PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trouble in Paradise???

LongIslandZagFan
09-15-2015, 10:55 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25303032/san-diego-state-under-investigation-by-ncaa-for-potential-violations

At the very least it could explain how he was able to pull in the recruits over and over again.

I'll move this later... but since we've losst recruiting battles in the past... thought it was pertinent to start it here.

ezcure17
09-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Once a C*****r, always a C*****r!!!

hooter73
09-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Doesnt explain how they have like 7 power forwards all trying to come in and play at the same time lol

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25303032/san-diego-state-under-investigation-by-ncaa-for-potential-violations

At the very least it could explain how he was able to pull in the recruits over and over again.

I'll move this later... but since we've losst recruiting battles in the past... thought it was pertinent to start it here.

JUSTICE!!!!!! I have been hinting at this for months. My fellow San Diego based Zags have been asleep at the switch. Rumors have been flying around a very long time. Fish is no saint and neither are some of the assistants he has had. We shall see. It certainly explains how a day hop university with Reagan era architecture and a boring style of play can consistently steal kids from the best CB program west of Tucson. Of course it says something about the kids too. Watch this space.

btzag
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Shocking.

sittingon50
09-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Guess I've been under a rock r.e. Coach Fischer.

Jazz, what's the scoop?

Edit: slow on the keyboard, too.

Zagdawg
09-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally fired from Michigan for some issues.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1817&dat=19971012&id=6T0dAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XKYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6716,2144373&hl=en

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/04/03/9-dirty-college-basketball-coaches/#4

"What? A second-year head coach somehow recruits what would become the most famous starting lineup in the history of basketball? How did he do that without a reputation and tradition of success?

Oh, right. Money.

It turns out that Chris Webber and the rest of Michigan’s famous “Fab Five” got a lot of “support” from a Michigan booster named Ed Martin. And by “support” I mean money. Webber got at least $280,000, and three other players got a total of $336,000—that we know of.

But Fisher obviously didn’t know aaaaanything about that. He just gave basketball tickets to Mr. Martin out of the kindness of his heart.

The Michigan scandal and his subsequent dismissal didn’t end his career, though. He was an assistant for the Sacramento Kings for a little while before moving on to San Diego State and turning that program around."

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Jazz, what's the scoop?

Sure, now you respond? :)

Been dropping hints for months. Just keep watching. All rumor but if the coach cheats like a duck, yadda yadd

Mantua
09-15-2015, 11:17 AM

Jazz, what's the scoop?

Yes, what is the scoop? What benefits have been offered, allegedly?

When it comes to NCAA violations aren't we all under a rock all of the time?

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 11:59 AM
San Diego radio station 1090 will have author Gary Parrish on at 1:35 PM. Available on various radio apps, such as Tunein and it has its own app, The Mighty (sic) 1090. Taking it serious down here.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 12:05 PM
If ya ain't cheatin, ya ain't tryin

I just can't get worked up when a terrible, corrupt organization such as the NCAA tries to come down on a school for "impermissible benefits." They're all about protecting the money machine and nothing more, they could care less about "amateurism."

RenoZag
09-15-2015, 12:06 PM
"Reagan-era architecture". . .from Bauhaus to Mickey Mouse ?

ZagaZags
09-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Here is the link for the upcoming interview with Gary Parrish.

http://player.listenlive.co/27031

gonstu
09-15-2015, 12:21 PM
JUSTICE!!!!!! I have been hinting at this for months. My fellow San Diego based Zags have been asleep at the switch. Rumors have been flying around a very long time. Fish is no saint and neither are some of the assistants he has had. We shall see. It certainly explains how a day hop university with Reagan era architecture and a boring style of play can consistently steal kids from the best CB program west of Tucson. Of course it says something about the kids too. Watch this space.

Not asleep jazz - this is just the biggest NON-surprise of a story in a long time. Innocent til proven guilty but something has just seemed fishy up on the Mesa the past few years. Will try to catch Darren Smith with Parish in a few minutes.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Not asleep jazz - this is just the biggest NON-surprise of a story in a long time. Innocent til proven guilty but something has just seemed fishy up on the Mesa the past few years. Will try to catch Darren Smith with Parish in a few minutes.

Price is to have to listen to Darren repeat himself 3 or 4 times. Dreadful stuff. He just had an interview on the Chargers imminent departure. No facts, just tongue clucking. Padres, Chargers, SDSU football stinks, now this. And rain today. Sigh.

sittingon50
09-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Sure, now you respond? :)

Been dropping hints for months. Just keep watching. All rumor but if the coach cheats like a duck, yadda yadd

Surely by now you must know how incredibly slow I an on the uptake!

