PDA

View Full Version : Predicting 1st Loss of the Season

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-03-2015, 06:37 AM
Article from BleacherReport predicts 1st loss of season for each of the top basketball teams in the country: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2573242-predicting-the-1st-loss-of-the-2015-16-season-for-top-college-basketball-teams/page/9

They say Zags' first loss will be vs UConn in Finals of Battle 4 Atlantis.
I predict first loss will be in semis of Battle 4 Atlantis vs Texas.

Any other guesses....or do you think Zags go undefeated?!

DixieZag
10-03-2015, 07:22 AM
With the number of teams he has saying "could" beat us, and the noted backcourt youth, it's a wonder how he got to the statement that we're "an undeniable top-15 team." Sure seems like he may be denying it.

Bleacher report.

UCLA at home after gearing up to beat Arizona.

Mr Vulture
10-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Eastern Oregon. :roll:

ProjectMKUltra5
10-03-2015, 08:53 AM
We're literally better then every team on the schedule, there's not a game we won't be the favorites in, so I don't have a clue.

I'll roll with UConn in the B4A though, I'm mad high on Kevin Ollie

zagsfanforlife
10-03-2015, 09:01 AM
We're literally better then every team on the schedule, there's not a game we won't be the favorites in, so I don't have a clue.

I'll roll with UConn in the B4A though, I'm mad high on Kevin Ollie

I am with you on Uconn. They will be very good this year---- IF/WHEN their transfers gel in. They have two transfers who will be main contributors in Sean Miller and Sterling Gibbs. Since that game is earlier in the year, not sure they will be good enough to beat the Zags. But by the end of the year Uconn will be a top 10-15 team imo. Tons of talent and good coaching.

GoZags
10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
This one is easy ....

Maybe I read too much Dawgman.com ... but in this case ... the Husky fight song rings true vis a vis Gonzaga.

"Heaven help the foes of Waaah ... shington"

"They're trembling at the feet of MIGHTY WAAAAH ... SHINGON" ....

BTW I'm not big on emoji's etc ... so use your imagination to conjur up a "sarcasm" or "j/k" symbol.
-------------
FWIW I take nothing for granted ... I cherish each victory and take each loss hard. I'm hoping the Zags can run the table and IF they have to suffer a loss ... it'll be at the same site as their last defeat (only a weekend later).

Zagcity
10-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Article from BleacherReport predicts 1st loss of season for each of the top basketball teams in the country: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2573242-predicting-the-1st-loss-of-the-2015-16-season-for-top-college-basketball-teams/page/9

They say Zags' first loss will be vs UConn in Finals of Battle 4 Atlantis.
I predict first loss will be in semis of Battle 4 Atlantis vs Texas.

Any other guesses....or do you think Zags go undefeated?!

Superstition rule number one never think negative only Positive:fingergun:

ZAGGED OUT
10-03-2015, 11:25 AM
This one is easy ....

Maybe I read too much Dawgman.com ... but in this case ... the Husky fight song rings true vis a vis Gonzaga.

"Heaven help the foes of Waaah ... shington"

"They're trembling at the feet of MIGHTY WAAAAH ... SHINGON" ....

BTW I'm not big on emoji's etc ... so use your imagination to conjur up a "sarcasm" or "j/k" symbol.
-------------
FWIW I take nothing for granted ... I cherish each victory and take each loss hard. I'm hoping the Zags can run the table and IF they have to suffer a loss ... it'll be at the same site as their last defeat (only a weekend later).

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, you really think we'll lose to UW? Really?

bartruff1
10-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Pitt will be no gimmie....... they have 4 starters back and some transfers...they have a experienced point guard and they can also play inside.

No.....I doubt Gonzaga will be undefeated.

Nevada Don
10-03-2015, 01:30 PM
A one in a million happening when some Zag players are snowbound in Spokane along with a temporary case of Mad Taco Disease allowing the Gaels to slip by with a win at McKeon over the 5 remaining player Zag team.

seacatfan
10-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I am with you on Uconn. They will be very good this year---- IF/WHEN their transfers gel in. They have two transfers who will be main contributors in Sean Miller and Sterling Gibbs. Since that game is earlier in the year, not sure they will be good enough to beat the Zags. But by the end of the year Uconn will be a top 10-15 team imo. Tons of talent and good coaching.

