PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Top 10 Glue Guys

hooter73
09-28-2015, 06:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25320365/glue-guys-to-watch-includes-kentuckys-alex-poythress

KYLE DRANGINIS

Gonzaga Bulldogs | Guard

Comment: Mark Few lost three veteran perimeter players following last season in Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, and Byron Wesley, but he's still got Dranginis and that's a good thing for Gonzaga fans. The 6-5 wing knows how to blend his talents within the team concept and is selfless on both sides of the ball. The Bulldogs will have an entirely different look in the back court next season and Dranginis' presence will be critical during that transition. This is the epitome of a program guy who's all about the most important thing in the sport -- winning.

Once and Future Zag
09-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Maybe it's anecdotal, but I don't think I've seen anyone at GU as adept at blocking 3P shots (without fouling) as KD has been...

seacatfan
09-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Interesting list. A couple of those guys (I'm looking at you Poythress and Jefferson) were highly touted, maybe even McD AA's, and were not recruited to be glue guys. While glue guys can be critical to a team's success, in some cases when that term gets thrown around it seems more like a backhanded compliment that they didn't live up to expectations.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Glad to see KD get some press and much deserved recognition for being the epitome of a team player. Hope he has a great and fun senior campaign.

Coach Crazy
09-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Interesting list. A couple of those guys (I'm looking at you Poythress and Jefferson) were highly touted, maybe even McD AA's, and were not recruited to be glue guys. While glue guys can be critical to a team's success, in some cases when that term gets thrown around it seems more like a backhanded compliment that they didn't live up to expectations.

I see it more as being relative. Which is why I don't think "glue guy" should get such an emotional response in the negative. It's a necessary thing to have, and the majority of players in the world could stand to have that approach. You'd actually see more guys be in the league for longer and make more money at the next level.

I hope to see Killian Tillie on this list, at some point.

Coach Crazy
09-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Glad to see KD get some press and much deserved recognition for being the epitome of a team player. Hope he has a great and fun senior campaign.

He's efficient. And if his efficiency maintains even a majority of that percentage with increased minutes, then we won't skip a beat at that position, and we may even see an increase in production.

bartruff1
09-29-2015, 11:57 AM

+1

The young man is class all the way.

NumberCruncher
09-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Maybe it's anecdotal, but I don't think I've seen anyone at GU as adept at blocking 3P shots (without fouling) as KD has been...

Kyle was 3rd on the team with 15 blocks last year.

Six of those blocks were 3-ptrs. That's a big number, possibly the best in the country. Don't know if anybody keeps that stat for everybody.