Who know's, maybe GU become's even more of a Transfer U now.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Surely by now you must know how incredibly slow I an on the uptake!

Who know's, maybe GU become's even more of a Transfer U now.

Aww, just kiddin, Fitty. But what annoys me is that not one poster PMd me after my hints. Even locals. My next dream headline is Crookapari revealed yet again, or Lance in handcuffs.

ezcure17
09-15-2015, 12:33 PM
If this turns out to be true.... we should NOT accept ANY SD State transfers if there are any....definitely NOT Zag material to me!!

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Gotta help a little with Leaf, though Zags chances are about 10% either way.

TheZagPhish
09-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Any good guys in the program that can step into the coaching position?

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Parrish says it is very early but very real. Could take years. NCAA is looking at a very specific event and were tipped off by a rival program. Nother words, a snitch is always behind these things. And success breeds contempt. Though NCAA not obliged to follow up all leads. Like they never pursued Lance Thomas of Duke and his $85,000 watch. His sources believe there is an infraction at SDSU just a matter of proving it. Been looking at Fish and asking questions for "quite a while." School disclaims knowledge but that's not unusual. Impact on recruiting uncertain. There's a lot more dirt than he has in his story today. Two totally different sources. Radio host begging him to say it ain't so. Pathetic. Says again, they are looking for something impermissible to a prospect or prospects. Just a matter of proving such. Staff not booster under the glass. An assistant coach. Fisher may be off the hook, gotta love that deniability. Parrish knows the name of the assistant coach but will not disclose. That's all, folks. Smoke plume rising above Montezuma Mesa; the search for fire goes on.

seacatfan
09-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Like they never pursued Lance Thomas of Duke and his $85,000 watch.

I thought the NCAA investigated, they just didn't "find" anything. Duke is teflon. It's a proven fact Corey Maggette was paid before he stepped foot on Duke's campus and played for them for a year, yet absolutely nothing happened. One more reason to despise Duke.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 02:05 PM
I thought the NCAA investigated, they just didn't "find" anything. Duke is teflon. It's a proven fact Corey Maggette was paid before he stepped foot on Duke's campus and played for them for a year, yet absolutely nothing happened. One more reason to despise Duke.

And Parrish strongly implied that in the interview. It's good to be KKKKing.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 02:29 PM
If this turns out to be true.... we should NOT accept ANY SD State transfers if there are any....definitely NOT Zag material to me!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3i7zenReaUuI0/giphy.gif

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Now you've done it, Cure. You've waked him up.

LongIslandZagFan
09-15-2015, 03:47 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3i7zenReaUuI0/giphy.gif

If someone is taking money to play college hoops... he isn't Zag material... hell they wouldn't be UW material , or just about any legit program material. Pick and choose your Zag Material battles, but as the post says, if true, you are losing that battle.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Agree LIZF. And I might add, what a pleasure to be a fan of a great great program that does things the right way. Sad to say, such programs are an increasingly smaller number every year.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Followup in this PM's local fish wrap:

The NCAA is examining allegations of potential rules violations by the San Diego State men’s basketball program that have not yet elevated to a formal investigation, according to several sources and media reports.

The story was first reported Tuesday morning by CBS Sports, which cited unidentified sources saying the investigation centers on potential NCAA infractions "committed by the staff” that could include “possible improper benefits to prospects.” The story did not elaborate, but Gary Parrish, its author, later told 1090-AM radio that the NCAA is focusing on an assistant coach currently on staff for providing impermissible benefits to a recruit.

All of it was news to SDSU officials, who insisted they were unaware of any investigation and had received no prior notification from the NCAA. A few hours later, the school issued this statement:

“Earlier today, San Diego State reached out to representatives of the NCAA’s enforcement staff following a media report regarding allegations involving the school’s men’s basketball program. Members of the NCAA staff confirmed for the university that they have not commenced a formal investigation.

“Prior to the media report today, the NCAA had not contacted any member of the university regarding an investigation into the program.

“San Diego State takes all potential NCAA issues seriously and will cooperate fully with the NCAA.”

The NCAA sends an official letter of inquiry to a university president if or when its initial research warrants a formal investigation, but the preliminary probes – sometimes started by tips from associates of rival schools – usually don't become public knowledge. The NCAA has a policy refusing comment on “current, pending or potential investigations” and prohibits its members from doing the same, which can put schools in an untenable spot if word leaks out prematurely.

