PDA

View Full Version : #1 nyc recruit opts for uva...from dick weiss

jazzdelmar
09-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Landesberg Chooses Virginia

Sam Albano, the executive producer of "Inside the Big East" just called with this huge scoop: Sylven Landesberg of Holy Cross High to Virginia.

Landesberg, a high class, 6-6 wing and a Top 50 prospect who can play multiple positions and was the MVP of the CHSAA as a junior, was heavily recruited by the Cavs, St. John's and Georgia Tech. He has been well coached by Paul Gilvary, who developed his perimeter skills and constantly got him good shots throughout his high school career and is expected to play a major role in the ACC program. We hear he and his dad were blown away during their meeting with Lou Carnesecca, as they should have been, but I guess it was hard to turn down that new arena in Charlottesville. We feel badly for Norm Roberts and Paul Hewitt. They both worked hard on this one.

Condolences to LIZF............

LongIslandZagFan
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Landesberg Chooses Virginia

Sam Albano, the executive producer of "Inside the Big East" just called with this huge scoop: Sylven Landesberg of Holy Cross High to Virginia.

Landesberg, a high class, 6-6 wing and a Top 50 prospect who can play multiple positions and was the MVP of the CHSAA as a junior, was heavily recruited by the Cavs, St. John's and Georgia Tech. He has been well coached by Paul Gilvary, who developed his perimeter skills and constantly got him good shots throughout his high school career and is expected to play a major role in the ACC program. We hear he and his dad were blown away during their meeting with Lou Carnesecca, as they should have been, but I guess it was hard to turn down that new arena in Charlottesville. We feel badly for Norm Roberts and Paul Hewitt. They both worked hard on this one.

Condolences to LIZF............

Good to know that Norm was in there toward the end. Lack of a true home arena is a real killer. MSG is great, but its not like they practice there.

cbbfanatic
09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
i'd love for st johns to get back in the top 3rd of the BE, but i just dont see it happening under roberts. losing calhoun to transfer really hurt too.

i think this program would have been better off with either of the two jersey big east coaches (fred hill and bobby gonzalez)

LongIslandZagFan
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
i'd love for st johns to get back in the top 3rd of the BE, but i just dont see it happening under roberts. losing calhoun to transfer really hurt too.

i think this program would have been better off with either of the two jersey big east coaches (fred hill and bobby gonzalez)

As Jazz knows, Bobby G will never end up there. They totally looked past him before Roberts. SJU is still reeling hard from Jarvis. He sank that program so far that it may take decades to recover.

cbbfanatic
09-27-2007, 01:19 PM
yeah, jarvis went out on a bad, bad note, but (staying in the big east) so did esherick (gtown) and lappas (nova) -- those two programs got it turned around pretty quickly, and are actually relatively similar to st johns in several ways (proud past, off and on in the 90s - smallish, catholic schools - situated in recruiting hotbeds wiht INTENSE competition for local kids - all 3 in the 1985 final four, yeah, that one has no current relevance, i know)

they need a young charismatic guy that can get NYC talent to stay home and jersey kids to cross the river. imagine if they could get guys like lance stephenson to stay home nad play in the garden, how much attention they'd get?

jazzdelmar
09-27-2007, 01:31 PM
if they cdnt get sylvan, a holy cross hs product (nyc catholic lg) sju has no chance at lance, who plys for the outlaw pub schl program at lincoln in bklyn (marburys, telfair).....nyc, like most metros, is aau country now. sju needs a coach who can get aau coaches to pt plyrs to jamaica....time was i thought sju's best shot was w pitino, back in the day. can u imagine that, lizf? weiss said landesberg and dad were blown away by looie (no doubt) but still chose leitao and that great new gym...........and a better academic schl (tho not sure if sylvan cares abt that)

WRHUradio
09-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I actually had the chance to attend the press conf today when Sylvan made it official for UVA today..check out my post and thoughts here-
http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=155337#155337

Can't believe I came across this as a topic on the Zags board, I love the depth of knowledge and coast to coast reach of the people on here.

On Sylvan/St John's- totally agree with LIZF...

