PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Jones--- Walk on?

zagsfanforlife
09-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Kyle Wiltjer posted a team photo today from their team photoshoot and Jeremy Jones, formerly of Rice University was tagged in the photo. Anyone know if he is a walk on? Looked up his stats and they were only a few ppg. while also playing qb for the Owls.

sittingon50
09-02-2015, 03:03 PM
1st I've heard, zffl. This young man?

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeremy_jones_938590.html

DukeSilver
09-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Was wondering the same thing ...

VinnyZag
09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Tweets from Meehan:

Jim Meehan @SRJimm
Interesting addition to Gonzaga's roster: walk-on 6-5 wing Jeremy Jones. Redshirt QB at Rice last season, then joined basketball team ...

Jim Meehan @SRJimm
Jones played in 24 games, avg. 14.4 minutes, 2.2 points, 2.8 rebounds in sixth-man role. Dad dad played football at Houston.

NotoriousZ
09-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Available this year, or next?

VinnyZag
09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Available this year, or next?

Subsequent Tweet from Meehan:

Jones will sit out this season under NCAA transfer rules. His basketball bio from Rice here:

DixieZag
09-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Was he part of a 3 way football-basketball-really smart guys trade with the UW?

ProjectMKUltra5
09-02-2015, 04:50 PM
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/352860/highlights/119038375/v2 (basketball)

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/352860/highlights/94576391/v2 (football)

His football film is better then his basketball, imo. Extremely raw as a QB but I can see how a school like Rice would take a chance on him.

Worthington
09-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Got some length and seems good on defence. Should be able to make things tough on the guys in practice

webspinnre
09-02-2015, 05:18 PM
6-5 wing as a redshirt then a walk-on? That sounds worthwhile.

exclusivelee
09-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Here's an article on him:

“I would definitely say there’s a difference in football and basketball shape,” Jones said. “In the first two weeks of [basketball] practice I was dying, and Coach [Rhoades] would be running me up and down the court. Eventually, he got me in shape and I got ready to go.”

“I would say the footwork is similar: You have to have good footwork as a forward and as a quarterback,” Jones said. “Sometimes as a forward you have to make passes, and that’s also the job of a quarterback.”

Jones’ transition to two-sport NCAA athlete has made the little time he gets between seasons all the more important. Unfortunately, Jones’ past off-season was consumed by re- habilitation from shoulder surgery, which he delayed until the conclusion of his senior high school basketball season, further complicating his schedule.

“It was very tough,” Jones said. “I played my senior year of high school and had the surgery right after it. Coach Bailiff had an eye on it and everything. When I got here I was just doing re- hab every day. The strength training staff was really good, and they got me ready to go.”

More at the link: http://www.ricethresher.org/sports/jeremy-jones-transitions-between-two-sports/article_4798e14e-c9ea-11e4-9e2a-a34dd967d27c.html

Here's his gamelog: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jeremy-jones-4/gamelog/2015/

Low minutes to begin (probably due to conditioning as mentioned in article), but then played at least 10 mpg the rest of the year

His last 6 games: 20.5 min, 3.7 pts, 5.3 reb (1.3 Oreb, 4 Dreb), 1.0 stl, 0.5 blk, 0.3 ast, 58.3% FG

sittingon50
09-02-2015, 07:05 PM
National Honor Society member in HS. Works for me.

gonzagafan62
09-02-2015, 07:22 PM
This guy will e a nice role player for us in the future I think. Especially going to just one sport. I like the pickup.

Kiddwell
09-02-2015, 07:34 PM
...got connected with the Zags. Lots of b-ball schools in Texas.

Welcome, Jeremy!

:]

Mantua
09-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Pretty cool get for the Zags. I see potential.

Welcome Jeremy!

zagirl2k
09-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Was he part of a 3 way football-basketball-really smart guys trade with the UW?

I think of it more as a reverse Meech move.

hooter73
09-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Wow, another rabbit pops out of the hat. Welcome aboard!

Zagdawg
09-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the Zag family!

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-03-2015, 02:02 AM
I wish he could play right away, but he should be a nice addition for the future. This is great news for Gonzaga.

TexasZagFan
09-03-2015, 04:45 AM
...got connected with the Zags. Lots of b-ball schools in Texas.

Welcome, Jeremy!

Not really. Football is king, and hoops are far, far behind. When the coach at LSU (Johnny Jones) was at North Texas, he was quoted saying he wanted to build his program like ours. He took UNT about as far as it could go, i.e. making the dance, and then LSU called.

Outside of UTEP, UT, A&M, and SMU (thanks to Larry Brown), that's about it for the second largest state in the country. BTW, UTEP remains the only team to win the NCAA, and that was 50 years ago.

raise the zag
09-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Interesting...wonder why he chose Gonzaga?

From college football QB to a basketball only school several states away. Obviously giving up on football, but to the extreme.

exclusivelee
09-03-2015, 06:24 AM
Outside of UTEP, UT, A&M, and SMU (thanks to Larry Brown), that's about it for the second largest state in the country.