That the NCAA allowed SDSU to make a statement denying a formal investigation is a largely unprecedented move and in some circles will be viewed as a sympathetic gesture as well as an admission of a breach in secrecy.

This is the heat of the basketball recruiting season, when prospects typically take their official visits to schools and host coaching staffs on in-home visits. High school seniors can’t sign a binding national letter of intent until November, but many make oral commitments in and around their visits. A week ago the Aztecs received a commitment from Jalen McDaniels, a 6-foot-9 forward from the Seattle area. They are also finalists for several other high-profile prospects, including Michael “MJ” Cage Jr. and Foothills Christian High’s T.J. Leaf.

Schools can face stiff sanctions for NCAA violations, such as the loss of scholarships or banishment from the postseason. There’s also the potential for collateral damage in recruiting even if a preliminary probe that becomes public knowledge does not lead to a formal investigation, charges or penalties.

Dwayne Polee II, who concluded his SDSU career last season, responded to a Twitter post about the alleged investigation by tweeting: “They hate to see the underdog win.”

The NCAA rule book is detailed and at times convoluted, and the potential infractions could be minor in nature resulting in something as innocuous as a public reprimand. Or they could be more serious, encouraging a deeper probe that takes years and brings crippling sanctions.

The violations considered most heinous are labeled as Level 1 because, according to the NCAA rule book, they are “intended to provide a substantial or extensive recruiting, competitive or other advantage, or a substantial or extensive impermissible benefit.”

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 05:30 PM
If someone is taking money to play college hoops... he isn't Zag material... hell they wouldn't be UW material , or just about any legit program material. Pick and choose your Zag Material battles, but as the post says, if true, you are losing that battle.

"Zag material" doesn't mean anything, it's just a way for our fanbase to act morally superior to every other school. If Nolan Narain or Malik Pope or Trey Kell flipped to GU tomorrow they would be welcomed with open arms just like Kyle Wiljter with Kentucky.

MDABE80
09-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Knowing what I know, I don't think this Parrish article would be published unless there was something serious around the corner.
No Ultra, It means a lot. Nothing to do with "morally superior". SOrry bud, It's about the kids who go the distance, getfloor burns and keep going at it. Tough kids who play the game right, love their teammates and never give up.

We take those kids you list. As far as I know, they go hard and were recruited here because of their talents and character.

doctorzag
09-15-2015, 06:31 PM
"Zag material" doesn't mean anything, it's just a way for our fanbase to act morally superior to every other school. If Nolan Narain or Malik Pope or Trey Kell flipped to GU tomorrow they would be welcomed with open arms just like Kyle Wiljter with Kentucky.

I`m not sure how long you have been following the Zags but this program does things right from the top down . We have great leadership,great kids who graduate and we win a ton. We are the envy of most every program in this country who want to duplicate us. Our fans have the right to feel like we have a model program that does things the right way. Talent is not enough to fit into our culture . We want high character kids who play team ball. They need to be Zag material!!

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Knowing what I know, I don't think this Parrish article would be published unless there was something serious around the corner.
No Ultra, It means a lot. Nothing to do with "morally superior". SOrry bud, It's about the kids who go the distance, getfloor burns and keep going at it. Tough kids who play the game right, love their teammates and never give up.

We take those kids you list. As far as I know, they go hard and were recruited here because of their talents and character.

Your not worried about potentially taking on kids who may have committed NCAA violations? That doesn't sound like Zag material to me

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 06:49 PM
I`m not sure how long you have been following the Zags but this program does things right from the top down . We have great leadership,great kids who graduate and we win a ton. We are the envy of most every program in this country who want to duplicate us. Our fans have the right to feel like we have a model program that does things the right way. Talent is not enough to fit into our culture . We want high character kids who play team ball. They need to be Zag material!!

Let me be clear, I'm attacking the fans not the program. Luckily GU doesn't operate with the kind of smugness our fans do in regards to what zag material is. If they did I would kill my (admittedly small) donations on the spot.

Zagceo
09-15-2015, 06:55 PM

IMO current players have a big part in screening new recruits for "zag material" like joining a frat or becoming a Knight at some point teammates are asked if a new recruit fits in their opinion.

Every team has an identity which contributes to that teams material. Good and bad.

Fanbase is reflecting not projecting IMO.

