PDA

View Full Version : Pangos v. Haws - ACB style

Mojo13
09-21-2015, 09:26 AM
An ACB preseason game last week between Gran Canaria and Obradoiro CAB (aka Río Natura Monbús) featured Kevin going up against an old rival in Tyler Haws.

Don't worry - KP came out on top once again. Some good photos in the link.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.apiedecancha.es/2015/09/14/acb-herbalife-gran-canaria-campeon-del-i-torneo-encesta-rias/&prev=search

Kevin has stepped right in as the starting PG for Gran Canaria and has played pretty well through the first three preseason games. He may be leading them in scoring.

MDABE80
09-21-2015, 11:31 AM
I thought, with his size, Haws would make it to the League. Kevin will do well in that system. Especially if his superior 3 pt shooting returns.

Bogozags
09-21-2015, 12:01 PM
I thought, with his size, Haws would make it to the League. Kevin will do well in that system. Especially if his superior 3 pt shooting returns.

I am with you...thought he was a great fit for the League...at 6'5'' and played pretty decent defence...I hope eventually that they both make it...

You know that Summer League is a crap shoot depending on who is on your team...so many egos out there and they all want to strut their stuff...with a little seasoning he might be picked up next year...

TheGonzagaFactor
09-21-2015, 01:35 PM

I think he is an awesome player but I never thought for a second he was an NBA guy. Seriously no defensive skill or effort (not all his fault). He was a volume shooter that got most of his good looks off the dribble. If you need to resort to that type of shot often in the WCC, the odds of you being able to get a shot up against NBA guys would be pretty low.

He was a great college player if you just looked at his PPG. The guy has huge holes in his game and had a knack for disappearing when the going got tough later in the game. I was at the game in Provo in February, I assumed Haws was injured because I didn't see him with or around the ball late in the game when his team needed him. I kept saying: "get the ball to Haws, where the heck is Haws?" Watched the recording when I got home, he was in the whole time. It's not like we had any NBA level perimeter defenders...

So my verdict on Haws is that he's very talented, but overrated. I also think him holding the WCC scoring record is ridiculous but once again that's not his fault.

seacatfan
09-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Maybe Haws is a little like JJ Redick? High scorer, volume shooter in college. Severely lacking in many other aspects of the game. JJ of course was more of a 3 point threat than Haws and higher profile, and somehow was a lottery pick. He struggled mightily for a number of years before finding his niche in the NBA and developing into a decent player. I think he had to totally transform himself and he's not at all the same player he was in college.

I think 2G and SF are the hardest positions for players to find a roster spot in the NBA. Athletic guys that are somewhere in the 6-4 to 6-8 range are totally a dime-a-dozen. I've seen a whole bunch of really good college wing players that just couldn't find a home in the NBA. Gonzaga has had several of those over the years.

webspinnre
09-21-2015, 06:09 PM
JJ has worked his tail off to become the NBA player he did.

Bogozags
09-21-2015, 06:44 PM
I disagree that Haws doesn't have the skills to play in the NBA. As Webs stated above, JJ worked his arse off and is a starter. Haws had the same skill set maybe not as great a 3pt shooter but if he works hard and wants it, then its possible. Many on this board gave little of no chance of Delly sticking with a club, let alone have a major impact on a team.

Hard work and determination with a little luck goes a long, long way...

OZZY
09-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the link Mojo.

Kevin will have a stiffer task this weekend playing in a tournament with both Madrid and Barcelona...

When he signed with CB Gran Canarias I was happy as former Canadian NT member (and musician) Levon Kendall was there.

I did not see him on the roster for awhile, but he now has been confirmed for this year as well.

I'm sure he and KP have a few mutual acquaintances and should play well together (both unselfish and relentless).