PDA

View Full Version : SN Pre-Season AA Team

Angelo Roncalli
09-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Wiltjer third team. No Sabonis or Karnowski.

First Team
Ron Baker Wichita State Sr.
Malcom Brogdon Virginia Sr.
Nigel Hayes Wisconsin Jr.
Georges Niang Iowa State Sr.
Marcus Paige North Carolina Sr.

Second Team
Fred VanVleet Wichita State Sr.
Kris Dunn Providence Jr.
Yogi Ferrell Indiana Sr.
Skal Labissiere Kentucky Fr.
Wayne Selden Kansas Jr.

Third Team
Buddy Hield Oklahoma Sr.
Jamal Murray Kentucky Fr.
Ben Simmons LSU Fr.
Melo Trimble Maryland So.
Kyle Wiltjer Gonzaga Sr

hooter73
09-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Just came to post it. Not surprised by the omissions - as I dont think they really are - or Kyle being 3rd team.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Good to see Kyle get some love although not as much as many may think he deserves. Glad to only see 3 freshmen on the preseason list, though.

B Wayne
09-14-2015, 11:29 AM
I've been trying to tell this board for years that Wichita State was not lucky to win...that they had equal or better talent. It wasn't luck. They had very good talent. This is one more fact that supports my position.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-14-2015, 11:32 AM
I've been trying to tell this board for years that Wichita State was not lucky to win...that they had equal or better talent. It wasn't luck. They had very good talent. This is one more fact that supports my position.

I know they are/were very good, doesn't mean they didn't luck out as well. Nice to see them sustain some success, it would've hurt if they did that and just disappeared.

Bogozags
09-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Angelo,

Those are good players BUT don't see how he is not on the second team...I believe he will, if we can keep all our players healthy, in the top three for the Wooden Award. I feel Ron Baker, Wayne Selden, Georges Niang and Kyle Wiltjer will all be in the running...think it might come down to how well their teams do this season but Selden and Niang from Big Five schools probably have an inside track...imo

sittingon50
09-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Wich.St. certainly was/is good, but will have to disagree with you on both points, BW.

SunDevilGolfZag
09-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Wichita State beat us fair and square but they were darn lucky that GBJ didn't play the second half

DixieZag
09-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I don't know enough about the landscape of college BB to be really critical, but it is a little hard to understand how a guy who can stretch a defense, shoot at that percentage, score that many points, can only rise to pre-season third team.

seacatfan
09-14-2015, 12:07 PM
That's got to be the most underwhelming pre-season 1st team AA list I've ever seen! Good players no doubt, but nothing remotely close to a superstar amongst them. Is this going to be a seriously lackluster year in college bball?

maynard g krebs
09-14-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't know enough about the landscape of college BB to be really critical, but it is a little hard to understand how a guy who can stretch a defense, shoot at that percentage, score that many points, can only rise to pre-season third team.

East coast bias. I looked at Lindy's and Athlon yesterday, and I think it was Athlon that had KW second team.

And one of them, again I think Athlon, had their 5 man AA fr, soph, jr, sr teams with KW on the all senior team and DS on the all-soph team.

Lindy's lists top 25 by position. They called KW a sf and put him at number 2 for the position, and had DS as #4 pf and PK as #5 c.

And for you and Jazz, among others- one of the mags quotes Few as saying the skill sets of all 3 have progressed to the point where he plans to play all 3 together at times.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-14-2015, 12:32 PM

The thing that really confuses me is putting Niang above Wiljter. I get Labissiere but Niang? That makes me lol. Wiljter can literally do everything Niang does except Kyle does it at a higher clip

MDABE80
09-14-2015, 12:37 PM
So Kyle leads the nation in scoring. He'll be an AA 1st team. I'm betting on it. Nobody can score from so many areas like he does. They'll have to rethink it. Not sure he'll be Adam's 28 ppg but he can do 25 ppg. Get this boy the ball!!

CDC84
09-14-2015, 01:12 PM
That's got to be the most underwhelming pre-season 1st team AA list I've ever seen! Good players no doubt, but nothing remotely close to a superstar amongst them.

The same thing could be said for the preseason top 10 teams. It's a very underwhelming field this year. TSN's #1 team is Kansas. They won't be as good as Kentucky, Duke, Wisconsin and several of the other heavyweights from last season.

gonzagafan62
09-14-2015, 01:12 PM
BWayne,

Wichita Stre had equal talent in that game AFTER bell broke his foot. Before that, they didn't and we had a comfy lead

seacatfan
09-14-2015, 01:28 PM
The same thing could be said for the preseason top 10 teams. It's a very underwhelming field this year. TSN's #1 team is Kansas. They won't be as good as Kentucky, Duke, Wisconsin and several of the other heavyweights from last season.

Yeah, Kansas doesn't inspire me at all. I've seen North Carolina and Maryland both projected as #1 as well. Good but not remotely close to great teams. This year should be wide open. Why not Gonzaga to cut the nets down? I won't be at all surprised if someone comes from absolutely nowhere to win it all like UConn did 2 years ago.

willandi
09-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Only player west of Kansas. Nobody on the east coast bothers to watch west coast basketball unless they have interest in a particular team. It's nice that Kyle has made a big enough impression that they would stoop to include him.

SteelZag
09-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Gee Maynard, I thought your post contained some of the best news of the summer. If they indeed play all 3 at the same time and KW plays over 30 mpg he should easily score over 20 ppg which would keep him in the national spotlight.

cggonzaga
09-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Not sure he'll be Adam's 28 ppg but he can do 25 ppg. Get this boy the ball!!

As great as Kyle is I just don't see him averaging 20ppg on this team. Too many good players that will get theirs as well. I could see an Olynk season though which should get him on player of the year honors as well as 1st team AA.

maynard g krebs
09-15-2015, 12:17 AM
As great as Kyle is I just don't see him averaging 20ppg on this team. Too many good players that will get theirs as well. I could see an Olynk season though which should get him on player of the year honors as well as 1st team AA.

Agree.