Chicken Ball
09-15-2015, 07:08 PM

Sure. But that's because the your much-maligned fan base has faith in the coaching staff that they've properly vetted those guys. It's entirely possible that not every SA from SDSU is involved in this.

And sure, it's possible that every once in a while they let in a guy who shouldn't be here. But their track record's pretty good.

webspinnre
09-15-2015, 07:25 PM
There are plenty of kids who go elsewhere who are certainly "Zag material". However, I'm sure there are also cases of the staff or team passing on guys that we don't know about, and just wonder why they never ended up here?

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Sure. But that's because the your much-maligned fan base has faith in the coaching staff that they've properly vetted those guys. It's entirely possible that not every SA from SDSU is involved in this.

And sure, it's possible that every once in a while they let in a guy who shouldn't be here. But their track record's pretty good.

Fair point. If you believe that's the case though then you can't blame the impermissible benefits as the reason for losing recruits to SDSU. If we're continuously plucking out the good ones who don't partake in that activity, you can't blame the activity for losing.

thespywhozaggedme
09-15-2015, 08:22 PM
"Reagan-era architecture". . .from Bauhaus to Mickey Mouse ?

I never noticed your sig before, is it new? Freedom from religion is found nowhere in the Constitution. It's as esoteric as freedom from condescending elitists. Interesting conversation starter, nonetheless.

Chicken Ball
09-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Fair point. If you believe that's the case though then you can't blame the impermissible benefits as the reason for losing recruits to SDSU. If we're continuously plucking out the good ones who don't partake in that activity, you can't blame the activity for losing.

Well, not maybe in every case. But in the case of recruits who actually do receive improper benefits, it's still legitimate to wonder whether those benefits are the reason we lost out. And let's not be naive about the corrupting influence of that offer. It could well be that a kid could go either way. And it's the offer itself that gives him the opportunity to choose badly.

But yeah, in general, I'd say that if a kid decides to take improper benefits over the Zags' above-board offer, then I wouldn't want him.

MDABE80
09-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Your not worried about potentially taking on kids who may have committed NCAA violations? That doesn't sound like Zag material to me

No Im not. Why are YOU?/ And its not the Zag fans who worry either. We know our staff. They wouldn't either. Next?

basketballzag
09-16-2015, 07:29 AM
Nice call Jazz as you called this last year. It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out for SDSU. If I were a recruit I would be looking for my exit strategy now (same with current players). Sad situation that someone (or several someones) put some of the innocent kids in here.

RenoZag
09-16-2015, 07:57 AM
I never noticed your sig before, is it new? Freedom from religion is found nowhere in the Constitution. It's as esoteric as freedom from condescending elitists. Interesting conversation starter, nonetheless.

That sig line has been in place about four or five weeks, spy. I change it from time to time.

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Kids gett trapped and lose a year or two even though the NCAA has let kids transfer from problem programs without a penalty . Still though, having to escape to another team can't be comfortable when a kid doesn't know them. I suppose the frosh would be fine to move on to their 2nd choice but the upper classmen might find it a lot tougher. We certainly haven't had luck competing with SDS... A major league wing is needed.

jazzdelmar
09-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Mark Ziegler, the fishwrap CBB beat writer, was on San.Diego radio today and made the point several times that SDSU has beaten GU about "six times in a row" to top recruits and one could infer from his comments that among many possible culprits GU could have been involved in turning the NCAAs attention to Fish. He allowed that people have been talking about how SDSU has been able to build such a program. He drew a comparison, again with GU, saying Fish targets players and that GU goes after a host of players hoping to nail one. So put Ziegler down as not a GU fan. He said SDSUs incoming class in the best ever and rises to the level of elite eight or final four potential. He also didn't have nice things to say about Gary Parrish, blowing him off as someone who is pressured to deliver online clicks and hence more likely than him, a sainted newspaper reporter, to rush a story before it's been checked.

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Well, it does defy tradition for ALL these all world kids coming to SDS all of a sudden. It's like somebody did something. The school's the same, the weather is the same, the ocean's been there forever. SOmething changed dramaically.
I doubt GU had anything to say about anything. One doesn't need to posit a Few or snyone noticing how amazing the recruitment has changed. I believe in luck but THIS lucky?? I doubt it. Something's up. Time will tell.

