PDA

View Full Version : The forgotten ones: 5 players we'll be glad to see back in action

SLOZag
08-24-2015, 10:57 AM
From ESPN's staff writer C. L. Brown: A short article identifying five players whose season last year got sidetracked by injuries or academics who could provide a big boost for their teams:

"4. Josh Perkins, G, Gonzaga

Bulldogs coach Mark Few wanted groom Perkins last season to take over the starting point guard spot for Kevin Pangos this season. Five games in, Perkinsí potential spoke toward a bright future, but the freshman suffered a broken jaw that ended his season before the end of November. The Bulldogs will have a frontcourt led by Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis that will be a tough matchup for opponents. The pressure will be on Perkins and an inexperienced backcourt to deliver."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108454/the-forgotten-ones-five-players-well-be-glad-to-see-back-in-action

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-24-2015, 04:19 PM
From ESPN's staff writer C. L. Brown: A short article identifying five players whose season last year got sidetracked by injuries or academics who could provide a big boost for their teams:

Bulldogs coach Mark Few wanted groom Perkins last season to take over the starting point guard spot for Kevin Pangos this season. Five games in, Perkins’ potential spoke toward a bright future, but the freshman suffered a broken jaw that ended his season before the end of November. The Bulldogs will have a frontcourt led by Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis that will be a tough matchup for opponents. The pressure will be on Perkins and an inexperienced backcourt to deliver."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108454/the-forgotten-ones-five-players-well-be-glad-to-see-back-in-action

One of the things I was most impressed with about Josh Perkins was his poise...he just seemed to belong and 'get it' from the get go, so I am not at all worried about him feeling pressure this season. He is under the radar right now but the college hoops world is definitely gonna know all about Josh Perkins by the end of December!

Zaga
08-24-2015, 07:20 PM
The proverbial shoulders of this cohesive group are big enough to help Josh excel quickly on or off the ball.

OZZY
08-24-2015, 09:48 PM
lets' just get this party started already!

This has been a loooooong offseason........:(

ZagaZags
08-24-2015, 10:53 PM
One of the things I was most impressed with about Josh Perkins was his poise...he just seemed to belong and 'get it' from the get go, so I am not at all worried about him feeling pressure this season. He is under the radar right now but the college hoops world is definitely gonna know all about Josh Perkins by the end of December!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Kiddwell
08-25-2015, 07:31 AM

Bulldogs coach Mark Few wanted groom Perkins last season to take over the starting point guard spot for Kevin Pangos this season. Five games in, Perkinsí potential spoke toward a bright future, but the freshman suffered a broken jaw that ended his season before the end of November. The Bulldogs will have a frontcourt led by Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis that will be a tough matchup for opponents. The pressure will be on Perkins and an inexperienced backcourt to deliver."

Interesting how this pundit ignores Mt. Karnowski. He's the biggest guy on the court, for Fewie's sakes! This'll be the fourth year in a row he's been the biggest guy on the court (save for the Zags' tilt with New Mexico State a while back when they deployed Goliath's cousin against our front line).

:]

seacatfan
08-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Interesting how this pundit ignores Mt. Karnowski. He's the biggest guy on the court, for Fewie's sakes! This'll be the fourth year in a row he's been the biggest guy on the court (save for the Zags' tilt with New Mexico State a while back when they deployed Goliath's cousin against our front line).

:]

I've seen a couple references to the Zags lately that highlight Wiltjer and Sabonis and seem to ignore Karnowski. I'm sure GU opponents won't do the same.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-25-2015, 12:18 PM
I've seen a couple references to the Zags lately that highlight Wiltjer and Sabonis and seem to ignore Karnowski. I'm sure GU opponents won't do the same.

I too have noticed the lack of attention PK is getting. Methinks that will change quickly once the season is underway. He was playing the best ball of his career during Zags' Elite Eight run, so I'm baffled why Sabonis and Wiltjer seem to be getting so much more recognition.

While true to some degree every year, I really really really cannot wait to see this team this season. As Reborn is fond of saying, 'the best is yet to come,' and I do believe we will all be witnesses this season!!

OT: Read an interview with Tom Izzo somewhere earlier today and he predicts more teams will use zone presses to force opponent to use up 8-12 seconds off the shot clock before initiating their half-court offensive sets. With a 30 second shot-clock this year, this is a good strategy as it means lots of possessions will be winding down so a guard will have to make something happen off the dribble. **When I read that, I thought: this is why Perkins and McClellan are going to be crucial this season and clutch! They are both super quick ballhandlers who will excel in that kind of end-of-shot-clock situation. Keep your hands up PK, KW and DS!!!

seacatfan
08-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Oops, more thread drift. It's kinda mystifying though. Obviously Wiltjer and Sabonis deserve pre-season hype, but so does Karno just as much IMO. Each is a quite different player and each brings a unique skill set to the table. I think there is going to be a lot of watching GU's frontcourt just beat the stuffing out of other teams this year.

Obviously GU lost 3 starters (including 2 4-year starters) from last year, but I feel really good about the returning players filling the void and keeping things rolling in 2015-16. I think it's going to be a heck of an exciting year and I also can't wait to see it. I'm really stoked to see Perkins get the keys and see what he can do with this machine.

jazzdelmar
08-25-2015, 01:04 PM
That public mugging, courtesy of Mark Fox, cost the Zags and young Josh dearly. Inexcusable. Probably a FF and one year of pg tutoring under KP. Josh is the key to next season.

cjm720
08-25-2015, 01:25 PM
That public mugging, courtesy of Mark Fox, cost the Zags and young Josh dearly. Inexcusable. Probably a FF and one year of pg tutoring under KP. Josh is the key to next season.

Definitely agree...going to be fun to watch it unfold.

maynard g krebs
08-25-2015, 01:45 PM

:]Read the introductory sentence: this is about players who were injured/ineligible last yr and are returning. It's a good thing Karno didn't qualify for the list.

seacatfan
08-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Read the introductory sentence: this is about players who were injured/ineligible last yr and are returning. It's a good thing Karno didn't qualify for the list.

Keep reading and there is a line about "the Bulldogs will have a frontcourt led by Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis..." Somebody's name is clearly missing.

maynard g krebs
08-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Keep reading and there is a line about "the Bulldogs will have a frontcourt led by Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis..." Somebody's name is clearly missing.

My bad. Thanks.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-26-2015, 06:47 AM

How was that his fault?

hooter73
08-26-2015, 07:59 AM
How was that his fault?

Allowed his punk of a player to go play thug ball perhaps?

TheGonzagaFactor
08-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Allowed his punk of a player to go play thug ball perhaps?

Just say what you really mean....

That was a cheap play by Gaines and Gaines alone. Blame Gaines. Why would Fox send him at a backup PG in a non-conference game that's already decided?

hooter73
08-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Not specific that Fox "sent" Gaines out there to do that, just that he allows that type of character and that style of play on his team.

jazzdelmar
08-26-2015, 02:06 PM

That was a cheap play by Gaines and Gaines alone. Blame Gaines. Why would Fox send him at a backup PG in a non-conference game that's already decided?

I did say what I meant. It offended you. That's twice a Fox player has mugged a GU star guard. No coincidences.

jazzdelmar
08-26-2015, 02:07 PM

Surely you jest. Coaches play mind games all the time. Especially with their own players.