PDA

View Full Version : 2016 6'5" guard Zach Norvell Commits To Gonzaga

Pages : [1] 2

exclusivelee
08-31-2015, 12:50 PM
http://www.prephoopsillinois.com/news_article/show/549173?referrer_id=1201274

Zach Norvell plans his first official visits to Gonzaga and Oregon. 8 other high majors remain in the mix for the final 3 officials.

Gonzaga offered (https://twitter.com/ZagsGuru/status/626880968196886528) Norvell in (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0801-prep-basketball-recruiting-notes-20150731-story.html) late July (https://twitter.com/rsmith2_robert/status/626795192163549186)

I'd guess that this display of 53 points (including 14 3's) in one of the final AAU games of the recruiting period was enough to hand him an offer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwGPF9s9lmQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLMg6yYUYAAuNL7.jpg

Bouldin4Prez
08-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Huge. Just showing Gonzaga is a national brand at this point and isn't relegated to strictly west coast kids.

ZagNative
08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
I really appreciate the outstanding work you do here and on twitter, exclusivelee! You're just a great source of information.

zagsfanforlife
08-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Looks like the developed Tyler Harvey to me. Hitting a ton of off balance threes with guys right in his face. Impressive shooter. Of course i take these highlight videos with a grain of salt, as i once hit 10 threes in a high school game as well, but since GU wasnt offering me, I tend to think this guy does it more consistently than i could.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
I think what has impressed me the most about our recruiting in 2016 has been the guards we've gone after. From Payton Pritchard to Sam Cunliffe to Jaquori McLaughlin to Zach Norvell. We've seen hardly any dropoff when moving from one target to the next. It's impressive as hell.

gonzagafan62
08-31-2015, 01:36 PM
We get this kid, and 2017 looks like a hell of a good team. Lets keep it up.

Bogozags
08-31-2015, 04:48 PM
I think what has impressed me the most about our recruiting in 2016 has been the guards we've gone after. From Payton Pritchard to Sam Cunliffe to Jaquori McLaughlin to Zach Norvell. We've seen hardly any dropoff when moving from one target to the next. It's impressive as hell.

I believe GU has always gone out and tried to recruit these types of players BUT the proof is in getting them to commit/sign with us...we do have a level of success in Chicago with Jeremy so that might well help...fingers are crossed that he likes what he sees on his visit...at least he can see the entire court clearly...

exclusivelee
09-07-2015, 01:14 PM
September 11 (this Friday) is the official visit date for Zach Norvell!!

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert
Simeon 2016 Wing Zach Norvell will be on a official visit to Gonzage Sept 11#Simeonpride

Robert smith retweeted
Joe Henricksen ‏@joehoopsreport - Oswego, IL
One of state's top seniors, Simeon's Zach Norvell, a 6-5 2-guard, will visit Gonzaga next weekend.

Bogozags
09-07-2015, 01:38 PM

Fingers are crossed!

Who's bringing the tacos?

Nevada Don
09-07-2015, 02:00 PM
The Gaels just got a commit from PG Jordan Ford from Folsom HS adjacent to Sacramento. I guess he's rated up to 4 Stars by some so it's a very high recruit for SMC. Supposedly he was offered by GU and many others. Does anyone here have any information as to if and how much GU cared about this recruit?

So, you guys going to be any good this coming year? Any returnees?
Just KIDDING as usual.

exclusivelee
09-07-2015, 02:23 PM
The Gaels just got a commit from PG Jordan Ford from Folsom HS adjacent to Sacramento. I guess he's rated up to 4 Stars by some so it's a very high recruit for SMC. Supposedly he was offered by GU and many others. Does anyone here have any information as to if and how much GU cared about this recruit?

So, you guys going to be any good this coming year? Any returnees?
Just KIDDING as usual.

Jordan Ford did visit GU for the matchup with Memphis in late January but wasn't a priority for the staff this summer. a point guard doesnt appear to be that much of a need at least for now. Ford can really score though. Great pickup.

I'm sure you guys will shock a lot of people again. Can never count the Gaels out. You lost a boatload of production though.

kyle dixon
09-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Zach looks like the real deal. Fingers crossed for next weekend.

Nevada Don
09-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the comments exclusivelee.
I'm afraid to say stuff on the wrong thread here but the Gaels have 10 scholarship players on a total roster of 12 players, only two of which are juniors and NO seniors, 6 freshmen and the rest sophomores.

I think we're ready !

The funny thing is, most of us are really excited to see these "kids" play.

Go Zags---with my usual exception.

SLOZag
09-07-2015, 03:42 PM
The Gaels just got a commit from PG Jordan Ford from Folsom HS adjacent to Sacramento. ... Supposedly he was offered by GU and many others. Does anyone here have any information ... ?

"Gonzaga offered Jordan Ford June 16, 2014. [Ford's] top 3 [were]:

UCSB
Oregon State
Saint Mary's

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?49827-Open-Offers-Thread&p=1128990#post1128990

DixieZag
09-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the comments exclusivelee.
I'm afraid to say stuff on the wrong thread here but the Gaels have 10 scholarship players on a total roster of 12 players, only two of which are juniors and NO seniors, 6 freshmen and the rest sophomores.

I think we're ready !

The funny thing is, most of us are really excited to see these "kids" play.

Go Zags---with my usual exception.

If you said stuff on the wrong thread, that does nothing more than make you an accepted regular around here, which you actually are. Thx for stopping by.

Zagdawg
09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 32m32 minutes ago
Despite reports that Zack Norvell is taking an official visit this weekend, sources tell us that date isn't 100% locked in #zagclass16

MDABE80
09-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Jewel of a player. Might be a bit crowded out front for a year or so. Hope we get him. I watched tape of him earlier this summer. He good now but he's got the bones to develop into a very superior player.

SLOZag
09-07-2015, 09:35 PM

These are exciting times. Two days later our coaches are off to T. J. Leaf's place for an in-home visit.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?54466-TJ-Leaf&p=1130755#post1130755

I'm not sure if Tilley's announcement will have any impact on the Leaf visit -- hope not!

doctorzag
09-08-2015, 12:34 PM
These are exciting times. Two days later our coaches are off to T. J. Leaf's place for an in-home visit.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?54466-TJ-Leaf&p=1130755#post1130755

I'm not sure if Tilley's announcement will have any impact on the Leaf visit -- hope not!
I think that in home visit has been moved up to tomorrow Sept. 9

zagfan94
09-11-2015, 08:31 AM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/9/11/9311119/zach-norvell-set-to-take-official-visit-to-gonzaga?utm_campaign=slipperstillfits&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Seems like we might be the front runners atm.

ZagNative
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/9/11/9311119/zach-norvell-set-to-take-official-visit-to-gonzaga?utm_campaign=slipperstillfits&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Seems like we might be the front runners atm.I loved this from the SSF piece:

"I'd say Gonzaga started recruiting me during the AAU season," the Simeon star recalled. The came to see some of my EYBL games and started liking me. I wasn't surprised to be recruited by them, because schools from the West Coast have been recruiting me from the start. It was cool to hear from them, because one of my mentors (Jeremy Pargo) went to Gonzaga and we have conversations about them daily."

The former Gonzaga great has been very open with Norvell about his time in Spokane and what stood out during his experience.

"He (Pargo) told me that Gonzaga was one of the greatest experiences of his life," revealed the Mac Irvin guard. "He told me the coaches are always going to be 100 with you and they aren't going to sugarcoat anything. They are going to be outspoken with you and honest if you are playing bad. That's the kind of guy I am to. I want to know the truth about how I am doing and how I can get better. He told me Gonzaga is like a family away from home and that is really important for me."

75Zag
09-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Very exciting to have a 6'5" guard visit GU. I hope he enjoys Spokane and the GU campus and staff.
I lack the deep basketball knowledge of many of you on this forum, but in my non-expert opinion, if GU would have had a couple 6'6" guards in March and April of this year, we would be raising a NC banner vs. an Elite 8 banner.

Go Bulldogs!

hooter73
09-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Very exciting to have a 6'5" guard visit GU. I hope he enjoys Spokane and the GU campus and staff.
I lack the deep basketball knowledge of many of you on this forum, but in my non-expert opinion, if GU would have had a couple 6'6" guards in March and April of this year, we would be raising a NC banner vs. an Elite 8 banner.

Go Bulldogs!

At the risk of derailing, we had them, they just weren't consistently playing as good as the shorter guards. Is what it is.

Im excited for Norvell and its nice to hear Pargo hyping the school and experience. He and Few had legendary go-arounds but it sounds like a few years removed and a bit of maturity has left him with a better understanding of why things were the way they were.

CDC84
09-11-2015, 09:34 AM
I figured Jeremy was somehow behind this :)

He's just about the greatest salesperson you could ever have for Gonzaga when it comes to recruiting inner city kids.

Hopefully this will continue to lead to more Chicago area recruiting. Illinois produces some good talent.

CDC84
09-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Simeon has produced some really good players over the years: Derrick Rose, Jabari Parker, Bobby Simmons, Nick Anderson....

ZagNative
09-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Another highlight video, this one from BallIsLife. (http://ballislife.com/zack-norvell-splash/)

MDABE80
09-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Great balance too. Sure would like to see him in the Blue and White.

cggonzaga
09-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Man if we could get him and Kispert our outside shooting would be unreal in 2017. A couple of 6'6" bombers. Would be nice to go along with Melson, Tillie, Collins, etc....

maynard g krebs
09-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Go Bulldogs!

Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the 6-6 guys can actually play? There just aren't that many 6-6 guys with elite guard skills around, and they generally go to the NBA after a year. Taller is certainly better in basketball, all other things being equal. But they aren't. At the guard position, iq, vision, ball handling/passing ability, shooting ability, quickness,, in no particular order, imo all are more important than height.

The fact that Few and Altman have both targeted Norvell tells me he has most or all of the above, though. As does the fact that he's a lefty who can shoot; could be like the Ohio State kid from last year whose name I'm blanking on at the moment. So great to read that Pargo is recruiting him.

ZagNative
09-11-2015, 12:11 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Zxt-K89tBok/VfM1Ob1dq_I/AAAAAAACkpQ/tsQZ6a2V95E/s564-Ic42/Fullscreen%252520capture%2525209112015%25252010813 %252520PM.bmp.jpg

Zagger
09-12-2015, 06:15 AM
I loved this from the SSF piece:

:agreed: If 'Family' plays a big role with this kid, as it sure looks like, GU is going to be hard for other schools to beat on recruitment. Pargo was one of my favorite Zags (maybe 'is' is better than 'was' in that sense). Guys like Jeremy do well here and help mold the whole GU BB program into a bit better form - they leave an impression on the program as it also leaves one on them. Same goes for the recruits from outside the USA. Diversity is good for the soul. We're humans first, everything else second. Go Zags!

