PDA

View Full Version : Matisse Thybulle "can't wait to play Gonzaga'

Bing
08-29-2015, 06:30 AM
I picked this up from a dawgman poster who'd run into Thybulle earlier in the week .... it's a premium site so I can't link .... love the Romar quote ...

Saw him in Issaquah, he had just eaten at Potbelly Sandwiches. Told me he's 195 lbs now. Long armed still, guy's body just screams basketball player

Said they are incredibly athletic, long, and going to be disruptive on defense and tough to stop in transition.

On Malik Dime "moves like a guard, has good hands, can throw the ball down to him on the block without hesitating"

On Markelle Fultz "nobody knew if he was going to commit or not, but he fits in perfectly with our style, has long arms and really athletic, and a cool guy too"

On David Crisp "gonna help us this year, he can shoot the lights out"

On Matthew Atewe "Good chance we don't have him this year, but he'd help us out a lot, just a beast in the weight room and a leader on and off the court"

On Marqueese Chriss "Super athletic, can step out and shoot the 3 plus can create off the bounce"

On Noah Dickerson "Will help us down low but can also step out and shoot the deep ball"

Said they're playing for Coach Romar because he's on the chopping block.

And he "cant wait to play Gonzaga, they've got a huge frontcourt, but we're a lot quicker"

Coach Crazy
08-29-2015, 07:12 AM
I picked this up from a dawgman poster who'd run into Thybulle earlier in the week .... it's a premium site so I can't link .... love the Romar quote ...

Good. I like having these kinds of quotes. It's nice to have evidence of "confident" they were when we beat them 9/10 or 10/10, and they are looking for an excuse.

bartruff1
08-29-2015, 07:35 AM
I don't believe Romar's job is in any danger.

23zagmd
08-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Well, coming from a very high placed source within the UW athletic dept....."it will be tough for him to survive another 11-17ish year", "15-15, maybe but it will depend on the 15!". When I asked him what the driver was because it seemed that he was untouchable with the focus on football...."its becoming almost impossible to put butts in the seats at Hec Ed"

23zagmd
08-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Additionally, look at their pre-season schedule.....they will not be 11-0 going into the conference season. He is in BIG time trouble!
Well, coming from a very high placed source within the UW athletic dept....."it will be tough for him to survive another 11-17ish year", "15-15, maybe but it will depend on the 15!". When I asked him what the driver was because it seemed that he was untouchable with the focus on football...."its becoming almost impossible to put butts in the seats at Hec Ed"

cggonzaga
08-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Silly freshman. Guess he'll learn soon enough.

MDABE80
08-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Silly freshman. Guess he'll learn soon enough.

this!

maynard g krebs
08-29-2015, 11:19 AM
I went to the Eastside Cath home game with Garfield last winter, and MT was soundly outplayed by Alfonso Anderson, who is 6'6. The way he struggled v Garfield, I think he's in for an awakening.

willandi
08-29-2015, 12:01 PM
"And he "cant wait to play Gonzaga, they've got a huge frontcourt, but we're a lot quicker""

How quick do you have to be to run into a wall?

jazzdelmar
08-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Kids talk. Time of their lives. God bless em.

VinnyZag
08-29-2015, 12:48 PM
I don't believe Romar's job is in any danger.

With the recruiting classes they're bringing in now, they'd be crazy to fire him.

bartruff1
08-29-2015, 02:22 PM
With the recruiting classes they're bringing in now, they'd be crazy to fire him.

Their not crazy...... he has a contract extension good till 2020....I think he is the 2nd most winning basketball coach in their history and at nearly 2 million per year they would have to be crazy and wealthy to buy him out....... Crazy and wealthy are not normally found together.

Zag_Dad
08-29-2015, 02:50 PM
This (Battle for Atlantis) game is one that Gonzaga "should" win. The way UW has recruited, the remaining games the Zags have against them as part of the renewed rivalry, will likely very competitive. Of course, you never know how good either team will be until they play some games as a team, but UW has some great talent coming in... as does Gonzaga.

Rangerzag
08-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Romar recruits........ then they leave. This year's cast is pretty well set.

