PDA

View Full Version : Two random questions

IdahoTJR
09-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Question 1

I know that in the past, the team had to do a 10-mile run in under a certain time at the beginning of the practice season. Does Few still have them do that?

Question 2

When traveling, are the players able to "attend" classes via the internet? Thus reducing the impact of missed class time.

Gonzdb8
09-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Question 1

I know that in the past, the team had to do a 10-mile run in under a certain time at the beginning of the practice season. Does Few still have them do that?

Question 2

When traveling, are the players able to "attend" classes via the internet? Thus reducing the impact of missed class time.

- I don't know the answer to #1.
- as for #2, thats up the professor of each course. as powerful as the athletic department is even they can't force a prof to adopt an online component to a course just to accommodate athletes travel schedules. some profs will make allowances for athletic travel, others will not. in cases of the latter student athletes either need to drop those classes and replace them with classes that will accommodate OR they just need to be sure they are within the allowable number of unexcused absences for a course.

Birddog
09-08-2015, 04:03 PM
It was a run alright, but I'm pretty sure it was NOT a 10 mile run. IIRC, it was 2 miles but I could be wrong.

Nevada Don
09-08-2015, 05:21 PM
FWIW, SMC requires a 5:30 mile run maximum for the guards and forwards and a 5:45 mile run for centers and power forwards.
I once had the runs for 24 hours straight which apparently wasn't good enough to qualify for anything.

SLOZag
09-08-2015, 05:24 PM
FWIW, SMC requires a 5:30 mile run maximum for the guards and forwards and a 5:45 mile run for centers and power forwards.
I once had the runs for 24 hours straight which apparently wasn't good enough to qualify for anything.

:)

DixieZag
09-08-2015, 05:26 PM

That, is a really impressive pace, at least to me.

MDABE80
09-08-2015, 06:18 PM
High School in full dress at G Prep. Every year. backs in 530 and linemen at 6 min. I'm thinking college kids in a far more aerobic sport should be able to do what Don says.

ZagsObserver
09-08-2015, 08:38 PM

That is highly improbable. Most centers and forwards would be unable to do that. In fact, I'm not sure you would want your centers to be able to run at that clip, as it would probably mean their body mass was not where it needed to be .

23dpg
09-08-2015, 10:05 PM
That is highly improbable. Most centers and forwards would be unable to do that. In fact, I'm not sure you would want your centers to be able to run at that clip, as it would probably mean their body mass was not where it needed to be .

It has been reported that Will Foster was one of the fastest milers on the GU team when he played. 7'5" and ran sub 6 minute miles.

Ekrub
09-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Absolutely no way samhan ran a 5:45

kitzbuel
09-09-2015, 03:44 AM

Put him at the top of a mile long hill with a doughnut at the bottom 😎

Zagger
09-09-2015, 04:21 AM
It has been reported that Will Foster was one of the fastest milers on the GU team when he played. 7'5" and ran sub 6 minute miles.

At 7'5" it'd be about 10 strides to a 100 yards. Falling down running would get ya at least another 10 yards. Foster could look slow but cover ground quickly ;-)

sittingon50
09-09-2015, 07:53 AM

By his Sr. year I'll bet he did. Bottom line, these guys are D1 athlete's.

ZagsObserver
09-09-2015, 09:42 AM

He didn't and Foster didn't run sub 6. These stories have a way of operating like a game of telephone

ZagsObserver
09-09-2015, 09:51 AM

That's like saying a football player should be able to be a better than average gymnast, and any gymnast could be a better than average football player simply because they are high level athletes. Different sports require different body types.

sittingon50
09-09-2015, 10:13 AM
And most basketball players have the build & cardio to translate to distance.

ZagsObserver
09-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Guards would translate, SF, maybe, but not your larger Forwards and Centers.

maynard g krebs
09-09-2015, 11:31 AM
When I played bottom level, non-scholarship NAIA soccer in the mid-70's, during training camp each day we ran 3 miles in 20-21 minutes at the end of a 2 hour practice. Staying with the pack was a prerequisite for playing time.

I'm a shade under 5-10 with short legs and a relatively unathletic body for someone who played organized team sports, and I could run a mile in just over 6;00 then.

My brother, who was a skinny 6-3 in hs, was a basketball benchwarmer and ran the mile in 5:10-5:15 regularly in hs track meets.

The St Mary's times seem reasonable; any D1 guy in baseline shape can do that.