Zagger
09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I feel for SDSU - the school. I also feel for us and rest of W Coast BB. It's nice to have good teams/players on this side of the country. If SDSU is guilty of something to a serious extend it hurts all of college BB. I'm proud of GU's program and the kids we get to play here in Spokane. GU's program just keeps getting better and I for one would rather see GU make solid teams/players out of kids rather than have kids come here who were the cream of the crop (in skills but not necessarily character). I'm not really into expecting E8, F4 or championships all the time. Striving for those things with the kids we do get is exciting. Expecting those achievements year in and year out ..... not sure if I'd end up being as much of a GU fan if it got to that. Go Zags!

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Well, it does defy tradition for ALL these all world kids coming to SDS all of a sudden. It's like somebody did something. The school's the same, the weather is the same, the ocean's been there forever. SOmething changed dramaically.
I doubt GU had anything to say about anything. One doesn't need to posit a Few or snyone noticing how amazing the recruitment has changed. I believe in luck but THIS lucky?? I doubt it. Something's up. Time will tell.

I'd say it's been gradual. Fisher has been there quite a while and turned things around almost right away. Initially it was mostly with transfer players. Eventually they had some guys come up thru the program that helped them continue to improve, but it seems like it was diamonds in the rough that really blossomed (anybody have Kawhi Leonard or Jamaal Franklin very highly rated coming out of high school?). They've been winning and going to the Tourney consistently. It's only been recently their recruiting profile has gone up. I'm not saying there's nothing improper going on there, but the recruiting isn't proof that there is.

You want to talk about a program that went from nowhere to raking in highly regarded recruits, what about Baylor? That defies explanation what happened there. Now they seem to be slipping back to irrelevance again, but there was a 2 or 3 year period where they were recruiting as well as the Kentucky and Duke type programs. How did that happen?

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 03:24 PM
1 or 2 maybe but ALL recruits this year are 4 and 5 star kids. Maybe coach hired an all star recruiter . But it's a major change. Always SDS has been a reasonably good team..........they've proven that. This class on the griddle is spectacular though. Must be luck...........

doctorzag
09-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Current Aztec`s we lost out on.
Angelo Choi
Trey Kell
Malik Pope
Skylar Spencer
Nolan Norain
Any I`m missing?

I hope it was us who turned them in if they were cheating.

jazzdelmar
09-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Angelo Choi
Trey Kell
Malik Pope
Skylar Spencer
Nolan Norain
Any I`m missing?

How about that stud transfer forward who played only year at SDSU? Was it last year or year before?

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 04:02 PM
How about that stud transfer forward who played only year at SDSU? Was it last year or year before?

The guy from Tulane, Jackson maybe? Wasn't last year, maybe the year before.

DarkZagRises
09-16-2015, 04:03 PM
That sig line has been in place about four or five weeks, spy. I change it from time to time.

Love this subplot here.

Count me a fan Reno!

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 04:06 PM
I must be missing something. SDSU is getting top 100 guys and maybe a few top 50 guys. I'm not seeing McD's AA types, top 25 or top 10, players that everybody is after. Not seeing 5 stars. They are recruiting well, but have they had a class ranked in the top 10? They aren't competing with the blue bloods. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Baylor in 3 consecutive years reeled in Perry Jones, Quincy Miller and Isaiah Austin. SDSU hasn't gotten any recruits anywhere near that level as far as I can tell. All 3 underachieved, but that's beside the point.

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Jazz, it was Josh Davis in '13.

jazzdelmar
09-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Jazz, it was Josh Davis in '13.

Right. Heckuva rebounder. Would have been big plus for the '13 edition of the Zags. As would have the kid who picked Oregon.

jazzdelmar
09-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I must be missing something. SDSU is getting top 100 guys and maybe a few top 50 guys. I'm not seeing McD's AA types, top 25 or top 10, players that everybody is after. Not seeing 5 stars. They are recruiting well, but have they had a class ranked in the top 10? They aren't competing with the blue bloods. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Baylor in 3 consecutive years reeled in Perry Jones, Quincy Miller and Isaiah Austin. SDSU hasn't gotten any recruits anywhere near that level as far as I can tell. All 3 underachieved, but that's beside the point.

Of course Cat they aren't competing w the Dooks and Millers of the world but they seem to almost always get who they target. As was said above they have level jumped in last few years, sadly coinciding with the ALS diagnosis of Fishs son, who was his second right hand man and involved in recruiting. They play a dreary schedule and are in a low bid mod major conference. They play boring offense and besides the great Kawhi they have a poor NBA placement record. Do the math. They have a great on campus facility, a la UA, a new jillion dollar practice facility bought by the scion of Qualcomm billions, but a day hop campus that's aging and congested, you can barely graduate in six years.

