Wiltjer
Dranginis
McClellan
Perkins

Key subs:

Sabonis
Alberts
Melson

For the bigs I expect Sabonis, Karno, and Wiltjer to split time evenly, with Edwards getting in there 5-10 minutes a game. For the guards, I'll wager that Alberts gets a substantial role off the bench. And unless it's a blowout game, when Perkins is getting a rest--McClellan will be at the point.

cggonzaga
09-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Perkins
Melson
Dranginis
Wiltjer
Karno

I believe McClellan is more versatile off the bench as he can play all 3 guard spots. I want to believe in Alberts but I'm not quite there yet. I don't think you'll find 2 better big men off the bench in college basketball than Sabonis and Edwards.

BULLDOG#1
09-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Let's get it going--my starting five:

Karnowski
Wiltjer
Dranginis
McClellan
Perkins

Key subs:

Sabonis
Alberts
Melson

For the bigs I expect Sabonis, Karno, and Wiltjer to split time evenly, with Edwards getting in there 5-10 minutes a game. For the guards, I'll wager that Alberts gets a substantial role off the bench. And unless it's a blowout game, when Perkins is getting a rest--McClellan will be at the point.

I agree with this. Melson isn't ready to start over McClellan.

Not having seen much of Perkins, I'd have to say McClellan is the best option at either guard spot. He played extremely well at the end of last season.

This is a talented and deep roster. Strong, big, and athletic guards are going to be nice.

ZAGGED OUT
09-14-2015, 03:33 PM
I agree with this. Melson isn't ready to start over McClellan.

Not having seen much of Perkins, I'd have to say McClellan is the best option at either guard spot. He played extremely well at the end of last season.

This is a talented and deep roster. Strong, big, and athletic guards are going to be nice.

I promise you Perkins starts and will easily be the best true PG on the roster. I'm leaning towards McClellan being first off the bench even though Melson was pretty raw last year.

Zagger
09-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Perkins
Melson
Dranginis
Wiltjer
Karno

I believe McClellan is more versatile off the bench as he can play all 3 guard spots. I want to believe in Alberts but I'm not quite there yet. I don't think you'll find 2 better big men off the bench in college basketball than Sabonis and Edwards.

:agreed: Although I might do some switcherooing after KITK (if I can get in)!

hooter73
09-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I think it is going to be between Melson and EMac for that other starting spot. Not knowing if either has evolved at all so going off of just what we saw last year, Melson is (or is supposed to be a scorer through and through). McClellan is a bit less of a shooter and more of an all around guy which will be interesting to see if we start off with him on the floor off the bat at the expense of a known jump shooter to spread the D out from clogging our bigs or use him as a calming influence off the bench. I wont be surprised to see one starting one game and then the other starting the next early on just to see who preforms better in what role. It may prove that Melson is one of those guys that plays better when starting. Or maybe he's going to have a much better year as last year was just about as unfair to him as it could have been. Conversely, if McClellan steps up as a double digit scorer like he was at Vanderbilt, his all around style of play, leadership and experience will be hard to keep off the floor.

DixieZag
09-14-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm still (and been lambasted for repetition) of the belief that you find a way to play your 3 (almost possible All-American) best players as much as possible.

Karnowski
Sabonis
Wiltjer
Drainginis
Perkins

Play zone if need be, find a way to make it work.

Given that I am apparently insane for such beliefs, I think the second strongest starting lineup

Karnowski
Wiltjer
Drainginis
McClellan
Perkins

cggonzaga
09-14-2015, 05:39 PM
I think it is going to be between Melson and EMac for that other starting spot. Not knowing if either has evolved at all so going off of just what we saw last year, Melson is (or is supposed to be a scorer through and through). McClellan is a bit less of a shooter and more of an all around guy which will be interesting to see if we start off with him on the floor off the bat at the expense of a known jump shooter to spread the D out from clogging our bigs or use him as a calming influence off the bench. I wont be surprised to see one starting one game and then the other starting the next early on just to see who preforms better in what role. It may prove that Melson is one of those guys that plays better when starting. Or maybe he's going to have a much better year as last year was just about as unfair to him as it could have been. Conversely, if McClellan steps up as a double digit scorer like he was at Vanderbilt, his all around style of play, leadership and experience will be hard to keep off the floor.

I like this. My belief is that we didn't see what Silas Melson truly is last year. Not all freshman come in and adjust to the game immediately. I'm hoping he's improved his game and confidence over the offseason and is ready to take over as our leading guard scorer. Having McClellan on the court will be nice as well as I think he's more of a playmaker like Perkins. No matter what, outside of Wiltjer and possibly Perkins playing major minutes, I believe almost all the guys will play 20mpg or more. (top 7 that is; Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, McClellan, Wiltjer, Karno and Sabonis)

SteelZag
09-14-2015, 05:49 PM
As good as our frontcourt is going to be, there still needs to be some 3pt shooters on the floor. I'm going with....

Perkins
Melson
Dranginis
Witjer
Karnowski

I believe that Zags need a minimum of 2 3pt shooters at all times on the floor. I think Perkins is underrated as a 3pt shooter, somewhat like GBJ and will probably only shoot when open. Dranginis may be somewhat the same and EM also. I consider Melson, Wiltjer and Alberts as volume 3 pt shooters. When coach goes big, I think Melson and possibly Alberts might work well. With Wiltjer off the floor, Melson definitely
needs to be in game. I have a lot of confidence in all the guards as they can all play 1-3 positions. Coach can dial up almost any combo and the Zags should be fun to watch. The perimeter defense should be awesome and I don't see any drop in offense from last season. Few could draw names out of a hat for the guards and not too many teams could hang with the Zags.

I'm all in for this season.

zag buddy
09-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Alberts might be our best 3 pt shooter

GonzaGAW
09-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I see a consensus for the most part
- karno
- wiltjer
- draingins
- perkins
- then a split on melson or mcclellan.

