PDA

View Full Version : Updated ESPN Bracketology and pre-season Top 25

Hooray4Daye&Gray
08-05-2015, 08:13 AM
ESPN is rolling out the college basketball content today on the main home page.

Check out where our Zags rank. I think both the projected seed and rank are relatively fair as a starting point. Not sure about the number 1 ranked team, though.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13369291/maryland-terrapins-north-carolina-tar-heels-lead-no-longer-way-too-early-top-25

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Gonzdb8
08-05-2015, 08:17 AM
zags should probably be in the top 10, but an unproven back court is keeping us out. there are at least 2 teams i think we're definitively better than who are currently ranked ahead of us.
#1 ranking for maryland...meh. they probably have as good a case as anyone else. there is definitely no presumptive favorite this year.

gonzagafan62
08-05-2015, 08:36 AM
I think #11 is fair, but I honestly think we would take Oklahoma (#8) to the dang woodshed, and UNC is vastly overrated. Other than that, no complaints on anything.

jazzdelmar
08-05-2015, 08:59 AM
11 is a great starting slot. Wouldn't want to be in top 10 just yet. Sky's the limit. Bahamas the key. Could be top 3-5 with a win.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-05-2015, 09:26 AM
11 is a great starting slot. Wouldn't want to be in top 10 just yet. Sky's the limit. Bahamas the key. Could be top 3-5 with a win.

If Zags win in Japan and then win Battle 4 Atlantis, than I think they get into the top 10 for sure but not into the top 5. Pittsburgh not ranked, Texas A&M is the only other top 25 team in the Battle 4 Atlantis tourney, and they just eeked in at 25.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Battle 4 Atlantis>>>>>>Maui

If we win that we'll be top 5 imo

TheGonzagaFactor
08-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I think #11 is fair, but I honestly think we would take Oklahoma (#8) to the dang woodshed, and UNC is vastly overrated. Other than that, no complaints on anything.

I haven't seen these teams play yet so I don't know, but Okla does tend to be a bit overrated.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Battle 4 Atlantis>>>>>>Maui

If we win that we'll be top 5 imo

I don't understand why. There MIGHT be one other ranked team at the B4A. Winning that could help us toward the end of the season if Cuse/Conn/Mich/Texas/A&M do well, but I don't see a push to get us into the top 5 if we go to Paradise Island and beat 3 unranked teams. For these reasons a loss at that tourney would hurt a little.

DixieZag
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
If Zags win in Japan and then win Battle 4 Atlantis, than I think they get into the top 10 for sure but not into the top 5. Pittsburgh not ranked, Texas A&M is the only other top 25 team in the Battle 4 Atlantis tourney, and they just eeked in at 25.

ouch. One would have thought that the battle for atlantis teams would have been higher ranked. Darn it. We haven't had good luck with high ranked teams in tourneys lately.

I thought we'd be nestled into 7-8 based on how dominant our front court is, regardless of some inexperience up front. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I am continually thinking our team is 4 slots better than where were ranked at the beginning.

Zagdawg
08-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Preseason rankings don't make much difference to me- I'm more focused on the end of season rankings.

Preseason rankings do help out with getting some discussion going without seeing what teams are putting on the court.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-05-2015, 11:32 AM
I don't understand why. There MIGHT be one other ranked team at the B4A. Winning that could help us toward the end of the season if Cuse/Conn/Mich/Texas/A&M do well, but I don't see a push to get us into the top 5 if we go to Paradise Island and beat 3 unranked teams. For these reasons a loss at that tourney would hurt a little.

I think the name value of the teams means something since we don't really know how the teams will shake out as the season goes on. Wins over UW, Cuse, and UCONN will be viewed more favorably then wins over Wake Forrest, UNLV, and UCLA when the tournaments take place.

And I'm just not as skeptical of the field in B4A. A&M should be ranked and Beoheim always gets his teams to produce and should still win 20 games. And don't even get me started on Kevin Ollie at UCONN, dude is my favorite young coach in the game. Kids play their butt off for that guy, they're gunna be a great team as long as he's there.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-05-2015, 12:08 PM
I think the name value of the teams means something since we don't really know how the teams will shake out as the season goes on. Wins over UW, Cuse, and UCONN will be viewed more favorably then wins over Wake Forrest, UNLV, and UCLA when the tournaments take place.

And I'm just not as skeptical of the field in B4A. A&M should be ranked and Beoheim always gets his teams to produce and should still win 20 games. And don't even get me started on Kevin Ollie at UCONN, dude is my favorite young coach in the game. Kids play their butt off for that guy, they're gunna be a great team as long as he's there.

I think our experience there will be valuable and wins should help us in the long run with RPI BPI etc..., but my post that you quoted was in response to people saying we'll shoot into the top 5 if undefeated once we return from The Bahamas. I just don't see that happening in the first 3 weeks of games unless we beat a couple teams above or near us in the rankings, and this is an opportunity we won't have.

I heard Utah fans down here last season saying they expected to shoot from the 20s to top 10 by early December after seeing their early schedule (which included preseason top 10 Wichita State). What they didn't realize is that pretty much all big programs have an easy first month, so losses by highly ranked teams just aren't likely to move you up more than 2 or 3 spots in November.

ZagsGoZags
08-05-2015, 12:13 PM
If we win in Japan and Bahama, the answer to this question will largely be determined by how many of the top 7 teams have lost one or two games by then.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-06-2015, 06:12 AM
If we win in Japan and Bahama, the answer to this question will largely be determined by how many of the top 7 teams have lost one or two games by then.

Will also depend on who they lose to.