GoZags
09-12-2015, 06:35 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Zxt-K89tBok/VfM1Ob1dq_I/AAAAAAACkpQ/tsQZ6a2V95E/s564-Ic42/Fullscreen%252520capture%2525209112015%25252010813 %252520PM.bmp.jpg

If Norvell commits we may need to start calling 'em the "Zachs" instead of the "Zags".

Badumm ... ching !!!

Edited to add the word "If". Sorry for any confusion ... wasn't my intention.

75Zag
09-13-2015, 01:20 PM
If I am reading this correctly (and I still have tears in my eyes from the Seahawk's loss a few minutes ago, so my eyes may not be clear) I am so excited about Zach Norville's pledge to GU that I could cry.

ZagsObserver
09-13-2015, 01:39 PM
It depends on whether the post above starts with the all important word, "if" or not

MDABE80
09-13-2015, 01:43 PM
We don't have him yet...............quite the team if we do acquire this young fella. Jeremy's giving us quite the boost. Pargo's story is quite an amazing one as to how he arrived here. One of the most "lightning in a bottle" kids" we've had. I still can't believe Pargo's drills. Glad he's staying close to the University.

raise the zag
09-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Norvell has not committed, verbally or otherwise.

He's showing interest in several schools, including numerous unofficial/official visits planned for him.

His recruiting is just taking off -- we showed interest early which bodes well for Zags -- his blue-chip shooting, height for his position, and performance this Summer has really spiked interest in Zach, nationally.

The big boys are coming…Pargo doing his good-will for us tho...

GoZags
09-13-2015, 02:13 PM
If I am reading this correctly (and I still have tears in my eyes from the Seahawk's loss a few minutes ago, so my eyes may not be clear) I am so excited about Zach Norville's pledge to GU that I could cry.

I edited the post above to alleviate the confusion .... my apologies (and furthermore the "Zags to Zachs" joke wasn't even all that funny to begin with .... thus the Badumm Ching rim shot).

One thing I agree with, though. It WAS a tough "L" for the Hawks. And speaking of which ... Lynch makes the first down on 4th and inches in overtime and I believe the Seahawks win. Note .... Lynch DIDN'T make the first down ... although while typing the above I felt the sentence makes sense although the word "If" alleviates all doubt.

willandi
09-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Great balance too. Sure would like to see him in the Blue and White.

Is that the Gonzaga colors? (tongue-in-cheek alert)

exclusivelee
09-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Zach Norvell talks about his visit to Gonzaga, plans trips to Georgetown and Oregon:

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/09/13/henricksen-simeons-zach-norvell-recruitment-enters-stretch-run/

sittingon50
09-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the link, lee.

ZagNative
09-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Zach Norvell talks about his visit to Gonzaga, plans trips to Georgetown and Oregon:

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/09/13/henricksen-simeons-zach-norvell-recruitment-enters-stretch-run/Sounds like the visit was a success ....

While Iowa State and Missouri both came in this past week to check on Norvell in open gyms, right now the three that stand out are Gonzaga, Georgetown and Oregon.

Now Norvell has something to compare other schools and programs to after completing his first official visit. The big, tough, physical guard with a team-first mindset thoroughly enjoyed his trip to Gonzaga, where he characterized the program as “unselfish” and one where he could see himself playing.

“The way they go about things there, how they play, they are all totally unselfish,” says Norvell of the Gonzaga program. “It’s a college town and the fans are crazy there about basketball. There isn’t football, so it’s a basketball school that’s had lot of success and winning. And coach [Mark] Few and the staff are great people.”

ZAGGED OUT
09-15-2015, 08:53 AM
He said he wants to make his choice by November. Hopefully Pargo and our early start is enough to seal this.

exclusivelee
09-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Joe Henricksen @joehoopsreport
Bump in road for Zach Norvell as Simeon guard landed on wrist in open gym. Small fracture will keep Norvell out 3-6 weeks.
5:20 AM - 16 Sep 2015 · Oswego, IL

http://www.hoops247.com/index.php/modules-menu/6576-2016-g-zach-norvell-out-3-6-weeks

Early signing period lasts from Nov 11-18 (56 days away). It will be interesting to see if this alters Norvell's recruitment (probably not much). Gonzaga had the opportunity to have a team workout with him while he was healthy, but Georgetown will not if he still takes an official visit there this weekend, as previously planned.

hooter73
09-16-2015, 01:48 PM
wonder if that will push back his visits and timeline.

MDABE80
09-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Nah...doesn't mean much . We'll take him with or without a wrist injury. Those go away. The kid is the important part. I wish we'd sign him up.

exclusivelee
09-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Iowa State is coming in hot for Norvell and he may take an official visit there this weekend, Oregon may be out, but he did decide to take the official visit to Georgetown.

This claims that it should come down to Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Iowa State, but there has been no reports that our coaches have been to see Norvell (and his coach reports every school visiting). Both Georgetown and Iowa State have been to see him even while he has been recovering from the injury

Joe Henricksen ‏@joehoopsreport 1h1 hour ago
Simeon's Zach Norvell expected to visit Iowa State this weekend. A Class of 2016 recruiting notebook here ... Zach Norvell, Simeon
The 6-5 guard is the City/Suburban Hoops Report’s No. 3 ranked prospect and has taken official visits to both Gonzaga and Georgetown. He will visit Iowa State this coming weekend and the decision looks as if it will come down to those three. http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/09/27/henricksen-class-2016-recruiting-notebook/

Robert smith @rsmith2_robert Sept 24
The schools that came in today to watch the Wolverines workout Wright State Drake Iowa State #Simeonpride

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sep 21
Georgetown was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Mac Irvin Fire ‏@TheMacIrvinFire Sep 18
Zach Norvell (Simeon) will be on an official visit this weekend to #Georgetown. @ZackN_22 is a top 100 player. #BigEast #MacIrvinFire

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sep 17
Iowa State was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sep 9
Iowa State was in today to see 2016 Wing Zach Norvell #Simeonfamily/ (http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/09/27/henricksen-class-2016-recruiting-notebook/)

exclusivelee
09-29-2015, 05:57 PM
A Zags coach flew out to Chicago to see Norvell today... but so did Iowa State:

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sept 29
Gonzaga was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Schools that were in today to see the Wolverines workout today Iowa State,UMKC,Gonzaga and Illinois

Scott Phillips ‏@phillipshoops Sept 29
Gonzaga and Iowa State were in to see Simeon 2016 guard Zach Norvell today, per Rob Smith.

Iowa State was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell#Simeonpride

ZAGGED OUT
09-30-2015, 02:51 PM
Good to see we are getting out there. What a pipeline that would be if we could establish a consistent presence in Chi town. Norvell is going to be a really solid player, and man, a class with him and Collins would be incredible!

cggonzaga
09-30-2015, 03:26 PM
a class with him and Collins would be incredible!

Don't forget Tillie whom was recently named in an ESPN article as one of the top college recruits out of Europe with "huge upside".

ZAGGED OUT
10-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Don't forget Tillie whom was recently named in an ESPN article as one of the top college recruits out of Europe with "huge upside".

Indeed! Class is coming together nicely. I'm intrigued to see if Tillie will be a factor right away or take time to adjust. Either way, seems like a real nice pick up. Just really think Norvell would round this out into an incredible class.

Zagdawg
10-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Tillie contributed to the beating of 4 of the better upcoming US players in the international 3 on 3 tourney this summer---but I agree he may take some time to adjust to the college lifestyle.

exclusivelee
10-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Norvell took an official visit to Iowa State over the weekend. Florida State saw him last week and now he plans to take an official visit there. Door is still open for more schools to enter the mix. Decision appears to be coming in November...

Zach Norvell Enjoys Iowa State Official Visit, Looks Ahead

Chicago (IL) Simeon four-star guard Zach Norvell took his third official visit, to Iowa State, during the weekend. He recaps the trip and looks ahead in his recruitment.

Chicago (IL) Simeon four-star guard Zach Norvell is moving closer to a decision, and the next step in that process was a stop at Iowa State for his third official visit.

The 6-foot-4 guard, ranked by Scout.com as the top shooting guard in Illinois, holds offers from the likes of Creighton, Illinois, Purdue, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Florida State, Wake Forest and Oklahoma in addition to Iowa State, which began recruiting him in early August when the new coaching staff was well-established.

Norvell, who has now visited Gonzaga, Georgetown and Iowa State, plans to visit Florida State “in the next two weeks” before soon after coming to a decision.

“Nobody is really sticking out, probably just those four schools as of now,” Norvell said. “I’m [going to commit] in November.”

More at the link: http://www.scout.com/college/iowa-state/story/1595854-zach-norvells-enjoys-iowa-state-visit

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout Oct 2
Simeon 2016 SG Zach Norvell @ZackN_22 will go on official visit to Iowa St #Cyclones this weekend. @TheMacIrvinFire @rsmith2_robert

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Oct 1
FSU was in today to see 2016 Wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Mac Irvin Fire ‏@TheMacIrvinFire Oct 1
FSU was in to see on of the top Guards in the country Zach Norvell (Simeon HS) #MacIrvinFire

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Oct 1
Schools that was in today to watch the Wolverines work out Georgetown,Toledo,FSU#Simeonpride

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/c9449105f545f2c5372565d4c0860ea1.jpg

strikenowhere
10-06-2015, 11:52 AM
That doesn't sound too promising...

Norvell took an official visit to Iowa State over the weekend. Florida State saw him last week and now he plans to take an official visit there. Door is still open for more schools to enter the mix. Decision appears to be coming in November...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/c9449105f545f2c5372565d4c0860ea1.jpg

exclusivelee
10-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Zack Norvell Talks Visits and Timetable... Speaks more about his trip to Spokane. Sounds like he has now cut it to 4 & Florida State will be his last official visit. The Seminoles staff saw him again today too:

http://www.prephoopsillinois.com/news_article/show/561449?referrer_id=1201274

Simeon shooting guard Zack Norvell is the top wing prospect in the state of Illinois’ class of 2016. Norvell is a smooth lefty that can score and improved his all-around game over the last year. He is in the process of taking his official visits. We caught up with the #2 prospect in the state to talk about them.

