PDA

View Full Version : Gary Parrish Podcast: Wiltjer POY Candidate?

ZagNative
09-23-2015, 11:38 AM
I thought this was an interesting Podcast by Gary Parrish & co... (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25313640/podcast-best-players-heading-into-the-season-michigan-states-no-1-class)

jazzdelmar
09-23-2015, 12:10 PM
QED.

hooter73
09-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Havent listened yet but he could be in the top 5, unfortunately I think its got more to do with a down year in CBB and not how much more dominate or important he is.

zag buddy
09-23-2015, 02:47 PM
He is in the top 5 of nearly 4000 d1 players. Quite an achievement.

hooter73
09-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Oh quite right. Just saying in years past he might have only been in the top 20, which yes, is still amazing out of the 4000 + but 20 is farther from 1 than 5 is. Still amazing player we are lucky to have

SunDevilGolfZag
09-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Oh quite right. Just saying in years past he might have only been in the top 20, which yes, is still amazing out of the 4000 + but 20 is farther from 1 than 5 is. Still amazing player we are lucky to have

Not sure what years those would have been. Wiltjer is pretty darn good at what he does by any era's standards, at least from my observations since the 60s. Here's to just hoping for more of the same like last year

DixieZag
09-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Not sure what years those would have been. Wiltjer is pretty darn good at what he does by any era's standards, at least from my observations since the 60s. Here's to just hoping for more of the same like last year

I'm not sure we've had a better pure shooter. That's saying something. I can't recall Morrison's %'s, and when Kevin was locked in, he couldn't miss.

While the ball was in the air, I was absolutely convinced we had won the AZ game last year.

hooter73
09-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Morrison or Wiltjer... yikes. Call them both small forwards - not wings - and thats a hard one. Kyle does have the post game but Mo put it in your face every.single.shot.

jazzdelmar
09-24-2015, 12:53 AM
Ammo's motor has yet to be equaled.

bigblahla
09-24-2015, 07:42 AM

Jazz....Have to think the Bonus is right there if not more...has GU ever had a freshman with that kind of motor...Ammo was good but Domas, the hammer, was dominate...yeah different positions but we're talking motor as a freshman and for me it's Domas...with Ammo coming in 2nd....but just my opinion...by the way...i'm thinking Zags will be a nightmare come March...thinking final four this year as the back court jells and nobody wants to face our Zags...chatted with DD yesterday in the sauna at the Y...he concurred with my opinion about playing the Zags in March...had some other things to say about the program but that is for another day...

Go!! Zags!!!

strikenowhere
09-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Jazz....Have to think the Bonus is right there if not more...has GU ever had a freshman with that kind of motor...Ammo was good but Domas, the hammer, was dominate...yeah different positions but we're talking motor as a freshman and for me it's Domas...with Ammo coming in 2nd....but just my opinion...by the way...i'm thinking Zags will be a nightmare come March...thinking final four this year as the back court jells and nobody wants to face our Zags...chatted with DD yesterday in the sauna at the Y...he concurred with my opinion about playing the Zags in March...had some other things to say about the program but that is for another day...

Go!! Zags!!!

Don't leave us hanging! I need all the info I can get before until the season starts!

bigblahla
09-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Don't leave us hanging! I need all the info I can get before until the season starts!

Sent you a PM...don't want to derail the thread anymore than I have...

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagsGoZags
09-24-2015, 10:03 AM
to be fair, we could compare Domas with Ammo for their first years, and second year coming up. Ammo's first year was not even close to the impact of DS's first year. Its ok to compare ammo at his best in the three years, to Domas at his best last year. Also Ammo did not have to compete for time against two similar powerhouses like Karno and Wiltjer.

jazzdelmar
09-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Agree. I was comparing KW with GU players of the past. The Bonus is in his own category, Alex.

3zagda
09-24-2015, 06:10 PM
DS was great last year, he has great energy and brings a different dynamic to our team. Also, as a Blazer fan, I was a huge fan of his father, Arvadis. So I would not be surprised if Domas made it to the NBA.
Yet, I don't agree with the meme of his superior "motor". Does it mean he is aggressive, and wears his emotions on his sleeve, I will buy that. Is the implication he works/tries harder then our other players? That ludicrous, prove it to me. I just don't like the implication of he "has a great motor". And last season, did he take or make any shots beyond 6 feet( I understand the coaches influence on that)? DS has potential, but he will need to dominate against high level competition for our team to reach the next level in the future.

bigblahla
09-24-2015, 08:38 PM
DS was great last year, he has great energy and brings a different dynamic to our team. Also, as a Blazer fan, I was a huge fan of his father, Arvadis. So I would not be surprised if Domas made it to the NBA.
Yet, I don't agree with the meme of his superior "motor". Does it mean he is aggressive, and wears his emotions on his sleeve, I will buy that. Is the implication he works/tries harder then our other players? That ludicrous, prove it to me. I just don't like the implication of he "has a great motor". And last season, did he take or make any shots beyond 6 feet( I understand the coaches influence on that)? DS has potential, but he will need to dominate against high level competition for our team to reach the next level in the future.

Motor...operating at a energetic speed and maintaining it..relentless....one of the keys to winning is having your TEAM function efficiently at a faster pace than your opponent and sustain it....motor has little to do with shots....Mike Hart had a great motor...you have a right to your opinion but mine is not implied...it's fact...Domas has a great motor.....that is if you understand the term "Motor".

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
09-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Motor...operating at a energetic speed and maintaining it..relentless....one of the keys to winning is having your TEAM function efficiently at a faster pace than your opponent and sustain it....motor has little to do with shots....Mike Hart had a great motor...you have a right to your opinion but mine is not implied...it's fact...Domas has a great motor.....that is if you understand the term "Motor".

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!

I think you hit it on the head, at least my understanding of the term. When I think "motor" - I think of something like the third or fourth tip up off a rebound as 3 guys try to tip it to himself/herself - some guys are going as hard or harder after the first two, and you can see others just sort of look like they not only tire, but realize that the other guy wants it more than him/her. That is where I see Sabonis excel, and it seems to me that rebounding and defense are where one most often hear references to "motor."

77Zag
09-25-2015, 09:51 AM

+1