PDA

View Full Version : New Coach/Staff member

Zag_Alum
08-31-2015, 11:02 AM
I heard there is a new coach on staff, does anyone have any insight?

sittingon50
08-31-2015, 11:52 AM
John Jakus has taken over for the retired Jerry Krause as Director of Operations, but he was on the bench last year.

I also understand Alex Hernandez has left his grad asst. position to pursue a job in the private sector. Assume he will be replaced.

Zag_Alum
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
The name of the new guy is Doug Wojcik I believe.

Snagglezag
08-31-2015, 12:07 PM
The name of the new guy is Doug Wojcik I believe.

Same fella? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24711846/charleston-settles-with-fired-coach-doug-wojcik-for-400k

CDC84
08-31-2015, 12:13 PM
This is your director of basketball ops:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/john_jakus_972165.html

If there is a new coach, it would be a grad assistant to replace Alex.

Zag365
08-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Same fella? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24711846/charleston-settles-with-fired-coach-doug-wojcik-for-400k

and too senior for Alex's job.

exclusivelee
08-31-2015, 01:32 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/31/3971232c93c1c349eec8cd2228847ca4.jpg

Sounds like his kids have moved to Spokane, already have a good relationship with Few's kids, and his oldest son Paxson, may be a freshman at G Prep. May turn out to be a recruiting target for the 2019 class

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/31/9369f5952df79cf837e63788850cb84b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/31/b65da4901d7d8f11be90b8efc8be1ac4.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/31/1e0e3ce08e6bf99a28fcf6b0185b9678.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/31/46ed583356d7b666731855d2d8ae79f1.jpg

sittingon50
08-31-2015, 02:09 PM
So if I'm not mistaken, he was the head coach @ Tulsa that recruited ( & got) Eric McClellan out of HS. Can anyone confirm my math?

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 02:50 PM
He was a college teammate of David Robinson at Navy.

I looked at his coaching record, seems like he got a quick hook at both Tulsa and College of Charleston. Anybody know what's up with that?

peg645
08-31-2015, 07:00 PM
He was an assistant to the doomed Matt Doherty at Carolina. I think he was also his assistant at Notre Dame, where Matt D should have stayed.

Zag 77
09-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I guess if we can let players redeem themselves when they screw up, the same can be done for coaches.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/08/05/college-charleston-fires-men-hoop-coach-doug-wojcik-following-verbal-abuse/

TexasZagFan
09-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I guess if we can let players redeem themselves when they screw up, the same can be done for coaches.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/08/05/college-charleston-fires-men-hoop-coach-doug-wojcik-following-verbal-abuse/

Coach Few needs a "bad cop" to go with his "good cop"? What does the new coach bring to the table?

DixieZag
09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Coach Few needs a "bad cop" to go with his "good cop"? What does the new coach bring to the table?

It's a great question.

But, the only real answer is:Few and the folks down there know exactly what it is he brings to the table and want it.to be a part of the program. Jobs at GU, anywhere at GU, are at a premium now and nowhere more than around the basketball programs. I think the competition is fierce and he must have really impressed them.

Zag 77
09-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I thought Few was the bad cop and Tommy was the good cop. Have you not seen Few's "Death Stare?"

ProjectMKUltra5
09-01-2015, 01:20 PM

Intensity, 9 years of head coaching experience winning 60% of his games, and he's probably itching to get back to coaching. Not that I'm geeking out over this hire or anything but you can do ALOT worse then this guy, warts and all.

Plus I've always maintained that Few isn't necessarily the angel people want him to be so this hire doesn't really suprise me.

Goshzagit
09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Multiple reports and issues re: verbally abusing players at TWO different institutions.

Hmmm…a single mistake or is this a trend?

I trust in the staff's decision, and he obviously interviews well, yet when times are tough….what are Coach Wojcik's true colors?

I have a hunch verbal abuse isn't accepted or an issue for Coach Lloyd, Few, Michaelson, or Daniels.

Hope he's 'recovered' from past woes and ready to bring his best, and most appropriate, foot forward at GU.

Last thing we need in the LockerRoom is a hot head or Coach Rex-type.

zagsfanforlife
09-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Multiple reports and issues re: verbally abusing players at TWO different institutions.

Hmmm…a single mistake or is this a trend?

I trust in the staff's decision, and he obviously interviews well, yet when times are tough….what are Coach Wojcik's true colors?

I have a hunch verbal abuse isn't accepted or an issue for Coach Lloyd, Few, Michaelson, or Daniels.

Hope he's 'recovered' from past woes and ready to bring his best, and most appropriate, foot forward at GU.

Last thing we need in the LockerRoom is a hot head or Coach Rex-type.

Having been on a college staff before, i can tell you its a hell of a lot harder to be a "hard a$$" and player abuser as an assistant coach then as a head coach. As an assistant, if he gets out of line, Few tells him to knock it off (which he better listen to). If it happens a couple more times, Few replaces him. For a guy that has been accused of this twice as you say, one more strike, and he can kiss his college coaching career goodbye. I doubt there will be any issues.

GoZags
09-01-2015, 03:06 PM

He and Few have been friends for a looooong time. Not Ray Giacoletti "close" but a good friend nonetheless.

I saw a post or two about how well he "interviewed". That doesn't matter ....

Mark Few knows exactly who he is and what he brings to the table.

sittingon50
09-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Got any idea what space he fills, GZ? Haven't heard of any Asst.'s leaving & thought they were maxed out.

