competitive.

McClellan doesn't need to score his Vandy numbers to be effective, and of course he won't. But I thought you have to factor in the rust and lack of on court time with the team when evaluating his play last year, and the fact that Few trusted him over Melson at the end of the year says a lot. I see him playing playing a few more minutes per game than the youngsters; Dranginis as well. The guards that are most proficient at getting the bigs the ball where they need it should play the most, given that there's just enough 3 pt shooting to keep the posts from being doubled.

- good point, give the minutes to the guards that can feed the post players

MickMick
10-03-2015, 02:44 PM
- good point, give the minutes to the guards that can feed the post players

Using this criteria, I would say Perkins and Dranginis.

kreese555
10-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Wiltjer: 30 mpg
Przemek: 25 mpg
Sabonis: 25 mpg
Edwards: 10 mpg

Perkins: 30 mpg
McClellan: 25 mpg
KD: 23 mpg
Melson: 17 mpg
Alberts: 10 mpg

End of Bench: 5 mpg

Has there been a "Predict the Starting 5" thread?

Start of the season:

1- Perkins
2- McClellan
3- KD
4- Wiltjer
5- PK

Nelson first G off the bench, Sabonis obviously first sub overall.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Whichever point guard most fully earns Coach Few's trust will play more minutes than any other player. I suspect that Perkins will be that player.

DixieZag
10-03-2015, 04:27 PM

Wow - you are right so often that it makes this kind of an outlier, IMO

At least with respect to "my" thinking, PT for McClellan is based solely upon how big and fast he looked, how strong he looked, how poised he looked, - he looked like he knew he belonged out there and needed to lead.

Anyway, I'm wrong about a whole lot of things - maybe this's one of them, but that's my impression.

Worthington
10-03-2015, 04:42 PM

I find this post to be a head scratcher. McClellan is basically the only guard (outside of Dranginis) with a large sample size of measurable statistics to look at. He played more than Melson down the stretch and obviously Alberts was being redshirted last year for a reason. I don't see why either of those players should get the benefit of the doubt from you while McClellan doesn't...I think that what we saw from McClellan last year was a willingness to embrace a role for the betterment of the team and the ability to be a game changer on the defensive end (@Santa Clara when Few brought him in to slow down Brownridge). And while clearly under different circumstances, he's already been a double digit scorer at a high level in the past. I know Gerard Coleman's situation was somewhat similar, but I don't think we ever saw the same kind of defensive effort from him or the willingness to play within the system. I'd love to know what "measurable numbers" you have on Melson, Perkins or Alberts that tell you they should play more than McClellan

MickMick
10-03-2015, 05:11 PM
I find this post to be a head scratcher. McClellan is basically the only guard (outside of Dranginis) with a large sample size of measurable statistics to look at. He played more than Melson down the stretch and obviously Alberts was being redshirted last year for a reason. I don't see why either of those players should get the benefit of the doubt from you while McClellan doesn't...I think that what we saw from McClellan last year was a willingness to embrace a role for the betterment of the team and the ability to be a game changer on the defensive end (@Santa Clara when Few brought him in to slow down Brownridge). And while clearly under different circumstances, he's already been a double digit scorer at a high level in the past. I know Gerard Coleman's situation was somewhat similar, but I don't think we ever saw the same kind of defensive effort from him or the willingness to play within the system. I'd love to know what "measurable numbers" you have on Melson, Perkins or Alberts that tell you they should play more than McClellan

I'll keep it simple. If other younger, less experienced players do not step up and surpass McClellan, then I would immediately consider them a disappointment. All based upon what I have observed.

Who knows? Maybe the light bulb will switch on for McClellan and he lives up to expectations. I don't see it happening.

Let the season play out. Bookmark this and rub it in my face if I'm wrong. I'll take the credibility loss. The caveat isn't that he is just starting in WCC games. He has to play at a level required to advance in post season. We will know by mid season if he can play at that level.

In short, I see a huge gap between what I read here and what I see on the court. It will take a lot to make up that sizeable difference.