I'd add in Baylor and Stephen F. Austin too.

Baylor has been to the NCAA tournament 5 times since 2008, including Elite 8 appearances in 2012 and 2010, and a Sweet 16 in 2014

SFA has had 6 conference regular season titles since 2008 and 3 NCAA tournament appearances, including a round of 64 upset over VCU in 2014. They've combined for a 61-8 record over the last 2 seasons. Former Zag walk-on Stephen Gentry is on staff at SFA

TexasZagFan
09-03-2015, 10:12 AM
I'd add in Baylor and Stephen F. Austin too.

Baylor has been to the NCAA tournament 5 times since 2008, including Elite 8 appearances in 2012 and 2010, and a Sweet 16 in 2014

SFA has had 6 conference regular season titles since 2008 and 3 NCAA tournament appearances, including a round of 64 upset over VCU in 2014. They've combined for a 61-8 record over the last 2 seasons. Former Zag walk-on Stephen Gentry is on staff at SFA

Oops...good catch. I should have included those two. I'm a bit too wrapped up in HS football now. My son's first game is next Tuesday, and the HS has its homecoming game next week. It's going to be a busy weekend, as our annual parish carnival is that weekend.

O/T, but we're in the same district as two perennial powerhouses, Euless Trinity & Southlake Carroll. Trinity defeated De La Salle of Northern CA last week. Our reward for finishing third, as projected? A likely first round date with Desoto, usually ranked in the top 20 nationally. Football in DFW is a spectacle, marching bands with over 300 musicians, drill teams with over members.

Last year, our school had two freshman teams and two JV teams, in addition to the varsity. Our 3 middle schools field two teams each at the 7th and 8th grade level. Flag football starts at 5 years old...SMH. Every one on my side of the family just shakes their head. lol

Zagnailler
09-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Not really. Football is king, and hoops are far, far behind. When the coach at LSU (Johnny Jones) was at North Texas, he was quoted saying he wanted to build his program like ours. He took UNT about as far as it could go, i.e. making the dance, and then LSU called.

Outside of UTEP, UT, A&M, and SMU (thanks to Larry Brown), that's about it for the second largest state in the country. BTW, UTEP remains the only team to win the NCAA, and that was 50 years ago.

With occasional spurts by Houston and Lamar.

229SintoZag
09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
I like any kid who played football at Rice. Rice plays Texas on the gridiron every year. Underdog to say the least. Texas has skipped the game a bit the past decade or so but by and large they still play a lot. Rice has won a total of twice since 1966. Once in my lifetime, and I am 42. But they still show up and play. Rice is the smallest school in Division 1-A football or something close to it in terms of size of student body. Texas is obviously a behemoth.

But that experience (playing at a school like Rice, where you get your you know what handed to you on a regular basis) has to help develop a good shoulder chip that should help out as a Zag. Reminds me of one of my favorite speeches from JFK: why, indeed, does Rice play Texas? People always remember the rest of the speech. But they tend to leave out the nice college football reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RaRC6YuYCQ

Kiddwell
09-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Was actually referencing the number of D1 programs in the Lone Star State, not the quality of basketball there. Lotta schools to choose from. Instead, Jeremy chooses Zags. Interesting.

TexasZagFan
09-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Was actually referencing the number of D1 programs in the Lone Star State, not the quality of basketball there. Lotta schools to choose from. Instead, Jeremy chooses Zags. Interesting.

A factor could have been school size, most of those Texas schools are behemoths. SMU & Baylor are 11K & 16K respectively, i.e. not that big, but twice the size of Rice, 3X GU.

He made the academic honor roll, a definite plus.

I'm sure we'll hear more about him soon, appears to be a great addition to the program. Quite a leap of faith, going 2100 miles from home as a walk on.

Definitely appears to be Zag material.

TexasZagFan
09-03-2015, 12:03 PM
I like any kid who played football at Rice. Rice plays Texas on the gridiron every year. Underdog to say the least. Texas has skipped the game a bit the past decade or so but by and large they still play a lot. Rice has won a total of twice since 1966. Once in my lifetime, and I am 42. But they still show up and play. Rice is the smallest school in Division 1-A football or something close to it in terms of size of student body. Texas is obviously a behemoth.

But that experience (playing at a school like Rice, where you get your you know what handed to you on a regular basis) has to help develop a good shoulder chip that should help out as a Zag. Reminds me of one of my favorite speeches from JFK: why, indeed, does Rice play Texas? People always remember the rest of the speech. But they tend to leave out the nice college football reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RaRC6YuYCQ

Why does Rice play Texas? So they get to know the people who will be working for them in ten years.

Zagdawg
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
The fast food jokes are not nice........... but someone needs to bring me my burger and someone needs to manage them I guess. ;)

zag67
09-04-2015, 06:46 AM
I think that he will be a super addition to this team. Even this year he will help to improve the players with his size, athleticism, and his football aggression. Working with the two Williams and Edwards on the Scott squad this can do nothing but make our starters better prepared for tough games. Next year will be a wait and see. He needs to improve many things but concentrating totally on basketball and studies will help.