I think to start the year and start of a game few will go with mcclellan to begin with, going with experience. but as melson matures and gets more consistent I can see them swapping starting positions.
I see a year long 9 man rotation, that will see sabonis playing starter minutes. few has said he is too good to play just 20 minutes and he and karno and wiltjer will sometimes be on the floor at the same time. alberts and Edwards will have the opportunity to get their feet wet as well.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-14-2015, 06:46 PM
As good as our frontcourt is going to be, there still needs to be some 3pt shooters on the floor. I'm going with....

Perkins
Melson
Dranginis
Witjer
Karnowski

I believe that Zags need a minimum of 2 3pt shooters at all times on the floor. I think Perkins is underrated as a 3pt shooter, somewhat like GBJ and will probably only shoot when open. Dranginis may be somewhat the same and EM also. I consider Melson, Wiltjer and Alberts as volume 3 pt shooters. When coach goes big, I think Melson and possibly Alberts might work well. With Wiltjer off the floor, Melson definitely
needs to be in game. I have a lot of confidence in all the guards as they can all play 1-3 positions. Coach can dial up almost any combo and the Zags should be fun to watch. The perimeter defense should be awesome and I don't see any drop in offense from last season. Few could draw names out of a hat for the guards and not too many teams could hang with the Zags.

I'm all in for this season.

+1
With you on all the above SteelZag!

Sabonis, McClellan and Alberts off the bench but may well play more minutes than some starters...certainly Sabonis.
I think Melson starting will be a good confidence booster to the youngster and help his game. McClellan will see Sabonis on the bench too and these guys will bring huge, huge energy off the bench.
Edwards will get to play 7-10 minutes a game in WCC at least.
Love this roster.

BULLDOG#1
09-14-2015, 07:02 PM

Melson may be the future, but EM showed way more than Melson did last year. Seems like folks are forgetting how tough EM was down the stretch last year - probably an even better on the ball defender than Bell. Unless Melson had an incredible summer of improvement, I can't see him starting over EM. I think Melson will be the scoring punch off the bench.

ZagsGoZags
09-14-2015, 08:40 PM
I'll be surprised if it isn't these guys at these positions
1 Perkins
2 Melson
3 Kyle D
4 Kyle W
5 Karno

ZagaZags
09-14-2015, 09:06 PM
I will go against the grain.

1 Perkins
2 Melson
3 McClellan
4 Wiltjer
5 Karnowski

maynard g krebs
09-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Karno
Wilt
Perkins
Dranginis
McClellan

Melson didn't have the trust of Few at the end of last season when McClellan and Dranginis got the backup minutes. His decision making needs to improve before he's a starter in the Zag system, regardless of how much talent he has.

McClellan is a proven scorer who showed his maturity as a player by accepting a nonscoring role when he came in at midseason last year.

amaronizag
09-15-2015, 05:40 AM
I could see the minutes being shared in something close to these proportions. FIRST 5 START, SECOND 4 OFF THE BENCH. Can we play 9 deep??
player minutes
JP 34
KD 26
KW 28
DS 26
PK 26

SM 18
BA 18
EM 16
RE 8

Zagcity
09-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Karno
Wilt
Perkins
Dranginis
McClellan

Melson didn't have the trust of Few at the end of last season when McClellan and Dranginis got the backup minutes. His decision making needs to improve before he's a starter in the Zag system, regardless of how much talent he has.

McClellan is a proven scorer who showed his maturity as a player by accepting a nonscoring role when he came in at midseason last year.

This is the most likely scenario ;)

TheGonzagaFactor
09-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Perkins
Melson
Dranginis
Wiltjer
Karnowski

McClellan, Sabonis first off bench

I think things will be different with regards to Melson. Last year he was just an able body that was needed because of an emergency. McClellan got Melson's minutes because he became eligible. I don't think Melson was thrown in the dog house last year, I just think he was not needed anymore (like at the beginning of the season) and we had more experienced players. This year he not only plans to suit up but he plans to get decent minutes. Much different situation for him, taking off that RS and essentially being thrown to the wolves during your offseason can't be easy. This year he should be mentally prepared. I could see McClellan starting over him, but either way Melson will get playing time and look better than last year.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Melson may be the future, but EM showed way more than Melson did last year. Seems like folks are forgetting how tough EM was down the stretch last year - probably an even better on the ball defender than Bell. Unless Melson had an incredible summer of improvement, I can't see him starting over EM. I think Melson will be the scoring punch off the bench.

I think it's unfair to judge Melson based on last year, he wasn't even supposed to play. In a lot of ways I'd say the same about McClellan. Both had short seasons and EM had to deal with an injury as well.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Arguably GU has the best bigs in CBB; and potentially a top 15 backcourt. But no one has pointed out the obvious crater at the 3, where the FF teams almost always have NBA material. To the extent MF patches that hole the Zags will go very far or come up short. If this year's team had the Mizzou transfer, a FF for sure. There are no natural 3s on the roster.

LongIslandZagFan
09-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Let's get it going--my starting five:

Karnowski
Wiltjer
Dranginis
McClellan
Perkins

Key subs:

Sabonis
Alberts
Melson

Think this nails it on the head.

Zagceo
09-15-2015, 09:00 AM
The real question is……..will the starting five in November be the same starting five in March?

I believe Domas has trimmed down for a reason. I believe Alberts will prove to be the real deal inside and out.

November________ March

Karnowski________ Karnowski
Witjer____________Witjer
Dranginis_________Sabonis
McClellan_________Alberts
Perkins__________ Perkins

strikenowhere
09-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Starters <--> Substitutions

Perkins <--> McClellan
Dranginis <--> Melson
Wiltjer <--> Dranginis
Sabonis <--> Wiltjer
Karnowski <--> Edwards

jazzdelmar
09-15-2015, 09:11 AM
CEO, Wow that's out-of-the-box thinking, good job.

zaguarxj
09-15-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm still (and been lambasted for repetition) of the belief that you find a way to play your 3 (almost possible All-American) best players as much as possible.

