PDA

View Full Version : Billy Grier on the Rebound

SLOZag
08-17-2015, 07:48 PM
"Former USD basketball coach Bill Grier is headed to Oklahoma State, where, sources close to both programs confirmed, he has accepted a job as an assistant coach on Travis Fordís staff. A formal announcement is expected Tuesday."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/17/ussd-basketball-bill-grier-oklahoma-state/

ZagaZags
08-17-2015, 07:58 PM
"Former USD basketball coach Bill Grier is headed to Oklahoma State, where, sources close to both programs confirmed, he has accepted a job as an assistant coach on Travis Ford’s staff. A formal announcement is expected Tuesday."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/17/ussd-basketball-bill-grier-oklahoma-state/

Oklahoma State is getting a good one. Great news.

Zagdawg
08-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Glad he has another shot.

Good luck Coach Grier

Is Bankhead still at San Diego?

sittingon50
08-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Good Luck, Coach.

webspinnre
08-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Good for him. Best wishes, Coach.

ZagaZags
08-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Glad he has another shot.

Good luck Coach Grier

Is Bankhead still at San Diego?

Nope.

webspinnre
08-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Nope.

Coach Bankheads twitter status as of last week was:

searching for a coaching job...

Best wishes to him. Hopefully he finds something, either through his own contacts, or through contacts through Coaches Grier or Few.

Angelo Roncalli
08-17-2015, 09:30 PM
One of the requirements for the new job is that he change his name to Billy-Bob Grier.

sittingon50
08-17-2015, 10:57 PM
One of the requirements for the new job is that he change his name to Billy-Bob Grier.

Ouch.

MDABE80
08-18-2015, 01:25 AM
Billy's probably a better coach than Ford. Bill just had so much inherited trouble down there. And there was more trouble ahead nobody could know about. Tough slog for a great guy. Best to him and his wife. Great couple.

Birddog
08-18-2015, 03:56 AM
He'll have to invest in some Tenny Lamas.
http://www.4ezdaz.com/TennyLamas.jpg

TexasZagFan
08-18-2015, 05:06 AM
"Former USD basketball coach Bill Grier is headed to Oklahoma State, where, sources close to both programs confirmed, he has accepted a job as an assistant coach on Travis Fordís staff. A formal announcement is expected Tuesday."

Good news for fans in Stillwater! The Cowboys now have a coach on their staff that has beaten the Zags!

Birddog
08-18-2015, 05:13 AM
If the Cowboys don't get better than they were last year, he'll likely be looking for a job next year too. Ford is on the hotseat.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-18-2015, 05:38 AM
It's hilarious that Grier has beaten us but the power 5 school is 0-for-6.

TexasZagFan
08-18-2015, 06:45 AM
If the Cowboys don't get better than they were last year, he'll likely be looking for a job next year too. Ford is on the hotseat.

T-Bone's not shelling out all that money for the Cowboys to barely make the Dance.

TexasZagFan
08-18-2015, 06:49 AM
It's hilarious that Grier has beaten us but the power 5 school is 0-for-6.

He's had a lot more chances, though. In my neck of the woods, there's a ton of OSU alumni. They seem to prefer to focus on football, year round.

Bogozags
08-18-2015, 08:19 AM
TZF I believe he is the ONLY coach in OK to have beaten GU...

TheGonzagaFactor
08-18-2015, 09:19 AM
He's had a lot more chances, though. In my neck of the woods, there's a ton of OSU alumni. They seem to prefer to focus on football, year round.

That's all true, but it's still funny that Ford hasn't beaten us.

seacatfan
08-18-2015, 09:34 AM

That's the same thing I was thinking.

TexasZagFan
08-18-2015, 09:46 AM
TZF I believe he is the ONLY coach in OK to have beaten GU...

That sounds about right...there's been some turnover at OU since Pargo's Zags lost to Griffin's Sooners. I was at that game, those two put on a show for the ages in the second half of that game. When Jeremy ran out of gas, he didn't get much help as his teammates had spent too much time watching Jeremy go at it.