Little early to tell about next year.

23dpg
08-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Their not crazy...... he has a contract extension good till 2020....I think he is the 2nd most winning basketball coach in their history and at nearly 2 million per year they would have to be crazy and wealthy to buy him out....... Crazy and wealthy are not normally found together.

That is teed up so well....but I'll resist. This isn't the OCC.

As for them wanting to play Gonzaga; good on them. They're competitive.

Romar? He does need to win again and soon. Nice man but don't pay $2 million a year for nice.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2015, 02:30 AM
"And he "cant wait to play Gonzaga, they've got a huge frontcourt, but we're a lot quicker""

How quick do you have to be to run into a wall?

Quick, fast-breaking athletic teams will be the biggest challenge to Zags this season as the best way to beat us will be to simply outrun us....PK and Wiltjer are not track meet type players, so it's a smart way to neutralize Zags size.

I think UW will be a very dangerous opponent and a great early season test for our ballhandlers. Also good preparation for the team I bet will be awaiting Zags in 2nd round of Atlantis: Texas...another pressure D, athletic group. I'm confident Perkins and McClellan can handle the pressure D...hopefully Kyle D, Melson and Alberts are all working on their handles as we cannot have them coughing up turnovers in the backcourt against teams like UW and Texas.

Coach Crazy
08-30-2015, 06:03 AM
Quick, fast-breaking athletic teams will be the biggest challenge to Zags this season as the best way to beat us will be to simply outrun us....PK and Wiltjer are not track meet type players, so it's a smart way to neutralize Zags size.

I think UW will be a very dangerous opponent and a great early season test for our ballhandlers. Also good preparation for the team I bet will be awaiting Zags in 2nd round of Atlantis: Texas...another pressure D, athletic group. I'm confident Perkins and McClellan can handle the pressure D...hopefully Kyle D, Melson and Alberts are all working on their handles as we cannot have them coughing up turnovers in the backcourt against teams like UW and Texas.

I mean, fast breaks don't really work like that? You already gave the key in your post: McClellan, Melson, Alberts, and Dranginis, and (well, you forgot one) Perkins. If our 1-3 are able to defend the break, we'll be just fine. Not to mention the fact that Sabonis isn't exactly a Clydesdale.

Coach Crazy
08-30-2015, 06:07 AM
This (Battle for Atlantis) game is one that Gonzaga "should" win. The way UW has recruited, the remaining games the Zags have against them as part of the renewed rivalry, will likely very competitive. Of course, you never know how good either team will be until they play some games as a team, but UW has some great talent coming in... as does Gonzaga.

Their talent really means nothing, at this point. Romar has to prove that he can regain control of the locker room culture, there. And he's going to figure out a way to get these incoming freshman to function well in a free form offense going into the future. Unless we simply don't play up to our capacity, we'll see another long string of GU wins over UW.

DixieZag
08-30-2015, 08:03 AM
It's funny, reading the title of the thread (early morning), I thought it said M.T. "Can't wait to play for Gonzaga"

I feel stupid[er] for thinking "Wow, I thought he decided to go to the UW and when did I miss where he decided to play here"?

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2015, 08:31 AM
I mean, fast breaks don't really work like that? You already gave the key in your post: McClellan, Melson, Alberts, and Dranginis, and (well, you forgot one) Perkins. If our 1-3 are able to defend the break, we'll be just fine. Not to mention the fact that Sabonis isn't exactly a Clydesdale.

I appreciate the concept of stopping the ball, but I also appreciate Occam's Razor.

You beat the guy defending you down the court, and you are much more likely to get an easy basket...the definition of a fast break.

Hoopaholic
08-30-2015, 09:21 AM
I appreciate the concept of stopping the ball, but I also appreciate Occam's Razor.

You beat the guy defending you down the court, and you are much more likely to get an easy basket...the definition of a fast break.

cant fastbreak without the basketball...rebounding would be key

CDC84
08-30-2015, 09:30 AM
This could be the biggest, quickest, most athletic group of guards Gonzaga has ever had on any one team under Few, with two potentially great individual defenders in McClellan and Dranginis.