This past weekend he took an official to Iowa State. What stood out about that visit?

“It was amazing! The coaching staff and fan base is amazing.”

He talked about what he liked about the Cyclones coaching staff.

“Great men on and off the court. They want tough minded guys who really want to win the Big 12.”

His first official visit was to Gonzaga. Norvell broke down what impresses him about their program.

“The players and the amazing fan base. They also have the coaches and how much they win and strive for success.”

After that he took a trip out east to see Georgetown who has recent Chicago prospects Paul White and LJ Peak on roster.

“It was great seeing the amazing history they have and their coaches are really down to earth.”

What is next for him with recruiting?

“I’m going to Florida State next week for an official visit.”

Norvell tells us this will be his last visit and he plans on making his decision between Gonzaga, Georgetown, Iowa State, and Florida State sometime in November inking a national letter of intent during the early signing period.

The senior guard told us what he will be looking for to separate his finalists.

“Just where the best fit for me will be and I’m comfortable with the players and coaching as well.”

Robert Smith @rsmith2_Robert Oct 6
FSU was in today to see 2016 Zach Norvell today #Simeonpride

basketballzag
10-12-2015, 07:16 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/bbmen-recruiting/2015/10/09/iowa-state-basketball-recruiting-jakolby-long-guard-commits-2016/73665144/

You can scratch Iowa State off the list.

gonstu
10-12-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/bbmen-recruiting/2015/10/09/iowa-state-basketball-recruiting-jakolby-long-guard-commits-2016/73665144/

Was that their last scholarship? Or did Zach say so? Or are you inferring since they're signing a guard that he will cross them off? Just curious as he sounds like a good one.

sittingon50
10-12-2015, 10:32 AM

FWIW Scout has Norvell as the #18 SG & this kid as the #26 SG.

ZAGGED OUT
10-12-2015, 01:30 PM
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/scholarship-chart/

Judging by this list, Long will be #12 of 13 scholarships. Still one open, not sure of their depth at guard.

ZAGGED OUT
10-12-2015, 05:03 PM
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/scholarship-chart/

Judging by this list, Long will be #12 of 13 scholarships. Still one open, not sure of their depth at guard.

http://www.cyclones.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=46664&SPID=4252&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10700&SORT_ORDER=6&Q_SEASON=2015&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

Official roster for 15-16 has 14 players on the Cyclones this year. 1 true center, 5 forwards, and 8 guards (all listed between 6-3 and 6-5). It does not denote walkons. Regardless, even if ISU may have one slot open, I'd say they are pretty loaded at guard, thus I'm siding with basketballzag on this one.

basketballzag
10-12-2015, 05:09 PM
http://www.cyclones.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=46664&SPID=4252&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10700&SORT_ORDER=6&Q_SEASON=2015&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

Official roster for 15-16 has 14 players on the Cyclones this year. 1 true center, 5 forwards, and 8 guards (all listed between 6-3 and 6-5). It does not denote walkons. Regardless, even if ISU may have one slot open, I'd say they are pretty loaded at guard, thus I'm siding with basketballzag on this one.

If I were a betting man............I would say the Zags are in great shape.

exclusivelee
10-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Still a tall order to land Norvell or even any high school recruit over Georgetown or Florida State even if Iowa State is out of the picture. Fingers crossed

strikenowhere
10-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Still a tall order to land Norvell or even any high school recruit over Georgetown or Florida State even if Iowa State is out of the picture. Fingers crossed

Georgetown? Definitely a tough one to beat out - the school has a well-earned academic and basketball pedigree. Florida State on the other hand...:cool:

Coach Crazy
10-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Georgetown? Definitely a tough one to beat out - the school has a well-earned academic and basketball pedigree. Florida State on the other hand...:cool:

Honestly, too much stock gets put into the quality of the education, on a general level.

cggonzaga
10-12-2015, 10:38 PM
If bz says we're in good shape then we're in good shape.

ZagaZags
10-13-2015, 01:40 AM
If bz says we're in good shape then we're in good shape.

We were in good shape with Nolan Narain. As Go Zags would say, nothing is in the bag until it's in the bag. I still think GU gets the trifecta.

https://extra.betamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Tri.jpg

exclusivelee
10-13-2015, 08:12 AM
Recruiting power

Both Georgetown and Florida State talk their way into landing top tier recruits every year

Florida State has 3 5-star commits in the last 2 years

If recent results were the only factor in one's decision, Bennie Boatwright and Jonah Mathews wouldn't have chosen USC

strikenowhere
10-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Recruiting power

Both Georgetown and Florida State talk their way into landing top tier recruits very year

If recent results were the only factor in one's decision, Bennie Boatwright and Jonah Mathews wouldn't have chosen USC

Haha goes to show how little I personally know about recruiting

exclusivelee
10-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Perhaps Norvell's final official visit before the big decision (unless another team claws their way in)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/ec71dc6c1589251b94823377cf067273.jpg

ProjectMKUltra5
10-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Honestly, too much stock gets put into the quality of the education, on a general level.

And too little stock is put on...how you say....extracurricular activities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wXC1TvpBA

I'd like the first flight to Tallahassee, please.

maynard g krebs
10-13-2015, 09:50 AM

It's the lure of that free stuff- crab legs from the local market, get out of jail free cards from the local cops/DA. Hard to pass up.

ZAGGED OUT
10-13-2015, 10:23 AM

*Regular season basketball pedigree

MDABE80
10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
He may be thinking "big" schools. But think about what those 2 programs have done in the past 3 years. If I was this kid, I'd pick GU. Smaller, academics strong (it does matter to many), up and coming, generally top 10 team, better coaching, lots of TV apperances and just a great all around program with great kids playing.
GT has many of those things too but they have bombed.....a lot...even in their own league.. FSU? wouldn't even be in consideration. But "we got Pargo"!!

seacatfan
10-13-2015, 12:30 PM
The "new" Big East is nothing like the "old" Big East. I wouldn't think conference affiliation is all that big of a boost for Georgetown at this point. And yeah, what has GT done lately? Coach JT3 got lucky and had a Final 4 appearance early in his tenure (thanks to an epic collapse by UNC), other than that he's done nothing to distinguish himself.

Florida St....occasionally they've had some solid teams. Definitely a football school. ACC is definitely a strong conference. Maybe playing multiple games against Duke, Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, etc. each year could be a draw.

Bogozags
10-13-2015, 02:53 PM
The "new" Big East is nothing like the "old" Big East. I wouldn't think conference affiliation is all that big of a boost for Georgetown at this point. And yeah, what has GT done lately? Coach JT3 got lucky and had a Final 4 appearance early in his tenure (thanks to an epic collapse by UNC), other than that he's done nothing to distinguish himself.

Florida St....occasionally they've had some solid teams. Definitely a football school. ACC is definitely a strong conference. Maybe playing multiple games against Duke, Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia, etc. each year could be a draw.

I hope this young man choses GU BUT as Seacatfan states above ACC schools have so much to offer as far as competition and FOOTBALL too! There is a very good chance FSU goes to the FBS Play-offs this season...just have to beat a Clemson team and there in...imo...

But as MGK stated, they have lots of intangibles not offered at GU...will that make a difference??? Gotta keep our fingers crossed but if he does come...WOW!

bigblahla
10-13-2015, 04:27 PM
As I remember from reading many posts about this young man the one that sticks in my mind was about is his relationship with Jeremy Pargo another young man from inner city Chicago who found his home and extended family at Gonzaga....Coach and staff have assembled a roster that is so talent laden it's ridiculous....recruiting is on the rise....if he really wants to become a better player, test himself and have a real opportunity to get to the NCAA tournament every year then without a doubt Gonzaga is the best choice...

Go!! Zags!!!

exclusivelee
10-13-2015, 06:08 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/090cb688f5811efbb32055d7da5478be.jpg

Florida State already has a PG, SG, & SF committed for 2016. They signed 4 SG for 2015 + 2 PG for 2014...

Georgetown picked up a SG for 2016 & a SF for 2015. They added a PG & 2 SF for 2014

Iowa State picked up a PG & SG for 2016. They signed a PG in 2014 & another PG in 2015

MDABE80
10-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Well this known, I'd run to GU like my a** hairs were on fire. No doubt. Call Pargo!!

ZAGGED OUT
10-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Norvell on an official to FSU this weekend.

bigblahla
10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
This is still a relevant thread...bump...gonna be a great year....

Go!! Zags!!!

bigblahla
10-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Visiting FSU...Iowa State a leader...Illinois a mysterious "Dark Horse".....and yet.....if one were to read between the lines...

https://twitter.com/zackn_22

Looking back to Aug 6th as a random date and moving forward to today what teams and how many are named?......interesting?

Go!! Zags!!!

bigblahla
10-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Visiting FSU...Iowa State a leader...Illinois a mysterious "Dark Horse".....and yet.....if one were to read between the lines...

https://twitter.com/zackn_22

Looking back to Aug 6th as a random date and moving forward to today what teams and how many are named?......interesting?

Go!! Zags!!!

Still relevant...any news?

Go!! Zags!!!

ZAGGED OUT
10-22-2015, 03:01 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

Been a ghost town online on this topic, haven't heard a thing concerning FSU visit, future visits, or decisions.

ZagaZags
10-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

We will find out his decision in 27 days (or less.)

strikenowhere
10-23-2015, 06:59 AM
Seems to me like the wind is blowing in another direction for Norvell...who's next on the big board?

exclusivelee
10-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Norvell's decision should come in about a week, and he'll likely hold a press conference.. It's between Gonzaga, Iowa State, Florida State, and Georgetown for his services, and I would bet the Hoyas or Cyclones over us. Although Norvell loved his visit to Florida State, the Seminoles should be way too crowded in the backcourt.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1817200

Rivals150 guard Norvell calls FSU visit 'amazing'

October 22, 2015

It's no secret how hot Florida State has been on the recruiting trail. The Seminoles already have a top-five class on tap for 2016, and they have a chance to raise their ranking with big names still out there like five-star targets, forward Dewan Huell and center Udoka Azubuike.

Another target high on the list is Rivals150 6-foot-4 shooting guard Zach Norvell of Chicago Simeon.

The left-handed sharpshooter is one of the hottest names in the 2016 recruiting class. He can do a little bit of everything at his position, including ball-handling, rebounding and outside shooting.

At a travel team competition earlier this summer, he scored 53 points, including 14 three pointers.

