PDA

View Full Version : Rivals Top 150 Updated: 9/2/2015

CDC84
09-02-2015, 01:37 PM
https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-3375/2016

#32 Collins
#50 Bailey
#95 Norvell
#98 Mathews

It will be interesting to see if GU decides to go after both Norvell and Mathews, or just one of them. Both are considered off guards. Norvell is 6-6, Mathews 6-2.

cggonzaga
09-02-2015, 02:04 PM
WHAT!?! Bailey's not a top 50 prospect!!! ;)

hooter73
09-02-2015, 02:35 PM
[url]
It will be interesting to see if GU decides to go after both Norvell and Mathews, or just one of them. Both are considered off guards. Norvell is 6-6, Mathews 6-2.

History says we'll target the shorter guy lol

GrizZAG
09-02-2015, 05:56 PM

First thing that came to my mind too. HA!

GoZags
09-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Corey Kispert checked in at number 79 in today's Scout.com Top 100 that was released today. FWIW there's a very good chance this kid becomes a Zag.

hooter73
09-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Kispert doesn't look half bad... nice!

TexasZagFan
09-03-2015, 04:38 AM

I thought we targeted the guys with the best hair.

One of my coworkers is a big Duke fan. It gets kind of annoying when he points out Duke's recruits are all in the top 50. He didn't like my comment yesterday when I noticed their latest recruit is from Utah, and he's forgoing his mission to play at Duke. I told him it wouldn't surprise me if the Angel Moroni put a curse on Duke for that.

willandi
09-03-2015, 07:16 AM
I thought we targeted the guys with the best hair.

One of my coworkers is a big Duke fan. It gets kind of annoying when he points out Duke's recruits are all in the top 50. He didn't like my comment yesterday when I noticed their latest recruit is from Utah, and he's forgoing his mission to play at Duke. I told him it wouldn't surprise me if the Angel Moroni put a curse on Duke for that.

Did he get the joke?

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-03-2015, 07:19 AM
Corey Kispert checked in at number 79 in today's Scout.com Top 100 that was released today. FWIW there's a very good chance this kid becomes a Zag.

Wonder how Zags bringing in the 6'5" wing Jeremy Jones, who after sitting out this year will have 3 years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2016-17 season, may impact chances of landing Kispert.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Kispert is a consolation prize if we can't nab Nowell or Davis

Bogozags
09-03-2015, 07:36 AM

It is pretty common knowledge that tall SG's just don't work out at GU, so why recruit them...wasted energy wouldn't you say...Oh, wait a minute, we've never had one so maybe they just might work out...there could always be a first time for everything!

GoZags
09-03-2015, 08:07 AM

Disagree completely with this statement. Completely.

Reborn
09-03-2015, 08:14 AM

I think Steven Gray was ranked around #70 going into his senior year.

hooter73
09-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Wonder how Zags bringing in the 6'5" wing Jeremy Jones, who after sitting out this year will have 3 years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2016-17 season, may impact chances of landing Kispert.

I very much doubt it will effect much. Jones, while intriguing, was not exactly an impact player at a top program. He may develop into a role player down the line but its not going to keep a top 100 recruit from coming to a perennial top 25 place like GU.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-03-2015, 09:17 AM

By every conceivable metric Nowell and Davis are on another level from Kispert. Davis and Nowell both project as high major gurds with huge upsides (and the offers to match) whereas Kispert is viewed as a 3point/hustle guy with a limited ceiling.

I like Kispert and think he deserves the attention he's gotten over the summer. There's something to be said about guys with his skill set, every team needs a guy like him(including ours), but he isn't in the same ballpark as the other two.

sittingon50
09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
It is pretty common knowledge that tall SG's just don't work out at GU, so why recruit them...wasted energy wouldn't you say...Oh, wait a minute, we've never had one so maybe they just might work out...there could always be a first time for everything!

Bouldin? Not tall enough or not SG enough, bogo?

maynard g krebs
09-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Did Davis decommit from UW? He was committed there last I heard.

cggonzaga
09-03-2015, 10:25 AM
By every conceivable metric Nowell and Davis are on another level from Kispert. Davis and Nowell both project as high major gurds with huge upsides (and the offers to match) whereas Kispert is viewed as a 3point/hustle guy with a limited ceiling.

I like Kispert and think he deserves the attention he's gotten over the summer. There's something to be said about guys with his skill set, every team needs a guy like him(including ours), but he isn't in the same ballpark as the other two.

