PDA

View Full Version : Lefties -- great press

77Zag
08-13-2015, 12:25 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-08-13/notre-dames-malik-zaire-uncs-marcus-paige-among-top-lefties

Great stuff on PK and DS

3XaZag
08-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Great to hear that Karnowski was only a freshman last year .....THREE MORE YEARS !!!

Interesting that they are two of the three basketball mentions....must mean:
a) the author knows they are the two of the three best lefties in the college bball game ...or...
b) the author is a NW/Zag homer

How about it? Does anyone know any other stronger lefties in the game today?

Jazzgirl_127
08-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Is there any type of advantage to being a lefty in basketball like there is in some sports? My husbsnd asked me that and even though I shot lefty I couldn't answer definitively.
Dower was also a lefty, GU's apparently the home of sinister big men ;)

DixieZag
08-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Great to hear that Karnowski was only a freshman last year .....THREE MORE YEARS !!!

Interesting that they are two of the three basketball mentions....must mean:
a) the author knows they are the two of the three best lefties in the college bball game ...or...
b) the author is a NW/Zag homer

How about it? Does anyone know any other stronger lefties in the game today?

"A" is likely the arguable truth
"B" is one you can likely take to the bank

Which is fine.

seacatfan
08-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Is there any type of advantage to being a lefty in basketball like there is in some sports? My husbsnd asked me that and even though I shot lefty I couldn't answer definitively.
Dower was also a lefty, GU's apparently the home of sinister big men ;)

I think so. Defenders are used to matching up against players that are right hand dominant and shoot with their right. A lefty would be a bit unorthodox and I imagine takes a bit of getting used to playing D against one. Even if the scouting report emphasizes an opponent is a lefty, your brain and muscle memory is hard wired to be playing against other righties.

IowaSERE
08-15-2015, 08:32 PM
It's easier to block a shot with your left hand on a right handed shooter as you're not reaching across your body

maynard g krebs
08-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Left handed people are more right brain dominant, and I think that is what makes them harder to guard. Right brain hemisphere is the creative side, which I believe makes lefties more unorthodox and allows them to see out of the box playmaking opportunities more readily. Karno's behind the back bounce passes in the tourney is a prime example. Or for those who are old enough, think of the driving moves of players like Billy Cunningham, Tiny Archibald or Sarunas Marciulunis (sp?) or in the modern era James Harden or even Tony Wroten. Unorthodox and hard to predict, therefore harder to defend. I think it goes beyond being accustomed to guarding righties.

The flip side is that lefties are more likely to take impulsive chances and make mistakes (turnovers, defensive gambles, Sabonis' cheap fouls for example) since the creative side of their brains is more in control than their practical/ logical side. And lefties tend to be more red hot/ ice cold shooting the ball, if they're outside shooters especially. Statistically lefties don't live as long, maybe due to the tendency to be impulsive chance-takers.

I'm left handed, btw, all the above applies to me and observations of other players seem to confirm it, at least in my mind.

DixieZag
08-16-2015, 11:20 AM
.Statistically lefties don't live as long, maybe due to the tendency to be impulsive chance-takers.

Or maybe it's because we get lead poisoning wiping off the pencil stain on our left hands in grade school?

SteelZag
08-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Or maybe it's because we get lead poisoning wiping off the pencil stain on our left hands in grade school?

My older brother (2 yr) was left-handed and taught me how to write. I ended up with quite a few bad habits which didn't go away easily when it came to penmanship.

seacatfan
08-16-2015, 02:34 PM
As far as the life expectancy thing, I remember reading somewhere that lefties are more accident prone because the world is designed by and for right handed people.

seacatfan
08-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Interesting thoughts Maynard. So what about boxing? Are southpaws dangerous because they are more creative boxers, or is it because the punches are coming from an unexpected angle?

Suddenly I'm thinking of the wonderful epic duel scene in "The Princess Bride" where both fighters start out pretending to be left handed to make it more challenging.

