PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise in 2015?

ZagaZags
09-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Which player will be the biggest surprise in the 2015-2016 season?

http://www.drodd.com/images8/funny-gif/funny-gif17.gif

OZZY
09-15-2015, 11:55 PM
Alberts is my pick, I just have a feeling that this kid is going to bust out and surprise a lot of people.

I mean he hasn't played a meaningful game in such a long time, I am sure he wants to get out there and show what he can do.

The reports are that he is fully healed (playing well in scrimmages) is very athletic and has been able to spend a year learning the system. See him backing up Kyle at the 3.

Worthington
09-16-2015, 12:13 AM
Eric McClellan.

A lot of people on here don't even have McClellan starting, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will be the leading scorer among our back court. He's got the most experience among the guards, is an excellent on the ball defender and I think will be able to better showcase his offensive game with more freedom this year. I think there will be games when he will look like the best player on the floor.

Bogozags
09-16-2015, 02:43 AM
I'm hoping Alberts, McClellan and Edwards have a great year; however, I believe Perkins will be the break out player this year. His play will be so smooth that it will appear as though he is a junior...nothing will phase him. He'll average double digit points with at least 6 assists per game.

Baring injuries, this is going to be the BEST season ever...

bartruff1
09-16-2015, 03:44 AM
McClellan

titopoet
09-16-2015, 04:09 AM
Josh... a top 100 pass first PG being handed the keys to a machine that has such a powerful frontcourt. Do't be surprise if the pundits are talking about the emerging AA in Perkins and how is among the leaders in assists and a top PG in the country.

If fact our entire backcourt is very underrated. With experience, depth, skill and depth, they are in of the top 15 in the country.

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Going out on a limb here, I'm going with Dranginis. I think he has a breakout Sr. year a bit like Dower did. Won't score as much as Sam, but he'll be among the statistical leaders in just about every other category, do a bit of everything for the Zags, be a team leader, play great defense. With apologies to a poster above, I'd have to say KD is the most experienced guard on the roster, not McClellan. EM missed significant portions of 2 seasons with his mid season transfer and no red shirt year in between (as a side not, I absolutely cannot figure out why anyone transfers mid season, you lose a whole season of eligibility).

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 10:57 AM
After watching him work with his new body and with his hops, I'm thinking Karno will be quite surprising when we see him..
ALberts will be among the top 3 shooters. I have no doubt. His hops are amazing.
Eric will come into his own and a scorer, defender and passer ( he showed glimpses last year).
I'd be surprised if Drangisnis doesn't take that huge step for his last year. he played in a tough HS league in HS and put up 26 ppg. He hasn't shown us what he can really do even though his defense is very strong.

Fonebone
09-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Could you clarify the question ? For example, if Josh has an amazing year, I'm not sure that would be the biggest surprise. To me, "biggest surprise" means that the success kind of came out of nowhere. Perhaps that is what you mean, perhaps not. If Josh has an amazing year, I would say that is unexpected, but not really the "biggest surprise. I expect him to have a really good year, but not an amazing year. I'm just using him as an example. I could say the same about many of our players.

cggonzaga
09-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Melson. Yes, it's mostly based off of potential but this guy has more potential than about anybody I can remember at GU. At worst he could be a lock down defender. At best he locks down on defense and leads the guards in scoring on offense. Ryan Edwards is my 2nd pick. People are going to be pleasantly surprised by his game.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-16-2015, 01:37 PM
I've had the good fortune to catch Alberts playing ball in person 7 or 8 times and I can say without a doubt, that boy is going to be a player. There just isn't anything he struggles at. He can take it to the rack, great shooter, great handle, sneaky good athlete. Love the kid and I'm glad he's getting the love here, you guys won't be disappointed.

I voted for Silas though, cause he's that dude.

hooter73
09-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Q: Biggest surprise in 2015?

A: Wiltjer plays defense

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_peep.gif

gonzagafan62
09-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Hopefully Melson. I wanna see him be a breakout star

cjm720
09-16-2015, 02:22 PM
My standards and expectations are very high for the obvious players. So, I chose Ryan Edwards. Best 4th big option in the country?!