On edit: If McClellan proves to be as dynamic as many folks tell me, GU is certainly a valid final four level team. For that reason, I hope I'm wrong. I don't think I am. GU may be able to run roughshod through the WCC heavily dependent upon him, but they are not going anywhere further unless he or someone else plays at a much higher level.

seacatfan
10-03-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle with McClellan. What we saw of him in a Gonzaga uniform (I honestly never saw him play for Tulsa or Vandy) is that he can bring the ball up the court quickly and can initiate the offense, and he plays tough defense. That's about it. He hit a few 3's, but not enough to keep the D honest unless he demonstrates otherwise. With his quickness he can certainly drive into the lane but he was not a good finisher at all. Yes Few had some trust in him down the stretch of the season, but he wasn't a productive player at all. 1.9 ppg in 8.1 mpg w/ .333 fg and .375 from 3. The 3 point % is decent but the overall FG% is abysmal. That was in 18 games, roughly half of the games GU played last year. He certainly needs to be more productive and more efficient than that if he's going to be playing fairly major minutes this season.

Bogozags
10-03-2015, 07:03 PM
As Kreese555 stated in his post, I believe the starting line-up against Pitt will be as he listed:

1- Perkins (25-30)/McClellan
2- McClellan (20-30)/Melson(15-20)
3- KD (25-30)/Alberts (10-15)
4- Wiltjer (25-35)/Sabonis (25-30)
5- PK (25-30)/Edwards (10-15)

Minutes will be based on how well Perkins adjusts to playing PG and if does well, he will eventually play 30+ minutes in competitive games as MGK stated. McClellan will be key in the back court this season to our success. He will be a consistent scorer somewhere around 7-10 pts early in the season and this might come down as the season progresses and the line-ups change with the interchangeable parts we have. I believe KD will see close to 30 minutes early as well and those might diminish as line-ups change. Also, playing time will also be predicated on foul trouble depending on how officials call the game. By the time we get into WCC Tourney, I would think Coach Few will play with eight players with whom he feels most comfortable, that is baring any injuries, which would effect playing time - Perkins is the prime example. IMO we will see KD have a much larger role on offense, Coach Few has to let me be more of a scorer as he will cause match-up problems for many teams. As good a player as GBJ was, imo he didn't look to score more, which I think was a detriment at times last season. Also, if playing KW, DS and PK all at the same time pays dividends, then that will also determine minutes at the two and three spots.

This Gonzaga team will create problems for each team on our schedule, because of all the different line-ups that can play on the court. Not only does this team "like" each other, they really enjoy playing with each other. Not a ball hog among'em :)

I am excited and am looking forward to playing Pitt, they will be a nice challenge for the Zags and I feel very confident of the outcome.

SteelZag
10-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Perkins @30 mpg.
Wiltjer @30 mpg.
Sabonis @27 mpg.
Karnowski @27 mpg.
Dranginis @30 mpg.

Melson, McClellan and Alberts will fight for the rest of the minutes which will be based on needs and whoever may have a hot hand. I just don't see Edwards getting too many minutes this season unless there is severe foul trouble. If for example, both DS and KW are in foul trouble, I see Few having 4 guards before he would employ two 7'1" players.

I don't see a problem with having 3 bigs on the floor for short spurts. I don't believe most of the schools we will face have players as good as Stacy Davis or Kyle Collingsworth. As long as the three bigs can get out of each others' way, I just don't see a down side playing them at the same time with the schedule Gonzaga has. I really think it is somewhat unfortunate that we have such gifted frontcourt players because I think we have a pretty talented backcourt as well.

zagamatic
10-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Um, can we at least wait til Kraziness in the Kennel before we start throwing people under the bus?
I like McLellan as much as I like any of the other guards we have. In fact, I think that when it comes to guarding players like Kyle Collinsworth, there's him and Dranginis that can defend him this year. I'm not saying that Eric will get more minutes than Perkins or Dranginis, but probably more than Melson. But, I don't see anything based on last years performances that puts any of the guards head and shoulders above the others in EVERY CATEGORY. A good off season of skills growth for any of them and it's a true toss-up. I'm definitely excited to see how it shakes out though.
My biggest worry for a bust this year is actually Perkins. A serious injury like he had can make a player skittish about contact, especially when there's a lot of people expecting a lot from him. His aggressiveness level from the start will be very telling.
The only "known" factors as I see it are our bigs. Wiltjer will likely get the most minutes of them. DS & PK slightly less than him, but still a lot. With Edwards getting probably only 10-12 a game unless he really earns it.
Kraziness can't get here fast enough, I need a fix!

Mr Vulture
10-04-2015, 07:49 AM
There is no way Dranginis plays 30mpg this year. I think you are close in the case of the other three guys but I think Edwards will get 15mpg so I think you can cut down the minutes a little for Karno and Sabonis.