Jazzgirl_127
08-16-2015, 02:58 PM
I was thinking similarly with blocking other's shots, but I figured it worked both ways, you'd be more likely to have your own shot blocked by a right handed player (I guess that's less of an issue when you're 7' lol).

Another random question, I notice a lot of the time guys take lay-ups from the left side of the basket with their right hand, but often in the women's game, women will take it with the hand that gives them the greater extension in jumping (and I know that's how we were taught in grade school)...do they not teach young boys to shoot lay-ups with the hand that's the same as the side of the court they're taking it from? At that distance it's not like you desperately need to use your dominant hand.

Suddenly I'm thinking of the wonderful epic duel scene in "The Princess Bride" where both fighters start out pretending to be left handed to make it more challenging.

Being lefty in fencing actually does have an advantage. I write with my right hand but decided to fence lefty in high school because our coach was lefty and there were 2 other girls on our competition team that were lefty. Most fencers that were right handed didn't come up against lefties often so they weren't used to doing certain attacks against them, and most lefties didn't have other lefties to practice against regularly. I beat a very good left handed girl twice (5-0 and 5-1)and I think it was purely because she wasn't used to going up against another lefty (she had private lessons, 2 older siblings who were very good in our league, and started at a young age, I'd only learned to fence a couple of months prior to our bout). Fencing was an excellent "plan B" when basketball didn't work out because the footwork is similar to playing defense.

seacatfan
08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
I have to admit I don't know a thing about fencing. I had a former roommate that was into it in high school or college before I met him. I can see it being great for footwork.

maynard g krebs
08-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Interesting thoughts Maynard. So what about boxing? Are southpaws dangerous because they are more creative boxers, or is it because the punches are coming from an unexpected angle?

As Bill Walton said when asked what his son Luke was doing, I have no idea. As a left handed person, and especially as one who has suffered a couple of serious head injuries, if someone was trying to punch me in the brain, my creative side right brain would yield to the survival-side left brain, which would have me thinking about whether the best escape route was over the ropes, between the ropes or under the ropes.

Jazzgirl_127
08-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I really liked your thoughts as well Maynard, very interesting. I just chalked up Karno's behind the back passes to him being awesome, not which side of the brain lefties use more often. My 4 year old is a lefty, so I'm prepared for a lifetime of seeing pencil led/ink on his hand...right now he has it all figured out and just writes right to left, which works out okay when the only 2 words he can write beside his name are "Mom" and "Dad" ;)

DixieZag
08-16-2015, 05:30 PM
I really liked your thoughts as well Maynard, very interesting. I just chalked up Karno's behind the back passes to him being awesome, not which side of the brain lefties use more often. My 4 year old is a lefty, so I'm prepared for a lifetime of seeing pencil led/ink on his hand...right now he has it all figured out and just writes right to left, which works out okay when the only 2 words he can write beside his name are "Mom" and "Dad" ;)

Start exercising that left arm now and he can have a 20 year career pitching to left handed hitters in late innings.

Maybe lefties die of tetanus because we get poked by broken spirals in our notebooks?

They sell almost as many left handed golf clubs in Canada as they do right handed clubs - reason being that how people golf often follows how they first held a hockey stick which is far less dependent on L-R handedness.

kitzbuel
08-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Start exercising that left arm now and he can have a 20 year career pitching to left handed hitters in late innings.

Maybe lefties die of tetanus because we get poked by broken spirals in our notebooks?

They sell almost as many left handed golf clubs in Canada as they do right handed clubs - reason being that how people golf often follows how they first held a hockey stick which is far less dependent on L-R handedness.
I used a 'left handed' hockey stick but golf right. Horrible at both.

SteelZag
08-16-2015, 06:09 PM

I've always wondered why parents don't teach youngsters how to bat left-handed. Being a few steps closer to first, lead eye dominance and making it a little more difficult for a catcher to throw out runners are just a few advantages to being right-handed and batting lefty.

As for golfing righty or lefty I know when I was young, left-handed clubs weren't as available and kids were forced to play right-handed. I thought a lot about Phil Mickelson as I was watching the PGA. Phil is right handed, but learned how to swing by mirroring his father. That got me to wondering whether this causes any conflicts with his brain when it comes to shot selection. A cartoon figure filled my head with pictures of Phil contemplating a shot with an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. That possibly creates the demons that occasionally invade Phil's head.