Karnowski
Sabonis
Wiltjer
Drainginis
Perkins

Play zone if need be, find a way to make it work.

Given that I am apparently insane for such beliefs, I think the second strongest starting lineup

Karnowski
Wiltjer
Drainginis
McClellan
Perkins

You aren't insane for believing in that lineup, you're just insane if you think Mark Few is ever going to start that lineup, given his history. Did he even play Austin Daye at the 3 much?

seacatfan
09-15-2015, 10:03 AM
You aren't insane for believing in that lineup, you're just insane if you think Mark Few is ever going to start that lineup, given his history. Did he even play Austin Daye at the 3 much?

From what I recall, Daye never played his natural position at GU. That was a matter of necessity because there was a shortage of big bodies back then. When Sacre got hurt Heytvelt had to play full time at 5, Daye was the 4, and Kuso was really the only guy with decent size that could sub in. Pendergraft spent at least half of his minutes playing as a way undersized 4. There doesn't seem to be that problem of a lack of bigs and true centers now...

BULLDOG#1
09-15-2015, 10:16 AM
I can't understand why there's not more love for McClellan.

He's an experienced senior and played well in important situations for the team last year. From what I've seen, he's also the best on the ball defender on this roster.

I agree that both Melson and Alberts have great upside, but I don't see the rationalization for thinking that they'll start ahead of (or play more minutes than) McClellan this year.

Based on what I saw last year, I'd say the only three guaranteed starters are Karno, Wilt, and McClellan. There's still a question mark around Perkins, whereas we have witnessed McClellan's ability to run the team (in spot minutes subbing for Pangos last year).

Any way you slice it, it's great to have this amount of talent -- enough to warrant these type of questions.

cggonzaga
09-15-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't think there's a lack of love for McClellan. I think he'll be a crucial part of this team. Starting is overrated.

Perkins
Melson
Dranginis
Wiltjer
Karnowski

McClellan, Sabonis first off bench

I think things will be different with regards to Melson. Last year he was just an able body that was needed because of an emergency. McClellan got Melson's minutes because he became eligible. I don't think Melson was thrown in the dog house last year, I just think he was not needed anymore (like at the beginning of the season) and we had more experienced players. This year he not only plans to suit up but he plans to get decent minutes. Much different situation for him, taking off that RS and essentially being thrown to the wolves during your offseason can't be easy. This year he should be mentally prepared. I could see McClellan starting over him, but either way Melson will get playing time and look better than last year.

Agree with all of this.

Mr Vulture
09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I wanted to put my lineup in before reading what others have said. I don't think it's really that hard to figure out the lineup and primary subs this year. I expect that Sabonis and McClellan play as much the starters...outside of Perkins and Wiltjer.

Starters: Karnowski, Wiltjer, Dranginis, Melson, Perkins
Subs: Sabonis, McClellan, Edwards, and Alberts

CDC84
09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
This is what I think we will see:

Perkins
McClellan
Dranginis
Wiltjer
Karnowski

My prediction is that Ryan Edwards will be a more significant part of this team than some people think....especially if Karno and Sabonis continue on with their propensity for picking up cheap fouls.

I just can't see McClellan not starting. He's a senior, and if you know Few, he'll start a senior over an underclassman who might, in some people's view, possess more "upside." I also feel with Perkins' inexperience that Few is going to want another PG with good handles (which Kyle D. doesn't have) playing alongside him at the start of games.

Mr Vulture
09-15-2015, 11:23 AM
If you don't think Perkins is a guaranteed starter you are going to be surprised. There is no way that McClellan starts over Perkins...maybe Melson but not Perkins. I personally like McClellan coming off the bench as he can slot into whatever position you need based on game flow. I think he can play any of the 1 thru 3 spots on the floor....that is very valuable.

He's an experienced senior and played well in important situations for the team last year. From what I've seen, he's also the best on the ball defender on this roster.

I agree that both Melson and Alberts have great upside, but I don't see the rationalization for thinking that they'll start ahead of (or play more minutes than) McClellan this year.

Based on what I saw last year, I'd say the only three guaranteed starters are Karno, Wilt, and McClellan. There's still a question mark around Perkins, whereas we have witnessed McClellan's ability to run the team (in spot minutes subbing for Pangos last year).

Any way you slice it, it's great to have this amount of talent -- enough to warrant these type of questions.

BULLDOG#1
09-15-2015, 11:39 AM
If you don't think Perkins is a guaranteed starter you are going to be surprised. There is no way that McClellan starts over Perkins...maybe Melson but not Perkins. I personally like McClellan coming off the bench as he can slot into whatever position you need based on game flow. I think he can play any of the 1 thru 3 spots on the floor....that is very valuable.

I agree that Perkins will probably start - I expect it. My point is that McClellan showed way more than Perkins or Melson did last year. Based on that, I expect to see him start (along with Karno and Wilt). All other players (except perhaps Dranginis) have major question marks. McClellan is a known - Perkins, Melson, and Alberts are still somewhat unknown.

I get what folks are posting about Melson getting more mentally focused this year, and that may be true... But what we witnessed at the end of last year indicates that McClellan is miles ahead of Melson.

IowaSERE
09-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Perkins
Dranginis
Alberts
Wiltjer
Karno

cjm720
09-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Perkins
EMac
Dranginis
Wiltjer
Karno

Sabonis, Melson, Alberts, Edwards round out the rotation.