MSG in the 80s had appeal, but now with all the PSAL title games and special made for TV HS games that are played there, any top notch HS kid now has played at MSG several times before they graduate HS so its not that big a deal anymore...

Side note: having seen Sylvan play in person a few times, and Steven Gray only on video highlights....I think there isnt much difference if at all.
1- Syl a top 50 player in Rivals, NYC Cath league players are still ranking inflated, Gray being from bainbridge Island-state of Wash isnt going to get that same perception, Maybe if Gray played for the SoCAL All-Stars with K Love and co. then maybe Gray is ranked higher.
2- seems to me Gray is a better athlete and can create his own shot, Syl is kinda lanky as a 6'5 SG

Consider this: StJ spent 18 mill on building an on-campus practice facility, something Jarvis for all he got bashed for was finally able to push through....For a school like StJ that has zero $ that was a big deal. However compare: McCarthy Arena- 23 Mil (I believe) for GU holds just over 6K and is dynamite from everything I read on here, I have yet to check it out (been to the Kennel). But for me, it was insane to blow 18 mil when for a little more $ they coulda cleared out more room and just gotten an actual new arena. It's idiotic, tell me how a school couldnt have gotten an extra 10 million (NY area building costs inflation) in bonds and bank loans??

JazzD are you going to the GU @ Saint Joe's game? I am planning on going but havent investigated getting tix yet, wondering if you as a NJ guy has looked into it yet.

Another Sidenote: Brovard Comm College (Florida) Juco SG Tony Dennison committed earlier this week to Hofstra, I know Gonzaga was looking at him along with many other BCS level schools. I'm xcited as a HU alum that the Pride got a kid Mark Few had some interest in, I consider him and staff to be excellent talent evaluators

And finally, on Lance Stephenson- Theres no way in hell, heaven, earth that he ends up at St John's. He has great talent, but he is a headache off and on the court. He gets a lot of favoritism, and anyone associated w Tiny Morton and Lincoln REEKS of showboating, lack of fundmentals, team play, winning attitude, and "Sold to the highest bidder." He's mentally a 1 and done player and will have the agenda to prove it in his 1yr @ college. Did I mention that his dad is as big of a meddler and peddler and headache as Lance is?

cbbfanatic
09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
i didnt ever mean to imply that sju was in the running for LS, just saying imagine the kind of press they could get if they DID get NYC kids like this... i could have picked from dozens of examples, just picked lance bc he is not now, even with his baggage.

he has memphis written all over him

jazzdelmar
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
i liked ur insights, esp on that crook morton....i am verrry close to the xaverian program and he just stole 4 of jack alesi's best plyrs...boys high stole 2 last yr...just awful stuff.....willie dersch is doing well, huh? thats great. good kid but a bust at uva (they called him the next mullin,,,haha)....btw, chris was prob the last plyr sju beat uva on ....boy did uva want him......also btw, i live in delmar CA not NJ, so prob not going to saint joe game....i posted a note that suggested anyone interested in getting tix for st joe gm send email to john lord of the st j marketing dept and mention my name (joe from del mar)....he might be able to help.....no promises....but a great cbb guy......

WRHUradio
09-27-2007, 03:12 PM
ahh....gotcha thank you for the clarification JazzD....I thought there was someone else from the metro NY area besides me, LIZF, NJ zag, always thought you were local since I think you also know about Manhattan College but see that you've chosen against sitting in traffic for %20 of life.

I will definitely email/call your guy with Saint Joe's and see what the story is, do you want to private message me any more info what I should tell him?

Morton is 1 of the top 10 shadiest ppl on the HS level in the hoops world.
I dont think he can coach because the inmates run the asylum there. Telfair had clear major holes in his game and will pay for it with a short career tho he's set financially for life. If Telfair went nearly anywhere else He'd have been humbled and have a better approach.
The good people in coaches in the PSAL/CHSAA level like Jack Alesi, Curran at Molloy and many many others are getting squeezed out and forced to fight a dirty fight for players and the NY Public school system isnt able or set up to prevent player tampering, theyve gotta worry about having enough erasers in the classrooms. Wait until some of the NY Cath powers decide they want to spend good $ on a coach to compete, I think the worst is yet to come.