I don't know about UW being A LOT quicker.

All this doubting is going to do nothing but motivate the guards who are better than some people seem to think. And it's not truly correct to say they are inexperienced. Two of them are experienced seniors. EMac used to start at a SEC school. Their work is going to be simplified due to the elite frontcourt, which will be even better than it was last year.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Straight up, UW doesn't have a chance next season. Zero. They don't have the horses and they're far too young to handle a top 10 team. It's going to be a 25 point thrashing.

2016 could be competitive though. They'll swap double Andrew for Fultz which should be a major upgrade and they're adding another big who will be eligible in 2016. Even then, they still have to overcome the worst corch in the power 5 conferences. Nobody does less with more then Romar does.

gonzagafan62
08-30-2015, 10:01 AM
"Gonzagafan62 can't wait to play Washington"

seacatfan
08-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Straight up, UW doesn't have a chance next season. Zero. They don't have the horses and they're far too young to handle a top 10 team. It's going to be a 25 point thrashing.

2016 could be competitive though. They'll swap double Andrew for Fultz which should be a major upgrade and they're adding another big who will be eligible in 2016. Even then, they still have to overcome the worst corch in the power 5 conferences. Nobody does less with more then Romar does.

Yeah, this. They are down to TWO returning players from last year's team. It is a completely new team with virtually no college experience, the tournament is early in the season, they aren't going to be ready. They have some talented freshmen, but not like UK multiple projected lottery pick one-and-done type of freshmen, and even those guys take a little while to find their footing in college usually. How in the world is UW going to be able to handle Karno, Wiltjer and Sabonis? Not happening.

seacatfan
08-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Romar has to prove that he can regain control of the locker room culture, there.

There are only 2 returning players for UW, so Romar pretty much gets to hit the reset button. If there were problems in the locker room last year, everybody is gone so maybe the problem is gone as well?

willandi
08-30-2015, 11:04 AM
There are only 2 returning players for UW, so Romar pretty much gets to hit the reset button. If there were problems in the locker room last year, everybody is gone so maybe the problem is gone as well?

No...Romar is still there!

gonzagafan62
08-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Rivalry games are always crazy. Have some of our fans forgotten about Washington state games? You guys are crazy.

maynard g krebs
08-30-2015, 11:37 AM

It will be interesting to see how Andrews handles the alpha dog role. Rumor was that he and NWG didn't see eye to eye last yr.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-30-2015, 11:41 AM
cant fastbreak without the basketball...rebounding would be key

Absolutely!

ProjectMKUltra5
08-30-2015, 11:43 AM

That's what the UW crowd would have you believe. All the "me" guys are gone now so things are on the up and up. If you ask me it's incredibly messed up to throw players under the bus like that when you have a coach who's been there going on 14 seasons. Romar built that culture, Romar recruited those kids, and Romar lost that locker room. It's the coaches job to keep his team together and Romar failed at just that, there's not much more to it.

The logical part of me wants to think that if they start losing with this next group of players that the UW faithful will actually blame Romar like they should, but I doubt it. More then likely they'll start throwing Murray and Thybulle and the like under the bus. It's despicable imo.

seacatfan
08-30-2015, 11:45 AM
It will be interesting to see how Andrews handles the alpha dog role. Rumor was that he and NWG didn't see eye to eye last yr.

That will be interesting. With so many newcomers do they defer to him, or do they figure they are the future and the future is now, so forget about the lone holdover that has done anything in a Husky uniform?

When Romar took over Doug Wrenn was the established star, but after 1 tumultuous year he left the program. Started building around guys like Robinson, Conroy and Roy immediately.

seacatfan
08-30-2015, 11:49 AM
That's what the UW crowd would have you believe. All the "me" guys are gone now so things are on the up and up. If you ask me it's incredibly messed up to throw players under the bus like that when you have a coach who's been there going on 14 seasons. Romar built that culture, Romar recruited those kids, and Romar lost that locker room. It's the coaches job to keep his team together and Romar failed at just that, there's not much more to it.

