PDA

View Full Version : ESPN WCC Schedule

Angelo Roncalli
09-03-2015, 09:02 AM
WEST COAST CONFERENCE MEN’S BASKETBALL ON ESPN NETWORKS

Friday, November 13
Gonzaga vs. Pittsburgh, 4 p.m. – Armed Forces Classic (ESPN)

Monday, November 16
BYU at Long Beach State, 10:45 p.m. – Tip-Off Marathon (ESPN2)

Sunday, November 22
Stanford at Saint Mary’s, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Thursday, November 26
Santa Clara vs. Arizona, 8:30 p.m. – Wooden Legacy (ESPN2)

Friday, November 27
Santa Clara vs. TBD, TBA – Wooden Legacy (ESPN networks)

Sunday, November 29
Santa Clara vs. TBD, TBA – Wooden Legacy (ESPN networks)

Saturday, December 5
Arizona at Gonzaga, 12:15 p.m. – (ESPN)

Saturday, December 12
UCLA at Gonzaga, 7 p.m. – (ESPN2)

Saturday, December 19
Tennessee vs. Gonzaga, 8 p.m. – Battle in Seattle (ESPNU)

Monday, December 21
*Pepperdine at Gonzaga, 6 p.m. (ESPN2)

Tuesday, December 22
BYU vs. Harvard, 2 p.m. – Diamond Head Classic (ESPNU)

Wednesday, December 23
*Pepperdine at Portland, 6 p.m. (ESPNU)
BYU vs. TBD, TBA – Diamond Head Classic (ESPN Networks)

Friday, December 25
BYU vs. TBD, TBA – Diamond Head Classic (ESPN Networks)

Thursday, December 31
*BYU at Saint Mary’s, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Saturday, January 2
*Gonzaga at San Francisco, 8 p.m. (ESPN2)

Thursday, January 7
*Santa Clara at BYU, 9 p.m. MT (ESPNU)

Thursday, January 14
*BYU at Gonzaga, 6 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2)
*Pacific at Saint Mary’s, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Thursday, January 21
*Gonzaga at Saint Mary’s, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Thursday, January 28
*LMU at BYU, 9 p.m. MT (ESPNU)

Saturday, January 30
*Pepperdine at BYU, 8 p.m. MT (ESPN2)

Thursday, February 4
*Portland at Pepperdine, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Saturday, February 6
*Gonzaga at Pepperdine, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)

Thursday, February 11
*Gonzaga at Portland, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Saturday, February 13
Gonzaga at SMU, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

Thursday, February 18
*BYU at San Diego, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Saturday, February 20
*Saint Mary’s at Gonzaga, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

Thursday, February 25
*Portland at BYU, 9 p.m. MT (ESPNU)

Saturday, February 27
*Gonzaga at BYU, TBD (ESPN or ESPN2)

Saturday, March 5
West Coast Conference Basketball Championship Quarterfinals, 7:00 p.m. / 9:00 p.m.
(both games on ESPN2)

Monday, March 7
West Coast Conference Basketball Championship Semifinal 1, 6:00 p.m. (ESPN)
West Coast Conference Basketball Championship Semifinal 2, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Tuesday, March 8
West Coast Conference Basketball Championship Final, 6:00 p.m. (ESPN)

*Denotes West Coast Conference game
All times are Pacific, unless noted, and are subject to change. View the most current interactive schedule on WCCsports.com.

hooter73
09-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Too St. Marys is so down, that early game vs Stanford could have been decent.

seacatfan
09-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Too St. Marys is so down, that early game vs Stanford could have been decent.

Surprised that game is happening at all. I thought Stanford flat out refused to play the Cal schools in the WCC, especially going on the road to do it.

SteelZag
09-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Wow, interesting little stretch starting on 2/7 with games @Pepperdine, @Portland and @SMU, all within a week.

Thanks Angelo.

exclusivelee
09-03-2015, 09:44 AM
They did notably leave the matchup with UDub off the press release. It shows that it will be on ESPN here:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/83056cc9aa3d322d841b44c733a8a51b.jpg

If we beat UDub in the Bahamas, we are guaranteed 2 more games on ESPN

DixieZag
09-03-2015, 09:53 AM
That UW game is a big one in terms of perception. I have to admit to some worry based solely upon them being able to come in with zero expectations and just let it role. I think our guys have to worry more about the OOC schedule, and being the heavy favorite in the game.

We should win easily. I am just a worrier when it comes to GU BB. I worried AZ would blow us out by 30, and I worried we'd cough up the last possession.

primal23
09-03-2015, 10:39 AM
That UW game is a big one in terms of perception. I have to admit to some worry based solely upon them being able to come in with zero expectations and just let it role. I think our guys have to worry more about the OOC schedule, and being the heavy favorite in the game.

We should win easily. I am just a worrier when it comes to GU BB. I worried AZ would blow us out by 30, and I worried we'd cough up the last possession.

I worry about the UW game solely because of the early nature and a slightly unproven backcourt. Perkins played well in the few games he was available, but big stage and the unknown of UWs players. But at least romar is still coach.

seacatfan
09-03-2015, 11:08 AM
UW's ENTIRE TEAM other than Andrews is unproven. GU is anchored by a very talented, experienced frontcourt and McClellan and Dranginis are veterans in the backcourt to help out the younger guys. I don't understand the handwringing over this game. Yeah it's early in the season, and UW has umpteen freshmen, how are they going to be ready?

gonzagafan62
09-03-2015, 11:14 AM
UW's ENTIRE TEAM other than Andrews is unproven. GU is anchored by a very talented, experienced frontcourt and McClellan and Dranginis are veterans in the backcourt to help out the younger guys. I don't understand the handwringing over this game. Yeah it's early in the season, and UW has umpteen freshmen, how are they going to be ready?