Thoughts?

MDABE80
08-16-2015, 07:21 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19808_5-reasons-being-left-handed-screws-you-life.html

DixieZag
08-16-2015, 08:03 PM
I've always wondered why parents don't teach youngsters how to bat left-handed. Being a few steps closer to first, lead eye dominance and making it a little more difficult for a catcher to throw out runners are just a few advantages to being right-handed and batting lefty.

As for golfing righty or lefty I know when I was young, left-handed clubs weren't as available and kids were forced to play right-handed. I thought a lot about Phil Mickelson as I was watching the PGA. Phil is right handed, but learned how to swing by mirroring his father. That got me to wondering whether this causes any conflicts with his brain when it comes to shot selection. A cartoon figure filled my head with pictures of Phil contemplating a shot with an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. That possibly creates the demons that occasionally invade Phil's head.

Thoughts?

I think Phil just has so much money, talent, good family stuff going on that he just has to take some risks to get the blood pumping, like the rich guy in Vegas needs to play 10K a hand just to get interested. Maybe that's what Phil is dealing with when he looks down 18, up by 2, on a narrow-fairway....

Some guys cut their off their ear and then paint Starry Night. Phil pulls driver and cuts off his. . . never mind. Genius/Context.

Presidents:
Obama
Clinton
George H W Bush
Reagan
Ford
Truman

ProjectMKUltra5
08-17-2015, 09:25 AM

It's because of the angles that are created in a southpaw vs orthodox matchup and the fact that the southpaw is used to those angles while the orthodox fighter is usually not. For example, the lead hook to the liver becomes available when the stances are mirrored like that. The straight left to the head and body is also a dangerous weapon. In the context of combat where kicking is allowed, the body is wide open to be kicked by the rear leg. All of these weapons are available to the orthodox fighter as well but the southpaw is better equipped to deal with those situations because they fight orthodox fighters all the time, whereas the orthodox fighter doesn't always get the chance to fight (or train with) a southpaw.

Since I've already gone off topic, am I the only one who is absolutely pumped for the Alvarez Cotto fight? Another chapter in the historic Mexico V Puerto Rico boxing rivalry between two dudes who bring straight fire to the ring. It's going to be a crazy fight.

IowaSERE
08-18-2015, 01:41 PM
I am a lefty who plays golf right handed. I think it is an advantage. The whole swing is powered by the left hand/wrist. The right hand is just there for stability.

maynard g krebs
08-18-2015, 02:12 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19808_5-reasons-being-left-handed-screws-you-life.html

Really interesting stuff; thanks for the link. The ptsd and horror movie scene stuff definitely rings a bell, as I get physically ill from violent/scary imagery in film. Indecision/second guessing too. Along with depression/anxiety, which I always attributed to other causes. Interesting to learn there's a scientific basis.

Surprising to learn that lefties score low on times tests; I loved taking standardized achievement tests and found them fun, maybe because I was good at them. I had assumed that lefties would have an advantage at these based on my experience; guess not.

As to the stuff about tools and equipment, the only thing that really bugged me were the little school desks with the arm rest on the right side. Causes pain and discomfort by the end of the day. Everything else I could adapt to; you accept and learn to manipulate things as they are, from can openers to bowling balls drilled for righties.

Lots of drawbacks to be sure, but all in all I love being left handed because of the creativity and insight, and I believe empathy/compassion, come with it. It would be interesting to see an article on that aspect of left handedness.

maynard g krebs
08-18-2015, 02:14 PM
I am a lefty who plays golf right handed. I think it is an advantage. The whole swing is powered by the left hand/wrist. The right hand is just there for stability.

Me too. I do everything that takes two hands in the way that is deemed right handed; golf, batting in baseball, shooting pool, playing stringed instruments etc. Just seems natural; have no idea why.

Zagceo
08-18-2015, 02:29 PM

Thanks ABE fun read.