It was a great game, though. Griffin as a freshman was an absolute stud.

Bogozags
08-19-2015, 04:39 AM
That sounds about right...there's been some turnover at OU since Pargo's Zags lost to Griffin's Sooners. I was at that game, those two put on a show for the ages in the second half of that game. When Jeremy ran out of gas, he didn't get much help as his teammates had spent too much time watching Jeremy go at it.

It was a great game, though. Griffin as a freshman was an absolute stud.

Yes he was a stud and thought his brother was pretty decent too!

I think Josh was either rehabbing or had injured his foot...think that Rob played a lot in that game, might have started...JP was a very skilled player but just thought some of his end-of-game decisions could of been better...he drove almost every time and could of "dumped" off a pass for a lay-up BUT if frogs had wings...

Birddog
08-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Yes he was a stud and thought his brother was pretty decent too!

I think Josh was either rehabbing or had injured his foot...think that Rob played a lot in that game, might have started...JP was a very skilled player but just thought some of his end-of-game decisions could of been better...he drove almost every time and could of "dumped" off a pass for a lay-up BUT if frogs had wings...

Heyvelt returned but played sparingly. Downs got injured and played reduced minutes. Bouldin played coming off injury, and most importantly, Sooner Tony Crocker had a career night bombing 3's.

DixieZag
08-19-2015, 08:53 AM
I hope they do well, though I would think Billy would be able to find a decent place to land even if that coaching staff was let go.

I would think that Billy would be the top assistant, or I at least hope he would.

Happy for him. I've heard Stillwater is a cool little place and Oklahoma has some really nice areas, reputation is wrong in lots of places - should be a good job if they can win.

Birddog
08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Stillwater Ok is a nice little community with a pop of a little over 50k. Think of the combined Pullman and Moscow area except flat and you have it. It's about equidistant to Tulsa or OKC (50 miles or so). I believe James Dickey is the head asst coach and he is on his second stint at that position. He has also been head coach at Texas Tech for 10 years and U of Houston for 4. He is a disciple of Eddie Sutton. Grier can probably get at least 1.5 to 2.0 times the house for the money in Stillwater . There is no nearby beach but OSU does have Karsten Creek Golf Course that is world class and of course the BB and football facilities are top notch compliments of Mr Pickens.

TexasZagFan
08-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Stillwater Ok is a nice little community with a pop of a little over 50k. Think of the combined Pullman and Moscow area except flat and you have it. It's about equidistant to Tulsa or OKC (50 miles or so). I believe James Dickey is the head asst coach and he is on his second stint at that position. He has also been head coach at Texas Tech for 10 years and U of Houston for 4. He is a disciple of Eddie Sutton. Grier can probably get at least 1.5 to 2.0 times the house for the money in Stillwater . There is no nearby beach but OSU does have Karsten Creek Golf Course that is world class and of course the BB and football facilities are top notch compliments of Mr Pickens.

Thanks to the recent energy boom, there's a ton of money in that state. No, Stillwater's not San Diego by any stretch.

I'm unaware of his marital/family status. Stillwater seems like a good place to settle down and raise a family.

jazzdelmar
08-19-2015, 01:11 PM
SD to Stillwater? No thanks. Mrs Pickens has a $50 million joint on the beach here in Del Mar, working on landing her third gajillionaire hubby, after Paulson and Quijote.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2010/mar/09/del-mar-settles-billionaire-hedges/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2212534/Texas-oil-tycoon-T-Boone-Pickens-84-files-divorce-fourth-wife.html

Zagdawg
08-19-2015, 01:39 PM
$50 million joint there= 2 bed 2 bath condo with beach access. ;)

sittingon50
08-19-2015, 01:44 PM
$50 million joint there= 2 bed 2 bath condo with beach access. ;)

No kidding!:roll:

jazzdelmar
08-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Close, but a studio in the Apple.

Birddog
08-19-2015, 04:59 PM
That hedge fund attempt by Ms Pickens was paltry compared to Boone's.