Last weekend, Norvell and his father took an official visit to Florida State. It was the last of his official visits.

"What stood out to me on the visit was the players, coaches and how close they are," Norvell said. "It was real cool and how down to earth the coaches were. They made it very easy for me to talk with them."

Another noticeable part of his visit was the players' camaraderie.

"My host was Malik Beasley. I've seen him on the AAU circuit so we've seen each other and we respect each other's game a lot," Norvell said. "The players, they did everything together. They are very close. No one was ever left behind. When it's practice time, everyone is business and they got after it."

The weekend coincided with the annual men's basketball fan event, Jam with Ham. It was a chance for fans to get their first look at the 2015-2016 team.

"It was amazing. Just seeing all the support of fans that came out and it was real exciting. It gave me a real feel for the atmosphere," Norvell said. "I also went to the football game and I've always heard how lively those games are, and there was a big crowd out there for that game. But with the Jam with Ham, there was a lot of excitement for FSU basketball."

That level of excitement certainly stood out.

"You can tell they are taking it up a notch, getting a lot of Top 100 recruits, and I think it's amazing here already," he said. "Last year's class was great as well with Dwayne Bacon, Malik Beasley, Terrance Mann. It just shows the program is heading in the right direction."

How does Norvell think he would fit in at FSU?

"I'm able to take the ball off the glass, come off down screens, being a shooter, along with my ball strength, basketball IQ," he said. "All the guys (at FSU) are confident, and no one is second-guessing themselves or shots they take and that's real good. On the defensive end, they get after it. And I like those things a lot."

Now that his official visits are over, Norvell's plan is to break things down with his family and make a decision.

"I need to sit down with my dad and talk things over because I want to commit in the next week or so," he explained.

Teams in the mix include Georgetown, Iowa State, Gonzaga and Florida State. He already knows what factors will weigh into his decision.

"The coaching staff, but also where I feel I can come in and play and develop as a player ... and a place where my family feels comfortable sending me for the next four years," he noted. "I'm pretty nervous about the decision because this is one of the biggest decisions of my life."

Norvell said he will likely do a press conference to announce his college choice, but it's something he, his father and coach have to discuss further.

https://ct.yimg.com/mr/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/NORVELL,-ZACK_6_25_200.JPG

Bogozags
10-23-2015, 07:57 AM
I wonder what the deciding factors might be for this young man to chose another institution of higher learning. Is there not an "After Action Report (AR)" on these student athletes and what if anything could have been done differently? Just asking...realizing there might not be any answers...

jazzdelmar
10-23-2015, 08:33 AM
I wonder what the deciding factors might be for this young man to chose another institution of higher learning. Is there not an "After Action Report (AR)" on these student athletes and what if anything could have been done differently? Just asking...realizing there might not be any answers...

Why should Gonzaga beat itself up over any loss. Kids are kids and they make mistakes

Bouldin4Prez
10-23-2015, 08:39 AM
Why is it a mistake if a kid decides to go to a school other than Gonzaga? There are so many other schools out there and if a kid feels comfortable at another school, more power to them. These kids have worked hard their whole lives to choose essentially whatever college they want to attend. They should have a great time, enjoy as many visits as they can and if they choose somewhere other than Gonzaga then I wish them nothing but the best.

Too many posters on this board get all caught up in how great of a fit some kid would be for Gonzaga. Then the second they decide to attend a different university, it's immediately a mistake and if the kid was smarter he would have chosen Gonzaga. Shame on them.

Bogozags
10-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Jazz,

Think I didn't get it right...understand kids are kids and they make important choices BUT wouldn't you like to know why a recruit chose one school over another...maybe presentation, the weather, bad tacos or ...

I mean, "IF" a kid choses UW over GU...was it because of football, school colors, proximity to home or ???

Like I said, there are probably no answers but there has to be one or more reasons why kids pick one school over another...for example we recruited Nigel Williams-Goss but he chose UW over GU and now he transferred to GU...I just wonder why he chose UW in the first place...what was the deciding factor(s)...

It is just my curiosity of course none of my business...

HenneZag
10-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Norvell is going to be a tough one to get to GU. Coming from a big city like Chicago I can't imagine what Spokane was like for him. Kind of like a kid from Spokane visiting Colville, no offense I like that area. Spokane is a great place, but a unique place in that. I have a feeling we are out of the running,whether it's the size of Spokane, weather, no football, arena, colors, atmosphere etc. I hope I'm wrong. Pargo was an exception but he wasn't as highly touted as Norvell with much less options to choose from.

GU imo has taken a leap forward with the type of talent we are attracting, with that said we will still continue to attract certain types of players with the occasional wow we got that guy to come here over many other high end programs i.e Perkins/Collins.

GU will continue to get quality transfers moving forward. The team mentality, family atmosphere, winning tradition is always appealing to players that learn the hard way and realize the grass isn't always greener at a bigger establishment.

strikenowhere
10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Norvell is going to be a tough one to get to GU. Coming from a big city like Chicago I can't imagine what Spokane was like for him. Kind of like a kid from Spokane visiting Colville, no offense I like that area. Spokane is a great place, but a unique place in that. I have a feeling we are out of the running,whether it's the size of Spokane, weather, no football, arena, colors, atmosphere etc. I hope I'm wrong. Pargo was an exception but he wasn't as highly touted as Norvell with much less options to choose from.

GU imo has taken a leap forward with the type of talent we are attracting, with that said we will still continue to attract certain types of players with the occasional wow we got that guy to come here over many other high end programs i.e Perkins/Collins.

GU will continue to get quality transfers moving forward. The team mentality, family atmosphere, winning tradition is always appealing to players that learn the hard way and realize the grass isn't always greener at a bigger establishment.

It sure would be nice to be pleasantly surprised every once in a while with a recruit - it seems that the guys we have gotten were all seen to be heavily favored to attend in the first place. I'd love for the Zags to be in SDSU's spot for once and nab a recruit that was thought to be going elsewhere (a la Narain).

jazzdelmar
10-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Jazz,

Think I didn't get it right...understand kids are kids and they make important choices BUT wouldn't you like to know why a recruit chose one school over another...maybe presentation, the weather, bad tacos or ...

I mean, "IF" a kid choses UW over GU...was it because of football, school colors, proximity to home or ???

Like I said, there are probably no answers but there has to be one or more reasons why kids pick one school over another...for example we recruited Nigel Williams-Goss but he chose UW over GU and now he transferred to GU...I just wonder why he chose UW in the first place...what was the deciding factor(s)...

It is just my curiosity of course none of my business...

I just don't think such a study would yield anything worthwhile. You could fill a spread sheet 20 x 20 with all the possible answers and reasons. I see where you are heading you were looking for commonalities and I just don't think they exist.

Coach Crazy
10-23-2015, 10:19 AM
I just don't think such a study would yield anything worthwhile. You could fill a spread sheet 20 x 20 with all the possible answers and reasons. I see where you are heading you were looking for commonalities and I just don't think they exist.

Wow, I agree with Jazz. Goodness. But seriously, there is just no way to correlate that data with the diversity that exists amongst the majority reasoning behind variables included in one's decision. In the end, it's best to hit on the major things that make your school what they are, and get the kids you can get.

The great thing about GU, is they are now adding more of the higher end variables such as producing AA's, NBA talent, EE appearances, and being able to offer a school where you are the Show, and no one else.

MDABE80
10-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Performance usually wins. Not always but most of the time. EE'ssuch a huge bunch of TV time, facilities, etc usually would make a difference. But, maybe not.......look at UW..a banner class and little to entice a kid but ROmar's line of BS.
You just never know. I'm hope he comes here as I've said from the beginning. We offer great acaemics, comraderie and obviously great basketball. I'm sure being in the WCC doesn't help in our efforts. It's what we are though. I know other coaches emphasize that when talking about us. It's not a drawing card. It's an issue we can't solve for now. SO let's cross our fingers.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Wow, I agree with Jazz. Goodness. But seriously, there is just no way to correlate that data with the diversity that exists amongst the majority reasoning behind variables included in one's decision. In the end, it's best to hit on the major things that make your school what they are, and get the kids you can get.

The great thing about GU, is they are now adding more of the higher end variables such as producing AA's, NBA talent, EE appearances, and being able to offer a school where you are the Show, and no one else.

Good for you Crazy. Welcome to the smart side.

Worthington
10-23-2015, 11:28 AM
We're always going to be at a disadvantage in recruiting because of the WCC. Kids coming out of high school are hesitant about that, when they honestly shouldn't be. I think that's why we do much better with transfers. A lot of the time after being swayed to a big conference school, the glitz and glamour of it all wears off, and a player is left thinking about what really should matter in choosing a school as a serious athlete; winning, national exposure, great coaching and team chemistry, improving as a player, getting to a professional league. Gonzaga ticks all those boxes consistently, while not many others do.

Mr Vulture
10-23-2015, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't call Ames, IA exactly a thriving metropolis. In fact, Ames has just under 60k residents whereas Spokane (city only) has over 200k. My personal expecatation is that he chooses the Cyclones but it clearly isn't about the size of the city.

Bogozags
10-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Jazz not sure your right...facts are facts...Billy Ball is prime example of how you can take facts to make them work for you...commonalities do exist and can be "plotted" to determine relativity as well as validity...would just take an enormous amount of work...ALSO, not interviewing for this nut-cake job either...again just curious

Again, Williams-Goss chose UW...wouldn't it be nice to know why he chose them over GU BUT now he is at GU?

zagfan24
10-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Agree with Jazz here. Each decision is so individual, and there are so many variables that play into the decision, I don't think it'd ever be possible to come up with common factors, at least ones that GU could do anything about.

The reality is that kids aren't always deciding "against Gonzaga". Sometimes another school is just a better fit.

It can be coaches, teammates, reputation, conference, city size, city climate, playing time, tv exposure, winning history, tournament history, distance from family, AAU sponsorship, endorsement sponsorships, NBA track record, earliness, type, and intensity of recruitment, etc. Lots of reasons all with a different priority for each person. Gonzaga could be a 99 to another school's 100 and we might never know. Plus, it's a 16-18 year old kid...adolescents are notoriously fickle and don't always make the most rational decisions.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Jazz not sure your right...facts are facts...Billy Ball is prime example of how you can take facts to make them work for you...commonalities do exist and can be "plotted" to determine relativity as well as validity...would just take an enormous amount of work...ALSO, not interviewing for this nut-cake job either...again just curious

Again, Williams-Goss chose UW...wouldn't it be nice to know why he chose them over GU BUT now he is at GU?