Bogozags
09-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Having been on a college staff before, i can tell you its a hell of a lot harder to be a "hard a$$" and player abuser as an assistant coach then as a head coach. As an assistant, if he gets out of line, Few tells him to knock it off (which he better listen to). If it happens a couple more times, Few replaces him. For a guy that has been accused of this twice as you say, one more strike, and he can kiss his college coaching career goodbye. I doubt there will be any issues.

Exactly right...this isn't his team...the stress won't be there and he will have a different type of player...at both Tulsa and CoC, he could recruit any type of player and then try to mold them into what he wanted; however, GU recruits, intelligent and basketball smart players that do not have individual agendas...no molding of players required, only teaching...I would love to be an assistant coach at GU, has to be one of the best job in the country, that and being the Chef in the white house...all that great food! :)

GoZags
09-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Got any idea what space he fills, GZ? Haven't heard of any Asst.'s leaving & thought they were maxed out.

I'm "thinking" he'll be an Administrative or Front Office Assistant ... or fill a "non-coaching" staff role (Basketball Ops?) ..... but you're right .... the coaching slots are full (unless there's something going on that is being held VERY close to the vest).

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Exactly right...this isn't his team...the stress won't be there and he will have a different type of player...at both Tulsa and CoC, he could recruit any type of player and then try to mold them into what he wanted; however, GU recruits, intelligent and basketball smart players that do not have individual agendas...no molding of players required, only teaching...

The only drawback to success of Zag program over the past 16 years is this kind of arrogant, pompous attitude that creeps in. Give me a break man, just because a player chooses to go to a less well known program don't be so arrogant as to believe he is therefore less intelligent or "basketball smart" than the players Coach Few lands.

Bogozags
09-01-2015, 06:46 PM
I never said that they were not intelligent, I said, "GU recruits intelligent and basketball smart players that do not have an individual agenda..." I never said players at Tulsa or CoC (where I went to school) were not intelligent...I'm sorry you took it that way but it was never intended...I know what it takes to get into CoC...their academics are outstanding and John Kresse started an amazing program.

gonzagafan62
09-01-2015, 07:05 PM
I thought Few was the bad cop and Tommy was the good cop. Have you not seen Few's "Death Stare?"

Exactly my thoughts

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-01-2015, 07:14 PM
I never said that they were not intelligent, I said, "GU recruits intelligent and basketball smart players that do not have an individual agenda..." I never said players at Tulsa or CoC (where I went to school) were not intelligent...I'm sorry you took it that way but it was never intended...I know what it takes to get into CoC...their academics are outstanding and John Kresse started an amazing program.

You lost me at "however" than, because your use of that word serves as a negative comparison to the type of players this new guy recruited at Tulsa and CoC.

doctorzag
09-01-2015, 08:21 PM
The only drawback to success of Zag program over the past 16 years is this kind of arrogant, pompous attitude that creeps in. Give me a break man, just because a player chooses to go to a less well known program don't be so arrogant as to believe he is therefore less intelligent or "basketball smart" than the players Coach Few lands.

You need to chill out dude. You read a lot into that, that wasn`t there.

SteelZag
09-01-2015, 11:02 PM
It's a great question.

But, the only real answer is:Few and the folks down there know exactly what it is he brings to the table and want it.to be a part of the program. Jobs at GU, anywhere at GU, are at a premium now and nowhere more than around the basketball programs. I think the competition is fierce and he must have really impressed them.

My guess is that Few is giving his buddy a chance to redeem himself. I'm sure Wojcik would like to once again join the ranks of head coaches, and GU could help provide the exposure he needs. Money may not be much of an issue and hopefully it would be a win-win situation for both parties.

Everybody knows it is really tough to find a job without having a job and seems like having an extra set of eyes and a different philosophy could only help GU going forward.

Also, it never hurts to put some distance between bad memories and Gonzaga is about as far away from CoC as a person could hope for.

Bogozags
09-02-2015, 03:04 AM
You lost me at "however" than, because your use of that word serves as a negative comparison to the type of players this new guy recruited at Tulsa and CoC.

Again, I'm sorry it was taken that way...and apologize to all that were offended!

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-02-2015, 04:32 AM
Again, I'm sorry it was taken that way...and apologize to all that were offended!

And I apologize if I overreacted to your post. Thanks for clarifying your meaning.

Guess I'm just wary of the fine line between having a favorite team vs believing players for your favorite team are therefore somehow better people than any other player (e.g. smarter, less selfish).

DixieZag
09-02-2015, 05:37 AM
My guess is that Few is giving his buddy a chance to redeem himself. I'm sure Wojcik would like to once again join the ranks of head coaches, and GU could help provide the exposure he needs. Money may not be much of an issue and hopefully it would be a win-win situation for both parties.

Everybody knows it is really tough to find a job without having a job and seems like having an extra set of eyes and a different philosophy could only help GU going forward.

Also, it never hurts to put some distance between bad memories and Gonzaga is about as far away from CoC as a person could hope for.

Well said. To tell the truth, I knew the "why" they brought him (obviously brings something they want), just not the "how" he got to be in that position - good job.

TexasZagFan
09-02-2015, 06:17 AM
He and Few have been friends for a looooong time. Not Ray Giacoletti "close" but a good friend nonetheless.

I saw a post or two about how well he "interviewed". That doesn't matter ....

Mark Few knows exactly who he is and what he brings to the table.

Thanks for the info.

His son bears the same type of body as my boy...wiry. He held his own in a full court pick up game last night. He took advantage of his youth against his much older opponents. Broke the monotony of football practice in 95+ degree weather.

exclusivelee
10-10-2015, 09:31 AM
New Zags basketball employee Doug Wojcik is on the sidelines:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/10/24bdd618654acbd4b9369f990942b8a2.jpg