ZagaZags
09-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Does anyone want to make a bet on the O/U with Perkins mpg? I set the O/U at 30.5 mpg. I will take the over.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Melson logged multiple games with 15+ minutes and a good contribution on the offensive end scoring in double figures multiple times. McClellan on the other hand never took more then 3 shots and never played more then 12 minutes in a game. You can point to McClellan coming in midseason as the reason for his lack of output on the offensive end but Melson was a true freshman who was supposed to redshirt and still outdid McClellan on that end.

And that's very important, that offensive output. Perkins and McClellan wouldn't provide the punch Mark Few likes whereas Melson gives you that punch in spades AND you get the benefit of McClellans spark and versatility off the bench.

Personally, one of my favorite things about last year was how McClellan was used. Few waiting deep into the first half (like the 4-6 minute mark) to insert that athletic whirlwind. Everything is winding down and now the other team has to deal with that kind of fresh athleticism. Genius. I don't know why you'd want to lose that.

zag buddy
09-15-2015, 01:24 PM
All I know is that the games I saw in the summer scrimmages, Mac always brought the ball up the floor and I have never seen anyone faster. Also he worked the hardest thru out the workout. A wild guess might be that Perk plays the two.

hockeyzag
09-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Perkins
McCellan
Melson
Wiltjer
Karnowski

I really want to see Melson thrive this year. All that talk about him last year from Coach Few got me excited.

NotoriousZ
09-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Arguably GU has the best bigs in CBB; and potentially a top 15 backcourt. But no one has pointed out the obvious crater at the 3, where the FF teams almost always have NBA material. To the extent MF patches that hole the Zags will go very far or come up short. If this year's team had the Mizzou transfer, a FF for sure. There are no natural 3s on the roster.

I'm just not seeing the crater, Jazz. Dranginis is one of our better defenders, and he's also one of our smartest (basketball IQ wise). The player you might see as not talented enough is the same player I see as exactly what this team needs. We don't need five scorers on the court, we need five players who play well together. And Dranginis can score well enough to keep the opponents' defense honest. In fact, I expect him to put up career numbers in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. Go Kyle! Go Zags!!

seacatfan
09-15-2015, 01:47 PM
All I know is that the games I saw in the summer scrimmages, Mac always brought the ball up the floor and I have never seen anyone faster. Also he worked the hardest thru out the workout. A wild guess might be that Perk plays the two.

Goodson used to bring the ball up the floor, then hand it off to someone else (Bouldin or Gray or...?) to initiate the offense. Perkins is a pure PG if there ever was one. Few certainly doesn't have a problem putting two PG on the floor together at the same time. So in other words, McClellan may very well be utilized to get the ball up the floor as quickly as possible, but I can't imagine Perkins isn't going to be the guy directing the offense.

seacatfan
09-15-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm just not seeing the crater, Jazz. Dranginis is one of our better defenders, and he's also one of our smartest (basketball IQ wise). The player you might see as not talented enough is the same player I see as exactly what this team needs. We don't need five scorers on the court, we need five players who play well together. And Dranginis can score well enough to keep the opponents' defense honest. In fact, I expect him to put up career numbers in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. Go Kyle! Go Zags!!

Agree. Dranginis was playing about as much as Wesley by the end of last season, very obviously Few trusts him to a high degree. The Zags have certainly been in worse shape at the 3 before. I know many love him, but Hart absolutely COULD NOT SCORE and Few gave up on Landry Edi fairly quickly. It was either a three really small guard lineup, or else someone else majorly deficient in some areas of the game at the 3. I'm perfectly good with Dranginis there, and some combination of Alberts/Melson/McClellan for back up (with a possibility of Wiltjer in limited minutes for those clamoring for the 3 bigs lineup).

cjm720
09-15-2015, 01:54 PM

Agree with all but Perkins, who will be a star from jump street.

jchocolate99
09-15-2015, 03:52 PM

McClellen is not a guarantee to start this season especially over Perkins not happening. The battle will be at the two spot between Melson and McClellen but Perkins starting at PG is locked up and a pretty safe guarantee

I agree that Perkins will probably start - I expect it. My point is that McClellan showed way more than Perkins or Melson did last year. Based on that, I expect to see him start (along with Karno and Wilt). All other players (except perhaps Dranginis) have major question marks. McClellan is a known - Perkins, Melson, and Alberts are still somewhat unknown.

The first bold highlight I have to really disagree with. McClellen showed that we can count on him for defense with Bell now gone. What he also showed was that he can adequately run the offense in place of our starting PG which is Josh Perkins... Perkins showed a lot in a very short period before his injury so I'm really not sure where you come up with that. Perkins showed that he had better defense than I expected, was a better 3pt shooter than I expected and that will be added on top of his crazy court vision and passing abilities plus he is a good slasher.... As far as the second highlight from your post yes Perkins is an unknown as far as it comes to his experience at the D1 level. He's shown enough to garner Few's trust which as any Zag fan knows coach Few does not easily trust freshman. Perkins was getting about 15mins per game before he got hurt and we were starting to see coach implement more of the two PG system to free up Pangos because he trusted the very talented freshmen to run the offense. With Perkins flashy ways plus his inexperience we're gonna see some mistakes and boneheaded plays but this team is Josh Perkins team now.

Not happening and not sure why anyone would even come up with that guess... Perkins is a pure PG and as much as I loved Pangos career at GU we just upgraded at PG with Josh Perkins taking over

MDABE80
09-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Karnowski
Wiltjer
Drainginis <--------------this is the lineup. All good guard defenders, larger guards, and superior passers.
McClellan
Perkins

23zagmd
09-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Jazz, you are soooo right on this. We have lost soooo many big games due to this position and lack of a decent matchup here!

I for one could give a crap who starts. This thread has to go down as the annual BLATHER thread. How about a thread with the topic, "Finally we have a 3 to compete with the top 10 teams!"