Bo, we hafta disagree but not cuz I am not also analytical minded. Much of the info from such a small sample would be anecdotal and plotting over a multiplicity of years would be almost wasteful as the field changes as well. I do consumer surveys on the side with universes of 1,000 or more and I can tell u that there are vectors that hold up y over y w respect to behavior etc. but with a sample size of what 3-8 kids a year, uh uh, no findings there. Just MO.

Bogozags
10-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Bo, we hafta disagree but not cuz I am not also analytical minded. Much of the info from such a small sample would be anecdotal and plotting over a multiplicity of years would be almost wasteful as the field changes as well. I do consumer surveys on the side with universes of 1,000 or more and I can tell u that there are vectors that hold up y over y w respect to behavior etc. but with a sample size of what 3-8 kids a year, uh uh, no findings there. Just MO.

Jazz, yes, I can see the tremendous difficulties in this nearly impossible, ever-changing scenario thought it might be probable but understand your explanation. Thanks for taking the time to respond! :o

LongIslandZagFan
10-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Agree with Jazz here. Each decision is so individual, and there are so many variables that play into the decision, I don't think it'd ever be possible to come up with common factors, at least ones that GU could do anything about.

The reality is that kids aren't always deciding "against Gonzaga". Sometimes another school is just a better fit.

It can be coaches, teammates, reputation, conference, city size, city climate, playing time, tv exposure, winning history, tournament history, distance from family, AAU sponsorship, endorsement sponsorships, NBA track record, earliness, type, and intensity of recruitment, etc. Lots of reasons all with a different priority for each person. Gonzaga could be a 99 to another school's 100 and we might never know. Plus, it's a 16-18 year old kid...adolescents are notoriously fickle and don't always make the most rational decisions.

Bingo!

NotoriousZ
10-23-2015, 01:14 PM

The fact that Perkins and Collins chose us is proof enough for me that we have indeed turned a corner with our recruiting. The pitfalls of being in the WCC are being negated by our early big games and even more so by our near lock of an annual trip to the big dance. The attention in March trumps whatever conference your team comes from, IMO.

Are we going to take recruits from the likes of Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina? Probably not, but as of now GU will hold it's own with just about any school out there.

Coach Crazy
10-23-2015, 02:58 PM
The fact that Perkins and Collins chose us is proof enough for me that we have indeed turned a corner with our recruiting. The pitfalls of being in the WCC are being negated by our early big games and even more so by our near lock of an annual trip to the big dance. The attention in March trumps whatever conference your team comes from, IMO.

Are we going to take recruits from the likes of Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina? Probably not, but as of now GU will hold it's own with just about any school out there.

Per our resources and situation, you could argue that GU is approaching or already arrived at being one of the best recruiting schools in the nation. The reality of that potency lends to exponential growth that eventually makes you one of the truly elite. Plus, we don't have to get some of these kids out of high school. I'll take RS Sophomores and Juniors any day. Great supplementation to a roster.

Murphy outgo lifer
10-26-2015, 10:31 AM
No way this kid comes here!

ProjectMKUltra5
10-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Multiple sauces???

NotoriousZ
10-26-2015, 10:59 AM

No way you didn't post this from your favorite spot under your bridge.

hooter73
10-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Post count... check.
Join date... check.

Nice first post, so far youre off to a great start.

ZAGGED OUT
10-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Haha, agreed Hooter.

Thanks for that overly detailed and objective post, Murphy.

TexasZagFan
10-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Post count... check.
Join date... check.

Nice first post, so for youre off to a great start.

This proves it...Jeb is cutting back on campaign staff! :lmao:

Kiddwell
10-26-2015, 11:44 AM

Murphsters, go straight over to St. Ignatius, say a prayer, then hightail it over to Memorial Gymnasium for a shoutout to Coach Rex.

:]

LongIslandZagFan
10-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Murphsters, go straight over to St. Ignatius, say a prayer, then hightail it over to Memorial Gymnasium for a shoutout to Coach Rex.

He isn't a Don.

sittingon50
10-26-2015, 12:41 PM
This proves it...Jeb is cutting back on campaign staff! :lmao:

Ouch!!

Murphy outgo lifer
10-26-2015, 12:57 PM
My goodness.... Yes, that was my first post and I have been trying to add more since I wrote it. My iPhone keeps kicking me out of the boards. I was caught with a moment of pessimism/frustration about our recruiting. I guess I thought it might be cathartic to vent it on here . Well, I was wrong about that. My belief why he won't come here is based on his FSU trip and Iowa State recruiting him so hard. I think Gonzaga has been included because of his association with Pargo but I'm not sure that is enough to get him to come here. I hope I'm wrong about that though. Sorry, for the horrible first post. I will try to do better in the future.

ZAGGED OUT
10-26-2015, 01:08 PM
My goodness.... Yes, that was my first post and I have been trying to add more since I wrote it. My iPhone keeps kicking me out of the boards. I was caught with a moment of pessimism/frustration about our recruiting. I guess I thought it might be cathartic to vent it on here . Well, I was wrong about that. My belief why he won't come here is based on his FSU trip and Iowa State recruiting him so hard. I think Gonzaga has been included because of his association with Pargo but I'm not sure that is enough to get him to come here. I hope I'm wrong about that though. Sorry, for the horrible first post. I will try to do better in the future.

I would just suggest using reasoning with your initial posts. We get a lot of trolls who find their way on to the boards to offer opinions with no base. I believe Gonzaga is in his top 3. His relationship with Pargo was enough to get him to take an official visit across the country, so to plain write GU off is premature in my opinion. Sounded like he did enjoy his FSU visit, but they do have quite the logjam at guard there. In addition, he's repeatedly said he looks for tight knit teammates and coaches who make him feel like family. Gonzaga checks off those boxes. I'm not sold that we are the leader in his recruitment, but far from "no way he comes here".

Murphy outgo lifer
10-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I would just suggest using reasoning with your initial posts. We get a lot of trolls who find their way on to the boards to offer opinions with no base. I believe Gonzaga is in his top 3. His relationship with Pargo was enough to get him to take an official visit across the country, so to plain write GU off is premature in my opinion. Sounded like he did enjoy his FSU visit, but they do have quite the logjam at guard there. In addition, he's repeatedly said he looks for tight knit teammates and coaches who make him feel like family. Gonzaga checks off those boxes. I'm not sold that we are the leader in his recruitment, but far from "no way he comes here".

I completely agree. Combination of finding my password and frustration. Is Georgetown still in the mix? I thought he was still choosing between four schools. He did say he liked how close the FSU teammates were. Definetely should not have said "no way." Hopefully he chooses Gonzaga. Shouldn't be long until he announces.

ZAGGED OUT
10-26-2015, 01:29 PM
I know Georgetown was in it, but given the silence on them recently I think they're further down his list. Seems even Illinois (juding by 247 crystal ball) is a more likely darkhorse.

sittingon50
10-26-2015, 01:57 PM

No sweat, Murph. Even my abacus is balky at times.

Kiddwell
10-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Kiddwell apologizes for the "Dons" insult, abuse, outrage. Here, a bouquet of flowers: :adored: Welcome aboard, Murph!

harryzag
10-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Iowa State insider:

@AlexHalsted: @zrheisler Think he's leaning Gonzaga, but you never know. Especially with a late visit.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Iowa State insider:

@AlexHalsted: @zrheisler Think he's leaning Gonzaga, but you never know. Especially with a late visit.

You just rustled my jimmies

TexasZagFan
10-27-2015, 04:37 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qa13GlKvkqY/TS-sFwGDnjI/AAAAAAAACwc/idC-QQXtirU/s1600/lego-ninjago-minifigures-cole-head.jpg

You darn well better...

FWIW, I usually don't have issues with posting with my Iphone, except for the fact that the autospell function keeps me on high alert. Welcome to the forum!

TheGonzagaFactor
10-27-2015, 07:18 AM
We're always going to be at a disadvantage in recruiting because of the WCC. Kids coming out of high school are hesitant about that, when they honestly shouldn't be. I think that's why we do much better with transfers. A lot of the time after being swayed to a big conference school, the glitz and glamour of it all wears off, and a player is left thinking about what really should matter in choosing a school as a serious athlete; winning, national exposure, great coaching and team chemistry, improving as a player, getting to a professional league. Gonzaga ticks all those boxes consistently, while not many others do.

These big recruits like Norvell that we've been chasing... they don't want to play in just any professional league. They aren't going to say "wow, the Zags sure do have a few role players in Europe, I want to do that!" Big recruits want to play somewhere that gives them a legitimate shot at being a starter/impact player in the NBA, and we flat out haven't done that at the rate several power schools have. We're getting better, though. Maybe if Norvell was 2 years younger and had a chance to see Perkins go from HS to 1st round pick or something like that under Few, we'd already have him by this time of year.

We may get to a point of being able to recruit with the big boys consistently, but even if we do, the WCC will always be a hindrance on how well we recruit. If we get the best recruiting class in the NCAA, chances are very good that it would be better if we are in a power conference.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Top 10 encumbrances are: 1 through 9, the WCC; number 10 the NBA placement rate.

hooter73
10-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Found this on the Twittersphere:
Can confirm that Steve Prohm is in Illinois to see Zach Norvell tonight as reported by @TravisHines21. Expect a decision within a week.

basketballzag
10-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Found this on the Twittersphere:

Last ditch effort to change his mind.

hooter73
10-27-2015, 07:38 AM
Iowa State insider:

Cant find that Tweet specifically. Wish I could to FAVORITE it!

exclusivelee
10-27-2015, 08:37 AM
https://twitter.com/ZagsGuru/status/659045579759071232

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/27/d8831d808ddc7ec98f0da2aaa68c2a10.jpg

maynard g krebs
10-27-2015, 10:27 AM
You just rustled my jimmies

That sounded vaguely obscene, so I had to look it up. I must be old or something:)

scrooner
10-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Big recruits want to play somewhere that gives them a legitimate shot at being a starter/impact player in the NBA, and we flat out haven't done that at the rate several power schools have.

I think that has to do with the player, not the school. Do you think Ammo would have been a better defender, or Pargo a better outside shooter, if they had gone to different schools?

