PDA

View Full Version : COA Payments for Players

Zagdawg
09-01-2015, 02:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13549583/ncaa-coaches-believe-cost-attendance-allowance-recruiting-advantage

Yearly pay:
BYU to pay players $4498
Pepperdine $3846
Washington State $3542

Top school Cincinnati $6802

hockeyzag
09-01-2015, 02:56 PM
I am now completely overtaken with curiosity as to what Gonzaga will be offering. How could they be left off that list?!

Bogozags
09-01-2015, 04:15 PM
I have always believed that if there wasn't a set amount for each school or a max so to speak, then the BCS schools would have the advantage. The NCAA has to come out with a set amount, if not it will be money talks and nothing else matters...

I wonder if Harvard will give any money as they don't give out "scholarships" but they have a strong financial aid program...interesting it will be...

DixieZag
09-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I have always believed that if there wasn't a set amount for each school or a max so to speak, then the BCS schools would have the advantage. The NCAA has to come out with a set amount, if not it will be money talks and nothing else matters...

I wonder if Harvard will give any money as they don't give out "scholarships" but they have a strong financial aid program...interesting it will be...

This sounds exactly right to me. Without a cap, it just becomes a bidding war with the football rich schools in the SEC, Big 12, and the Pac, having enough money to throw around in the basketball program to really make it no different than baseball free agency.

Zagceo
09-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Wonder if NCAA will start selling jerseys again? Link (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9551518/ncaa-shuts-site-jersey-sales-says-hypocritical)

hondo
09-01-2015, 07:40 PM
When kings no longer win the game then the rules will change.

Zags_Fanatic
09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
The scary thing to me is for-profit Grand Canyon paying $5700. Could be enough to sway high-major talent and change the landscape of college ball. Will be very interesting to see where this all goes.

CDC84
09-01-2015, 08:29 PM

Some have argued that if the NCAA did this, the BCS teams would separate from the NCAA at some point.

SteelZag
09-01-2015, 08:45 PM
I am now completely overtaken with curiosity as to what Gonzaga will be offering. How could they be left off that list?!

It looks like the Zags will have to cough up at least $4,000 a year to keep up with the Joneses in the WCC. Plus keeping up with NW Pac schools won't come cheap.

Chicken Ball
09-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Some have argued that if the NCAA did this, the BCS teams would separate from the NCAA at some point.

This seems shortsighted to me. If you start forking over the cash to players, then you've lost the thing that creates your market niche: amateur status, or at least the illusion of it. Then you're not competing with mid majors; you're competing with the NBA. Unless the NBA decides to use the Bug Six as a farm system.

But then, who watches farm sports?

MDABE80
09-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Opens the door to a lot of funny business.......and a lot of under the table business too. A set fee to help is what needs to happen.

SteelZag
09-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Opens the door to a lot of funny business.......and a lot of under the table business too. A set fee to help is what needs to happen.

Funny business as in why the COA at Xavier (a private school) is $4500 less than U of Cincinnati (a state University) is somewhat perplexing. I could only think that state schools in Ohio don't provide enough in scholarship money and indeed is more expensive than Xavier, or is it simply a recruiting tool.

DixieZag
09-02-2015, 05:52 AM

No one can say for certain at this point, but that seems like a logical starting point.

I still have to think that at least some smaller private schools bring too much to the basketball table to be shut out completely. And, from what we've seen of how the department is run, if there is any crack left in, they'll buy their way through the rope line. Or they'll join the PAC 14 Basketball with BYU or something.

GoZags
09-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Easy answer .... Gonzaga is a private institution and is under no obligation whatsoever to release this information publicly.

Secondly .... we all KNOW that GU is doing EVERYTHING they can to stay competitive with the "Big Boys". I can't imagine anyone who follows Gonzaga not believing that GU is all over this (albeit privately ... not publically).

Bogozags
09-02-2015, 08:59 AM
No one can say for certain at this point, but that seems like a logical starting point.

I still have to think that at least some smaller private schools bring too much to the basketball table to be shut out completely. And, from what we've seen of how the department is run, if there is any crack left in, they'll buy their way through the rope line. Or they'll join the PAC 14 Basketball with BYU or something.

Dixie,

I don't think the BCS teams would break away...pretty tough to have winning records (football/basketball - men's and women's) if they are only playing in a league with 67 teams...

They wouldn't jeopardize their opportunities to make more money...don't believe there would be too many fans watching a Boston College vs WSU football or basketball game on national TV...just saying...

Call their bluff and set the tone...the NCAA already has control of the Dance for several more years so they have some clout NOW...

willandi
09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
The NCAA needs to tie it in to actual cost of living, because off campus anything is so expensive in Pullman!

CDC84
09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
I am just glad that conferences are not dictating how much their individual schools can spend. Of course if that happened, you might see court challenges.

sittingon50
09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
I am just glad that conferences are not dictating how much their individual schools can spend. Of course if that happened, you might see court challenges.

Or more teams leaving for GREENER pastures.