This caught my eye as I wondered if the coach of that other team I root for somehow got some more eligibility and returned to his east coast roots to play for UConn. But alas, the transfer for the Huskies is Shonn, not Sean. Too many ways to spell that one.

GoZags
10-03-2015, 01:58 PM
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, you really think we'll lose to UW? Really?

No. I don't.

I need one of those selfie cams so board members can see the tongue planted firmly in cheek.

seacatfan
10-03-2015, 02:11 PM
No. I don't.

I need one of those selfie cams so board members can see the tongue planted firmly in cheek.

I thought it was self evident. You even mentioned that readers could use their imagination to insert sarcasm. I almost responded, then wondered if the previous response was being sarcastic about your post. It's just too darn hard to tell what a person actually means just based on words with no emoticons to help interpret.

I think there are actually some posters who are concerned about this matchup, although I still don't understand why. Andrew Andrews and about 15 freshmen a few games into the season...not seeing it.

GoZags
10-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Again, I take nothing for granted. But the Huskies get back from Shanghai a few days after the Zags return from Okinawa. And folks that know me know that I try not to miss a chance to mock part of their "fight"
song.
I thought it was self evident. You even mentioned that readers could use their imagination to insert sarcasm. I almost responded, then wondered if the previous response was being sarcastic about your post. It's just too darn hard to tell what a person actually means just based on words with no emoticons to help interpret.

I think there are actually some posters who are concerned about this matchup, although I still don't understand why. Andrew Andrews and about 15 freshmen a few games into the season...not seeing it.

23dpg
10-03-2015, 09:28 PM
http://worktankseattle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Grumpy-Cat-NO-300x300.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Zags don't win a game all season... at least according to my predictions for each game.

zagamatic
10-03-2015, 11:29 PM
I'll go with at BYU

sheps001
10-04-2015, 10:34 AM
The question is too negative. Ye of little faith. I refuse to comment

gonzagafan62
10-04-2015, 10:52 AM
If we play Texas , we will lose to Texas. Go aggies!

TexasZagFan
10-04-2015, 04:22 PM
First loss will come in December...2016.

bigblahla
10-04-2015, 08:11 PM
About the last thing I'll ever do is predict a loss....I enter every season thinking we're gonna win them all...sometimes unrealistic but then I'm a Zags fan....IMO this is a final four TEAM come March....the potential is there to overwhelm anyone and everyone they play....that is not a knock on any of our upcoming opponents that's how good I think this TEAM can be....gonna be a great year....

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagaZags
10-04-2015, 08:49 PM
40-0

MDABE80
10-05-2015, 12:23 AM
At this point we could lose to any of the ranked opponents. BYU at their p[lace is always threatening as well. BUT I don't see anyone on our schedule with a likelihood to beat GU this year. I'm not even concerned about our perimeter players. Eric and Dranginis are seasoned veterans who play hard defense. Eric obviously is a nice scorer as well. Jenkins is strong in the passing dept and can score when needed.
Our bigs are all strong.
I don't were assured of any loss so far. Always AZ is a threat. UConn as well but when the games are played, we'll keep up.

Bogozags
10-05-2015, 08:37 AM
First loss will come in December...2016.

Prophetic are we...

amaronizag
10-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Reports are finally in, no hurricane damage to Atlantis so the tournament should go on as scheduled.

We should beat everybody until a FF loss in March. However, we may have one lapse in concentration (like our loss on Sr night last season) and that could come from anywhere --- BYU, Pepperdine, AZ, SMU, TX, UW???? Fouls, off night shooting, etc can easily factor their way into a loss. Three years ago we were VERY lucky to eek out a 1 pt win at WSU. Ya never know. I just hope it's not Pitt in Japan or any team we face in the Bahamas. More likely a conference game. Hard to keep up the intensity all season long.

kclubfounder
10-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Japan is where Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson in arguably sports biggest upset. The game is on a US base and not in the Tokyo Dome, so it shouldn't be a totally weird setting with a strangely silent crowd like the fight. Still, the setting makes me nervous.