The logical part of me wants to think that if they start losing with this next group of players that the UW faithful will actually blame Romar like they should, but I doubt it. More then likely they'll start throwing Murray and Thybulle and the like under the bus. It's despicable imo.

Romar has had an up and down career at UW, but I'm not aware that losing the locker room has been the norm for him. Certainly he's the coach, he bears responsibility for whatever happened last year. I guess we'll see what happens this year.

I do remember some tension the year they had Wroten and Ross, a question about who's team it was. They never figured out that question and underachieved given the talent.

Coach Crazy
08-31-2015, 06:34 AM

Whether it built up over time, or just kind of happened, it shows a glaring lack of ability that I didn't think was the case with Romar. He was one of those guys that I thought was built for the NBA game where he could manage personalities and egos, as an assistant or something. Now? Goodness, the dude not only wants to run some free form with a whole crew of young talent, but he has to prove that he can regain being a leader.

Locker room dynamics can be an interesting thing. What happens when one of the newer guys wants to be the big dog? How is that going to go over? What happens when they get done with OOC, are winning, but then hit PAC play and start to lose? There are a million and one scenarios, at this point, that can really, really be detrimental to this team.

I don't know how that is considered a "reset". Also, "playing for Coach Romar" can be a volatile motivation. Especially if you fall out of favor with him, or vice-a-versa.

krozman
08-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Guys, Romar has been giving Gonzaga wins for his entire tenure. You should be thanking him for making the PNW power base so easy to take over. Send him a nice card with sincere gratitude. No need to hate.

strikenowhere
08-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Guys, Romar has been giving Gonzaga wins for his entire tenure. You should be thanking him for making the PNW power base so easy to take over. Send him a nice card with sincere gratitude. No need to hate.

Take over? Once the Zags start taking all of the prime recruits out of Washington over the Huskies then I will agree with that statement.

Zagdawg
08-31-2015, 09:46 AM
I think you both are talking about two different things-- the Zags own the PNW for most wins---romar gets a good number of the local kids that want to stay close to home to play for him.

MDABE80
08-31-2015, 10:32 AM
The fish stinks from the head down. Has the head changed? I doubt it. Good guy but not a good coach. Filters to the kids. He's got 8 Wa St kids in his program. To me that's a feat. But now what??

Matisse.......we can't wait to play you either.:) These games on Prime Time should point the direction....

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Same old same old. Romar actually did a great job of coaching early in his tenure at UW. Things have gone sideways the last 4-5 years. As usual it is vastly overstated on this site how poor of a coach Romar is. OT, but I will maintain that Dave Rice at UNLV is hands down the worst coach in mens D1 bball in the country.

maynard g krebs
08-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Same old same old. Romar actually did a great job of coaching early in his tenure at UW. Things have gone sideways the last 4-5 years. As usual it is vastly overstated on this site how poor of a coach Romar is. OT, but I will maintain that Dave Rice at UNLV is hands down the worst coach in mens D1 bball in the country.

Always thought they looked pretty good in the years that Ken Bone was assisting, and not so good since, with occasional exceptions.

Zagdawg
08-31-2015, 01:35 PM
He has been to the dance 7 times in 19 opportunities -- sent 13 guys to the NBA and managed to miss the dance with 3 NBA 1st round players on his roster (including missing the last 4 years). He does win more than he loses with a 59% win percentage as a coach.

He is a very nice guy though and keeping him at the helm does almost guarantee a Zag win ;)

Hopefully he gets to stay at UW for another 10 years.

MDABE80
08-31-2015, 02:35 PM
Bone's loss was a big one for UW. Not so good since Bone left. Recruiting there is terrific. When they hit the court though, it's been every man for himself! TEAM is so big in college...... when you have 2 first rounders and still do poorly, something's up and it's not good. Few and staff have been masterful at team building but then again the key's been to get just the right kids to sign up. I''m not so sure that Romar's found the kids with the team in mind despite having high end talent. And when the kids hit the court, there little direction. Roll out the ball.......
Frankly, as long as the Zags continue the present trend, everything's fine.

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 03:04 PM
I bought into the line about Bone being the brains behind the operation, although he flopped at Wazzu. So there's that.