LongIslandZagFan
10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
These big recruits like Norvell that we've been chasing... they don't want to play in just any professional league. They aren't going to say "wow, the Zags sure do have a few role players in Europe, I want to do that!" Big recruits want to play somewhere that gives them a legitimate shot at being a starter/impact player in the NBA, and we flat out haven't done that at the rate several power schools have. We're getting better, though. Maybe if Norvell was 2 years younger and had a chance to see Perkins go from HS to 1st round pick or something like that under Few, we'd already have him by this time of year.

We may get to a point of being able to recruit with the big boys consistently, but even if we do, the WCC will always be a hindrance on how well we recruit. If we get the best recruiting class in the NCAA, chances are very good that it would be better if we are in a power conference.

Honest question... how many has Florida State produced lately? Hint... not many lately. More Zags in the NBA then Noles right now. Iowa State even less. In fact more Zags are currently in the NBA than from those two schools combined.

Zagcity
10-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Honest question... how many has Florida State produced lately? Hint... not many lately. More Zags in the NBA then Noles right now. Iowa State even less. In fact more Zags are currently in the NBA than from those two schools combined.

Check and maybe even mate

LongIslandZagFan
10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Check and maybe even mate

Heck I left off Illinois who actually has less active players in the NBA (2).

I only bring them up because that is who GU is competing with.

That said, if he picks another school... cool... perhaps it was a better fit.

kitzbuel
10-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Heck I left off Illinois who actually has less active players in the NBA (2).

I only bring them up because that is who GU is competing with.

That said, if he picks another school... cool... perhaps it was a better fit.

Plus the players that Gonzaga has in the League were either not projected to be in the League when they started college or were not projected to go as high as they did. It can easily be argued that GU improved their NBA potential.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Plus the players that Gonzaga has in the League were either not projected to be in the League when they started college or were not projected to go as high as they did. It can easily be argued that GU improved their NBA potential.

I have a feeling that this will be the next "step" in the process once NWG takes the floor. I really think if he shoots the ball well from three, which I think he will, he's going to bounce to the League after his first season. Between him and turning Wiljter into a fringe 2nd round pick after what he displayed at UK, I think Gonzaga will start to lose this perception that GU can't develop NBA talent

seacatfan
10-27-2015, 02:39 PM
I have a feeling that this will be the next "step" in the process once NWG takes the floor. I really think if he shoots the ball well from three, which I think he will, he's going to bounce to the League after his first season. Between him and turning Wiljter into a fringe 2nd round pick after what he displayed at UK, I think Gonzaga will start to lose this perception that GU can't develop NBA talent

Shouldn't Olynk have already been a good indication of that? NWG might end up in the League sooner, but Perkins has this whole year to wow the country, he might start to change some perceptions as well.

Coach Crazy
10-27-2015, 02:52 PM

That leaves 4 potential draft picks. That's blue blood territory.

ZAGGED OUT
10-27-2015, 02:54 PM

To be fair, they haven't produced in many in the past. HOWEVER, the recruits they have been getting recently all have lots of NBA hype. They started getting a good amount of 4 and 5 star recruits (lots of guards) in the last couple years.

MDABE80
10-27-2015, 03:11 PM
I guess it matters if we get kids in the NBA. I don't look at this kid as NBA this or that. Maybe somebody knows better. HE seems like a solid prospect who can shoot the lights out in high school. He's got size and shooting. Most of our players who start scored 20 ppg in HS as well. They don't shoot that well when they get to D1. It's pretty rare to have kid's HS game seemessly convert to the samr or ismilar numbers once they get into college.
I hope he wants a good education and a degree like Jeremy did. It lasts forever. The ethic these kids have and expand upon as they finish here is untouchable. They represent us and themseves very well in life.

I like this young kid. I hope we get him. He's got good things we can use and vice versa.
Is he NBA bound? In some sense it doesn't matter. In the recruiting world going forward, it does. In a FF sense, it's unknown.

But, I'd rather have a scoring kid with size than not. Seems like a great kid. No trouble. Wants to learn and get better. We can handle that.

ProjectMKUltra5
10-27-2015, 03:34 PM
That leaves 4 potential draft picks. That's blue blood territory.

Exactly, we're probably gunna be in more of a rebuilding mode in 17 and 18 but I have a feeling we're about to reach some new heights as far individual players are concerned.

exclusivelee
11-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Big decision for Norvell tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/01/5980f4b6ca459024b47494ade110040a.jpg

cjm720
11-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Love this kids game....

RRZagFan
11-01-2015, 06:05 PM
2 picks for Gonzaga in last hour at 24/7 sports,including Jerry Meyer :pray:

exclusivelee
11-01-2015, 06:26 PM
2 picks for Gonzaga in last hour at 24/7 sports,including Jerry Meyer [emoji14]ray:
Good to see, but Jerry predicted Nolan Narain would choose Gonzaga too. Jerry also made a late crystal ball pick for Matisse Thybulle to commit to the Zags when all signs pointed to him choosing UDub...

I really want Norvell at Gonzaga

jazzdelmar
11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Good to see, but Jerry predicted Nolan Narain would choose Gonzaga too. Jerry also made a late crystal ball pick for Matisse Thybulle to commit to the Zags when all signs pointed to him choosing UDub...

I really want Norvell at Gonzaga

Does SDSU have scholies left?

exclusivelee
11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Does SDSU have scholies left?
SDSU has 1 open scholarship for 2016 (Malik Pope could leave early so I think 2 openings may be more likely)

Looks like SDSU is concentrating on recruiting 5-star forward TJ Leaf and 4-star forward Trevor Stanback

ProjectMKUltra5
11-01-2015, 07:10 PM
https://pastorhunt.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/boy-and-dog-praying.jpg

doctorzag
11-01-2015, 07:27 PM
2 picks for Gonzaga in last hour at 24/7 sports,including Jerry Meyer :pray:

Four outta five pick Zags now. All from today. Looks good. Only one not picking Zags was a prediction from May.

MDABE80
11-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Ultra......just a perfect and spectacular photo! Well done.

ZagsGoZags
11-02-2015, 02:41 AM
still laughing from the photo ....

bartruff1
11-02-2015, 03:59 AM
What a great photo....made my morning...

scrooner
11-02-2015, 05:32 AM

I bet we have more players in the NFL too.

strikenowhere
11-02-2015, 05:36 AM

Ouch! +1

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Big decision for Norvell tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/01/5980f4b6ca459024b47494ade110040a.jpg

Nearing 9am in Chicago.....guess Mr. Norvell's announcement will happen during P.E. class.....or do they let him out of class for this kind of thing? :-)

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Perhaps, but our football team is undefeated for over 70 years.

Zagdawg
11-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 13m13 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Adam Zagoria Retweeted Zachary Norvell
All signs pointing to Gonzaga

"Zachary Norvell
‏@ZackN_22
I'll be making my college decision tomorrow morning between the final four schools Florida State, Iowa State, Gonzaga, and Georgetown"

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Good start to the day

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Zach-Norvell-at-Simeon-59268/CurrentExpertPredictions
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/59d6277011ba9607732af4c0dd7e220b.jpg

ProjectMKUltra5
11-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Mac Irvin Fire (his AAU team) just tweeted out that he would announce at 10:30

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 06:42 AM
Less than 50 min

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Less than 50 min

Good thing he's in the Central Time Zone, the suspense is intense.

bigblahla
11-02-2015, 06:58 AM
:000tens::cheers::000tens:

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:04 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/9c830567WqLCw/giphy.gif

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 07:17 AM
10 votes and 100% for Norvell to Gonzaga now

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Zach-Norvell-at-Simeon-59268/CurrentExpertPredictions

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:19 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/9c830567WqLCw/giphy.gif

That's not you with the beard, is it? :lmao:

LongIslandZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:24 AM
That's not you with the beard, is it? :lmao:

Dude... I ain't as old you! :D

ProjectMKUltra5
11-02-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm refreshing twitter like a madman

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:30 AM
I've never had a beard like that, either. Will rarely sport a goatee. Last time I shaved my 'stache was my official photo after making Captain. Back then, facial hair was verboten.

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm refreshing twitter like a madman

We're all getting twitter-pated today.

LongIslandZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:32 AM
I've never had a beard like that, either. Will rarely sport a goatee. Last time I shaved my 'stache was my official photo after making Captain. Back then, facial hair was verboten.

I'll be honest... I'd LOVE to be able to grow ANY beard... think goatee is all I can pull off.

hooter73
11-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Waiting, waiting, waiting....

LongIslandZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Waiting, waiting, waiting....

Think he forgot it was 10:30 his time?

strikenowhere
11-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Last ditch calls during the school day from desperate coaches

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Does he know we're on Standard Time?

thespywhozaggedme
11-02-2015, 07:47 AM
I was surprised to find out that Collins is actually the higher rated recruit.

MBZags
11-02-2015, 07:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post/_/id/14744/four-star-shooting-guard-zach-norvell-chooses-gonzaga

Got him. Welcome, Zach!

007Zag
11-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Nice!!!

cjm720
11-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Woohooooooo, welcome Zach N!!!!!!

Zaga
11-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Awesome for the program. Congrats Zach

scott257
11-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Nice start to a Monday! Good Job Coaches.

willandi
Welcome to tha Zags! You will have a great carreer here and in the future!

LMUZAG
Fantastic! Welcome Zach!

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Yes!!!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/7d29b2a3e55ce03a6d4668b7822ccc3d.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/6131bfe85bfd82df34102ae4b88535b2.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/ceeb9a5ad663917ae7532029eebaa609.jpg

HenneZag
11-02-2015, 08:00 AM
I love eating my own crow!

Huge get! Welcome Mr. Norvell!

LongIslandZagFan
11-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Awesome!

ProjectMKUltra5
11-02-2015, 08:02 AM
It's smaller but this class will be comparable to 2014 as far as impact goes imo. So freaking awesome

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
I love eating my own crow!

Huge get! Welcome Mr. Norvell!

Always feels better when the Zags land someone you you don't expect them to get.

So many letdowns the last year and finally some recruiting battles are going our way

hooter73
11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
SWEET!

Zagdawg
11-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Outstanding News!!

New 2016 players--- Great group of players

Norvell
Williams
Jones
Goss
Collins
Tillie

http://www.prephoopsillinois.com/news_article/show/571266?referrer_id=1205869

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 08:17 AM
A lot of articles to read but here's one on Norvell's decision to choose GU:

Zack Norvell to Gonzaga
11/02/2015, 10:30am CST
By Scott Burgess

State's Top Wing Discusses Commitment to Zags!

The state’s top wing prospect and #2 overall player in the class of 2016 Simeon shooting guard Zack Norvell just made his college announcement. Norvell told us his choice and why.