My official pick is at Pepperdine on 2/6/16. It's going to be a GREAT year.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Hopefully not a bad karma loss at WSU because we're apparently insinuating they aren't good enough to play us

primal23
10-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Pittsburgh

cjm720
10-12-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking this should be a question for the 2016 or 2017 season :) Let's make history!!

ZagsGoZags
10-12-2015, 10:35 AM
AZ

willandi
10-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Pretty obvious! The Karnovore for a few weeks to pneumonia!. Not sure about losing any games, it could happen.

Goshzagit
10-12-2015, 11:41 AM
could be without PK for the first few games of the season.

Pitt has a huge front court coming in and some length.

Could catch us by surprise.

maynard g krebs
10-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Can this thread be closed and allowed to die? Speculation about when something's gonna go wrong- I don't see the point. It's like wondering when a rock is gonna fall on my foot; not worth the trouble.

ZagNative
10-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Can this thread be closed and allowed to die? Speculation about when something's gonna go wrong- I don't see the point. It's like wondering when a rock is gonna fall on my foot; not worth the trouble.Agreed!

MDABE80
10-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Zero losses. ALL wins. Now..close this thing.

strikenowhere
10-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't feel like I'm drinking kool-aid when I say that I don't see a loss happening until the Dance (as always depending on matchups & injuries). Both Arizona & UCLA are home games and they are both down. SMU is a bit of a mess right now. Pittsburgh & Tennessee are middling Power 5 teams which the Zags have always dined upon. Maybe Washington St. can get a jump on them in Pullman since its a rivalry game? The Battle for Atlantis contains some marquee names as well, but they aren't exactly going to be Duke, Kentucky, etc this year.

LongIslandZagFan
10-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Nah... not going to close it... that would be censorship... something mods and admins get accused of but rarely do.

bartruff1
10-12-2015, 01:03 PM
If you don't like the thread ....don't read it...

maynard g krebs
10-12-2015, 01:16 PM
If you don't like the thread ....don't read it...

I haven't been for a while. But it keeps popping up at the top of the page, like a zit or a hemorrhoid, reminding me of its unpleasant existence...:)

LongIslandZagFan
10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I haven't been for a while. But it keeps popping up at the top of the page, like a zit or a hemorrhoid, reminding me of its unpleasant existence...:)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/hpc/detail-page/clearasil-B00112RP68-1-l.jpg

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Can this thread be closed and allowed to die? Speculation about when something's gonna go wrong- I don't see the point. It's like wondering when a rock is gonna fall on my foot; not worth the trouble.

I started the thread as a way to pass time and read others' opinions as to relative strengths/weaknesses of this year's team vs this year's opponents. College hoops has not had an undefeated team since Indiana in '76, so assuming Zags are going to have a first loss of the season at some point is realistic thinking not defeatism or negativity...just a hoops fan trying to strike up conversation about hoops. Never intended to offend our more sensitive dreamers on the board.

seacatfan
10-12-2015, 01:53 PM
There have been a few undefeated regular season teams since Indiana in '76, but even that is extremely rare. I think talking about going undefeated is rather silly. Unlike football a few losses in bball really doesn't matter. I'm not going to predict what game the Zags are most likely to lose. A handful of solid teams that could get them in OOC, or anything can happen in WCC play. We'll see. Should be a great season!

maynard g krebs
10-12-2015, 02:00 PM
I started the thread as a way to pass time and read others' opinions as to relative strengths/weaknesses of this year's team vs this year's opponents. College hoops has not had an undefeated team since Indiana in '76, so assuming Zags are going to have a first loss of the season at some point is realistic thinking not defeatism or negativity...just a hoops fan trying to strike up conversation about hoops. Never intended to offend our more sensitive dreamers on the board.

I didn't intend to offend you either; sorry if I did. If the thread was something like toughest challenges or most difficult games to win and why, I'd prefer it. Nobody thinks the team will go unbeaten; the Zags will lose a few, but there really isn't one on the schedule where they should be picked to lose that particular game, imo.

I was out of line suggesting the thread be closed, and I apologize for saying that; just a moment of pique.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-12-2015, 02:16 PM
I didn't intend to offend you either; sorry if I did. If the thread was something like toughest challenges or most difficult games to win and why, I'd prefer it. Nobody thinks the team will go unbeaten; the Zags will lose a few, but there really isn't one on the schedule where they should be picked to lose that particular game, imo.

I was out of line suggesting the thread be closed, and I apologize for saying that; just a moment of pique.

Thanks Maynard, no offense taken. I'm just feeling insecure after getting no love in the favorite posters thread! :-)

I'm hoping for a Zags vs Texas matchup in semis of Battle 4 Atlantis because a pressing, athletic team would likely give Zags trouble and force our guards to grow up fast. I certainly don't want Zags to lose even once this year, but I do want them to be challenged and forced to improve.

MDABE80
10-12-2015, 03:16 PM
We have 2 very experienced 6 ft 4 and 6 ft 5 senior guards. I don't think they'll be forced to grow up by anyone. Jenks? Maybe. I get your drift on this but we are experienced everywhere..............Looks to me like we just need Jenks to tune himself up.
i must admit it . I have more confidence in this team than any in the past 10 years... I shouldpoint out that I never thought the ast team would see an E 8 in the beginning of the season. WIth this group, I almost expect it. Yes. we'll miss Gary and Kevin Pangos but I think this new group will be as good and maybe better. Big are fine and more experienced. I worry about Karno though. So unusual from a healthy young kid to acquire Pneumonia. I hope this turns out well for him.. I do think, unless something horrible goes on, this team can be a FF team. After seeing Saturday's events, I have a lot more confidence in this group. Looks like Emac is better, Kyle is better, and Jenks simply grew by a lot of watching. Hard practice this summer improved Jenks hugely. I do think he's ready to work.

seacatfan
10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
As long as there are no serious injuries or illnesses (knock on wood), 9 is plenty. Honestly most teams play only 7 or 8 for the vast majority of minutes.

TexasZagFan
10-13-2015, 05:42 AM
Thanks Maynard, no offense taken. I'm just feeling insecure after getting no love in the favorite posters thread! :-)

I'm hoping for a Zags vs Texas matchup in semis of Battle 4 Atlantis because a pressing, athletic team would likely give Zags trouble and force our guards to grow up fast. I certainly don't want Zags to lose even once this year, but I do want them to be challenged and forced to improve.

I'd be willing to be that our practices will be more challenging than last year. The battle for minutes will be fierce for the 1, 2, and 3 slots (4 & 5 are pretty much set, IMO). If Wiltjer's slotted for the 3, then 1 & 2 will be even tighter.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-13-2015, 06:16 AM
We have 2 very experienced 6 ft 4 and 6 ft 5 senior guards. I don't think they'll be forced to grow up by anyone. Jenks? Maybe. I get your drift on this but we are experienced everywhere..............Looks to me like we just need Jenks to tune himself up.
i must admit it . I have more confidence in this team than any in the past 10 years... I shouldpoint out that I never thought the ast team would see an E 8 in the beginning of the season. WIth this group, I almost expect it. Yes. we'll miss Gary and Kevin Pangos but I think this new group will be as good and maybe better. Big are fine and more experienced. I worry about Karno though. So unusual from a healthy young kid to acquire Pneumonia. I hope this turns out well for him.. I do think, unless something horrible goes on, this team can be a FF team. After seeing Saturday's events, I have a lot more confidence in this group. Looks like Emac is better, Kyle is better, and Jenks simply grew by a lot of watching. Hard practice this summer improved Jenks hugely. I do think he's ready to work.