NumberCruncher
09-16-2015, 02:36 PM
I took the question as referring to the wider basketball world, not just us here on the boards.

My pick is Kyle Dranginis.

He has improved significantly each year, even though his minutes were somewhat reduced last season to make way for Wesley. Remember when he was a frosh and lit up LC State for 30? I think he's ready to dominate in the WCC and hold his own against top OOC competition. Did you know he is the best career 2Pt percentage shooter of any Zag under 6-10 in the Few era? That includes Morrison, Downs, Bouldin, Gray, Harris, etc.

All WCC this year.

Zagger
09-16-2015, 02:47 PM
I voted Edwards. But, really any Zag could be a surprise - even Sabonis or Mt. K. I think the makeup of this team might just lend itself to players being allowed to move outside the areas of play we've seen them in so far. So, it could be someone other than a player we've not gotten to see much of yet.

zagamatic
09-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I went with Edwards. I have a feeling that he's going to be forced into more action than most people expect (I'm not going to say that word). It probably won't be for more than 2 weeks of extended playing time, but I have a feeling that even the talking heads will be boasting about our 4 bigs come tournament time because of how much of a factor he proves to be while asked to step up.

DixieZag
09-16-2015, 04:34 PM
As tempting as it is to do the Draiginis, Melson, Alberts type of thinking....

Perkins.

I think he's better than even we realize right now. In any other year than last year, he would have started and it sure looked like he could have excelled while at it - shooting better than we could have hoped. Now he's had a year to watch Pangos/Bell, I think he's even more skilled than we know (from what I saw of him in HS), I believe he/Collins are the highest recruits we've ever had, he's got all that attention on the bigs and he's now had half a year focusing on getting his strength back - he'll be bigger and stronger-

I know the expectations are already high. I think he's going to blow them out of the water.

3XaZag
09-16-2015, 05:14 PM
The biggest surprise is.......

.....There won't be a biggest surprise- at least not for us here on the board.

Expectations here recently have been sky high...for everyone. And not without cause. I am going with the poet's comment above. While the nation focuses on the frontcourt, we all sense the backcourt is a tensed cat (a tensed bulldog?) just ready to explode in productivity. So much talent, so much competition, pushing everyone to excel. There is no one in the top 9 who hasn't already made us drool with their proven skills, past performance, and great potential. The law of averages says that 1 or 2 of the top 9 could misfire due to unseen difficulties (e.g. injuries/personal/ family issues etc.) - but forgetting for a moment those unseen obstacles, the biggest surprise will be who, if any, of those with known talent, under-preforms. Can't we just jump forward 30 days?

I voted for Edwards...but I say great performances, across the board, will be no surprise. We can only be thankful.

SunDevilGolfZag
09-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Alberts

willandi
09-16-2015, 06:17 PM
My standards and expectations are very high for the obvious players. So, I chose Ryan Edwards. Best 4th big option in the country?!

+1 My thinking as well.

IowaSERE
09-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Hopefull the other is Coach Few. He finally decides to put his best players on the floor at the same time and starts the big 3.

Baseline
09-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Sabonis has lost weight to play the 3, he will no longer play center when Shem goes out. Edwards will back Shem and when Kyle sits Sabonis will move to the 4. For this reason Edwards will see good floor time and will surprise.

bigblahla
09-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Alberts if he gets the PT....Edwards will be no surprise to me as I expect him to be much better....gonna be a heck of a ride again....this feels like a final four year...by March no one will want to play this TEAM.

Go!! Zags!!!

mgadfly
09-17-2015, 08:49 AM
I believe Perkins will ... break

Don't use "Perkins" and "break" in the same sentence!

:o)

raise the zag
09-17-2015, 10:51 AM
While no 'surprise' per se, Nunez JUST replied to my tweet essentially asking the same question; Angel said "Perk" is one of the best players he's ever played with & is the real deal.