Perkins @30 mpg.
Wiltjer @30 mpg.
Sabonis @27 mpg.
Karnowski @27 mpg.
Dranginis @30 mpg.

Melson, McClellan and Alberts will fight for the rest of the minutes which will be based on needs and whoever may have a hot hand. I just don't see Edwards getting too many minutes this season unless there is severe foul trouble. If for example, both DS and KW are in foul trouble, I see Few having 4 guards before he would employ two 7'1" players.

I don't see a problem with having 3 bigs on the floor for short spurts. I don't believe most of the schools we will face have players as good as Stacy Davis or Kyle Collingsworth. As long as the three bigs can get out of each others' way, I just don't see a down side playing them at the same time with the schedule Gonzaga has. I really think it is somewhat unfortunate that we have such gifted frontcourt players because I think we have a pretty talented backcourt as well.

zag67
10-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Here is my take. First of all, we all "should" know that these players will play themselves into and out of minutes. It could be their attitude, not knowing the plays, fouls, shooting (bad choise of shots, poor percentages), defense, passing, consistently being in the wrong place on either the offensive or defensive ends of the court. Or it could be things that we do not even see, like how they do in practice. Any of these can cause a change in minutes.

But here is mine:

Perkins - 25 to 30
Dranginis - 22 to 28
Wiltjer - 25 to 30
Karnowski - 22 to 28
Sabonis - 22 to 28

McClellan - 20 to 27
Melson - 20 to 27
Alberts - 20 to 27

My low is about 176 and my high is over 200. Also the number of minutes may change depending on how aggressive we get at both ends of the court. If the coaches decide to have all of the players play 100% at both ends, but fewer minutes, then they will play fewer minutes at a time. I think that this team is deep enough to do something like that.

Sorry, Zag buddy. Yes I do see Edwards playing 5 to 10 minutes and possibly more as the year goes on

zag buddy
10-04-2015, 11:37 AM
zag 67 no Edwards? Its wouldn't suprise me to see Ryan Edwards in at the end of the game because of his defensive prowess and free throw shooting percentage. I also think that along with Batista Ryne has the best foot work of any big man I've seen at Gonzaga.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-04-2015, 11:41 AM
There is no way Dranginis plays 30mpg this year. I think you are close in the case of the other three guys but I think Edwards will get 15mpg so I think you can cut down the minutes a little for Karno and Sabonis.

I could make an argument for Kyle D to get the most minutes. He's done everything from the 4 when we go small against BYU to a backup ball handler that starts the offense. With some questions about just how the lineup will work it wouldn't suprise me if Dranginis gets the most minutes, particularly early in the season.

BULLDOG#1
10-04-2015, 03:32 PM

Did you mean to type 'Melson' and not McClellan?

The eye test last year clearly showed that McClellan could handle the team and the pressure. Melson underachieved.

Folks on this board are ready to make Melson the next star (i.e. wishful thinking) and ignore how solid McCellan played in very meaningful minutes last year.

TexasZagFan
10-04-2015, 04:16 PM
zag 67 no Edwards? Its wouldn't suprise me to see Ryan Edwards in at the end of the game because of his defensive prowess and free throw shooting percentage. I also think that along with Batista Ryne has the best foot work of any big man I've seen at Gonzaga.

I believe Mr. Edwards will be playing much more than we think. Early in the season, whistles are quicker, and how many times have we seen our bigs pick up two quick fouls?

Maybe things will change with WCC officiating this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also understand the enthusiasm for McClellan, and I'm hoping he shines brightly this year. Vandy and Tulsa are NOT Gonzaga.

TexasZagFan
10-04-2015, 04:19 PM

The eye test last year clearly showed that McClellan could handle the team and the pressure. Melson underachieved.

Folks on this board are ready to make Melson the next star (i.e. wishful thinking) and ignore how solid McCellan played in very meaningful minutes last year.

Melson was a freshman last year. If he doesn't progress, he won't be on the court. I saw the same thing with Tim Hardaway at UTEP, I had season tickets back then. Tim progressed as he matured; during his senior year, Haskins had the ball in his hands 80% of the time.

MickMick
10-04-2015, 05:17 PM

So you believe that McClellan was "solid"?

Forget that pedestrian field goal percentage and inability to finish at the rim. Forget his tendency to pass around the horn instead of a well executed post entry pass.