23zagmd
09-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Because KD is a 2 NOT a 3 and is forced to play the 3 because of our inability to get a guy on campus that can!

I'm just not seeing the crater, Jazz. Dranginis is one of our better defenders, and he's also one of our smartest (basketball IQ wise). The player you might see as not talented enough is the same player I see as exactly what this team needs. We don't need five scorers on the court, we need five players who play well together. And Dranginis can score well enough to keep the opponents' defense honest. In fact, I expect him to put up career numbers in points, reebounds, assists, and steals. Go Kyle! Go Zags!!

zagfan94
09-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Perkins was getting about 15mins per game before he got hurt and we were starting to see coach implement more of the two PG system to free up Pangos because he trusted the very talented freshmen to run the offense. With Perkins flashy ways plus his inexperience we're gonna see some mistakes and boneheaded plays but this team is Josh Perkins team now.

Not happening and not sure why anyone would even come up with that guess... Perkins is a pure PG and as much as I loved Pangos career at GU we just upgraded at PG with Josh Perkins taking over

Other than SMU all his games were 50 point blowouts, Nunez averaged around 10 and 10 during that same stretch. I think the expectations being placed on him here are a bit unfair.

JosephZags
09-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Alberts might be our best 3 pt shooter

I'd say that is probably wiltjer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BULLDOG#1
09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
McClellen is not a guarantee to start this season especially over Perkins not happening. The battle will be at the two spot between Melson and McClellen but Perkins starting at PG is locked up and a pretty safe guarantee

The first bold highlight I have to really disagree with. McClellen showed that we can count on him for defense with Bell now gone. What he also showed was that he can adequately run the offense in place of our starting PG which is Josh Perkins... Perkins showed a lot in a very short period before his injury so I'm really not sure where you come up with that. Perkins showed that he had better defense than I expected, was a better 3pt shooter than I expected and that will be added on top of his crazy court vision and passing abilities plus he is a good slasher.... As far as the second highlight from your post yes Perkins is an unknown as far as it comes to his experience at the D1 level. He's shown enough to garner Few's trust which as any Zag fan knows coach Few does not easily trust freshman. Perkins was getting about 15mins per game before he got hurt and we were starting to see coach implement more of the two PG system to free up Pangos because he trusted the very talented freshmen to run the offense. With Perkins flashy ways plus his inexperience we're gonna see some mistakes and boneheaded plays but this team is Josh Perkins team now.

We just disagree.

I hope, and somewhat expect, Perkins to be the next great GU point guard. From what I saw last year was that he was good, not great... Well, dang good for a freshman, but not earth-shattering. Calling him and upgrade from one of the best PGs to come thru GU is a premature to say the least. His minutes came early and he never really had the chance to truly show his stuff. Pangos was clearly better as a freshman.

So, we're judging Perkins on potential. A great deal of potential, for sure... but potential nonetheless.

McClellan on the other hand, came in and delivered when it really mattered. He wasn't spectacular, but he was unexpectedly solid. Rock solid on defense.

We may see it differently, but the good news is that whichever comes to be, it's a can't lose for the zags.

maynard g krebs
09-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Melson logged multiple games with 15+ minutes and a good contribution on the offensive end scoring in double figures multiple times. McClellan on the other hand never took more then 3 shots and never played more then 12 minutes in a game. You can point to McClellan coming in midseason as the reason for his lack of output on the offensive end but Melson was a true freshman who was supposed to redshirt and still outdid McClellan on that end.

And that's very important, that offensive output. Perkins and McClellan wouldn't provide the punch Mark Few likes whereas Melson gives you that punch in spades

McClellan led Vanderbilt in scoring at 14+ ppg through 12 games, with an average of 11 fg attempts per game. I think it's impressive that he was willing to blend in with the team and sacrifice his individual game and do what was asked. Also, as Few has said when Mc came in, he's been a pg his entire life, and we know Few loves having 2 guys with that skill in the starting lineup.

Melson puts up shots at a high per-minute rate, and some of them are questionable. I see him as instant offense off the bench at this point, with McClellan a better option in terms of helping run the offense effectively and getting the bigs the ball in position to score at a high rate. If McClellan and Dranginis can't make enough 3's to spread the floor and Melson can improve from last year's 34% to around 40, maybe that would make a case for him to start.

ZagaZags
09-15-2015, 09:46 PM
I wonder if Gonzaga could figure out a way to play 2 PGs at the same time........

cggonzaga
09-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Maybe I'm forgetting but aside from Pangos and Stockton, when have we played 2 pgs at the same time? The only reason those 2 even played together was because Pangos was such a good shooter.

ZagaZags
09-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Maybe I'm forgetting but aside from Pangos and Stockton, when have we played 2 pgs at the same time? The only reason those 2 even played together was because Pangos was such a good shooter.

Best of luck to Nigel Williams-Goss next (2016) season. Josh Perkins is the point guard at GU.

maynard g krebs
09-15-2015, 11:07 PM

Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, Pargo/Raivio off the top of my head. Perk/NWG next year too.

ZagaZags
09-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, Pargo/Raivio off the top of my head. Perk/NWG next year too.

I envision Eric McClellan & Josh Perkins on the floor at the same time. I'm still waiting for a taker on the O/U bet on Josh Perkins for next season. ( 30.5 mpg.) I get the over.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-16-2015, 06:24 AM
From what I recall, Daye never played his natural position at GU. That was a matter of necessity because there was a shortage of big bodies back then. When Sacre got hurt Heytvelt had to play full time at 5, Daye was the 4, and Kuso was really the only guy with decent size that could sub in. Pendergraft spent at least half of his minutes playing as a way undersized 4. There doesn't seem to be that problem of a lack of bigs and true centers now...

Honestly, does Daye have a natural position? He's too slow to play the 3 and too weak to play the 4/5 as anything more than a spot up perimeter shooter.

