PDA

View Full Version : Is Gonzaga Done Recruiting for the 2015-2016 Season?

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-08-2015, 07:52 PM
By my count, the Gonzaga men's basketball team has only nine eligible players on scholarship for the coming season. There are some very good players among those nine and they should form an excellent nine-man rotation. I worry about the lack of depth on the back end of the bench. There seems to be an unusually high vulnerability to injuries or foul trouble.

We lost five players during the offseason - three to graduation and two to transfers. We did not replace them with any immediately eligible transfers and brought in just one freshman, a non-scholarship player who might need time to develop before competing at the Division I level.

The recruiting offseason has certainly been productive. The staff has reloaded for future seasons with excellent prospects who will be critical players in coming years. The staff has landed two outstanding transfers in Williams-Goss and Williams III, neither of whom is eligible during the coming season. They also secured a pair of early commitments from two very promising 2016 freshmen in Jesse Wade and Zach Collins.

Does Gonzaga need to bring in another eligible body just to round out the roster? Are there any remaining prospects available who could legitimately contribute to this talented team? Does anyone know if the coaches are even still looking for one more Euro player, JUCO transfer, or late commitment from a high school player? Are the walk-on players ready to answer the call, if one of the regular players goes down?

Is Gonzaga done recruiting for this coming season?

zag67
08-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Super question. My guess would be we are done. My reasons are: First if he is a 4 or 5, I do not see any playing time for this year unless an injury. And if you look at the guards we have under scholarship Dranginis, Perkins, Melson, Alberts, and McClellan. Plus a couple of solid walkons. Therefore playing time would be limited at all positions. So my guess (if we get any) would be a Euro that needs a year to mature. Might not redshirt, but would not play very much. He would practice against super players and prepare for next year.

Zagdawg
08-08-2015, 09:00 PM
We have Alberts, Perkins and Edwards available off of redshirt which will help. It would be interesting if a late transfer became available.

MickMick
08-08-2015, 09:03 PM
I like Pete Carroll's mantra. "There is no finish line."

I don't think the staff is ever "done." We live in the transfer era of college hoops. Players coming and going almost every season. Not specific to GU, this is the modern landscape of college basketball.

Indeed, coaches might need to recruit their own players. There is, after all, that story about Few recruiting Olynyk to stay at GU. You remember Few's recruiting pitch to Olynyk........"Since a transfer will force you to sit out a season, why not just redshirt and sit out a season here instead?"

Nope....the recruiting never ends.

Rangerzag
08-09-2015, 04:19 AM
Last Day to Add
Wednesday, September 9
http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Academic-Calendar/default.asp

FlagZag
08-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Leaf...please.

ZAG 4 LIFE
08-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Leaf would be a recruiting masterpiece... But he is likely Westwood bound now. :pray:

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Leaf would be a recruiting masterpiece... But he is likely Westwood bound now. :pray:

When would Leaf enroll?

ZAGGED OUT
08-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Leaf won't be coming here so I wouldn't worry too much about him and enrollment dates.

Zag 77
08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
... Rem Bakamus is here.:)

sittingon50
08-10-2015, 01:35 PM
... Rem Bakamus is here.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziOMJeC6lc

ZagaZags
08-10-2015, 01:37 PM
When would Leaf enroll?

More than likely, UCLA 2016. SDSU will be in the mix too. The fact Leaf has GU in his final 8 tells me the staff must have reached out to him after he bailed on Arizona.
It is always nice to see Gonzaga mentioned when it comes to high level players.

Elite 8

Kentucky
SDSU
UCLA
Kansas
Texas
California
Indiana
Gonzaga