PDA

View Full Version : Coaches' poll, top coaching jobs

Angelo Roncalli
08-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Gonzaga comes in at #10...

Gonzaga making the list is smart, I believe, because it really is a top-shelf job given how it's head-and-shoulders above every other job in its league. Mark Few, with the help of his administration, has elevated Gonzaga into a nationally recognizable entity, and it's at the point where Few is essentially guaranteed to make the NCAA Tournament each year.

That's a good setup ... and what makes for a great job.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25281075/candid-coaches-what-are-the-best-three-hoops-jobs-in-the-country

OK, thereís some circular logic at play there. But anyway, the results donít include percentages, so we donít know exactly how far Kansas was behind those schools. But the KU job ranked ahead of Texas, UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, Stanford, Gonzaga, Louisville and Florida, among other schools receiving votes.

There is no defined criteria on what makes a great job, of course, which is how a program like Gonzaga or Stanford can end up on the list. Sometimes the best jobs, coaches say, are places like Texas, where the resources and money resemble a blue blood program but the expectations are slightly less daunting.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article32534166.html#storylink=cpy

seacatfan
08-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Interesting links. The subject was broached on another thread recently, but is Indiana really that desirable of a job anymore? Plenty of instate talent and the neighboring states as well, tradition of course, but high expectations, a coaching legend who went out under controversy and still hasn't been satisfactorily replaced yet and they are on their 4th (I think?) coach since then. Of course UCLA is much the same and they received multiple votes as well. Top 3 aren't a surprise and neither is #4.

zagfan24
08-27-2015, 12:45 PM
"and it's at the point where Few is essentially guaranteed to make the NCAA Tournament each year."

This statement always bothers me. There's an implication that Gonzaga simply walks into the NCAA each year, which both suggests that the Zags don't face difficult opponents in conference (which isn't true) and that they don't need to continually play and beat high level competition out of conference to make the tournament (also not true). While you can argue that the bottom of the conference gives the Zags a wider margin of error in January and February, it also makes November and December very crucial. Few does not have the luxury of waiting for his team to develop over the course of the season.

bartruff1
08-27-2015, 02:41 PM
!7 consecutive trips and I would bet the 18th to follow..