Dranginis is experienced but not a primary ball handler. I agree McClellan and Perkins should be fine handling pressure D as they are both exceptional ballhandlers, but I'm thinking when one of them is on the bench is when Zags will be most vulnerable to a pressing team....until either Melson or Alberts show they have great handles and can make good decisions vs pressure D. Hoping KD has improved his handles. My guess is Coach Few will always have either Perkins or McClellan on the court (and often both)....except for blowout wins.

strikenowhere
10-13-2015, 06:21 AM
Dranginis is experienced but not a primary ball handler. I agree McClellan and Perkins should be fine handling pressure D as they are both exceptional ballhandlers, but I'm thinking when one of them is on the bench is when Zags will be most vulnerable to a pressing team....until either Melson or Alberts show they have great handles and can make good decisions vs pressure D. Hoping KD has improved his handles. My guess is Coach Few will always have either Perkins or McClellan on the court (and often both)....except for blowout wins.

I thought the reporting has been that Alberts does have really good handles

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-13-2015, 06:28 AM
I thought the reporting has been that Alberts does have really good handles

I think you're right, but until he demonstrates it under the lights in a college game then the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

SteelZag
10-13-2015, 11:54 AM
I think you're right, but until he demonstrates it under the lights in a college game then the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking forward to seeing our guards under the lights as well. FWIW, watching all the recruiting video of Alberts, he does possess really tight handles. It could of been the competition, but I was impressed. Because of the overall athleticism of this crop of guards, daily practice will prepare them to play against the Nick Johnson's of the world. And while none of our guards may possess the same degree of athleticism as Johnson, just going against more athletic players on a daily basis will pay dividends. I think the Zags will be able to handle any type of backcourt pressure.

Even if some feel depth is an issue, just remember Duke only had eight scholarship players last season and kicked our butts. Very few teams have the luxury of having a player like Edwards to practice against PK. Or WilliamsIII going against Sabonis. The hardest player to prepare for would be someone like Wiltjer and luckily the players on that list is very short.

This team should easily be a top five offensive unit and I think they could also be a top ten defensive team. Our past tourney hiccups have usually been caused by poor outside shooting and the inability to get to the rim along with being unable to close out on hot outside shooting. Three point shooting may not be as great as some past squads but their strength of getting to the rim and having more athleticism on the perimeter seems to be more suited for tournament play anyway.

Go Zags! :cool:

titopoet
10-13-2015, 01:34 PM
40-0

Amen, amen, a-a-a-amen, a-a-a-amen
See the Karno... scoring at will ... then
passing to Wiltjer ...shooting three
Few raising arms with bonus
on ESPN.

jbslicer
10-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Zags lose to the U of Dub.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Zags lose to the U of Dub.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/laughter.gif

SteelZag
10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/laughter.gif

:roll:

zag67
10-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Semi of NCAA

Zagger
10-15-2015, 02:12 AM
With a healthy team all season and plenty passionate players like Dontmiss and MC2 keeping fellow Zags riled up .... any team that beats these Zags will have to play some VERY amazing basketball. To go 40-0 will take knock-the-wind-out of other team's sails excellent D. I can see that happening w/ these Zags including what appears to me to be a very hungry Mark Few too. With Arizona in K2 - I just cannot fathom when a loss might occur. Go Zags!

Zaga
10-15-2015, 01:17 PM
With a healthy team all season and plenty passionate players like Dontmiss and MC2 keeping fellow Zags riled up .... any team that beats these Zags will have to play some VERY amazing basketball. To go 40-0 will take knock-the-wind-out of other team's sails excellent D. I can see that happening w/ these Zags including what appears to me to be a very hungry Mark Few too. With Arizona in K2 - I just cannot fathom when a loss might occur. Go Zags!

As the faithful live and die over every game, this really could be the best year.

TexasZagFan
10-15-2015, 01:46 PM
As the faithful live and die over every game, this really could be the best year.

It damn well better be.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-arUcyiz1rWY/TrakCccE60I/AAAAAAAABCs/8NRJ_PAvzJI/s1600/angry_baby.jpg