ZAGGED OUT
09-16-2015, 07:04 AM
We just disagree.

I hope, and somewhat expect, Perkins to be the next great GU point guard. From what I saw last year was that he was good, not great... Well, dang good for a freshman, but not earth-shattering. Calling him and upgrade from one of the best PGs to come thru GU is a premature to say the least. His minutes came early and he never really had the chance to truly show his stuff. Pangos was clearly better as a freshman.

So, we're judging Perkins on potential. A great deal of potential, for sure... but potential nonetheless.

McClellan on the other hand, came in and delivered when it really mattered. He wasn't spectacular, but he was unexpectedly solid. Rock solid on defense.

We may see it differently, but the good news is that whichever comes to be, it's a can't lose for the zags.

I'm going to have to disagree as well. KP was (is) obviously a better shooter, but I think Perks was better running the offense. He averaged the same amount of assists that Pangos did his freshman year, but in 11 minutes less per game. Also, his superior ball handling is a HUGE improvement IMO. I believe the only spot really up for grabs is the 2 spot. I'd be really surprised if KD didn't start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23zagmd
09-16-2015, 07:16 AM
And this is exactly what cost us the Duke game last year! If you go back and watch it, Pangos was gassed from all the pressure D and handling of the ball that he had to do. If he gets those open looks toward the end of any other game those 2 or 3 threes he missed go in and we probably win....that and KW missed layup. He had NO lift and legs in his jumper. That was all due to Dukes ball pressure and depth at guard.

It's not so much having 2 PG's.....it's having 2 elite ballhandlers! We had one and two guys that can handle WCC guard pressure.....not Duke!

BULLDOG#1
09-16-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm going to have to disagree as well. KP was (is) obviously a better shooter, but I think Perks was better running the offense. He averaged the same amount of assists that Pangos did his freshman year, but in 11 minutes less per game. Also, his superior ball handling is a HUGE improvement IMO. I believe the only spot really up for grabs is the 2 spot. I'd be really surprised if KD didn't start

I believe Perkins is going to be GREAT. But let's keep it real. The sample size is way to small to compare him with the amazing freshman year Pangos had. Yes, he averaged around the same amount of assists and he did it in fewer minutes. But seriously, Perkins only played 101 minutes and of his 17 assists for the year, 13 of them came in 50 point blowouts.

As a freshman, Pangos led the team to the second round of the tourney, big wins in the OOC (ND, Wazzu, Arizona), and had MONSTER games in conference to beat BYU and SMC.

To be fair, we should judge this upcoming year as Perkin's freshman year, but it's probably not fair to say at this point that he was equal to or better than Pangos as a freshman.

DixieZag
09-16-2015, 08:19 AM
We have great problems.

McClellan must start.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-16-2015, 08:33 AM
McClellan led Vanderbilt in scoring at 14+ ppg through 12 games, with an average of 11 fg attempts per game. I think it's impressive that he was willing to blend in with the team and sacrifice his individual game and do what was asked. Also, as Few has said when Mc came in, he's been a pg his entire life, and we know Few loves having 2 guys with that skill in the starting lineup.

Melson puts up shots at a high per-minute rate, and some of them are questionable. I see him as instant offense off the bench at this point, with McClellan a better option in terms of helping run the offense effectively and getting the bigs the ball in position to score at a high rate. If McClellan and Dranginis can't make enough 3's to spread the floor and Melson can improve from last year's 34% to around 40, maybe that would make a case for him to start.

Gerard Coleman was dropping 14 a game at Providence before he came here and never found his footing in our system. Just because EMac showed he can score in a different system does mean he can do it at Gonzaga and up to this point, he hasn't shown he can do it within our style of play. Why? I think it's because it's not being asked of him, his role is to provide defense and a huge pop of athleticism off the bench. I think we'll see him in the same role this year with significantly more minutes.

Somewhat unrelated but I love that we can actually have these conversations about the lineups. All the stability that Kevin and Gary and Shem and the like have provided over the last 4 years, I kind of missed that optimism and speculating on what a new group of players can do.

cggonzaga
09-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, Pargo/Raivio off the top of my head.

Guess that's kind of my point. Those tandems all played together because they were our best guards period. With the exception of Pargo and Stockton all were very talented shooters/scorers. We'll find out who our best guards are this year but we have at least 4 of them maybe 5. We don't necessarily have to play 2 point guards at a time. With Perkins I think it's almost unnecessary. I'd rather have Melson's scoring ability on the court with Dranginis because while Dranginis isn't a black hole like Hart was offensively, he generally gets his points off of hustle on the boards or wide open looks. Occassionaly he'll have a nice drive and hopefully he'll be more assertive this year.

Disagree about Pangos in last year's tournament. Don't believe he ever shot particularly well in the tournament and certainly not in Houston. Not having another shooter/scorer at the guard position is what hurt.

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Disagree about Pangos in last year's tournament. Don't believe he ever shot particularly well in the tournament and certainly not in Houston. Not having another shooter/scorer at the guard position is what hurt.

Pangos (and Bell as well) shot the ball well in Seattle. None of the Zags could find the range from the perimeter in that stupid dome in Houston, in either game. Duke struggled in their first game but somehow adjusted and shot better in the Regional Final.

seacatfan
09-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Just looked it up, Pangos was 8-15 from 3 point range in the 2 games in Seattle. I think I'd call that decent shooting...

cggonzaga
09-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Fair enough for Seattle. That was great shooting. He was 1-10 in Houston (yes I know nobody shot particularly well in Houston but not as bad as that. The UCLA guards actually shot ok as did a couple of the Duke guards.) however proving my point. Without another shooter/scorer from the guard positions is what killed us in the end. It was Pangos or pretty much nothing from the guards much of last year scoring wise.