I still think chemistry varies depending on the players on the team. I didn't see chemistry issues with the Dawgs when they were playing well with guys like Roy, Robinson, Conroy, Simmons, Jones, etc. Or several years later with Brockman, Thomas, Dentmon, etc.

No one will ever convince me that the 2008-09 Zags didn't totally underachieve, I don't think chemistry was very good with that group. It can even happen at GU.

maynard g krebs
08-31-2015, 03:27 PM
I bought into the line about Bone being the brains behind the operation, although he flopped at Wazzu. So there's that.

Success at WSU is rare. They are always likely to be near the bottom of the Pac in terms of recruiting. Success like the Bennetts' there is the exception; I don't think it's a fair judgment of Bone as a coach, without taking into account what he did at SPU and Ptld St when he had talent comparable to his peers.

Zagdawg
08-31-2015, 03:28 PM
If an undefeated WCC championship and a sweet 16 run and loss to the eventual champion is underachieving........ well we can always have room for improvement.

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Bone actually had some nice pieces at WSU--hello, Klay Thompson! Casto, Capers, Moore, maybe a couple others. I thought his tenure there was fairly disappointing. I wanted him to succeed, I really like Bone from his time at SPU and he also had a nice stint during his brief time at PSU.

It is hard to win at WSU. Tony Bennett's time there was remarkable. Don't know the entire history of bball coaches at WSU, but I seem to recall Raveling and Sampson both had some decent years there.

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 03:41 PM
If an undefeated WCC championship and a sweet 16 run and loss to the eventual champion is underachieving........ well we can always have room for improvement.

Several completely unacceptable losses in OOC. That team was REALLY talented. They weren't going to beat UNC, that's not my issue. If they hadn't had some unbelievable losses they could've gotten a better seed and avoided playing UNC in the third round. I just felt like that team didn't gel and was less than the sum of its parts. They were darn lucky to even get to the Sweet 16, took a miracle finish to get past an unheralded Western Kentucky team.

gonzagafan62
08-31-2015, 04:18 PM
Several completely unacceptable losses in OOC. That team was REALLY talented. They weren't going to beat UNC, that's not my issue. If they hadn't had some unbelievable losses they could've gotten a better seed and avoided playing UNC in the third round. I just felt like that team didn't gel and was less than the sum of its parts. They were darn lucky to even get to the Sweet 16, took a miracle finish to get past an unheralded Western Kentucky team.

With all do respect SeaCat, it took a miracle for that Western Kentucky team to even be that close in the first place. How many guarded three point shot did Mendez-Valdez make? Like a million? Western Kentucky was a good team, but they weren't unhearelded, an they were also VERY fortunate to even have a chance. They also had cheater Valdez push over Bouldin to make it a 2 point game when WKU dunked it after. Please. They shouldn't have been that close.

gonzagafan62
08-31-2015, 04:19 PM
BTW we only had one really bad OOC loss (Portland State) but every loss we sustained was to a tournament team

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 04:40 PM
I looked up the schedule for that year. For some reason I thought Utah wasn't very good, but they won like 24 games or something and were fairly highly seeded (overseeded as it were) in the Big Dance. Portland St. actually went dancing that year as well, but the Zags had NO business losing that game. GU also lost a close game in Tucson to what was a mediocre Arizona team that year (21-14 overall and 9-9 in the Pac). Cats actually went to the Sweet 16, but it was fairly controversial that they even got invited in the first place (kinda like UCLA this year). Zags shoulda won the Battle in Seattle against a really good UConn team, had it nearly in the bag and blew it in the closing minute. I was at that game. Heartbreaker. Also got hammered at home by a good but not great Memphis team. Just couldn't beat Memphis. I think I quit watching that game after the first 5 or 10 minutes, did myself a huge favor. If I recall correctly, outside of St. Mary's the WCC was pathetic that year. You guys can disagree with me all you want, given all the talent on that team GU should've been better. Yeah GU was up big on WKU and let them back in the game and had to go OT to decide it. Shouldn't have gotten to that point.