He was a very solid place keeper. If a younger player doesn't quickly surpass him, the guard bar will be set quite low. The lowest since 2010, perhaps lower.

Mr Vulture
10-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I can't see it in any way. He is a good player and definitely help us win but he also has limitations that often times lead to fouls. I wouldn't expect to see him much over 20 minutes a game on average. I'd imagine that both MCLennan and Alberts play at the three and maybe even a few minutes from Wiltjer each game.

I could make an argument for Kyle D to get the most minutes. He's done everything from the 4 when we go small against BYU to a backup ball handler that starts the offense. With some questions about just how the lineup will work it wouldn't suprise me if Dranginis gets the most minutes, particularly early in the season.

BULLDOG#1
10-04-2015, 07:34 PM
So you believe that McClellan was "solid"?

Forget that pedestrian field goal percentage and inability to finish at the rim. Forget his tendency to pass around the horn instead of a well executed post entry pass.

He was a very solid place keeper. If a younger player doesn't quickly surpass him, the guard bar will be set quite low. The lowest since 2010, perhaps lower.

Yes. Solid.

Call it a solid place keeper in your language, but solid just the same. More than the younger players.
McClellan was really amazing on defense, even against top tier teams in the tournament. Pedestrian on office, admittedly, but that's not what was required of him.
He facilitated on offense when Pangos needed a blow and helped Bell on the wing.

Like others on this board, I have high hopes for Melson. Still, from what I witnessed at the end of last year, McClellan has earned the minutes in year.

Maybe things have changed over the summer, we'll have to see...

I guess we just disagree on McClellan.

Coach Crazy
10-04-2015, 09:11 PM
I can't see it in any way. He is a good player and definitely help us win but he also has limitations that often times lead to fouls. I wouldn't expect to see him much over 20 minutes a game on average. I'd imagine that both MCLennan and Alberts play at the three and maybe even a few minutes from Wiltjer each game.

Considering his efficiency, I cannot see how he is going to get surpassed unless he proves he's not going to be able to maintain a percentage of that efficiency with the increased minutes. He very well could outperform BW's numbers from last year. I have yet to Alberts play, so I can't imagine he'd be getting much more than 10 or so a game. I wasn't a KD fan up to a certain point, but then I had to accept that my views on that may not be justified.

zagfan24
10-05-2015, 05:30 AM
My guess is that end of season averages will be about this:

Perkins: 32
Wiltjer: 32
Sabonis: 30
Karnowski: 26
Dranginis: 26
McClellan: 22
Melson: 18
Edwards: 8
Alberts: 6

I think Perkins will be outstanding, and I sense that Few likes having his starting PG running the show as much as possible. Karnowski's time will be about quality over quantity...I think being spelled by Edwards for a few minutes each half will actually be a big help to him. Sabonis will be hard to keep off the floor much, despite not starting. He's just too damn talented. My guess is that there will be spot situations where the "Big 3" share the floor based on who the Zags are playing, but it will be mostly limited.

titopoet
10-05-2015, 08:07 AM
I think the shooting guard that does the best playing off Karno will get the most minutes. As the year progressed, the offense ran more more through Karno. Wesley was great because he understood this and slashed to the basket with Karno finding him. Dranginis also does this, but as a good 3 point shooter he may be needed on the perimeter. So, if Eric or Melson will get the minutes. On D, Eric is very good, and if Few does go three bigs, then Eric will be needed on the perimeter to pressure the opposing PG to lessen the pressure on the bigs.

On offense... the reality is the majority of shots will go to the big three and with Karno's passing and pressure he presents, having most of the offense go through him as he finds Wiltjer and Sabonis in wing to attack. Perkins will a perfect PG for this offense as his vision and passing will be deadly. The guards will be getting a lot of open threes as the frontcourt pressure will force double teams, but the high BB IQ of the three bigs is such an asset.

amaronizag
10-05-2015, 10:05 AM
player minutes
JP 34
KD 26
KW 28
DS 26
PK 26

SM 18
BA 18
EM 16
RE 8

Zagricultural
10-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Not buying that we will end up with anything more than a little matchup experimentation with all 3 bigs on the floor at once. Hence my predictions.

Karno 25
wiltjer 28
Sabonis 26
Edwards 6

Perkins 30
KD 26
E-Mac 23
Melson 21
Alberts 10
Bench 5