Couldn't disagree more. Plus Kispert is 2017 and I don't believe he's done growing while already at 6'5". The kid can stroke it with good athleticism. I'd take him at the 3 in a heartbeat.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Couldn't disagree more. Plus Kispert is 2017 and I don't believe he's done growing while already at 6'5". The kid can stroke it with good athleticism. I'd take him at the 3 in a heartbeat.

Rank the 3 in order, best to worst in your opinion. Same to GoZags

cggonzaga
09-03-2015, 02:56 PM
I apologize. I was mistaking Norvell and Nowell. However, I wouldn't agree Davis and Nowell are on a different planet from Kispert. Are they better? Yes I would say they are. I would definitely be happy with any of the 3 however (yes I know Davis isn't available).

Bogozags
09-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Bouldin? Not tall enough or not SG enough, bogo?

So what are you trying to say, I forgot about him? Huh! Well, I did completely! :)

There might of been a "few" more guys too (Richie Frahm w/Matt Santangelo, Blake Stepp w/Dan Dickau, and Derek Raivio w/Blake Stepp).

GoZags
09-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Rank the 3 in order, best to worst in your opinion. Same to GoZags

My "ranking" and your "ranking" means nothing .... particularly if a kid doesn't want to go to Gonzaga .... or if he chooses another school.

I don't believe that ANY kid who chooses Gonzaga is a "Consolation Prize". That's my opinion.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-03-2015, 06:23 PM
I apologize. I was mistaking Norvell and Nowell. However, I wouldn't agree Davis and Nowell are on a different planet from Kispert. Are they better? Yes I would say they are. I would definitely be happy with any of the 3 however (yes I know Davis isn't available).

I'd take Norvell too, that was going to be my next point. Just about every guy we're going after in 2016 is better then Kispert as well imo. McLaughlin is better, Mathews is better. Honestly I wouldn't take Kispert over any of our current guard targets. I made a post in another thread pointing out the depth of talent in our targets so this isn't necessarily an indictment of Kispert but I do think he is a notch or several notches below most of our current targets.

Also, I've seen Davis verbal commitment to UW brought up a few times as if it's all over for him. You guys do realize that it's not over and his recruitment is still very much alive? It's a non binding verbal agreement, since when did that ever stop a coach from trying to snatch a kid? His recruitment (and anybody elses for that matter) isn't over til their name is signed on that LOI and the kid steps on campus. And this is is especially true for somebody so early in their recruitment.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-03-2015, 06:34 PM
My "ranking" and your "ranking" means nothing .... particularly if a kid doesn't want to go to Gonzaga .... or if he chooses another school.

I don't believe that ANY kid who chooses Gonzaga is a "Consolation Prize". That's my opinion.

I thought we were here to discuss topics related to Gonzaga basketball? Certainly it means something, considering this is a MESSAGE BOARD specifically designed for our rankings and various other opinions on the topic.

Or do you only use this line of this line of thinking when you want to deflect and not answer the question?

Zagdawg
09-03-2015, 07:43 PM
In my opinion.... on this MESSAGE BOARD-- GoZags is right on with his opinion.

Doesn't matter how we rank a recruit ---the recruiting is in the coaches hands and they will pursue the recruits they feel will fill a hole and be the best fit.

If a kid doesn't want to be a Zag and you rank him #1 ...its no going to help the kid become a Zag.

If GoZags doesn't want to play along with the game...take your ball and run home....you will be just fine. ;)

Just my .02

cggonzaga
09-03-2015, 07:52 PM
That's your opinion about Kispert. I believe you're undervaluing him.

One thing I wouldn't do if I were you is disrespect the people on this board. You seem to believe we're all idiots and don't understand how recruiting works among other college basketball related items. We understand a kid can change his non-binding oral commitment. I'd personally be shocked however if Davis changed his commitment at some point to Gonzaga. Be more than happy to buy you a beer if that happened.

hooter73
09-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Besides the fact we know recruits and their families read these boards...

Zagdawg
09-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Exactly......

ProjectMKUltra5
09-03-2015, 11:45 PM
That's your opinion about Kispert. I believe you're undervaluing him.

One thing I wouldn't do if I were you is disrespect the people on this board. You seem to believe we're all idiots and don't understand how recruiting works among other college basketball related items. We understand a kid can change his non-binding oral commitment. I'd personally be shocked however if Davis changed his commitment at some point to Gonzaga. Be more than happy to buy you a beer if that happened.

Scout is the only publication that puts Kispert anywhere near the other two, so it's not just me. The general concensus amongst those who matter is that he is a step behind them for various reasons. Are all of them undervaluing him as well?

kitzbuel
09-04-2015, 02:39 AM
The only ones who have opinions that 'matter' are on coaching staffs. All the other speculation that occurs is for our diversion.

