PDA

View Full Version : Conference Schedule released

gonzagafan62
08-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Take a look, and give thoughts on where you think we have the advantage, and where we got screwed, or both, or neither.

See if its fair!

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/8/18/9172839/gonzagas-2015-16-wcc-conference-schedule-released

gonzagafan62
08-18-2015, 11:08 AM
First glance for me, looks like SMC is senior night, and @BYU is last game of the season... Don't really like that, but I understand it.

Secondly, it doesn't appear that the schedule is unbalanced this time. Looks reasonably fair with the exception of the first two games on Dec21, and 23, where there are 2 home games. I guess someone has to do it, but it always seems like we never get to go on the road to start the year.

Oh well minor complaint. I think this time its more fair.

DixieZag
08-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Mon., Dec. 21 vs. Pepperdine
Wed., Dec. 23 vs. LMU
Thu., Dec. 31 @ Santa Clara
Sat., Jan. 2 @ San Francisco
Sat., Jan. 9 vs. Portland
Thu., Jan. 14 vs. BYU

Sat., Jan. 16 vs. San Diego
Thu., Jan. 21 @ Saint Mary's
Sat., Jan. 23 @ Pacific
Thu., Jan. 28 vs. Santa Clara
Sat., Jan. 30 vs. San Francisco
Thu., Feb. 4 @ LMU
Sat., Feb. 6 @ Pepperdine
Thu., Feb. 11 @ Portland
Thu., Feb. 18 vs. Pacific
Sat., Feb. 20 vs. Saint Mary's
Thu., Feb. 25 @ San Diego
Sat., Feb. 27 @ BYU

I believe we started last year @ BYU - though I could be wrong on that.

I think we can get used to the idea of playing BYU at the very opening of the year or during the last game of the year, or both. TV - understandable. Also, starting the year against the team that is perhaps the 3rd strongest, Pepp.

I hope the students are back by Janurary 14th for BYU, could be just right on the line.

I really don't like how early the conference schedule starts. Yes, we added two additional teams and thus 4 additional conference games, but it seems to creep back every year. I'm sure there's a reason for it, and like it or not, our conference tourney isn't likely being moved back at all, so I guess we should get used to that, too. I don't have to like it.

I feel for the students who are now missing more and more of the conference season to the Christmas break. But, this year, it would appear that our biggest rivalry games might be both in front of the students.

All in all it appears to be more fair than ones in the recent past.

Jakester425
08-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Take a look, and give thoughts on where you think we have the advantage, and where we got screwed, or both, or neither.

See if its fair!

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/8/18/9172839/gonzagas-2015-16-wcc-conference-schedule-released

My wife has family in Provo and the surrounding area. Looking forward to going to the game @ BYU.

hooter73
08-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Starting with an up and coming Pepperdine without a home crowd and after such a good OOC schedule, that one could be a downer for us.

sittingon50
08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
(Most) classes begin Jan. 12th. I'm thinkin' the kids will be pretty jacked up for BYU after being off campus for awhile.

gonzagafan62
08-18-2015, 12:05 PM
(Most) classes begin Jan. 12th. I'm thinkin' the kids will be pretty jacked up for BYU after being off campus for awhile.

Yes, but now this poses the question, where does SMU fit in?

TexasZagFan
08-18-2015, 12:18 PM

I'm like a microwave when it comes to BYU...flip the switch, and I'm at full power! lol

JasperZag
08-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Yes, but now this poses the question, where does SMU fit in?

My guess is Saturday, 2/13

gonzagafan62
08-18-2015, 12:26 PM
My guess is Saturday, 2/13

Ha. This must be a "unconfirmed" confirmed report, because lee posted on your thread a month ago that the SMU game is Paired with Portland. Look at what weekend has the Portland game. The Saturday is empty. I would bet you are right.

seacatfan
08-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Looks better than some previous years. Seems like there were a bunch of home games while the students were off campus for break before. Also no block of 4 straight home or road games. Seems fairly balanced to me.

gonzagafan62
08-18-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm like a microwave when it comes to BYU...flip the switch, and I'm at full power! lol

Bingo lol

former1dog
08-18-2015, 03:47 PM
My wife has family in Provo and the surrounding area. Looking forward to going to the game @ BYU.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I haven't had a pleasant time in Provo yet. :( The BYU fans really do just suck.

sittingon50
08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Mon., Dec. 21 vs. Pepperdine
Wed., Dec. 23 vs. LMU
Thu., Dec. 31 @ Santa Clara
Sat., Jan. 2 @ San Francisco
Sat., Jan. 9 vs. Portland
Thu., Jan. 14 vs. BYU

Sat., Jan. 16 vs. San Diego
Thu., Jan. 21 @ Saint Mary's
Sat., Jan. 23 @ Pacific
Thu., Jan. 28 vs. Santa Clara
Sat., Jan. 30 vs. San Francisco
Thu., Feb. 4 @ LMU
Sat., Feb. 6 @ Pepperdine
Thu., Feb. 11 @ Portland
Thu., Feb. 18 vs. Pacific
Sat., Feb. 20 vs. Saint Mary's
Thu., Feb. 25 @ San Diego
Sat., Feb. 27 @ BYU

I believe we started last year @ BYU - though I could be wrong on that.

I think we can get used to the idea of playing BYU at the very opening of the year or during the last game of the year, or both. TV - understandable. Also, starting the year against the team that is perhaps the 3rd strongest, Pepp.

I hope the students are back by Janurary 14th for BYU, could be just right on the line.

I really don't like how early the conference schedule starts. Yes, we added two additional teams and thus 4 additional conference games, but it seems to creep back every year. I'm sure there's a reason for it, and like it or not, our conference tourney isn't likely being moved back at all, so I guess we should get used to that, too. I don't have to like it.

I feel for the students who are now missing more and more of the conference season to the Christmas break. But, this year, it would appear that our biggest rivalry games might be both in front of the students.

All in all it appears to be more fair than ones in the recent past.

Poor BYU! The WCC is really sticking it to them; scheduled to play USD on 12-23 while simultaneously playing in a tournament in Hawaii. And we thought Japan to Bahamas in 2 weeks was tough!!

jazzdelmar
08-18-2015, 04:24 PM
This year more than ever, scrimmages.

DixieZag
08-18-2015, 05:01 PM
This year more than ever, scrimmages.

Right up until we get beat b/c the conference year has been scrimmages. So tough to keep focus and drive.

Hoopaholic
08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
too bad santa clara new years eve....san fran would have been a blast wonder what there is to do in san jose

Zagceo
08-18-2015, 10:12 PM
too bad santa clara new years eve....san fran would have been a blast wonder what there is to do in san jose

go to 49ers game (Santa Clara) ............except it's on Sunday 3rd against Rams

Jakester425
08-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I haven't had a pleasant time in Provo yet. :( The BYU fans really do just suck.

Oh I'm well aware. Ive made the trek to Provo for every Zags game since they joined the conference.

I think we actually sat in front of you and your family like three years ago.

I'm LDS and dislike everything BYU, so I get a lot of enjoyment showing up to the Marriott Center in my Zags gear.

Joe
08-20-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm with you there jakester. I'm also LDS and I hate BYU. I wear my Gonzaga tie to church almost every Sunday during basketball season. They do have the worst fans.

I like the schedule, but I'm more excited to have basketball in less than two months.