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 04:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/ncaa-in-the-preliminary-stages-of-san-diego-state-probe-234637684.html

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 04:43 PM
The Mountain West has really slipped recently but it wasn't long ago it was perennially a 3 or 4 bid league.

Hey while we're running teams down for what must obviously be sketchy recruiting in our minds, what about the Aztecs' conference brethren UNLV? Certainly a program that isn't a stranger to illegal activity, higher profile recruiting than SDSU from a coach with exactly no track record of doing anything, sound fishy?

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 04:50 PM
As would have the kid who picked Oregon.

The well traveled Mike Moser.

willandi
09-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Maybe they can skate by if they change the name of the school to University of North Carolina, San Diego branch!

JPtheBeasta
09-16-2015, 07:50 PM
I'd say it's been gradual. Fisher has been there quite a while and turned things around almost right away. Initially it was mostly with transfer players. Eventually they had some guys come up thru the program that helped them continue to improve, but it seems like it was diamonds in the rough that really blossomed (anybody have Kawhi Leonard or Jamaal Franklin very highly rated coming out of high school?). They've been winning and going to the Tourney consistently. It's only been recently their recruiting profile has gone up. I'm not saying there's nothing improper going on there, but the recruiting isn't proof that there is.

You want to talk about a program that went from nowhere to raking in highly regarded recruits, what about Baylor? That defies explanation what happened there. Now they seem to be slipping back to irrelevance again, but there was a 2 or 3 year period where they were recruiting as well as the Kentucky and Duke type programs. How did that happen?

I seem to remember Baylor getting busted for recruiting violations. Too many or improper phone calls. Something like that.

ETA: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/sports/ncaabasketball/ncaa-report-lists-major-violations-for-baylor-basketball.html?_r=0

ZagaZags
09-17-2015, 12:32 AM
Angelo Choi
Trey Kell
Malik Pope
Skylar Spencer
Nolan Norain
Any I`m missing?

Gonzaga was on the radar for Angelo Chol, Trey Kell and Malik Pope. Angelo Chol decided to head home, Trey Kell wanted to stay home and Gonzaga gave up on Malik Pope after the 2nd injury. They beat GU on Skylar Spencer. When it comes to Nolan Norain, that really was a surprise.

Some on SDSU boards claim GU is to blame as the whistle blower.

http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/47002/mens-basketball-program-investigation

I did get roasted when I mentioned GU had a transfer possibility ( Angelo Chol ) but I couldn't give the name since the season hadn't ended yet. BobZag even called me, all I could tell him was, the player was from the Pac-12. The person who informed me about Chol reads GU Boards.

jazzdelmar
09-17-2015, 03:26 AM
Growing consensus here in little LA LA land is that CBS's Parrish does Crookapari's bidding and this "leak" is intended to scuttle SDSU's recruiting of Cage and Leaf, both of whom they probably have/had a solid chance of landing. Dunno, sounds contrived and sour grapey. OTOH, the notion that the college with the glorified high school campus hard by the Interstate that plays a slew of D-3s is competing with blue bloods UK and KU is mind boggling.

ZagsGoZags
09-17-2015, 03:54 AM
There are quite a few fingers pointed at 'competitor', 'jealous', programs named on the Aztecs blog.
Kentucky, Oregon, UW, Zags, Cal, UCLA, other Mountain West schools, other Pac12 schools who are angry SDSU has taken away some of their recruits.

Here are a couple of quotes:

"So we have Gonzaga, UCLA/Alford, Missouri, and now UNLV? Dammit, I've got my pitchfork and torch, just don't know which way to run"

and this one is interesting ...

"Hope it is nothing, because anything approaching what may be running through our heads will kill this program. This is not North Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA or even Gonzaga, at this point in this programs life, anything significant will be a death sentence. "

Read more: http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/47002/mens-basketball-program-investigation#ixzz3lzo5v8s8

TheGonzagaFactor
09-17-2015, 06:25 AM

Exactly what the post you replied to was getting at.

Bogozags
09-17-2015, 08:15 AM
It's entirely possible that not every SA from SDSU is involved in this.

I'll bet it's those lacrosse and women's tennis teams that have been accepting money...I knew it would come out one day!

To be serious, we don't have any specifics so it's all speculation so why even mention the names of players in conjunction with a possible violation! To me that is irresponsible...innocent until proven guilty and since the Staff recruited those players, they must have pretty decent characters.