It doesnt surprise me that the NY-area hasnt really put out many big time hoopsters over the last decade, many big names but not many that have worked out and most have underachieved. I pin it on the lack of good fundamental coaching at the grass roots level, selfish mentalities, lack of shooting focus, and the kids getting pulled in the politics. I look across the country and you see other areas turning out more efficient players- like the Northwest. David Pendergraph woulda been lost in the shuffle if he moved to NY to start HS.

Willie Dersch I heard today is doing really well working on Wall St and just loved UVA, made an impression to the Landesberg family. Dersch was a huge bust tho, I remember him growing up hes from my town but too 1-dimensional.

CBBhoopsfanatic- 1000% on the $ that Stephenson is going to likely be bought by Memphis or Louisville. If the kid ever straightened his head out he'd be a possible all-time great pro. Instead, he might be really good but never fulfill his full potential.

jazzdelmar
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
agree the quality of nyc kids is way down...look at the golden years, the late 80s, when at same time u had four point guards -- derrick phelps, khalid reeves, kenny anderson and bobby hurley -- all playing hs hoops...within a few yrs, each of them played in the Final Four....this is not to mention others like Jamal Mashburn, terry dehere, etc.....the coaching is down, the aau system corrupts and the plyrs are vastly overrated.......maybe the kids are playing soccer as well...or lax, but thats another story

LongIslandZagFan
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
if they cdnt get sylvan, a holy cross hs product (nyc catholic lg) sju has no chance at lance, who plys for the outlaw pub schl program at lincoln in bklyn (marburys, telfair).....nyc, like most metros, is aau country now. sju needs a coach who can get aau coaches to pt plyrs to jamaica....time was i thought sju's best shot was w pitino, back in the day. can u imagine that, lizf? weiss said landesberg and dad were blown away by looie (no doubt) but still chose leitao and that great new gym...........and a better academic schl (tho not sure if sylvan cares abt that)

Too bad Jarvis was winning when Jay Wright was available. That guy had serious in-roads to NY and LI AAU.

LongIslandZagFan
09-27-2007, 05:12 PM
WRHU... SJU is not a place that is or ever was hurting for money... and that practice facility really didn't get started under Jarvis. I was working there during the Jarvis years. That was after they kicked his butt to the curb.

side note... Louie is quite honestly one of the best people out there. He never ever forgets a face or name.

jazzdelmar
09-27-2007, 06:07 PM
looie's kindess to me bracketed my life ----- when i was a 20 something SID in NYC, he was a god, and when i was introd at Mamma Leones he went out of his way to welcome me ... vs other phonies like lou rossini, etc.....then, yrs later, he took a special interest in my sons at his bb camp in the catskills, a very sweet gesture that i cant fully explain here...a wonderful, sweet, lovable man truly lizf..........

CDC84
09-28-2007, 08:25 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=278590

cbbfanatic
09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
im not sure about NYCs supposed decline, but whatever decline there might be would seem to be more than offset by a surge in bball power in north jersey.

there has been incredible talent coming out of there recently. derrick caracter, earl clark, lance thomas (in time he'll be good at duke, maybe), corey fisher, corey stokes, corey chandler, samardo samuels, dexter strickland (LOVE this kids game, smooth operator), jeff robinson... and on and on and on... that list is only over a 3 yr span, and is far from complete (jordan theodore too, he will be solid for the hall, i think he would have been a great guy for GU to get, even though his summer started off rough).

the NJ HS bball scene is incredible, 3 top 5 teams for much of this last year, with st pats, st benedicts and st anthonys. and these teams play people too, they dont just hide out with high rankings (saw a game on espn with st pats against mayos team - great great game, fisher and mayo were insane).

plus, doesnt some NY talent make its way over to jersey to play HS ball? i know that corey fisher is from the bronx but played in jersey. did devin ebanks do the same?

jazzdelmar
09-28-2007, 11:07 AM
great plyrs in joisey....and yes, some have emigrated from nyc....plus, population shifts from inner city to burbs........years ago, schls like cba-lincroft were alwys strong....but few others.....