ZagsObserver
09-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Well, yes, soccer players should no doubt be able to do that and a skinny build is conducive to distance running.

Nevada Don
09-09-2015, 12:06 PM
The person who gave me the SMC mile info is one of the Top Tier posters on GIAG. This subject is discussed every year. I am NOT 100% positive the info is accurate but I'd bet 100 GU Samhan insults against it. If I hear anything different on the times, I'll post it.

Nevada Don
09-09-2015, 12:12 PM
The person who gave me the SMC mile info is one of the Top Tier posters on GIAG. This subject is discussed every year. I am NOT 100% positive the info is accurate but I'd bet 100 GU Samhan insults against it. If I hear anything different on the times, I'll post it.

I just received some additional information on this subject. You can take it for what it's worth but the person that records the basketball players run times is the same person that operates the game time clock when the Gaels play Gonzaga. :cheers:

maynard g krebs
09-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Well, yes, soccer players should no doubt be able to do that and a skinny build is conducive to distance running.

My brother was 6'3, maybe 160 lbs of bones and skin in hs. (He's 240 of gut overhang now, lol.) Fit athletes of his height with more muscle, Perkins Melson McC Dranginis et al should easily be able to match or beat his hs time.

ZagsObserver
09-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Well, first of all, there is an adverse relationship between muscle and distance running. Skin and bone is ideal. The more weight, the slower you'll run as far as distance running is concerned. And there us no correlation between skill level and distance running. I would give whitworth basketball players a 50% chance of running faster miles than GU.

kitzbuel
09-09-2015, 03:46 PM
FWIW, Livestrong says average NCAA basketball player finishes the mile in 5:40: http://www.livestrong.com/article/430460-the-average-speed-of-a-basketball-player/

Tarheel times from last year support that: http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/9/26/6849389/basketball-team-completes-annual-mile-run

ZagsObserver
09-09-2015, 07:02 PM
FWIW, Livestrong says average NCAA basketball player finishes the mile in 5:40: http://www.livestrong.com/article/430460-the-average-speed-of-a-basketball-player/

Tarheel times from last year support that: http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/9/26/6849389/basketball-team-completes-annual-mile-run

Right, guards and small forwards should be able to accomplish that. Big men won't likely. So, about 60% of the team. The Tarheel numbers are consistent with this. BIG difference between guards and big men.

mgadfly
09-10-2015, 07:30 AM
What happens if Wiltjer doesn't meet the mile time? We play the season without him?

ProjectMKUltra5
09-10-2015, 07:53 AM
What happens if Wiltjer doesn't meet the mile time? We play the season without him?

His *** is gunna run til he meets that time lol

Angelo Roncalli
09-10-2015, 09:03 AM
The 10 mile run was Fitz's deal. The route started on campus then East on Boone to Mission Park, through Mission Park to Upriver Drive, then North on Upriver Drive past Washington Water Power (Avista), continuing North on Upriver Drive past the dam and back. I led the run a couple of years in the late 70's and early 80's. It wasn't timed, the players just had to finish.

I am highly, highly skeptical on Omar Samhan ever having run a 5:30 mile. That's 67 second quarter splits...no way.

sittingon50
09-10-2015, 09:47 AM
The 10 mile run was Fitz's deal. The route started on campus then East on Boone to Mission Park, through Mission Park to Upriver Drive, then North on Upriver Drive past Washington Water Power (Avista), continuing North on Upriver Drive past the dam and back. I led the run a couple of years in the late 70's and early 80's. It wasn't timed, the players just had to finish.

I am highly, highly skeptical on Omar Samhan ever having run a 5:30 mile. That's 67 second quarter splits...no way.

Your math is off, my friend.

Angelo Roncalli
09-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Your math is off, my friend.

Indeed 1.22.5 quarter splits (that's what I get for trying to do math on a cell phone). Still, no way.

gonstu
09-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Add Waldow to that list - no way.

sittingon50
09-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Indeed 1.22.5 quarter splits (that's what I get for trying to do math on a cell phone). Still, no way.

As I stated earlier, by his Sr. year I'll bet he did. He really changed his body over the course of his career.

My point of reference is myself. I ran a 5:30 in HS ( in JC Penney canvas shoes!!) as a 5'7" baseball player. The extent of my training was run 90' & turn left.

kitzbuel
09-10-2015, 12:33 PM

I remember being somewhat surprised and a bit impressed that they had to do that. Of course I used to knockout 10 miles during lunch back then - XC team.