“It is Gonzaga. First the great relationship that me and the coach built during the time period of them recruiting me. The amazing and winning tradition that they have. The group of guys they are going to have coming in. Like I said it was the coaching staff.”

Norvell broke down how he feels he will fit into Gonzaga’s system?

"I feel like I will fit in great. They really develop their guards. From the time they are there until a couple months pass they grow using the ball screens. They know how to use and read ball screens. I feel like that is great. Also with all three guard spots being able to get the ball off the glass and push every possession is amazing. They have a lot of unselfish guys. I feel like I can fit in really well with that and they have a lot of guys that just want to win. They just want to get it done and I think I fit perfectly in that.”

Gonzaga was Norvell’s first official visit and what he took from that trip held all the way through his last of four. He talked about what he took away from the trip to the Northwest.

“The amazing fan base they have. All their games have been sold out. All the fans go crazy on game day. Zag Nation is just amazing. How much support all the players get no matter what. The first guy to the last guy. The couple days I was there when they had workouts all the guys went extremely hard. I feel like I can get pushed to my limits. I feel like I can have a great chance to play at the next level.”

Norvell spoke about when he made the actual call and knew where his future home would be.

“After all four of my visits I sat down and talked to my family and my dad. We talked about how much Gonzaga stood out and how I felt when I was there. How it felt like home away from home and I felt comfortable with the guys and they treat me like family. The coaching staff was always there to talk to me and give me pieces of advice. I felt comfortable talking to them during the time period I was there. I felt I can get used to that.”

Norvell took official visits to Florida State, Iowa State, and Georgetown in addition to Gonzaga. He is one of the true top players in the state’s 2016 class as he is the #1 shooting guard and #2 overall prospect.

What makes Norvell such a coveted prospect at the next level? The Simeon 6’4” shooting guard is a lefty that has been on the radar since entering high school. We first saw him at the Fab Frosh Camp before his freshman season. His game has steadily progressed over the last three seasons. The lefty shooting guard can really score the basketball. Early in his career he was known more as a spot up shooter. Norvell still does that well, but has diversified his shooting and is very effective pulling up from the mid-range with a quick flip of the wrist release. He gets great height off the floor on his shot and has sound mechanics. His efficiency as a scorer improved when he realized he could consistently get to the basket off the bounce. Norvell has improved his ball handling and ability to slash to the basket with more regularity.

Where his game has really developed is in becoming an all-around player. His passing has improved over the last year with the ball being placed in his hands more especially for his high school team at Simeon. He is a plus rebounding guard that can get the ball off the backboard and push in transition. Defensively he does a nice job getting his hands on balls using his length and creating turnovers.

Norvell ran with the Mac Irvin Fire throughout his career on the travel team circuit. This past spring in the Nike EYBL he led the team in scoring averaging 14.5 points per game shooting 41% from the field along with 4.5 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 2.2 steals per contest.

Next up for the Simeon senior will be one last run at a state championship. He captured one his freshman year and is looking to bookend his career with another in March. Norvell is also among the top contenders for Mr. Basketball in the state of Illinois.

thespywhozaggedme
11-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the family Zachary!

kitzbuel
11-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Outstanding! Welcome to Gonzaga!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Immediately wants to win. Wish Jonah Mathews and Bennie Boatwright wanted that too. Glad to have Norvell, though

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/14744&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanNorvellNewser

Four-star shooting guard Zach Norvell chooses Gonzaga

Jeff Goodman, ESPN Insider

Gonzaga has gone to the Midwest for its most recent commitment, landing ESPN 100 shooting guard Zach Norvell.

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound product of Chicago's famed Simeon Career Academy -- the same school that produced both Derrick Rose and Jabari Parker -- chose Mark Few's program over Iowa State, Florida State and Georgetown.

“It felt like the best fit for me,” Norvell told ESPN. “I feel as though I can come in and have an impact. It’s an amazing team and an amazing program. I love the coaching staff and the players. The history and tradition of winning was important to me. They have been to 16 straight NCAA tournaments. That’s crazy.”

Norvell (ESPN, No. 76), who starred for the Jabari Parker-coached Mac Irvin Fire on the AAU circuit this past summer, turned heads with a 53-point outing in Las Vegas in July. Norvell connected on 11 three-pointers in that contest, after which his number of college offers began to swell. Norvell visited Iowa State, Florida State and Georgetown, but ultimately opted to settle in Spokane.

“I was able to see all the different things the schools had to offer,” he said. “I’m glad I took all the visits. To me, it showed me how much I wanted to be there.”

Norvell, a lefty wing, said that he’ll bring more than just his perimeter shot to Spokane.

“I will bring a lot of toughness and a high basketball IQ,” he said. “I come from a program with a history of winning and that’s one of the main reasons I picked Gonzaga.”

TheGonzagaFactor
11-02-2015, 08:29 AM
GOT

HEEEEEEEEEM!!!!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Welcome aboard Zach!!
Congratulations on earning a scholarship...enjoy your senior year young man!!

SteelZag
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
#####in'!

:cheers:

DukeSilver
11-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Norvell
Williams
Jones
Goss
Collins
Tillie

That's gotta be a Top-5 group ... Norvell is a great get for the Zags, brings a lot to the table that we've been missing in the past few seasons - a pure SG with great length and athleticism to go with his scoring skill.

Even with the tough misses earlier in the recruiting season, this has the potential to be the Zags' best class yet.

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Got to love that size for a combo guard: 6'6" !!!!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/cbf40bdf8ac1779bb45a916729d4c907.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/8ebc005a534923e8a84f7714ecb50521.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/6a2c8828df25f78bff1d3ed3061801f5.jpg

cggonzaga
11-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Finally got that 6'6" athletic wing (2-3) type! Next year's class is pretty amazing. No downturn in the near future.

jchocolate99
11-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Finally got that 6'6" athletic wing (2-3) type! Next year's class is pretty amazing. No downturn in the near future.

hahaha beat me to it... was going to say the same thing NOW we have our athletic wing and can stop trying to envision PF's at the position... With Alberts there that should create some great competition and with Nigel-Williams coming that will make great competition at the 2 guard spot with Melson

exclusivelee
11-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Pargo and Dickau are having a nice exchange on twitter regarding Norvell:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/7ea7a9d5757e001c7e5cda27d521eab8.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/03ae0cf56ab7033b24876dc06a681538.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/ee0a89811a13b423476bc4734596c387.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/19c192ff65b678991b989f240ff09ae1.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/aa5f53373a595315bd2b7f766d26c00a.jpg

MickMick
11-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Championship!

sittingon50
11-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Wow. A big welcome, Zach.

This one surprised me.

webspinnre
11-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Fabulous, welcome aboard! Love his size.

MDABE80
11-02-2015, 09:36 AM
A huge shout out to Jeremy on this;)
Very good hunting Staff.
Landing this kid is amazing when one considers the competition for him.

ZAGGED OUT
11-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Knew we had a good chance at Zach. This is such a huge get that rounds out our amazing class so well. Zags getting a foot in the doors of Simeon and Bishop Gorman in the same year is HUGE. No drop off waiting in the near future!! Zags truly starting to consistently reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007Zag
11-02-2015, 10:04 AM
You have to love that exchange between Dickau and Pargo. Two studs talking each other up, and you can tell they mean it.

BobZag
11-02-2015, 10:07 AM
This 2016 recruiting class, including the two redshirt transfers, is shaping up to one for the ages at lil ol' Gonzageeee.

RRZagFan
11-02-2015, 10:11 AM
A Good article why Gonzaga stood out

madness
11-02-2015, 10:23 AM
This 2016 recruiting class, including the two redshirt transfers, is shaping up to one for the ages at lil ol' Gonzageeee.

Talent at every position, talk about reloading! Fantastic Monday news!

Worthington
11-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Such a good fit. Norvell can shoot the heck out of the ball, but is an unselfish playmaker. From everything I've seen and read, he strikes me as a TEAM first guy who can get his own when need be.

Zagricultural
11-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Welcome Zach! You made a great choice, and we are definitely rooting for you!

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Agreed BZ....3 true freshmen next year: Collins, Tillie, Norvell is amazing enough. Then you add in the three transfers eligible next season: Williams-Goss; Williams, Jones and it's enough to make a Zag fan giddy all over. Amazing distribution of talent and depth at every position for next couple years.

Idahomie
11-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Knew we had a good chance at Zach. This is such a huge get that rounds out our amazing class so well. Zags getting a foot in the doors of Simeon and Bishop Gorman in the same year is HUGE. No drop off waiting in the near future!! Zags truly starting to consistently reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only did we get our foot in the door at Bishop Gorman (Collins) and Simeon Academy (Norvell), but we also have players from Huntington Prep (Perkins) and Findlay Prep (Williams-Goss).

We will have four elite prep school players on the same Zags roster. Let that sink in for a moment. Unbelievable!

That is the definition of elite recruiting. I never thought I would see the day.

And that's not to mention, Tillie, J. Williams, Melson, Alberts, Jones, Edwards! And if Sabonis can be enticed for one more year, good grief!!

In the words of Ice Cube "Today was a good day (to be a zag)". I added that last part, but I'm sure he'd feel the same way.

jazzdelmar
11-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Sure could use the young man's flame throwing left handed shot this year......

TexasZagFan
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM

I'm a rebel by today's standards: no tats, no piercings. For the past 10 years, I decided I would get a tat when the Zags won the title. It's time to do some serious designing.

Not that I wasn't ready last year. I would've had four hours to think about it on the drive back to Dallas from Houston. It was a peaceful drive back, everyone else was asleep.

maynard g krebs
11-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Such a good fit. Norvell can shoot the heck out of the ball, but is an unselfish playmaker. From everything I've seen and read, he strikes me as a TEAM first guy who can get his own when need be.

Haven't seen anything but the clips of him shooting, but what stands out to me from AAU stats as much as the shooting is the 4.5 rebounds from the guard spot and 2.2 steals. Nose for the ball.

As a lefty myself, I'm excited to have a lefty sg coming in. Adds another dimension offensively.

ProjectMKUltra5
11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Not only did we get our foot in the door at Bishop Gorman (Collins) and Simeon Academy (Norvell), but we also have players from Huntington Prep (Perkins) and Findlay Prep (Williams-Goss).

We will have four elite prep school players on the same Zags roster. Let that sink in for a moment. Unbelievable!

That is the definition of elite recruiting. I never thought I would see the day.