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Gerard Coleman was dropping 14 a game at Providence before he came here and never found his footing in our system. Just because EMac showed he can score in a different system does mean he can do it at Gonzaga and up to this point, he hasn't shown he can do it within our style of play. Why? I think it's because it's not being asked of him, his role is to provide defense and a huge pop of athleticism off the bench. I think we'll see him in the same role this year with significantly more minutes.

Somewhat unrelated but I love that we can actually have these conversations about the lineups. All the stability that Kevin and Gary and Shem and the like have provided over the last 4 years, I kind of missed that optimism and speculating on what a new group of players can do.

Coleman scored because nobody at providence could It was a terrible team he fled. His precentage there were less than average. Coleman , as a player, is not even in the same zip code as McClellan. Coleman had no speed, no defense and rarely passed. Loved Coleman as a nice, very well raised young man ( among the best) but as a player, he was not close to Eric. I think McClellan was a monster on a leash last year (quoting my friends Tower of Power who used to work with us at the El Patio)...but the leash will be taken off this year. His head's on straight now. He'll contribute in bunches. Very calming force last year. Just handles himself differently.

maynard g krebs
09-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Gerard Coleman was dropping 14 a game at Providence before he came here and never found his footing in our system. Just because EMac showed he can score in a different system does mean he can do it at Gonzaga and up to this point, he hasn't shown he can do it within our style of play. Why? I think it's because it's not being asked of him, his role is to provide defense and a huge pop of athleticism off the bench.

I don't think EM will score 14 or anything close at GU. But last year at this time some posters were making comparisons of Coleman and Wesley. The thing about Coleman was that he lacked any semblance of a serviceable jump shot, so like with Meech, defenders could sag off him and clog the lane. McClellan has a functional looking enough jumper that you have to guard him; that's the difference.

zag67
09-17-2015, 10:10 AM
First Zagazags, I will take the under. BUt I do agree that it will be close. I also believe that EM and Perkins will be on the court together more than what some people believe. They are both good ball handlers and seem to know how to move the offense.

My starters:

Wiltjer
Karnowski
Perkins

Now you can make a case for any of these:
Melson - better outside shooter
Dranginis - he has earned it, but at the same time might be the best person for coming off the bench (knows the role)
EM - Best person to help Perkins gain his confidence because he can also handle the ball and the offense very well. He has started on his previous teams. But he is also the best person to come in to give Perkins his first rest. Initially coming in for another starter, get his feel for the game, and then you can take Perkins out.

I think all of them play great defense. Dranginis has the most intangiables. EM the most experience running an offense. Melson can probably be the best 3 point assassin. I also think that Alberts will be a super sub into this team. The films show he has all of the right stuff.

I think that the ones that do not start will be in early along with Sabonis.

Cannot wait for the year to start. GO Zags

maynard g krebs
09-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Melson can probably be the best 3 point assassin.

Melson shot .418 last year, .340 from 3, .467 ft's(limited sample there).

He took 91 shots in 297 minutes, which is a high rate, higher than Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Sabonis; about the same as Karno and behind only Wiltjer. Couple that with the fact that he had 10 assists (that would be one assist per 29.7 minutes) and 12 to's total and it paints a picture of a guy who hasn't yet shown he's ready to be more than instant offense off the bench. (McClellan 14 assists, 4 to's in under half the minutes)

If Melson starts, it will mean he's made a huge jump in his understanding of how to play in the Zags' offense since the end of last season. I hope he does. His talent is undeniable, but there's a reason he didn't sniff the top 100 in spite of that talent out of hs.

ZagaZags
09-17-2015, 09:19 PM
First Zagazags, I will take the under. BUt I do agree that it will be close. I also believe that EM and Perkins will be on the court together more than what some people believe. They are both good ball handlers and seem to know how to move the offense.

My starters:

Wiltjer
Karnowski
Perkins

Now you can make a case for any of these:
Dranginis - he has earned it, but at the same time might be the best person for coming off the bench (knows the role)
EM - Best person to help Perkins gain his confidence because he can also handle the ball and the offense very well. He has started on his previous teams. But he is also the best person to come in to give Perkins his first rest. Initially coming in for another starter, get his feel for the game, and then you can take Perkins out.

I think all of them play great defense. Dranginis has the most intangiables. EM the most experience running an offense. Melson can probably be the best 3 point assassin. I also think that Alberts will be a super sub into this team. The films show he has all of the right stuff.

I think that the ones that do not start will be in early along with Sabonis.

Cannot wait for the year to start. GO Zags

We will make it another 12 pack bet. I have the over with JP getting more than 30.5 mpg.

cggonzaga
09-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Melson shot .418 last year, .340 from 3, .467 ft's(limited sample there).

He took 91 shots in 297 minutes, which is a high rate, higher than Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Sabonis; about the same as Karno and behind only Wiltjer. Couple that with the fact that he had 10 assists (that would be one assist per 29.7 minutes) and 12 to's total and it paints a picture of a guy who hasn't yet shown he's ready to be more than instant offense off the bench. (McClellan 14 assists, 4 to's in under half the minutes)

If Melson starts, it will mean he's made a huge jump in his understanding of how to play in the Zags' offense since the end of last season. I hope he does. His talent is undeniable, but there's a reason he didn't sniff the top 100 in spite of that talent out of hs.

This is all fine and dandy but this was also a freshman that was supposed to redshirt last year. I believe there is a misconception around Zag nation that if a freshman doesn't come in and perform like a Matt Bouldin or Blake Stepp then they're not as good as originally thought. Most college players make their largest jumps from their freshman to sophomore years. I'm confident Melson is one of those guys. Personally, I'd rather have a high volume shooter/scorer from the 2 guard spot than a high assist guy especially when you have somebody like Perkins at the point.

kitzbuel
09-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Karnowski
Wiltjer
Draino
???? EMac? Melson?
Perkins

The question of course is who backs Perkins up; Melson or EMac? Who ever isn't his backup fills in the 2 guard slot. That doesn't mean they spend all their time there, that is just where they are when the ref blows the whistle at the start of the game. It will probably change up over the season.

hooter73
09-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Youve got to think EMac will have secondary ball handling duties. There really is no other back up point guard behind Perkins. That may change the landscape a bit. I think a lot of us us the word "starting" in exchange for "majority of minutes."