Quite the compliment from a guy who has played for 2 Top-15 programs, grew up in East, & is now playing for a Big East school.

zagfan24
09-17-2015, 01:04 PM
I think Ryan Edwards is going to be a big surprise. His minutes will undoubtedly be limited but I don't think the drop off will be that steep.

If I could pick who I wish it would be, it'd be Kyle Dranginis. He's been under the shadow of Pangos and Bell for 4 years. I think he could really explode this year as the senior leader and a glue guy.

3zagda
09-18-2015, 06:28 PM
I voted Alberts, because I look forward to him doing well. I considered voting for Ryan. I think he could be really great, and a big surprise. But he will have trouble getting minutes. We know we have the best front court in the nation, with 3 players among the top 3 front court players in the country. That is why I did not vote for any of them.
Maybe I should have voted for Josh. Seeing people voting for Josh as a SURPRISE, surprised me. After the start of last season, to me it seemed obvious Josh will be a major star. IMHO, Josh will be on the list as one of, if not the best point guard GU has ever had. That is elite company.

maynard g krebs
09-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Maybe I should have voted for Josh. Seeing people voting for Josh as a SURPRISE, surprised me. After the start of last season, to me it seemed obvious Josh will be a major star. IMHO, Josh will be on the list as one of, if not the best point guard GU has ever had. That is elite company.

I voted for him because he seems to be forgotten by the media, i.e. not really hyped in the magazines, and underestimated by a segment of Zag fans. Someone else said it in another thread, I think, but the surprise is that he's considered a top 10 pg nationally by the end of the season.

DixieZag
09-18-2015, 09:25 PM
I voted for him because he seems to be forgotten by the media, i.e. not really hyped in the magazines, and underestimated by a segment of Zag fans. Someone else said it in another thread, I think, but the surprise is that he's considered a top 10 pg nationally by the end of the season.

100% agree. Said it earlier. I think that as high as our expectations are (very high), they don't rise to "Sabonis level" expectations, and yet I think there's an excellent chance that he will actually end up right there - as the type of rare player that can get us to the FF, and as a PG, the position that can make or break a team in March.

Just have a feeling that Perk worked a whole lot of "game" into himself all last year, and having had a chance to watch Kevin/Gary approach to them game allows him to step right in and maybe go much further.

MickMick
09-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Kyle Dranginis.

Takes his game to the next level and wows all of us.

cggonzaga
09-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Doesn't generally happen with seniors let alone 5th seniors but I hope it happens.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Kyle Dranginis.

Takes his game to the next level and wows all of us.

I wouldn't say KD needs a 'next level' to his game with exception of improved ball handling. I look forward to seeing KD being a leader for this team and being a more aggressive scorer. Skills are already there, now his tenacious D and impressive rebounding can be complemented by the team needing him to score more than in past seasons.

GoZags
09-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Doesn't generally happen with seniors let alone 5th seniors but I hope it happens.

It seems to me that Sam Dower was able to "take his game to the next level" as a 5th year Senior .... as did David Stockton.

cggonzaga
09-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Dower and Stockton were the same players as juniors. They just got more minutes their senior seasons. Again, I said generally and yes it would be a surprise.

ZagsGoZags
09-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Dower and Stockton were the same players as juniors. They just got more minutes their senior seasons. Again, I said generally and yes it would be a surprise.

I agree somewhat that Sam improved his last year, but I would not exactly call it a jump, mostly more playing time.
David Stockton, on the other hand, I disagree. He made a big jump his last year I think, which is what caused scouts to look at him then, when I don't think there was much activity there at the end of his Junior season.

seacatfan
09-19-2015, 09:50 PM

Sam Dower
David Stockton

There's 2 examples of 5th year Sr. at GU that were way, way better their last year than they had been during the entirety of the rest of their career. Just sayin'.

Oops, I'm way late to the party, my bad. With Dower it was mostly about increased minutes, but he found a level of consistency he'd never managed previously. Stockton was clearly much better as a Sr. than he was previously.