GoZags
09-04-2015, 05:39 AM
The only ones who have opinions that 'matter' are on coaching staffs. All the other speculation that occurs is for our diversion.

Bingo ....

cggonzaga
09-04-2015, 07:21 AM
So which is it Project? In one breath you want to list "publications" and the next "my opinion". You've also stated they're nowhere close in talent. So like I've said, I believe those 2 players to be better than Kispert but just not by the wide margin you make them out to be. Hence I think you're undervaluing him. Again, I'd be more than happy with any one of the 3.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-04-2015, 07:31 AM
The only people acting like executive decisions are being made here are you guys, I simply asked the opinion of a few posters. This actually perfectly illustrates my problem with GUboards. Cggonzaga defended his point and I fully understand where he's coming from. I asked him a basketball related question and he gave me a basketball answer. GoZags decides the "they're all special little butterflies no matter what" argument was more fitting, essentially killing any chance at a honest discussion on the topic.

And that's fine. You wanna run around the Kennel thinking about lollipops and unicorns then go for it. I won't tell you how to be a fan but don't expect to be taken seriously when the big boys want to talk ball.

ProjectMKUltra5
09-04-2015, 07:37 AM
So which is it Project? In one breath you want to list "publications" and the next "my opinion". You've also stated they're nowhere close in talent. So like I've said, I believe those 2 players to be better than Kispert but just not by the wide margin you make them out to be. Hence I think you're undervaluing him. Again, I'd be more than happy with any one of the 3.

The only reason I'm bringing the rankings up is to back up my opinion, it's not like ya'll are just going take my word for it.

GoZags
09-04-2015, 07:56 AM
To avoid any confusion here ... let me say that I do not take you seriously and if I wasn't a mod I would have you on ignore. It is my opinion that you are one poster who clearly illustrates Tommy's point that folks don't know but 5 percent of what is really going on.

Edited to add: And as for Davis' commitment to Washington and your ascertation that he is still fair game? Please let the Board know the last time Gonzaga has recruited and signed a kid who'd verbally committed elsewhere. Mark Few's modus operandi is to get the kid a year or two after they go to their initial school of choice.

The only people acting like executive decisions are being made here are you guys, I simply asked the opinion of a few posters. This actually perfectly illustrates my problem with GUboards. Cggonzaga defended his point and I fully understand where he's coming from. I asked him a basketball related question and he gave me a basketball answer. GoZags decides the "they're all special little butterflies no matter what" argument was more fitting, essentially killing any chance at a honest discussion on the topic.

And that's fine. You wanna run around the Kennel thinking about lollipops and unicorns then go for it. I won't tell you how to be a fan but don't expect to be taken seriously when the big boys want to talk ball.

hooter73
09-04-2015, 08:07 AM
:allhail:

ProjectMKUltra5
09-04-2015, 08:39 AM
FWIW there's a very good chance this kid becomes a Zag.

Is this the 5% you're talking about?

TexasZagFan
09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
To avoid any confusion here ... let me say that I do not take you seriously and if I wasn't a mod I would have you on ignore. It is my opinion that you are one poster who clearly illustrates Tommy's point that folks don't know 5 percent of what is really going on.

Edited to add: And as for Davis' commitment to Washington and your ascertatiion that he is still fair game? Please let the Board know the last time Gonzaga has recruited and signed a kid who'd verbally committed elsewhere. Mark Few's modus operandi is to get the kid a year or two after they go to their initial school of choice.

IMO, the next Nobel Peace Prize goes to the inventor of the "ignore" function.

sittingon50
09-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Cmon' folks, we can all lighten up a bit. The sun is out & the smoke is gone (at least from the Colville valley). It's gonna' be a great year in Zagville.

Kiddwell
09-04-2015, 11:47 AM

This fan would be quite happy if Kispert verbaled to the Zags. Would it be fair to compare him with the oft-mentioned Joe Harris (from State of Washington but played for Virginia)?

:]

TexasZagFan
09-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Cmon' folks, we can all lighten up a bit. The sun is out & the smoke is gone (at least from the Colville valley). It's gonna' be a great year in Zagville.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWtD5EBF03y7b8ND5fEpJpwfM2A-weVZTMVxJm2BhlESuW1-nP

webspinnre
09-04-2015, 01:01 PM
This fan would be quite happy if Kispert verbaled to the Zags. Would it be fair to compare him with the oft-mentioned Joe Harris (from State of Washington but played for Virginia)?