NotoriousZ
09-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Youve got to think EMac will have secondary ball handling duties. There really is no other back up point guard behind Perkins. That may change the landscape a bit. I think a lot of us us the word "starting" in exchange for "majority of minutes."

For this reason, Melson may start, but I'd still have to say McClellan would still get more minutes. To clarify, Melson playing with Karnowski works slightly better because of Karno's passing ability out of the post. In reverse, McClellan is much better at feeding the post (which actually benefits all the bigs). So if you'd agree that Karno assists better than Sabonis, and Melson shoots better than McClellan, then you could see how the Melson/Karno pairing to start the game could happen.

However, I personally believe that we have enough scoring from all of the other spots. Trading assists for more shooting doesn't help us overall, IMHO.

DixieZag
09-18-2015, 03:00 PM
This is all fine and dandy but this was also a freshman that was supposed to redshirt last year. I believe there is a misconception around Zag nation that if a freshman doesn't come in and perform like a Matt Bouldin or Blake Stepp then they're not as good as originally thought. Most college players make their largest jumps from their freshman to sophomore years. I'm confident Melson is one of those guys. Personally, I'd rather have a high volume shooter/scorer from the 2 guard spot than a high assist guy especially when you have somebody like Perkins at the point.

I don't think it is a matter of not being as good as originally thought, that's not my perception of what people are saying (at least me). In fact, I see a great many here believing that Melson's ceiling may be higher than just about anyone else not named Sabonis or Perkins. What I think is worrying some is that his didn't seem to naturally understand the flow and his role in it. When he played, it seemed to me that the offense got a bit disjointed, like the teams shoes were untied.

Definitely that can be simply put on the fact he wasn't in the "role" during the whole run-up to the year, and was suddenly in a game in MSG and sort of floundered finding a role once EMac got on the floor. I would definitely think it would be miles better this year - to the point he might start. I would start EMac but a case can be made either way. But, I don't think it is a case of "as good as originally thought" - it's that EMac was better than we thought, and Melson had a weird year.

seacatfan
09-18-2015, 03:34 PM
I thought the offense got a bit disjointed at times last year whenever Karnowski wasn't in the game, regardless of who else was on the floor. That's how much of an impact his passing from the low block had. But maybe that's just me.

What a long strange trip it's been already for Melson. He got ridiculously overhyped last year before the season started. Many bought in. Then there was the not surprising backlash when he didn't live up to those unreasonable expectations. Now some are starting to build those expectations right back to where they were last year in the preseason. Me, I'm just hoping for some improvement and for him to be a contributor.

cggonzaga
09-18-2015, 05:30 PM
However, I personally believe that we have enough scoring from all of the other spots. Inserting another scorer in while losing a lot of passing ability doesn't help us overall. That's just my personal preference I guess.

I understand this and see what you're saying but what happens when the opposing team doubles and triples our bigs? We have to have some scoring from the perimeter and I think Melson is our best choice. You can enter the ball into the post all you want but if there's no room to operate it doesn't matter.

3zagda
09-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Being from Oregon, I hyped Silas last preseason, tho a little tongue in cheek: "He will be in the NBA!". I admit he did not do as well as I had hoped. As has been said earlier, SM as a sophamore will be much better this year and in future years. I also hope BA will be a big asset from the 2 and 3 positions.
I thought EMac was great last year down the stretch. I am confident he will be better and his offense will be a big asset. I see him starting in the 2 guard position, and playing point when Josh gets a breather.

NotoriousZ
09-18-2015, 06:45 PM
I understand this and see what you're saying but what happens when the opposing team doubles and triples our bigs? We have to have some scoring from the perimeter and I think Melson is our best choice. You can enter the ball into the post all you want but if there's no room to operate it doesn't matter.

I have no problem with your point of view, and Melson will see plenty of time and probably start in a portion of the games. As long as he isn't forcing bad shots like last year, it's all good. I'm sure Melson's made that Sophomore leap that's been talked about and understands much more of Few's offense. But to your point: Wiltjer, Perkins, Dranginis, and Alberts (if he's playing instead of KD) could easily shoot the open three. And it's not like McClellan is Meech, he can hit it also when it's his open look. Or he could drive it in for a better look, or he could drive and dish.

I'm actually quite happy with either of those two, they both bring so much to the team. And I'm excited to see Alberts, I haven't even seen any footage on him but I've heard so many great things. And I can't wait to see the growth in Melson and Edwards. I expect excellence out of everyone else. This is going to be fun!

Zagceo
09-18-2015, 08:21 PM
I thought the offense got a bit disjointed at times last year whenever Karnowski wasn't in the game, regardless of who else was on the floor. That's how much of an impact his passing from the low block had. But maybe that's just me.

What a long strange trip it's been already for Melson. He got ridiculously overhyped last year before the season started. Many bought in. Then there was the not surprising backlash when he didn't live up to those unreasonable expectations. Now some are starting to build those expectations right back to where they were last year in the preseason. Me, I'm just hoping for some improvement and for him to be a contributor.

Good chance we lose to Pepperdine without Melson last year. 4-4 11 points in 11 min in hostile environment.

Melson is going to be just fine IMO.

DixieZag
09-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Good chance we lose to Pepperdine without Melson last year. 4-4 11 points in 11 min in hostile environment.

Melson is going to be just fine IMO.

Great point. Agree.