GoZags
09-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Sam Dower
David Stockton

There's 2 examples of 5th year Sr. at GU that were way, way better their last year than they had been during the entirety of the rest of their career. Just sayin'.

Oops, I'm way late to the party, my bad. With Dower it was mostly about increased minutes, but he found a level of consistency he'd never managed previously. Stockton was clearly much better as a Sr. than he was previously.

Dower's minutes increased 60% and his scoring increased 110% (Junior to Senior year). David's improvement his Senior year was flat out off the charts. My guess is Dranginis has a shot at being the 3rd straight 5th year senior to dramatically improve his Senior year.

cggonzaga
09-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Dower 's points per minute went from .45 to .50. Hardly a big jump but his rebounding improved quite a bit. Sam was always behind better players but I wouldn't say he was significantly better his senior year. He was always steady. Not sure where people are getting where Stockton was off the charts better his senior year. While playing 11 mpg more he only averaged a little over 3 ppg more and less than an assist more per game. He shot 43% from the field and only 22% from the 3 pt line. If that's significant to you then great. Could also name a few zags that didn't exactly light it up their senior years but I'll refrain.

DixieZag
09-20-2015, 05:09 AM
Dower's minutes increased 60% and his scoring increased 110% (Junior to Senior year). David's improvement his Senior year was flat out off the charts. My guess is Dranginis has a shot at being the 3rd straight 5th year senior to dramatically improve his Senior year.

It goes well beyond the numbers, too. KD really came on in the last half of the season last year. I think it was around the beginning of January that people started using the term "stat sheet stuffer/filler" and at the exact same point, it came during a period when he had a dramatic increase in confidence. I was lucky enough to have gone to a couple of the games in the Mac and one would swear he even walked differently. like he saw that he was dramatically effecting the game.

GlacierZag
09-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Ryan Edwards will have 3 double doubles over the course of the season and will be the difference maker in a key game in March.

seacatfan
09-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Dower 's points per minute went from .45 to .50. Hardly a big jump but his rebounding improved quite a bit. Sam was always behind better players but I wouldn't say he was significantly better his senior year. He was always steady. Not sure where people are getting where Stockton was off the charts better his senior year. While playing 11 mpg more he only averaged a little over 3 ppg more and less than an assist more per game. He shot 43% from the field and only 22% from the 3 pt line. If that's significant to you then great. Could also name a few zags that didn't exactly light it up their senior years but I'll refrain.

Sam was always steady? Really? I couldn't disagree more. Totally inconsistent until his last year, when he was a rock for the Zags.

As for Stockton's improvement, it goes beyond stats. He was much, much better at finishing in traffic. He was never a good 3 point shooter, but at the end of his career he was enough of a threat to score that he punished some teams that overlooked him. Earlier you could completely ignore him on offense and it didn't matter (like Hart).

Zagdawg
09-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Stockton had better scoring stats as a freshman than he did as a senior ---but he did more of what was necessary to make the team better as a senior.

Freshman numbers FG% 46% 2pt 63% 3pt 33% FT 84% --assists 2.1
Senior numbers FG% 43% 2pt 53% 3pt 23% FT 76%--assists 4.2

Zagcity
09-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Ryan Edwards will have 3 double doubles over the course of the season and will be the difference maker in a key game in March.

Very bold, but I like the confidence. I hope you are right. I believe that would motivate all the bigs. :cheers:

hooter73
09-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Stocktons scoring to me will always bring images of Rainbow threes from his freshman year. I loved those, you could literally watch him release the ball, get up, make a sandwich , come back and it would finally just be coming back down from orbit :)

I was going to refrain, but my answer to the biggest surprise is probably going to be seen as a negative with Wiltjer actually averaging less points per game.

ZagaZags
10-09-2015, 01:07 AM
I think most fans believe Bryan Alberts will shine in 2015-2016. He was my pick for biggest surprise.

Reborn
10-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Last year it was Byron. This year it'll be Bryon....Alberts!!

Go Zags!!!

ZagaZags
11-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Last chance to cast your vote. We can revisit the answers here at the end of the season.