:]

While I can't speak to Kispert's abilities, if the answer to this question is yes, then I'm 100% on board the Kispert bandwagon.

jazzdelmar
09-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Looks like a nice prospect to me. What, 300 schools would die for a top 80 player. Stay humble, Zagiacs.

Bogozags
09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
IMO, the next Nobel Peace Prize goes to the inventor of the "ignore" function.

Is there really such a button?

maynard g krebs
09-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Also, I've seen Davis verbal commitment to UW brought up a few times as if it's all over for him. You guys do realize that it's not over and his recruitment is still very much alive? It's a non binding verbal agreement, since when did that ever stop a coach from trying to snatch a kid? His recruitment (and anybody elses for that matter) isn't over til their name is signed on that LOI and the kid steps on campus. And this is is especially true for somebody so early in their recruitment.

How many Seattle kids have backed out of a UW commitment? I can't think of any. I'd guess the staff has decided to put their energy into the many fish in the sea that don't already have hooks in their mouths, given that they have finite time and resources. Just an opinion, though. It would be interesting to hear if you have concrete knowledge they're still recruiting him or just speculation.

TexasZagFan
09-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Is there really such a button?

Yes, go to "My Settings">"My Account">"Edit Ignore List"

sittingon50
09-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Yes, go to "My Settings">"My Account">"Edit Ignore List"

And spell my name right.

seacatfan
09-04-2015, 05:21 PM
How many Seattle kids have backed out of a UW commitment?

It was a long time ago, totally different era, but I wanna say Jason Terry originally committed to UW before going to Arizona. (yep, confirmed via googling)
But point is taken, I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. They had some decommits, but they weren't the local kids. I wouldn't count McLaughlin since he's from Gig Harbor, really not Seattle area.

Coach Crazy
09-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I thought we were here to discuss topics related to Gonzaga basketball? Certainly it means something, considering this is a MESSAGE BOARD specifically designed for our rankings and various other opinions on the topic.

Or do you only use this line of this line of thinking when you want to deflect and not answer the question?

More Mr. Rogers/White Picket Fence from these dudes, MK.

I don't believe that ANY kid who chooses Gonzaga is a "Consolation Prize". That's my opinion

That's fair that this is your opinion, but the approach is not one of subjectivity. Putting "that's just my opinion" on it feels a little disingenuous. There is such thing as a consolation prize, when it comes to recruiting. Why rank anyone at all, then? This is competitive, high-major college basketball. It doesn't mean they have to remain the consolation prize, but make no mistake about it...if you don't get who you wanted, then you are getting someone you wanted less. No way around that.

Coach Crazy
09-05-2015, 03:05 PM
It is my opinion that you are one poster who clearly illustrates Tommy's point that folks don't know but 5 percent of what is really going on.

This is not my opinion, but reality: It is a lazy trump card to use, instead of having a real discussion. The posters that you are supporting with this nonsense know even less. I have seen very few posters on here who actually know much about basketball and actual basketball culture. I can at least have a real conversation with guys like MK. Using "coombyah" phrases and sentiment doesn't make you a better GU fan. And it doesn't demonstrate that you are more in "the know".

If this board is only about being "in the know", then start vetting that information, so we can have those discussions. And the way you are talking to MK is disrespectful. Seriously. Show some respect, please.

GoZags
09-05-2015, 04:00 PM
This is not my opinion, but reality: It is a lazy trump card to use, instead of having a real discussion. The posters that you are supporting with this nonsense know even less. I have seen very few posters on here who actually know much about basketball and actual basketball culture. I can at least have a real conversation with guys like MK. Using "coombyah" phrases and sentiment doesn't make you a better GU fan. And it doesn't demonstrate that you are more in "the know".

If this board is only about being "in the know", then start vetting that information, so we can have those discussions. And the way you are talking to MK is disrespectful. Seriously. Show some respect, please.

Fair enough .....

I should have disregarded his subsequent barbs and simply left my thoughts on the topic with my initial reaction ...

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?54569-Rivals-Top-150-Updated-9-2-2015&p=1132565#post1132565

Unless you also feel that folks shouldn't disagree with this Board's "self proclaimed" experts.

sittingon50
09-05-2015, 05:02 PM

God, I wish I weren't so stupid. If I could only tie my own shoes.:fingergun:

Zagdawg
09-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Makes two of us....thank goodness for velcro..... if it weren't for this darn ignore feature I would be blessed with such amazing basketball knowledge that is bestowed upon us by coach and mk.

Thank goodness Kraziness is just over a month away.

Go Zags!