• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Sacre and Olynyk to Canada FIBA Americas Training Camp

Per basketball.ca,
    ORONTO, ON - The Canadian Men's National Team has announced the 16 athletes, including 10 players from the NBA, who will attend training camp in Toronto, ON from August 14-20 in advance of the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship in Mexico City.

"We have a talented mix of NBA and pro athletes and we're excited to get them in the gym together," said Head Coach Jay Triano. "This camp will be an opportunity to train, build team chemistry and prepare for a tough and important tournament with the goal of qualifying for Rio."

Triano will be joined by Assistants Dave Smart (Ottawa, ON), David Vanterpool (Washington, DC) and Bryan Gates (New Orleans, LA).

Tryouts and training camp will take place from August 14-20 at the Air Canada Centre. Full training camp roster and staff list below.

The team will participate in the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship in Mexico City, Mexico from August 31-September 12. The 1st and 2nd place teams will qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympics.

In advance of the FIBA Americas, Team Canada will head to Puerto Rico to participate in the Tuto Marchand 5-team exhibition tournament from August 23-26.
    Invitees:
    Bennett, Anthony
    Bhullar, Sim
    Doornekamp, Aaron
    Ejim, Melvin
    English, Carl
    Hanlan, Olivier
    Heslip, Brady
    Joseph, Cory
    Murray, Jamal
    Nicholson, Andrew
    Olynyk, Kelly
    Powell, Dwight
    Sacre, Robert
    Scrubb, Phil
    Stauskas, Nik
    Wiggins, Andrew
    • Sep 2007

Will Rob Sacre make the team?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mojo13
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
      Will Rob Sacre make the team?
      I think it is near certain. Rob is the only serviceable true center on that list and his skill set will be very much needed. Fiba is a very rough and tumble game. Very different from NBA or ncaa ball. Someone will be needed to take offense when Wiggins gets manhandled on a drive to the hoop. Canada's roster doesn't scream "tough guys". Most are young and inexperienced and will be susceptible to getting abused by wily fiba vets. Big Rob will have an important enforcer/defensive anchor type role while chipping in some buckets.

Keys to this team are KO, Cory Joseph and Wiggins. Next in importance is a long range wing stepping up (Stauskas, Heslip, English?), PF depth and then Big Rob bringing some manliness to the kids.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Mojo13 View Post
        I think it is near certain. Rob is the only serviceable true center on that list and his skill set will be very much needed. Fiba is a very rough and tumble game. Very different from NBA or ncaa ball. Someone will be needed to take offense when Wiggins gets manhandled on a drive to the hoop. Canada's roster doesn't scream "tough guys". Most are young and inexperienced and will be susceptible to getting abused by wily fiba vets. Big Rob will have an important enforcer/defensive anchor type role while chipping in some buckets.

Keys to this team are KO, Cory Joseph and Wiggins. Next in importance is a long range wing stepping up (Stauskas, Heslip, English?), PF depth and then Big Rob bringing some manliness to the kids.
        That's really cool. I hope you're right. Thanks for the great answer. Hope Kevin gets a shot at it some day.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• OZZY
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2009

If Kevin was not invited to the camp (and declined for some reason) then I am disgusted with Canada Basketball management, especially as he has such a strong connection with KO and Big Rob.

Comment

• Mojo13
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
            If Kevin was not invited to the camp (and declined for some reason) then I am disgusted with Canada Basketball management, especially as he has such a strong connection with KO and Big Rob.

Save your disgust for something other than Team Canada mgmt. which is mostly Steve Nash, Rowen Barratt and Jay Triano by the way. Who are all very close to KP.

Kevin is supposed to report to Spain in a couple weeks to get acclimated. He was not really in the picture all summer - choosing summer league instead of the PanAms. Typically most rooks are focused on their first pro contract and don't participate in national team duties. Hanlan is the exception here as maybe he needs to get to Lithuania at a later date. KP will be involved with Team Canada down the road but he has some work to do as he is arguably the 4th or 5th PG on the depth list.
            Last edited by Mojo13; 08-11-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Bogozags
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2008

Wondering why Tristan Thompson isn't on this roster...have not seen a better offensive rebounder in quite some time...maybe since Paul Silas...