They'll be ready to play. At least in the first half. I think it doesn't really matter. When you hate a team like these two do, throw the records out the window. Why does Gonzaga always struggle against San Francsisco? Washington Sate? It doesn't matter how much talent there is or isn't. The games are more often than not close. I don't know how you don't get that being a zag fan this long. Unless it's inside the kennel it will be close

Zagdawg
09-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Our Zags in qty 17 of 36 WCC games on ESPN--(with 3 WCC tournament games)-- not bad at all.

seacatfan
09-03-2015, 01:16 PM
They'll be ready to play. At least in the first half. I think it doesn't really matter. When you hate a team like these two do, throw the records out the window. Why does Gonzaga always struggle against San Francsisco? Washington Sate? It doesn't matter how much talent there is or isn't. The games are more often than not close. I don't know how you don't get that being a zag fan this long. Unless it's inside the kennel it will be close

Seems like there were quite a few lopsided games both in the Kennel and Hec Ed when they were playing on a yearly basis. Maybe with the time off between games it's changed, but I would guess it was more of a rivalry game for Gonzaga than UW back then.

Close games against USF and Wazzu, yeah sometimes those are headscratchers. I do get the "throw out the records for a rivalry game" cliche, but sometimes the team with vastly more talent shouldn't struggle that much to win.

CDC84
09-03-2015, 01:24 PM
An odd bit in the schedule: 12/19 Tennessee (Seattle), 12/21 Pepperdine, 12/23 LMU. 3 games in less than a week. GU has to play an SEC team in Seattle and then turn around and face the 2nd best team in league, without any students around, to kick off league play. Thank goodness the game against Tennessee is in Seattle.

In case you are wondering, the roundtrip from Spokane to Okinawa and back is 12,000 miles.

The staff isn't going to be happy with the fact that GU has to play a late Thursday night game at Portland and then travel over 2,000 miles to play at SMU on Saturday. I know the staff has griped about this in the past. They would prefer an earlier start time for the Thursday night game against Portland or to play the game on Wednesday night.

seacatfan
09-03-2015, 01:31 PM
'06 GU 99 UW 77 (Spokane)
'05 UW 99 GU 95 (Seattle)
'04 GU 99 UW 87 (Spokane)
'03 GU 86 UW 62 (Seattle)
'02 GU 95 UW 89 (Spokane) overtime
'01 GU 67 UW 47 (Seattle)
'00 GU 86 UW 74 (Spokane)
'99 GU 76 UW 66 (Seattle)
'98 GU 82 UW 71 (Spokane)

All but 2 of the games during the 8-1 stretch were double digit margins and 2 of the 3 biggest winning margins for GU were in Seattle. You were saying?

CDC84
09-03-2015, 01:37 PM
And the only reason GU lost the game at UW in '05 was due to Raivio getting fouled hard in the 1st half and having to leave the game. It was Pargo's first road game as a college point guard, and he made a number of critical errors.

Bogozags
09-03-2015, 05:01 PM
'06 GU 99 UW 77 (Spokane)
'05 UW 99 GU 95 (Seattle)
'04 GU 99 UW 87 (Spokane)
'03 GU 86 UW 62 (Seattle)
'02 GU 95 UW 89 (Spokane) overtime
'01 GU 67 UW 47 (Seattle)
'00 GU 86 UW 74 (Spokane)
'99 GU 76 UW 66 (Seattle)
'98 GU 82 UW 71 (Spokane)

All but 2 of the games during the 8-1 stretch were double digit margins and 2 of the 3 biggest winning margins for GU were in Seattle. You were saying?

I am curious to know what forced UW to renew the series, does anybody KNOW?

DixieZag
09-03-2015, 05:18 PM
To get back to the thread topic, I hadn't fully appreciated the potential for travel lag on so many occasions. The Japan trip is a once in a lifetime experience and a wonderful surprise gift to our kids. But, I doubt "our" plane has the range to get there, I suspect the organizers pay for the teams to fly commercial, and so if you're a basketball player, that's 10 hours each way scrunched into a tiny seat with time zone changes making it seem like you're playing at 5:00 a.m. Then off to the Bahamas - adrenaline alone will probably be fine for the first game, then. . . The perceptive mention of Portland being a late game - I suppose that has to be TV related b/c I doubt the conference wants to hurt us.

Someone in the program knows the best way to stay fresh in these situations. That person will be very challenged.

SteelZag
09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
To get back to the thread topic, I hadn't fully appreciated the potential for travel lag on so many occasions. The Japan trip is a once in a lifetime experience and a wonderful surprise gift to our kids. But, I doubt "our" plane has the range to get there, I suspect the organizers pay for the teams to fly commercial, and so if you're a basketball player, that's 10 hours each way scrunched into a tiny seat with time zone changes making it seem like you're playing at 5:00 a.m. Then off to the Bahamas - adrenaline alone will probably be fine for the first game, then. . . The perceptive mention of Portland being a late game - I suppose that has to be TV related b/c I doubt the conference wants to hurt us.

Someone in the program knows the best way to stay fresh in these situations. That person will be very challenged.

Speaking of early games, won't their game against Pitt be like 7 or 8 in the morning?

KStyles
09-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Speaking of early games, won't their game against Pitt be like 7 or 8 in the morning?

WA will be observing PST after Nov 1st, so Nov. 13 will be UTC -8, and Okinawa time is UTC +8 (according to wikipedia, and they don't observe DST), so yeah, it'll be 8am.