Zagdawg
08-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Since this thread has been derailed---given all of the top talent Arizona has......lets talk about how bad Arizona underachieves with their teams in the last 6 years under Miller.

9 NBA players, 6 Mcds AAs, 23 top 100 players --when you can field an entire team of top 100 talent --that is pretty impressive and something only a few teams in the NCAA can claim---and still can't get past an elite 8----whats up with that?

gonzagafan62
08-31-2015, 07:06 PM
Since this thread has been derailed---given all of the top talent Arizona has......lets talk about how bad Arizona underachieves with their teams in the last 6 years under Miller.

9 NBA players, 6 Mcds AAs, 23 top 100 players --when you can field an entire team of top 100 talent --that is pretty impressive and something only a few teams in the NCAA can claim---and still can't get past an elite 8----whats up with that?

Elite eight is pretty far. No shame in that. It's not easy to get to. Please stop. Haha I hope this is sarcasm lol

Zagdawg
08-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Just messing with our Arizona boy --Seacat ---gotta keep him on his toes.

seacatfan
08-31-2015, 08:06 PM

Ha ha! If only Arizona didn't keep running into stinking Frank Kaminsky and Wisconsin in the Tourney...

gonzagafan62
08-31-2015, 08:47 PM

Word!

23zagmd
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Has no one stated the obvious here......Matisse Thybulle is not going to play significant minutes for UW. From what I saw of him over the last two years....the best player on that team went to Montana State! and he was overwhelmed by several HS teams with good HS talent...not NCAA talent.

This game is a Dickie V, MISMATCH, and will be boring to watch...

raise the zag
09-02-2015, 09:43 AM
raise the zag "can't wait to play Washington"

gonzagafan62
09-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Has no one stated the obvious here......Matisse Thybulle is not going to play significant minutes for UW. From what I saw of him over the last two years....the best player on that team went to Montana State! and he was overwhelmed by several HS teams with good HS talent...not NCAA talent.

This game is a Dickie V, MISMATCH, and will be boring to watch...

Anytime we beat Washington 100-50 it would never be boring, however I don't think that'll happen. I don't take games with rivals on network television lightly. You ever watch the Washington State games? They're always in it. And they have less talent than Washington lol

primal23
09-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Anytime we beat Washington 100-50 it would never be boring, however I don't think that'll happen. I don't take games with rivals on network television lightly. You ever watch the Washington State games? They're always in it. And they have less talent than Washington lol

But even with Bone, better coaches at wsu. Romar can recruit but isn't a very good in game coach.

maynard g krebs
09-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Has no one stated the obvious here......Matisse Thybulle is not going to play significant minutes for UW. From what I saw of him over the last two years....the best player on that team went to Montana State!

My impression as well, in the two EC games I saw the last couple years. MT has upside w/ his size/athleticism, but I thought he was the 4th best player on the floor in the Garfield game at EC. I wouldn't say never, though. He has the body/athleticism to be a big time player, which explains his 4 star ranking imo.

I thought MT's teammate Mandrell Worthy was at least a WCC caliber player, if not better; think he had health issues, injury or illness? If healthy I'd bet on Worthy being all Big Sky. Polished player but w/ marginal quickness/strength/athleticism which means great hs player but w/ limitations at the next level. Agree?

23zagmd
09-02-2015, 05:24 PM
totally agree. the other thing I do not like is MT jumper. The kid could just never seem to square his body to the basket and the it showed in the results. I watched him play Rainier Beach and he took at least 12 3's....never saw him make one.

Mantua
09-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Why has Matisse made himself into the poster child for this loss?

willandi
09-04-2015, 05:54 AM

He can't wait!

Bouldin4Prez
09-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Because the board took one small quote from a kid and ran with it. As far as trash talking goes, what Matisse said would hardly even classify.

MDABE80
09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
We didint want him anyway;)

Mantua
09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
We didint want him anyway;)

Well...I can hardly wait to see if we would still recruit him in retrospect.

At least he sounds enthusiastic.

Coach Crazy
09-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Because the board took one small quote from a kid and ran with it. As far as trash talking goes, what Matisse said would hardly even classify.

If there wasn't more context available, I would be more willing to agree with this.