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                Wondering why Tristan Thompson isn't on this roster...have not seen a better offensive rebounder in quite some time...maybe since Paul Silas...
                Might have something to do with his ongoing contract dispute.
                I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Mojo13
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                  Might have something to do with his ongoing contract dispute.
                  Correct. Announced yesterday that Tristan is officially out because of contract dispute and inability to insure him.
                  Other notable absences:
                  Tyler Ennis - recovering from off season shoulder surgery.
                  Trey Lyles (Jazz) - Rookie season getting acclimated to his first pro season (Like Pangos).
                  Andy Rautins - unknown by me. I think he may be without a pro contract right now and might be uninsurable
                  Sam Dalembert - falling out with Team Canada many years ago and hasn't been involved for the past five years
                  Joel Anthony (Pistons) - getting up there in age and I think just passing the torch

Outside of Thompson and Ennis I think we have our best available guys (maybe Rautins is better than English or Heslip). I wouldn't mind Pangos there as I dont think Murray can play due to NCAA regs and KP is a better pure PG than Hanlan and more experienced with FIBA ball.

My ideal roster from that list:

Joseph, Hanlan
                  Stauskas, English, Heslip
                  Wiggins, Ejim (although Doornekamp probably gets the nod)
                  Nicholson, Bennett
                  Olynyk, Sacre, Powell

Not bad, but very young and inexperienced in FIBA. Unfortunately qualifying for the Olympics will all come down to a single semi-final game in a hostile environment where anything can happen.

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Had Pangos made the team, or even be invited, it would be amazing to have 3 players of that caliber coming from little Gonzaga.

I sure hope that these successes pay dividends down the road.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• OZZY
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                      Had Pangos made the team, or even be invited, it would be amazing to have 3 players of that caliber coming from little Gonzaga.

I sure hope that these successes pay dividends down the road.
                      Obviously I am disappointed that Kevin is not there...

He would only be used as a pure point guard and may not have the height and athleticism to play the 2 at this level. Hanlan and Scrubb have a bit of height on him.

I sure hope he kicks but in Europe over the next couple of years and pushes his way on to the team...

Comment

• Mojo13
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Nov 2012

Final twelve should be announced Thursday or Friday and then they are off to Puerto Rico for four warm up games (Tuto Marchand Cup) with ARG, BRA, DR and PR - Starting this Sunday against ARG.

KO should be starting and I fully expect Rob to make they team as see significant minutes backing up KO.

FIBA Americas which starts at the end of the month - may see 10 games in ten days for Canada so lots of playing time to go around as teams are going to need to dig deep.

Comment

• ZagNative
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Roster for Tuto Marchand tournament announced: http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-art...ontinental-cup

TORONTO, ON (August 20) - The Canadian Men's National Team has announced the 13 athletes, who will attend the Tuto Marchand Continental Cup exhibition tournament in Puerto Rico from August 23-26, ahead of the 2015 FIBA Americas Men's Championship in Mexico City.

"We've had an intense camp and we’re looking forward to transitioning into game play," said Jay Triano, Head Coach. "Tuto Marchand will give us an opportunity to play against some of our key competition prior to the Olympic qualifier."

Triano will be joined by Assistants Dave Smart (Ottawa, ON), David Vanterpool (Washington, DC) and Bryan Gates (New Orleans, LA).

Team Canada will take on Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico in the 5-team exhibition tournament. Click here for full schedule.

Following the exhibition tournament, the Men's National Team will announce the final 12 players who will represent Canada at the FIBA Americas, where the 1st and 2nd place teams will qualify for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Fans can watch the exhibition tournament at LiveBasketball.TV

The 2015 FIBA Americas Championship takes place in Mexico City, Mexico from August 31-September 12.
                          Bennett, Anthony
                          Doornekamp, Aaron
                          Ejim, Melvin
                          Hanlan, Olivier
                          Heslip, Brady
                          Joseph, Cory
                          Nicholson, Andrew
                          Olynyk, Kelly
                          Powell, Dwight
                          Sacre, Robert
                          Scrubb, Phil
                          Stauskas, Nik
                          Wiggins, Andrew

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Congrats to Rob & Kelly!!

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                              Roster for Tuto Marchand tournament announced: http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-art...ontinental-cup

Bennett, Anthony
                              Doornekamp, Aaron
                              Ejim, Melvin
                              Hanlan, Olivier
                              Heslip, Brady
                              Joseph, Cory
                              Nicholson, Andrew
                              Olynyk, Kelly
                              Powell, Dwight
                              Sacre, Robert
                              Scrubb, Phil
                              Stauskas, Nik
                              Wiggins, Andrew
                              Guess the youngster PG, Jamal Murray, will be in Kentucky for first week of school. Coach Cal must be thrilled. After watching PanAm games, I'm surprised but it's probably best for him academically.
                              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Working...
                              X