And that's not to mention, Tillie, J. Williams, Melson, Alberts, Jones, Edwards! And if Sabonis can be enticed for one more year, good grief!!

In the words of Ice Cube "Today was a good day (to be a zag)". I added that last part, but I'm sure he'd feel the same way.

https://media.giphy.com/media/CkKg32KdKyMve/giphy.gif

maynard g krebs
11-02-2015, 11:39 AM

I remember when the Zags were recruiting Garfield's Jerry Petty out of North Id CC, hoping he'd be the guy who replaced Q Hall. Amazing how times have changed.

Malastein
11-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Awesome! Cant wait to see what he will bring to the team next year. In a couple of the photos he had the same sort of intense look that Russell Westbrook has. 6'6 athletic forward is certainly one of the missing ingredients to this year's team. Any chance he could start a year early?

Zagceo
11-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Awesome! Cant wait to see what he will bring to the team next year. In a couple of the photos he had the same sort of intense look that Russell Westbrook has. 6'6 athletic forward is certainly one of the missing ingredients to this year's team. Any chance he could start a year early?

maybe the look of Westbrook but not the same size. ;-D

MTZag03
11-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Wow. Great news. Recruiting really has gone up to ridiculous levels. I don't see us getting much more talent than this. Other than landing a 5 star guy with a class there isn't that much more the staff can do to improve. And I'd gladly take a class filled with team first 4 star players that fit the system than worry about a 5 star guy. Great get by GU.

PHSBBall
11-02-2015, 02:54 PM

This is a great pickup for the zags, with Perkins and NWG on the roster getting a kid with the scoring ability of Norvell seemed to be their highest priority.

Now I've only seen him play a handful of times in person but I'm not so sure about the team first playmaking comments that so many continue to use to describe Norvells game. I watched his 53 point game in person, his teammates were not included at all as every possession started and ended with him shooting the ball.

The kid is far from being a team first playmaker, but the zags were not looking for that as they already have several on the roster for 2016. They wanted a "killer" that could score at a high level and that's exactly what they got. Norvell has ice water in his veins, really confused by all the attempts to portray him in any different light.

Baseline
11-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Great addition to the Zags!

We now have a naming issue, 2 Zach's to identify.

Nevada Don
11-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Re Zach Norvell, I gotta' throw the Flag against Gonzaga, 15 yards for "piling on".

CDC84
11-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your assistance Mr. Pargo :)

DixieZag
11-02-2015, 03:30 PM
This recruiting class is just stupid.

Amazing times.

Will be fun.

GonzaGAW
11-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Outstanding News!!

Norvell
Williams
Jones
Goss
Collins
Tillie

I've read all the happy posts, and this is the one that stands out to me. what a freshman/transfer class!
when you toss in alberts, melson and perkins, sabonis where do you find the minutes for everyone? question for another day, I'm just saying.

also want to give a shout out to jeremy pargo, thx for another great assist. ain't the zag family grand.

least I forget, young Zach, welcome welcome welcome. we are as happy as you are.

zag67
11-02-2015, 05:28 PM
And do not forget Edwards at center. This team is going to be fun to watch for the next few years. Now I just have to stay healthy enough to watch them in Vegas. Minutes will work themselves out.

jazzdelmar
11-02-2015, 05:40 PM
I've read all the happy posts, and this is the one that stands out to me. what a freshman/transfer class!
when you toss in alberts, melson and perkins, sabonis where do you find the minutes for everyone? question for another day, I'm just saying.

also want to give a shout out to jeremy pargo, thx for another great assist. ain't the zag family grand.

least I forget, young Zach, welcome welcome welcome. we are as happy as you are.

Expect some red shirts.

Kiddwell
11-02-2015, 05:47 PM
:adored: O, joy! And he's 6-6! :adored:

*Zach Collins -> 85-Rated 4-Star (ESPN)
*Zach Norvell -> 82-Rated 4-Star (ESPN)
---------------------------------------
*Josh Perkins -> 86-Rated 4-Star (ESPN)
*Jesse Wade -> 80-rated 4-Star (ESPN)
*Nigel Williams-Goss -> 91-Rated 5-Star (ESPN)/ McDonald's All-American
*Jonathan Williams -> 87-Rated 4-Star (ESPN)
----------------------------------------
*Domas Sabonis -> "Top-15 recruit in USA," said Fran Fraschilla, had Domas high-schooled in USA
*Killian Tillie -> pursued by Zags for two years; also recruited by Georgia Tech & Utah (4-star???)

RenoZag
11-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Any thoughts ( from those who follow this stuff closely) on how Wade and Norvell will operate together ?

Zagceo
11-02-2015, 06:02 PM
This is a great pickup for the zags, with Perkins and NWG on the roster getting a kid with the scoring ability of Norvell seemed to be their highest priority.

Now I've only seen him play a handful of times in person but I'm not so sure about the team first playmaking comments that so many continue to use to describe Norvells game. I watched his 53 point game in person, his teammates were not included at all as every possession started and ended with him shooting the ball.

The kid is far from being a team first playmaker, but the zags were not looking for that as they already have several on the roster for 2016. They wanted a "killer" that could score at a high level and that's exactly what they got. Norvell has ice water in his veins, really confused by all the attempts to portray him in any different light.

His interview with ESPN he mentioned sharing the ball could have influenced me…………….but I'll ask a question……in his 53 point game…….did his teammates at some point get upset?

Zagceo
11-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Any thoughts ( from those who follow this stuff closely) on how Wade and Norvell will operate together ?

I'm hoping like those two at Golden State that never get tired of each other…….forget the names…………..not really.

Sarenyon
11-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Welcome Zach!!!

NotoriousZ
11-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your assistance Mr. Pargo :)

Yes! And great job coaching staff...just amazing. Welcome Zach!

PHSBBall
11-02-2015, 09:16 PM
His interview with ESPN he mentioned sharing the ball could have influenced me…………….but I'll ask a question……in his 53 point game…….did his teammates at some point get upset?

I definitely have seen those statements from him and his coach as well as in stories on other recruiting sites so I hope I didn't come across as singling you out as that was not my intention. Gonzaga was looking for somebody with a scorers mentality and that is exactly what they got in Norvell, he is what they needed in that class.

I don't think his teammates were upset, they just didn't get to be involved much on the offensive end of the court lol.

Zagger
11-03-2015, 04:02 AM
Yes! And great job coaching staff...just amazing. Welcome Zach!
Jeremy, staff, fans!, and how well the Zag players gell as a family. Prolly the 'family' ranks high up there in choices made by international players too. Home away from home. Spokane ain't a half bad place either :) Go Zags!

WallaWallaZag
11-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Great addition to the Zags!

We now have a naming issue, 2 Zach's to identify.

norvell actually prefers to shorten his zachary to zacK with a "k" so there's your differentiation...

ZagsGoZags
11-03-2015, 08:58 AM
its a great day to be a zag!

#1bulldogfan
11-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Z1/Z2 simple also leaves room for a Z3 and Z4:lmao:

Coach Crazy
11-03-2015, 10:42 AM

Wade is also a game, and can play off the ball. That combination is actually going to be pretty crappy for opposing teams to have to defend. Zach has excellent body control and knows how to use his body when taking on contact. His size will present some problems for exterior defenders, and that should allow Wade some room to shoot less contested.

strikenowhere
11-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Wade is also a game, and can play off the ball. That combination is actually going to be pretty crappy for opposing teams to have to defend. Zach has excellent body control and knows how to use his body when taking on contact. His size will present some problems for exterior defenders, and that should allow Wade some room to shoot less contested.

I have visions of 3's raining down from all over the friggin' court with these two!

Coach Crazy
11-03-2015, 11:34 AM
I have visions of 3's raining down from all over the friggin' court with these two!

It has the potential to be bombs over Baghdad, for sure. It will be interesting to see if Jesse grows at all on his mission. Would love to see him come back 6'3" or 6'4".

scott257
11-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Usually I have nothing to add from down in Texas, but I met a Mr. Daniyal Robinson at DFW (airport) today while we were both waiting for a flight to Little Rock. Mr. Robinson was wearing a nice set of Iowa State sweats and appeared to be tall enough to have played basketball. Turns out (at least from his account) he was the lead assistant coach that was recruiting Zach. He said this came down to the wire the night before, and that Pargo seemed to have more influence than the kids dad in making the decision. Not sure who he was headed to see here in Little Rock.

jazzdelmar
11-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Usually I have nothing to add from down in Texas, but I met a Mr. Daniyal Robinson at DFW (airport) today while we were both waiting for a flight to Little Rock. Mr. Robinson was wearing a nice set of Iowa State sweats and appeared to be tall enough to have played basketball. Turns out (at least from his account) he was the lead assistant coach that was recruiting Zach. He said this came down to the wire the night before, and that Pargo seemed to have more influence than the kids dad in making the decision. Not sure who he was headed to see here in Little Rock.

Did you out yourself as a GU fan? Say anything about the kid?

scott257
11-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Did you out yourself as a GU fan? Say anything about the kid?

Certainly did identify myself as a GU fan, although we didn't have much time to talk before boarding. He wasn't happy about losing the kid to us, but he did compliment the Gonzaga program. I clearly had the impression that he thought he had the Dad's support. Said the kid can shoot the lights out.

DixieZag
11-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Certainly did identify myself as a GU fan, although we didn't have much time to talk before boarding. He wasn't happy about losing the kid to us, but he did compliment the Gonzaga program. I clearly had the impression that he thought he had the Dad's support. Said the kid can shoot the lights out.

Thank you for the cool info.

scott257
11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
One other thing he said that interested me, but that I didn't get a chance to find out more about was a comment about it going down to the wire the night before. I may have been mistaken but I think he said it went right up to midnight. It made me wonder if the decision was made then, or if his contact ended then. I didn't find out. Not that it matters now but this seems to have been a very close contest that Pargo's influence made the difference for sure.

kitzbuel
11-03-2015, 06:05 PM
I must have just missed you in DFW.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Lewey
11-03-2015, 08:23 PM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Zagceo http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=1141892#post1141892) His interview with ESPN he mentioned sharing the ball could have influenced me…………….but I'll ask a question……in his 53 point game…….did his teammates at some point get upset?

This video with highlights of him in the game sure don't look like his team was upset. Look real supportive of him, including pouring water on him in celebration after the game!

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/07/26/four-star-class-of-2016-guard-zach-norvell-scores-53-points-drops-14-3-pointers-in-las-vegas-video/