PDA

View Full Version : SI's list of which 10 sophomores will make the biggest impact in 2015-16

SLOZag
08-26-2015, 08:42 AM
According to SI's Chris Johnson:

"5. Domantas Sabonis, forward, Gonzaga

Gonzaga would have featured one of the top frontcourts in the country in 2015-16 even if Sabonis had decided to go pro after a promising freshman season. Senior Kyle Wiltjer is a national player of the year candidate who poses matchup problems on the perimeter, while the 7’1”, 288-pound Przemek Karnowski is a skilled passer and scorer in the post. Sabonis adds a different dimension. He’s a voracious glass cleaner—ranking first and fifth, respectively, in the West Coast Conference in defensive and offensive rebounding percentage, according to kenpom.com—and an efficient finisher on the blocks, converting more than 75% of his attempts at the rim, per hoop-math.com. The son of former Portland Trail Blazers center Arvydas Sabonis, Domantas could hear his name called in the first round of next year’s draft. But first, expect him to lead Gonzaga to at least 30 wins, another conference title and a top-four seed in the NCAAs."

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/08/26/high-impact-sophomores-melo-trimble-jakob-poeltl

Sweet!

hooter73
08-26-2015, 09:07 AM
30 wins, another conference title and a top-four seed in the NCAAs."

Those are some big claims... yikes :)

Kiddwell
08-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Top-4 seed in the NCAA's sounds good. Hope it's another top-2 seed. Wonder whether Domas stays for his junior and senior seasons if he's a likely first rounder next year. Hope he does a Rony Turiaf, loves college so much, and stays through his senior year. Hope, hope!

:pray:

:]

hooter73
08-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Top-4 seed in the NCAA's sounds good. Hope it's another top-2 seed. Wonder whether Domas stays for his junior and senior seasons if he's a likely first rounder next year. Hope he does a Rony Turiaf, loves college so much, and stays through his senior year. Hope, hope!

:pray:

:]

All early accounts were always that he would stay but you've got to wonder once the first round talk gets involved... Plus, what if instead of a Ronny he pulls a Harris? Yeah I know Elias probably wasnt ever going to be drafted after his freshman year but he really wasn't after the next three, and he was a great, great Zag. Hard to say what is the bigger/better benefit for the program; sending someone early and continuing to get high level bigs in here, or have a completely dominant forward that will set records for the next three years.

bigblahla
08-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Domas has a head on his shoulders more importantly he listens to his father...and respects him and if his father tells him he needs another year to get better he will stay...his father will tell him to stay because he will still be able to get better, stronger...it's not about the money it's about the game and family heritage....IMO he'll stay at least 3 and if he's having fun and feels he can get better he'll stay for 4...

Go!! Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
08-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Those are some big claims... yikes :)

Not at all. It's going to be a great year. Our guard play will be just fine. I'm looking forward to stronger play from Silas this year, thanks to the experience he got last year.

jazzdelmar
08-27-2015, 07:05 AM
To me they seem low expectations.

hooter73
08-27-2015, 07:10 AM
Domas has a head on his shoulders more importantly he listens to his father...and respects him and if his father tells him he needs another year to get better he will stay...his father will tell him to stay because he will still be able to get better, stronger...it's not about the money it's about the game and family heritage....IMO he'll stay at least 3 and if he's having fun and feels he can get better he'll stay for 4...

Go!! Zags!!!
All very true but the age factor does come in to play, or at least into conversation a lot of times. And not for the amount of years to make NBA money, but for the amount of years a GM will see a player being serviceable.

Not at all. It's going to be a great year. Our guard play will be just fine. I'm looking forward to stronger play from Silas this year, thanks to the experience he got last year.

The guards will not be nothing, thats for sure, but good enough to get 30 wins? They're young. It is possible if they have the right mindset, which I think they could, and heck, look what Kentucky freshman guards can get done, but that is a tall order that is usually filled by experience, not just passion. Last year we had 3 four year starters, I know they are different players, but (arguably) the best group of guards we had ever floored. I dont know, I guess we'll see :)

bigblahla
08-27-2015, 07:54 AM
All very true but the age factor does come in to play, or at least into conversation a lot of times. And not for the amount of years to make NBA money, but for the amount of years a GM will see a player being serviceable.

IMO Any GM who thinks any player can help him make the playoffs or be in position to win a championship will pull the trigger on bringing in that player....rookie contracts are short...having a fully developed board cleaning floor running machine at the ripe old age of 22-23 is not anywhere close to being a negative...if Domas stays 3 he will be in the lottery if he stays 4 he will be a top 5 pick...few NBA players have his motor or drive...he is a game changer...only injuries can derail the future of "the Hammer"... his star is bright and on the rise...

Go!! Zags!!!

3zagda
08-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Funny, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought SI was expecting JPerk to have a huge impact. In my defense I had just looked at the pick of him and Jimmer in another thread.
Domas is on obvious impact player. But as was mentioned above, I do think 30 wins etc are going to depend on how well Josh and the other guards blossom.

DixieZag
08-27-2015, 08:38 AM
To me they seem low expectations.

I had the exact same thought, at least with respect to the 4 seed.

Perhaps we have the schedule this year to absorb a 3rd or even 4th loss and still be above a 4 seed, depending on how the Bahamas teams do, how Arizona/UCLA/SMU all do. But, 4 seed would be low in my book.

seacatfan
08-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Funny, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought SI was expecting JPerk to have a huge impact. In my defense I had just looked at the pick of him and Jimmer in another thread.
Domas is on obvious impact player. But as was mentioned above, I do think 30 wins etc are going to depend on how well Josh and the other guards blossom.

That was my thought as well, but since he was granted a RS due to his injury, he's technically a Fr. again this year.

Zagger
08-27-2015, 01:56 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

:agreed: