PDA

View Full Version : Battle 4 Atlantis brackets "should" come out this week

GoZags
08-04-2015, 05:58 AM
Keep an eye out ... this should be a fun tournament. GoZags

http://www.atlantisbahamas.com/events/battle-4-atlantis

DixieZag
08-04-2015, 07:09 AM
They wouldn't make us play them in the first game would they? Be that obvious in the first round? Never know, TV money at stake, wherever it is best used is how most of these decisions will be made. I want them first and front.

gonzagafan62
08-04-2015, 07:34 AM
They wouldn't make us play them in the first game would they? Be that obvious in the first round? Never know, TV money at stake, wherever it is best used is how most of these decisions will be made. I want them first and front.

I'd love to play them in the first round.

Go Zags!

Bogozags
08-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Lets hope the bracket is kind to us...

I sincerely doubt UW will be on our side of the bracket... they will split Syracuse and UConn as well as UT and Texas A&M. I think GU will be bracketed with Syracuse, Michigan and Texas A&M...with our first game against Texas A&M. I also think it will be UW vs UT and UConn vs UNCC.

Syracuse, UConn and UT are the three teams I am most concerned with in this tournament...not saying the others are not strong but...Syracuse plays that 2-3 zone defence, which is really effective; UConn only has one speed (full speed ahead -Damn the torpedoes); and UT, well Shaka Smart is one of the better coaches in the country and that team WILL BE READY TO DEFEND the entire game.

I don't doubt our talent and ability but we are "untested" with our new line-up. We have the skill and experience with three - four seniors in the line-up BUT I just hope we have the patience to out last our opponents.

This will be the test of our season - winning this tournament and remaining injury free for the season will IMO make for another extremely successful season...and hopefully an appearance in the FF too!

Hoopaholic
08-04-2015, 08:28 AM

I sincerely doubt UW will be on our side of the bracket... they will split Syracuse and UConn as well as UT and Texas A&M. I think GU will be bracketed with Syracuse, Michigan and Texas A&M...with our first game against Texas A&M. I also think it will be UW vs UT and UConn vs UNCC.

Syracuse, UConn and UT are the three teams I am most concerned with in this tournament...not saying the others are not strong but...Syracuse plays that 2-3 zone defence, which is really effective; UConn only has one speed (full speed ahead -Damn the torpedoes); and UT, well Shaka Smart is one of the better coaches in the country and that team WILL BE READY TO DEFEND the entire game.

I don't doubt our talent and ability but we are "untested" with our new line-up. We have the skill and experience with three - four seniors in the line-up BUT I just hope we have the patience to out last our opponents.

This will be the test of our season - winning this tournament and remaining injury free for the season will IMO make for another extremely successful season...and hopefully an appearance in the FF too!

I soooooo badly want UW

TheGonzagaFactor
08-04-2015, 08:32 AM
I soooooo badly want UW

The bracket should be

Texas vs. A&M
Zags vs. UW
Conn vs. Cuse
Mich vs. Charlotte

Give me a good reason why they shouldn't do this. Honestly.

amaronizag
08-04-2015, 08:32 AM
UT is always one of the top teams nationally in defense, at least it was during the Barnes tenure. And I know Shaka teams are even way more intense on defense than the Barnes teams. Barnes always had incredible recruiting and depth and great defense but seemed to fizzle out using the flex-motion offense that just didn't generate enough points to beat anybody. Shaka's offense really changes the dynamics of that team. The UK speed and Syracuse defense will make this tournament a formidable early season challenge for the Zags. Let's hope our size, experience, and firepower will overcome everything they throw at us. I think we win that tournament. I love the basketball played in November/December -- great match-ups.

GoZags
08-04-2015, 08:45 AM
I soooooo badly want UW

Those "in the know" have said .... "We'll have to wait until we see the draw" while giving a BIG "wink".

Nothing is "in the bag until it is in the bag" ... but in my opinion (and GU's "opinion") ... GU v UDub in the 1st round is "in the bag".

That being said ... I'm looking forward to the bracket release (last year it was August 5) to see if it truly was "in the bag".

gonzagafan62
08-04-2015, 08:54 AM
The bracket should be

Texas vs. A&M
Zags vs. UW
Conn vs. Cuse
Mich vs. Charlotte

Give me a good reason why they shouldn't do this. Honestly.

My predicition:

UCONN (1) vs Charlotte (8)
Syracuse (4) vs Michigan(5)
Texas (3) vs Texas A&M (6)
Zags (2) vs UW (7)

kitzbuel
08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I soooooo badly want UW

I really think making sure the regional match ups happen makes sense. It would create buzz for early bracket games that might not be there otherwise. You have to think that having GU and UW match up early guarantees the match up and the added viewership that the rivalry story would bring. Same for other regional match ups, none of those teams routinely play each other, so this provides extra interest because of the rivalries.

DixieZag
08-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I really think making sure the regional match ups happen makes sense. It would create buzz for early bracket games that might not be there otherwise. You have to think that having GU and UW match up early guarantees the match up and the added viewership that the rivalry story would bring. Same for other regional match ups, none of those teams routinely play each other, so this provides extra interest because of the rivalries.

Dead on.

To Amazon's point, I'm worried less about this season than last season b/c I see what we have now in the bigs, I've seen the many "elder statesman" options at the 3, and, if we recall, (and it is hard) I believe that Perkins came out way ahead of expected for first 5 games frosh, both running the offense AND shooting (something I didn't think he was known for - he had NO qualms about shooting and hit just fine. And, if things really do need calming down in the back court, Mac has already proven he's got it.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2015, 09:41 AM
1 vs. 8, of course.

seacatfan
08-04-2015, 09:45 AM
I can't think of any reason the event organizers WOULDN'T go for the obvious regional matchups between teams that used to play yearly and now don't. It's such an easy way to add excitement and interest to the 1st round games.

I'm with Dixie. I think the younger guys hit the ground running, the veterans do what veterans do and the Zags come out of the gate looking great this year.

Zagdawg
08-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Perkins is the type of guard that will let the team come first-- if the team needs help scoring- he will step up. If his team has other more efficient scoring options then he will facilitate and do what it takes to make his team better. We saw that he can score when needed by his scoring average at his Colorado high school and in the all state senior game he dropped like 34 pts on the other all state players. He brings a great skill set to our team.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Perkins is the type of guard that will let the team come first-- if the team needs help scoring- he will step up. If his team has other more efficient scoring options then he will facilitate and do what it takes to make his team better. We saw that he can score when needed by his scoring average at his Colorado high school and in the all state senior game he dropped like 34 pts on the other all state players. He brings a great skill set to our team.

I agree 100% but I don't see how that's relevant to the B4A bracket reveal.

Bogozags
08-04-2015, 12:44 PM
There is bad blood between UT and TA&M...I just believe UT doesn't want to play them unless it is in the semi's or finals. The same with UConn and SU and UW doesn't want to play GU and lose on a neutral court. We'll have to wait until next year unless it is in the finals...

We'll see this week...:pray:

amaronizag
08-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I think Perkins is the most highly skilled Freshman guard we have ever recruited. I know that says a lot and that statement will be challenged by many, but this kid is a real phenom. I can't wait to watch his passing game this year. No doubt there will be turnovers as he develops, we've already seen some of that, but they will diminish with time as he tightens up his game and his confidence grows. I also think he will penetrate and take it to the hoop more than any guard we've had for a long time. He won't be our first scoring option, but doubt he will have any trouble averaging 14 points per game. We shall see.

seacatfan
08-04-2015, 02:06 PM
There is bad blood between UT and TA&M...I just believe UT doesn't want to play them unless it is in the semi's or finals. The same with UConn and SU and UW doesn't want to play GU and lose on a neutral court. We'll have to wait until next year unless it is in the finals...

We'll see this week...:pray:

Well of course several of those teams don't WANT to play each other. But why should the Battle 4 Atlantis be concerned about making sure none of these matchups happen? It makes for good drama and more reason to tune in to watch the games. How could they pass it up?

Bogozags
08-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Well of course several of those teams don't WANT to play each other. But why should the Battle 4 Atlantis be concerned about making sure none of these matchups happen? It makes for good drama and more reason to tune in to watch the games. How could they pass it up?

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I would love to see these match-ups and especially us playing UW in the first game BUT I believe the AD's (no GU's), since they most probably requested they don't play them if at all possible...I remember a few years ago when we played in the Orlando tournament(?) with UTenn in the tournament, the organizers put us in the opposite bracket because we were going to play them later that year. We still played them but if memory serves, in the finals.

I agree, it would be good basketball drama and no doubt the fans want to see those games but the AD's don't make that their #1 priority. They recruit many of the same kids and it would make it difficult to recruit a kid to UT if TA&M beat them earlier in the year...lots of drama going on behind the scenes especially between the Longhorns and Aggies do UT not wanting to play them in football since they went to the SEC...of course am just guessing it will turn out this way BUT in no way would I place money on my predictions...lol

seacatfan
08-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Yeah maybe the ADs can pull strings behind the scenes and get what they want at these early season tourneys.

Whatever tension might exist between UT and T A&M on the basketball floor, it pales by comparison to football. NOW that is some good drama!

MDABE80
08-04-2015, 03:59 PM
We win this tournament and we'll be top or near there. It's a big deal this one!

23zagmd
08-04-2015, 04:05 PM
I actually think we will get UW. and it wouldn't shock me to see Tex and A&M, and Syr and UConn. all old conference/rivalry games!

DixieZag
08-04-2015, 06:01 PM
GZ says we will likely get the UW.

Thus, we will "likely" get the UW.

Thus, we're getting the UW.

GZ is the word around here....until he's wrong about something.

thespywhozaggedme
08-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Nolan Narian; but it wasn't just GZ; it was him, BZ and everyone in the know. NN pulled a fast one on us.
GZ says we will likely get the UW.

Thus, we will "likely" get the UW.

Thus, we're getting the UW.

GZ is the word around here....until he's wrong about something.

tyra
08-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Frankly my biggest worry about the Battle is that the team will have traveled to the Far East the week before. I don't care how young and resilient these young men are, that is absolutely brutal on their bodies.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-05-2015, 09:18 AM
We win this tournament and we'll be top or near there. It's a big deal this one!

There are some nice name programs in this year's tourney - UConn, Michigan, Syracuse, Texas - but I was disappointed to discover only 2 of the 8 teams are ranked in the preseason top 25 (Gonzaga @ #11 and Texas A&M @ #25) posted today by ESPN. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13369291/maryland-terrapins-north-carolina-tar-heels-lead-no-longer-way-too-early-top-25

Granted, preseason polls mean very little....but the people who know way more than I do about the upcoming season do not think very highly of this Battle 4 Atlantis field....should we? Gonzaga should be the heavy favorite to win the tourney.

ZagsGoZags
08-05-2015, 12:26 PM
After last season, the target that is always on our jerseys in the WCC will be on for the whole country.
For the next few years at least....
Our young players will have to get used to it.
For all the teams in this tourney, beating GU will the the biggest feather they can put in their hats on the flight home.

zagamatic
08-05-2015, 04:57 PM
The only thing that concerns me about playing UW in the first round is the lack of game tape to prepare for combined with jet lag. After all, UW is a completely different team this year than last with all of the new recruits (isn't it like 8?). Worst case scenario is that UW starts gelling while it takes our guys the first 10 minutes to get into the groove after circling the globe.

gonzagafan62
08-05-2015, 05:26 PM
There are some nice name programs in this year's tourney - UConn, Michigan, Syracuse, Texas - but I was disappointed to discover only 2 of the 8 teams are ranked in the preseason top 25 (Gonzaga @ #11 and Texas A&M @ #25) posted today by ESPN. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13369291/maryland-terrapins-north-carolina-tar-heels-lead-no-longer-way-too-early-top-25

Granted, preseason polls mean very little....but the people who know way more than I do about the upcoming season do not think very highly of this Battle 4 Atlantis field....should we? Gonzaga should be the heavy favorite to win the tourney.

If we don't win this tournament it will suck because I think both uconn and Syracuse will do well this season... So will Texas. A&M is borderline bubble. Just one mans opinion though

TheGonzagaFactor
08-06-2015, 06:17 AM

To be clear, that's not the actual preseason top 25. Just a general guess by a few ESPN NCAAB writers. For all we know GU will be at #15 and no one else from the B4A will be ranked.

LongIslandZagFan
08-06-2015, 06:42 AM
Someone had to say that it would be released this week. It has been like waiting for water to boil.

KStyles
08-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 39s
Gonzaga/Washington, Texas/Texas A&M, UConn/Michigan, Syracuse/Charlotte are 1st round matchups in the 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis, per release.

http://i.imgur.com/JgfLuWnl.jpg

http://espn.go.com/pdf/2015/0806/Atlantis_Standalone.pdf

KStyles
08-06-2015, 08:37 AM
And an overview from Dana O'Neil: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108166/bracket-breakdown-battle-4-atlantis

Ebay
08-06-2015, 08:48 AM
https://pointlessreactions.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/b47a89f2-bf0e-11e4-891b-c2fc162562e5-1020x798.jpg

ZagsGoZags
08-06-2015, 08:51 AM
If we don't win this tournament it will suck because I think both uconn and Syracuse will do well this season... So will Texas. A&M is borderline bubble. Just one mans opinion though

If we win the tournament, and uconn, syracuse, Texas, and A&M are actually top 20 material, it will only suck for awhile. If they are that good their positions will rise in the polls and we will get proper credit for beating the ones we beat. In the long run it won't suck at all, IMO.

Angelo Roncalli
08-06-2015, 09:00 AM
MBB To Face UW in Battle 4 Atlantis Opening Round

BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS HOME | B4A TICKET INFORMATION

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas – Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team will take on Washington in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis on Nov. 25 in Paradise Island, Bahamas, tournament organizers announced today.

The Zags will renew the in-state rivalry with the Huskies one year earlier than planned, as the teams had inked a four-year home-and-home series to begin in 2016-17. The teams last played Dec. 9, 2006, in the McCarthey Athletic Center, with the host Bulldogs taking a 97-77 victory. The Huskies had snapped a seven-game losing streak in the series the previous season with a 99-95 home victory.

Gonzaga is coming off a school-record 35-3 season accompanied by a record 22-game win streak, WCC regular season and tournament titles, and a trip to the Elite Eight last season. The Zags return leading scorer Kyle Wiltjer, leading rebounder Domantas Sabonis and two-year starter Przemek Karnowski. All three were All-WCC performers, with Wiltjer earning multiple All-America honors.

The first day of the 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis welcomes four games, beginning with the below matchups, with all Tournament games times to be determined at a later date:

Game 1: Gonzaga University vs. University of Washington (ESPN)
Game 2: University of North Carolina at Charlotte vs. Syracuse University (ESPN)
Game 3: Texas A&M University vs. University of Texas (AXS TV)
Game 4: University of Michigan vs. University of Connecticut (AXS TV)

As part of Atlantis’ multiyear TV agreements for media rights with ESPN and AXS TV, all 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis games will be aired live on ESPN, ESPN2, and AXS TV. The entirety of the 12-game tournament will take place in Atlantis’ Imperial Arena, the unique and impressive 3,900-seat arena.

On Thursday, November 26, the second round of games will air as follows:

Game 5: Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 3 (ESPN)
Game 6: Winner of Game 4 vs. Winner of Game 2 (ESPN)
Game 7: Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 3 (AXS TV)
Game 8: Loser of Game 4 vs. Loser of Game 2 (AXS TV)

On Friday, November 27, the tournament’s final games will be available on each network as outlined below:

Game 9 (3rd Place): Loser of Game 5 vs. Loser of Game 6 (ESPN)
Championship Game: Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 6 (ESPN)
Game 11: Winner of Game 7 vs. Winner of Game 8 (AXS TV)
Game 12: Loser of Game 7 vs. Loser of Game 8 (AXS TV)

AXS TV is available nationally on AT&T U-verse (channel 1106), DIRECTV (channel 340), DISH (channel 167), Verizon FiOS (channel 569) as well as Charter, Comcast/Xfinity, Suddenlink and other cable, satellite and telco providers. The network is also distributed in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Go to axs.tv/subscribe for local listings.

Atlantis, Paradise Island is not only home to the world’s largest open-air marine habitat, but also a half-million dollar temporary arena with state-of-the-art regulation facilities, located at the epicenter of the famous resort. Atlantis offers guests extraordinary accommodations, a 141-acre adrenaline-inducing waterscape with slides and river rides, one of the most interactive casinos in the Caribbean, and a variety of fine and fast dining designed to please every palate.

Battle 4 Atlantis ticket and travel packages can be booked by calling 1-800-Atlantis or Battle4Atlantis.com. Fans can follow along using the hashtag #Battle4Atlantis on social media, as well.

Mr Vulture
08-06-2015, 09:05 AM
I have to laugh at these tournaments...you'd think they'd set the games to bring in the audience. The tipoff for the first games will likely be late morning/midday and the first game they have is a game with West Coast teams?? That makes no sense to me...

gonzagafan62
08-06-2015, 09:06 AM

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas – Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team will take on Washington in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis on Nov. 25 in Paradise Island, Bahamas, tournament organizers announced today.

The Zags will renew the in-state rivalry with the Huskies one year earlier than planned, as the teams had inked a four-year home-and-home series to begin in 2016-17. The teams last played Dec. 9, 2006, in the McCarthey Athletic Center, with the host Bulldogs taking a 97-77 victory. The Huskies had snapped a seven-game losing streak in the series the previous season with a 99-95 home victory.

Gonzaga is coming off a school-record 35-3 season accompanied by a record 22-game win streak, WCC regular season and tournament titles, and a trip to the Elite Eight last season. The Zags return leading scorer Kyle Wiltjer, leading rebounder Domantas Sabonis and two-year starter Przemek Karnowski. All three were All-WCC performers, with Wiltjer earning multiple All-America honors.

The first day of the 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis welcomes four games, beginning with the below matchups, with all Tournament games times to be determined at a later date:

Game 2: University of North Carolina at Charlotte vs. Syracuse University (ESPN)

As part of Atlantis’ multiyear TV agreements for media rights with ESPN and AXS TV, all 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis games will be aired live on ESPN, ESPN2, and AXS TV. The entirety of the 12-game tournament will take place in Atlantis’ Imperial Arena, the unique and impressive 3,900-seat arena.

On Friday, November 27, the tournament’s final games will be available on each network as outlined below:

AXS TV is available nationally on AT&T U-verse (channel 1106), DIRECTV (channel 340), DISH (channel 167), Verizon FiOS (channel 569) as well as Charter, Comcast/Xfinity, Suddenlink and other cable, satellite and telco providers. The network is also distributed in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Go to axs.tv/subscribe for local listings.

Atlantis, Paradise Island is not only home to the world’s largest open-air marine habitat, but also a half-million dollar temporary arena with state-of-the-art regulation facilities, located at the epicenter of the famous resort. Atlantis offers guests extraordinary accommodations, a 141-acre adrenaline-inducing waterscape with slides and river rides, one of the most interactive casinos in the Caribbean, and a variety of fine and fast dining designed to please every palate.

Battle 4 Atlantis ticket and travel packages can be booked by calling 1-800-Atlantis or Battle4Atlantis.com. Fans can follow along using the hashtag #Battle4Atlantis on social media, as well.

Anyone know anything about AXS TV, and if we get that on DirecTV? I looked it up and it looks like its a movie channel? I don't understand? I wanna watch the whole tournament!

Corky
08-06-2015, 09:08 AM
https://pointlessreactions.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/b47a89f2-bf0e-11e4-891b-c2fc162562e5-1020x798.jpg

This really made me laugh. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDABE80
08-06-2015, 09:24 AM
lol me too. That Romar pic is a classic. I suspect it's not the last time we see it either.
Well this should be fun.
I might have to rejoin UW's Board for a month. It's been years.

Birddog
08-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Anyone know anything about AXS TV, and if we get that on DirecTV? I looked it up and it looks like its a movie channel? I don't understand? I wanna watch the whole tournament!

Here you go................................

strikenowhere
08-06-2015, 09:32 AM
lol me too. That Romar pic is a classic. I suspect it's not the last time we see it either.
Well this should be fun.
I might have to rejoin UW's Board for a month. It's been years.

Is there a definitive message board for UDub basketball? I've hunted around and can't seem to find the GU-equivalent

Jakester425
08-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Someone attending should make a big-head like poster of this haha.

Zag365
08-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Someone attending should make a big-head like poster of this haha.

Romar is thinking "who let the dogs out?"

Great venue, timing for this match-up. I like having the first game in years with U.W. be early in the season on a neutral court.

gonzagafan62
08-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Here you go................................

Ha. I cannot believe I missed that. Yikes! Thanks though Birddog. Sometimes, reading is not my forte. lol

sittingon50
08-06-2015, 09:57 AM
In the immortal words of Coach Reilly (Mighty Ducks):

"It ain't worth winnin' if you can't win big."

Bogozags
08-06-2015, 09:59 AM

Happy to have been wrong :)

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 10:03 AM
I've already been banned from most of the UW sites I found lol

Time to make a new account and terrorize em some more

LongIslandZagFan
08-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Top bracket is interesting with two games of in-state rivals.

Bogozags
08-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Romar is thinking "who let the dogs out?"

Great venue, timing for this match-up. I like having the first game in years with U.W. be early in the season on a neutral court.

Ok, we win this game on a NEUTRAL COURT...do those Western Washington kids STILL go to UW???? If so, WHY?

Angelo Roncalli
08-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Ok, we win this game on a NEUTRAL COURT...do those Western Washington kids STILL go to UW???? If so, WHY?

It's because of the basketball culture in Seattle. The culture that MKUltra so admires. The high school players around here are exposed to guys like Will Conroy and Nate Robinson and all the former Huskies who are in the area at pickup games at the UW IMA, Green Lake, etc. Gonzaga and WSU are demeaned, constantly. Then there are the too few kids who can think for themselves and see the big picture, kids like Gary Bell and Steven Gray, who chose excellence over mediocrity. And by the way, Will Conroy and Nate Robinson NEVER won a game against Gonzaga.

DixieZag
08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
It's because of the basketball culture in Seattle. The culture that MKUltra so admires. The high school players around here are exposed to guys like Will Conroy and Nate Robinson and all the former Huskies who are in the area at pickup games at the UW IMA, Green Lake, etc. Gonzaga and WSU are demeaned, constantly. Then there are the too few kids who can think for themselves and see the big picture, kids like Gary Bell and Steven Gray, who chose excellence over mediocrity. And by the way, Will Conroy and Nate Robinson NEVER won a game against Gonzaga.

Nice job, AR. I kinda had a fuzzy idea but you laid it out more clearly to why it is understandable in many ways. Guys like Gary and Steven are well-beyond average in terms of maturity coming in. It is easy to see how the "average" (describing myself at that age) would be able to look past a lot of that pressure.

As to the game, at this moment, I doubt that many of the players know the historical background making this game so fun for fans. They know well how big a game it is simply out of rivalry of an in-state opponent. It'll be fun over the next couple months thinking about the fact that they certainly will hear the history and them getting a little anger up.

MDABE80
08-06-2015, 11:50 AM
It's worse than that. Not only do they STILL make fun of our Zags (it's funny because of the W-L records) but to them Spokane is an outpost.....a little city with no culture, small minded people (like who's got a small mind??...look at THEM!) and crappy weather. Small school who kicks ass year in and year out....and worst of all CATHOLIC!! OMG!!.
Meanwhile, we got the goods . We got the team, we've got MORE than most now.
I'm all for leaving those kids who are inundated with this nonsense behind. The kids Ultra talked about last week...usually don't fit here.for many reasons.......cultural included. They just believe we're STILL a fluke with no firepower. "Lightweights" is the term. If we're in 2nd position, I'll take it.

The first step is to beat them In Atlantis.

Reborn
08-06-2015, 12:11 PM
I agree with you MDABEBO. The kids from the Seattle area are the ones, for the most part, or being hurt by not attending GU. Gonzaga no longer needs them. And that's a good feeling. Gonzaga's recruiting has never been at this high a level. And it has not yet reached the ceiling.

I couldn't be happier about the brackets. First, we get to play UW. Fantastic! Second, we don't have to play Syracuse second. Amen to that!! Biggest question to me going into this tournament is, "Can the GU guards handle Syracuse's zone defense?"

Zag365
08-06-2015, 12:17 PM

Accurate characterization which is why I've never favored the suggestion of having UW on our schedule as an annual "rivalry" game. No need to make recruiting in Puget Sound area any more difficult by letting locals here put pressure on recruits (or transfers) not to be "traitors" by selecting GU over UW. Let's leave WSU and Oregon to deal with that problem. Our rivalry is with nationally ranked teams (whoever they happen to be at the moment) and with our WCC opponents. Meanwhile, keep the BiS going, keep making the NCAA tourney, keep developing players, keep recruiting good character kids, keep graduation rate high, keep family feel, keep former players coming back to work out with the current players, keep the close relationship between players and student body going, etc. GU will not likely get a steady stream of top Puget Sound talent for reasons AR explained, but we will get a recruit or transfer from time-to-time as has been pointed out (I haven't tried to run the numbers but over the years, I'll bet GU has done about as well most programs not named UW in getting good players from W. Wash.). What's not to like?

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
We have people (mostly older white guys, I bet) disparaging perfectly respectable young black males like Nate Robinson or Brandon Roy for no apparent reason.

I wonder why they don't view Spokane as a place they want to spend their college years.

VinnyZag
08-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Western Washington is there home, their families/friends/support systems live here, UW plays in the Pac-12, they probably grew up rooting for the Huskies, etc. All kinds of reasons. I'll never get why this is such a hard concept for GU fans/Eastern Washingtonians to understand.

hooter73
08-06-2015, 12:42 PM

YES! New Avatar pic material right there.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 12:48 PM
It's worse than that. Not only do they STILL make fun of our Zags (it's funny because of the W-L records) but to them Spokane is an outpost.....a little city with no culture, small minded people (like who's got a small mind??...look at THEM!) and crappy weather. Small school who kicks ass year in and year out....and worst of all CATHOLIC!! OMG!!.
Meanwhile, we got the goods . We got the team, we've got MORE than most now.
I'm all for leaving those kids who are inundated with this nonsense behind. The kids Ultra talked about last week...usually don't fit here.for many reasons.......cultural included. They just believe we're STILL a fluke with no firepower. "Lightweights" is the term. If we're in 2nd position, I'll take it.

The first step is to beat them In Atlantis.

Have you not read Anglos posts? The man is literally painting everyone from Seattle with the same brush, except the ones who went the GU. They're clearly not dumb little hoodlums like the rest of their peers.

And everyone wonders why they don't identify with us. It's comical

jazzdelmar
08-06-2015, 12:51 PM
C'mon, GU diehards, get off the UW pipe. We are galaxies better than them Dawgs. Yes, I know about natural rivalries and I suppose Wazzu is still one as well, but, hello, your team and program are so far ahead of them on the CBB food chain it's not even close. As was rightly said, GU's rivals now are Duke, UVa, Zona, Ucla, ok, maybe Butler and Creighton. Let it go, Zagiacs, you're just lending respectability to a program that doesn't deserve it. Rant over.

Mantua
08-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Western Washington is there home, their families/friends/support systems live here, UW plays in the Pac-12, they probably grew up rooting for the Huskies, etc. All kinds of reasons. I'll never get why this is such a hard concept for GU fans/Eastern Washingtonians to understand.

My cousins grew up in Seattle and envied me living in Spokane just because Spokane is so clean and liveable. Seattle is an exciting city and has a lot to offer, but it's impossibly expensive now. The addition of all the new bike lanes congests traffic even more. I don't see a plan for solving the traffic problem and fear that one morning Seattle will wake up to permanent gridlock and everyone will have to walk out. So many neighborhoods are lined with parked cars. Lawyers are specializing in bicycle accidents now. I can still see the appeal though. What bothers me is the excessively denigrating attitude towards Spokane, especially when it comes to recruiting.

stevet75
08-06-2015, 01:33 PM
We have people (mostly older white guys, I bet) disparaging perfectly respectable young black males like Nate Robinson or Brandon Roy for no apparent reason.

I wonder why they don't view Spokane as a place they want to spend their college years.

Sexist, ageist and racist statement all in one sentence. Nice work.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Sexist, ageist and racist statement all in one sentence. Nice work.

That's what happens when you take the GU goggles off for a second. You realize that our fanbase is mini Duke

75Zag
08-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Yikes - too many political rants for me above. But meanwhile, is there a place on this forum or elsewhere that people like me can discuss the logistics of our upcoming trip this November, potential money saving tricks, ticket improvement strategies, etc.?

Please resume your rants - sorry for the interruption.

Go Bulldogs!

hockeyzag
08-06-2015, 02:17 PM

I like this guy. Go get em'!

nish_mode
08-06-2015, 03:33 PM
The kids in the Seattle area get immense pressure to play for UW, there's almost an open hostility towards Gonzaga. It's very difficult for Mark Few to recruit these kids who have been around the UW players and coaches growing up.

I heard recently that NWG was trying to play pickup with some of the Seattle NBA and former UW guys and they wouldn't let him play. Nate basically told him to go to Spokane and that he's not welcome anymore.

jazzdelmar
08-06-2015, 04:05 PM
The kids in the Seattle area get immense pressure to play for UW, there's almost an open hostility towards Gonzaga. It's very difficult for Mark Few to recruit these kids who have been around the UW players and coaches growing up.

I heard recently that NWG was trying to play pickup with some of the Seattle NBA and former UW guys and they wouldn't let him play. Nate basically told him to go to Spokane and that he's not welcome anymore.

Not too surprising. After all, NWG did bail on UW and go over to the dark side, in their view.

MDABE80
08-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Have you not read Anglos posts? The man is literally painting everyone from Seattle with the same brush, except the ones who went the GU. They're clearly not dumb little hoodlums like the rest of their peers.

And everyone wonders why they don't identify with us. It's comical

No he (Angelo) isn't. It's what most think if they're west of the mountains. It's not good to spend time recuiting people who are brainwashed. I don't have a problem with it. Performance tells.... we got that. They don't. Simple really. No worries...... Win in round 1. That's what we've seen for years when UW would play us. SO we do it again.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 05:05 PM
http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/8/6/9110851/husky-hoops-washington-and-gonzaga-set-to-face-off-in-the-bahamas

Troll them. Troll them with all your might

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 05:16 PM
No he (Angelo) isn't. It's what most think if they're west of the mountains. It's not good to spend time recuiting people who are brainwashed. I don't have a problem with it. Performance tells.... we got that. They don't. Simple really. No worries...... Win in round 1. That's what we've seen for years when UW would play us. SO we do it again.

This is so simple minded I'm not even sure how to respond

MDABE80
08-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Don't then. If one looks at the link you posted, it's quite obvious that UW's not learned much. They have a very skewed version of what happened. But if you read the blog responses, nothing new to see. Case is pretty much closed. Let's just go beat em again. Nothing succeeds like success......right?
Their well is poisoned. Guess who did that? Seems like anti GU in now ingrained in their culture. Williams=Goss , their leading scorer and MVP made his choices based on evidence.
SOrry to hear Branson Roy ( one of my favs ) allegedly made those comments. But, as they say, it is what it is. My question to you is "what are fighting over"? Not much as far as I can tell.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Don't then. If one looks at the link you posted, it's quite obvious that UW's not learned much. They have a very skewed version of what happened. But if you read the blog responses, nothing new to see. Case is pretty much closed. Let's just go beat em again. Nothing succeeds like success......right?
Their well is poisoned. Guess who did that? Seems like anti GU in now ingrained in their culture. Williams=Goss , their leading scorer and MVP made his choices based on evidence.
SOrry to hear Branson Roy ( one of my favs ) allegedly made those comments. But, as they say, it is what it is. My question to you is "what are fighting over"? Not much as far as I can tell.

I'm fighting over the self righteous attitude this fanbase has towards players from Western Washington. Instead of looking at these kids and thinking about the obvious pros to staying home and playing for your hometown school, or any other rational reason to go to UW, our fanbase just assumes they're stupid. To dumb to understand that Gonzaga is superior in every way. If only they were like there smart brethren like Bell or Gray. It would be one thing if it was kept in a basketball context but you have people like Angelo who want to lump people like Brandon Roy or Nate Robinson into the same group as guys like Lenoy Overton.

Thank freaking jeebus that Mark Few doesn't have this ignorant belief and continues to try and tap into this "poisoned" well. It's going to be fun to watch some of you flip one by one as we start to land players from Seattle.

MDABE80
08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
No...I think we try yearly to get kids from Seattle area. SOme come some don't. We try.....nothing self righteous at all. We like many. They don't come for many reasons. It's just that simple. I don't know of any bias against the kids no matter where they come from. GU takes kids from across the globe. We are selective though.........we like the good players. As it quite obvious , wherever they are, we try to recruit them. I don't quite think Angelo's got a bias against kids from W Washington...if he does, I haven't seen it. I may be simple minded, but I'm not quite understand why you might think so.
What exactly do you mean? We don't like kids from the other side of the mountains??? And why wouldn't we like home state kids? I've not seen a bias against any kid no matter where he comes from.

Zagdawg
08-06-2015, 06:54 PM
He's trying to create something out of nothing best to just use the ignore feature on this one---the racial implications etc are non-existent and he brings them up the majority of his posts.

gonzagafan62
08-06-2015, 06:59 PM
http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/8/6/9110851/husky-hoops-washington-and-gonzaga-set-to-face-off-in-the-bahamas

Troll them. Troll them with all your might

I'll troll them if they ever get good. Till then not worth my time. They've been so adamant about not playing us, it's not even worth talking to most Udub fans.

Go Zags! This year!

willandi
08-06-2015, 07:08 PM
I'll troll them if they ever get good. Till then not worth my time. They've been so adamant about not playing us, it's not even worth talking to most Udub fans.

Go Zags! This year!

If you go to the link, everything bad that has happened is Mark Few and GU's fault. The GU fans are the whiners, Mark Few is a primadona that has poisoned the waters, UW is the best! It isn't worth my time to try and explain, maybe bigfoot can talk to them!

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 07:28 PM
No...I think we try yearly to get kids from Seattle area. SOme come some don't. We try.....nothing self righteous at all. We like many. They don't come for many reasons. It's just that simple. I don't know of any bias against the kids no matter where they come from. GU takes kids from across the globe. We are selective though.........we like the good players. As it quite obvious , wherever they are, we try to recruit them. I don't quite think Angelo's got a bias against kids from W Washington...if he does, I haven't seen it. I may be simple minded, but I'm not quite understand why you might think so.
What exactly do you mean? We don't like kids from the other side of the mountains??? And why wouldn't we like home state kids? I've not seen a bias against any kid no matter where he comes from.

If you don't think Angelo hasn't shown some bias against kids from Western Washington then we don't have anything else to discuss. Have a good one man.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-06-2015, 07:29 PM
He's trying to create something out of nothing best to just use the ignore feature on this one---the racial implications etc are non-existent and he brings them up the majority of his posts.

Too bad I'm not even the one who brought this up. Don't let facts get in the way of your narrative

Zagdawg
08-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Not going to feed you....sorry ...moving on.

Angelo Roncalli
08-06-2015, 08:00 PM
If you don't think Angelo hasn't shown some bias against kids from Western Washington then we don't have anything else to discuss. Have a good one man.

If I am biased against Western Washington kids, why did I assist in hiring Erroll Knight to work at my firm (this was while he was still at Sealth, after he committed to UW)?

zagamatic
08-06-2015, 08:44 PM
There are good players in Seattle no doubt. Some want to play close to home, some don't. That's fine by me. Besides, I'd rather have the best kids from an area like Europe than a much more limited size market like Seattle.
Personally, I don't spend a millisecond longer in Seattle than I absolutely have to. I don't like that town, likely never will. But that's just a personal preference from a guy who grew up in a town of 500 people.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-07-2015, 06:16 AM

As if our team hasn't already terrorized them enough...

DixieZag
08-07-2015, 06:43 AM
I want to pull back well away from the ridiculous "bias against" by the fans and more to what is likely a huge part of the actual reason many from those schools go to the UW.

In support of Angelo's dead on analysis, may I even point out that the same situation would happen pretty well anywhere if there's a long history of people in your area going to the same school? Especially in the same town?

Some "bias" has crept into this conversation b/c it's predicated that there is something fundamentally different about these kids than what would happen anywhere. USC football comes to mind.

ProjectMKUltra5
08-07-2015, 08:28 AM
As if our team hasn't already terrorized them enough...

This is the best time to troll them. Watching them scramble about trying to talk about what Romar is going to do with all his young talent.

http://media.giphy.com/media/3i7zenReaUuI0/giphy.gif

LongIslandZagFan
08-07-2015, 08:35 AM
The draw of UW is summed up into one thing... PAC12. Local kids stay there because they are a) close to home and b)playing in the PAC12. Who cares if the coach can't coach his way out of a box.

23zagmd
08-07-2015, 08:51 AM
did this get lost in the morphing of this thread to Seattle bashing?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/washington-and-gonzaga-face-off-in-paradise/

jazzdelmar
08-07-2015, 09:24 AM
well, GZ was right yet again :)

hooter73
08-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Since their last game, Gonzaga has continued its West Coast Conference dominance while ascending to a national championship contender. The Zags finished 35-3 last season, losing 66-52 in the Elite Eight to eventual champion Duke.
Meanwhile, the Huskies have fallen on hard times. They’ve missed the NCAA tournament the past four seasons and bottomed out to a 16-15 finish last season.

This quote is all you need to pull up every time this conversation comes up imo. There is no arguing the facts, only the "close to home" which I think is bunk considering how most teams are made up of kids from other sides of the country... and in our case, the world.

The comments of that article are way fun to read too:cheers:

coolhandzag
08-07-2015, 10:31 AM
For a relative non-issue in the collegiate basketball world the UW men’s program sure can bring out the vitriol.

It’s my own opinion that the Don James era was so intoxicating that it transcended sporting programs and generational gaps.

Perkins limits turnovers, DS hits the glass and KW scores the Zags should roll……BIG.

I don’t know. Maybe I just haven’t throw a leg over a mt. bike in a couple weeks. I’ve been known to get a little weird under those arduous lifestyle conditions.

CDC84
08-07-2015, 11:11 AM
And some kids just want to stay home and play in front of friends and family. Doesn't matter how the local school is doing. USC has no issues landing LA area kids.

BobZag
08-07-2015, 12:56 PM

This statement doesn't just jump the shark, it jumps an entire pod of freakin' Orcas.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2015, 01:02 PM
This statement doesn't just jump the shark, it jumps an entire pod of freakin' Orcas.

Happy Days, Beezer.

kitzbuel
08-07-2015, 01:03 PM

While on a shark with a laserbeam on its head.

kitzbuel
08-07-2015, 01:05 PM
did this get lost in the morphing of this thread to Seattle bashing?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/washington-and-gonzaga-face-off-in-paradise/

The Seattle Times is so biased.

dan71w
08-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Accurate characterization which is why I've never favored the suggestion of having UW on our schedule as an annual "rivalry" game. No need to make recruiting in Puget Sound area any more difficult by letting locals here put pressure on recruits (or transfers) not to be "traitors" by selecting GU over UW. Let's leave WSU and Oregon to deal with that problem. Our rivalry is with nationally ranked teams (whoever they happen to be at the moment) and with our WCC opponents. Meanwhile, keep the BiS going, keep making the NCAA tourney, keep developing players, keep recruiting good character kids, keep graduation rate high, keep family feel, keep former players coming back to work out with the current players, keep the close relationship between players and student body going, etc. GU will not likely get a steady stream of top Puget Sound talent for reasons AR explained, but we will get a recruit or transfer from time-to-time as has been pointed out (I haven't tried to run the numbers but over the years, I'll bet GU has done about as well most programs not named UW in getting good players from W. Wash.). What's not to like?

loved this post well said. and agree.

Gonzdb8
08-08-2015, 12:22 PM
loved this post well said. and agree.

perhaps i'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like playing them regularly would make recruiting those kids any more difficult than it is already is. the locals already put a lot of pressure on those kids to not be traitors, why does scheduling an annual game ratchet that pressure up to the point that it could make a recruiting difference? seems like that pressure is inevitable and an annual game where we can point to victories/dominance in head to heads gives us another arrow in the quiver to try and win those battles when they occur.

Zag365
08-08-2015, 09:25 PM
perhaps i'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like playing them regularly would make recruiting those kids any more difficult than it is already is. the locals already put a lot of pressure on those kids to not be traitors, why does scheduling an annual game ratchet that pressure up to the point that it could make a recruiting difference? seems like that pressure is inevitable and an annual game where we can point to victories/dominance in head to heads gives us another arrow in the quiver to try and win those battles when they occur.

As I said, GU has done about as well as any program not name UW in recruiting high school players and transfers in the Puget Sound. I don't think we've hit our ceiling, but, for reasons cited by AR and others, I don't think there is a lot of room to improve.

We did pretty well against UW in the last eight or ten games, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Local loyalty, being able to play in front of family/friends, Pac-12, more community diversity, bigger city, more cool city (from a teenager perspective), etc. are built in obstacles that are hard for GU to overcome. I don't see that changing unless UW program were to fall apart, or not get to NCAA for a decade, or stop sending players to NBA.

I also question whether GU would "dominate" in an annual series. I suspect it will be more like the SMC, WSU, and BYU rivalry games. We would win the majority of the time, but it would be tough to "dominate."

Another downside to an annual rivalry game would be the unncessary and artificial pressure to, as you say, dominate. Close games or losses would be so worrisome that we'd have to gear up way too much for these games. UW is not a national name in MBB or a power school. The game might not even be on ESPN. We should save our precious few openings for major OCC opponents with RPIs that benefit us win or lose. I see a perennial UW game as a major distraction that we don't need, especially since it could have too much impact on how the team and we fans will measure our season.

Lastly, I don't want to alienate the potential fan base that is growing in Seattle now that we have the BiS, a radio station on the network, and reputation as a nice little program. Even some UW fans (of which there are a ton in Seattle) will occasionally follow us because we are from the State of Washington and, at least for now, we are Switzerland when it comes to their "enemies" list.

MDABE80
08-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Seattelits have turned the corner. FInally we have lots of support there.if for nothing else because we've done decently in the NCAA, high rankings and so on. This past season, lots were very enthused as we plowed our way into the Elite Eight. Diehard anti Zag fans really have nothing chirp about since UW simply has taken a nosedive while the Zags have excelled.
Performance always tells.
Bitter comments from the fans are borne of jealousy. Oh sure they pick on SPokanne, they pick of Few and they pick on anything that might matter. In the end though, we've done well and they've hit the skids.
ROmar's in under fire and finally is recognized as a seriously excellent recruiter but not much of a coach.
We do what we do and move on. We, as in this year occassionaly snag a very good player form there. WHile it seems to be a bit of salt in the wound, those kids come here because they want to win, see the tournament and so on. UW's not providing that. It' just business.....

Eventually it'll occur that all the promises fall flat. Kids transfer. If not here, they go elsewhere. Lots of talented kids have gone to the basketball graveyard over there. We just keep chuggin along without much fanfare from the Seattle side. The nation notices though. It works. God Bless Tommy!

Bogozags
08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Nycx[QUOTE=MDABE80;1128938]Seattelits have turned the corner. FInally we have lots of support there.if for nothing else because we've done decently in the NCAA, high rankings and so on. This past season, lots were very enthused as we plowed our way into the Elite Eight. Diehard anti Zag fans really have nothing chirp about since UW simply has taken a nosedive while the Zags have excelled.
Bitter comments from the fans are borne of jealousy. Oh sure they pick on SPokanne, they pick of Few and they pick on anything that might matter. In the end though, we've done well and they've hit the skids.
ROmar's in under fire and finally is recognized as a seriously excellent recruiter but not much of a coach.
We do what we do and move on. We, as in this year occassionaly snag a very good player form there. WHile it seems to be a bit of salt in the wound, those kids come here because they want to win, see the tournament and so on. UW's not providing that. It' just business.....

Eventually it'll occur that all the promises fall flat. Kids transfer. If not here, they go elsewhere. Lots of talented kids have gone to the basketball graveyard over there. We just keep chuggin along without much fanfare from the Seattle side. The nation notices though. It works. God Bless Tommy![/QUOTE

I believe X&O's are not the reason UW doesn't win more BUT IMO it is the type of recruit UW actually recruits! They have "higher ranked" recruits BUT they don't play as a "TEAM!" They have had more kids drafted then we have had BUT again we recruit a different kind of player, one that jells with the current "family" already playing at GU! UW just doesn't develop the "TEAM CONCEPTH FIRST" that each and every GU recruit must be willing to adopt...there is no "I" in team! That reason alone will be the FACTOR, that IF we win the B4A GU should be undefeated and MAYBE have one or two losses in WCC play.
UW just can't meet our high expectations, just because we always play as a TEAM! The GU family is one reason so many of its players come back each summer and play ball!

Mantua
08-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Nycx[QUOTE=MDABE80;1128938]Seattelits have turned the corner. FInally we have lots of support there.if for nothing else because we've done decently in the NCAA, high rankings and so on. This past season, lots were very enthused as we plowed our way into the Elite Eight. Diehard anti Zag fans really have nothing chirp about since UW simply has taken a nosedive while the Zags have excelled.

Eventually it'll occur that all the promises fall flat. Kids transfer. If not here, they go elsewhere. Lots of talented kids have gone to the basketball graveyard over there. We just keep chuggin along without much fanfare from the Seattle side. The nation notices though. It works. God Bless Tommy![/QUOTE

I believe X&O's are not the reason UW doesn't win more BUT IMO it is the type of recruit UW actually recruits! They have "higher ranked" recruits BUT they don't play as a "TEAM!" They have had more kids drafted then we have had BUT again we recruit a different kind of player, one that jells with the current "family" already playing at GU! UW just doesn't develop the "TEAM CONCEPTH FIRST" that each and every GU recruit must be willing to adopt...there is no "I" in team! That reason alone will be the FACTOR, that IF we win the B4A GU should be undefeated and MAYBE have one or two losses in WCC play.
UW just can't meet our high expectations, just because we always play as a TEAM! The GU family is one reason so many of its players come back each summer and play ball!

I would hesitate to place the burden of social dysfunction on the the backs of the players. It's tough for many students to feel a sense of connection in Seattle and the university. Big cities and big schools always have some problems with social alienation. The basketball program staff and the school need to change the culture from the top.

MDABE80
08-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Nobody does put anything on the backs of players. It's a bigger problem. It just it what it is. Sometimes there's no fault.
I agree that when kids are in front of their parents and playing for the "home
team and the "home"
coach, it's just easier. Perhaps that why we usully don't see lots of seattle payers. When you're 18 it's intimidating to leave the confort zone.
Our UW transfers did not grow up in the Seattle confines. Bell is an exception. Romar wanted him badly. BUT he saw the value here.

Brockman wanted to come to GU. He was talked out it by his parents and because his sis signed up at UW. He made it too the league but Jon is the one guy that would have gotten us back to the E8 much sooner....and maybe more. Dickua..............;)

Not that it matters much. We just keep playin em and someday somebody ( parents or kids) will notice who is the premier program in the region. Come November when all the little eyes are watching, ESPN will be sure to point out who's top dog. I just hope we win! ;)

Angelo Roncalli
08-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Our UW transfers did not grow up in the Seattle confines. Bell is an exception.

A couple of minor corrections...

Erroll Knight grew up near Sealth High School in the West Seattle/White Center area. Not far from where Brandon Roy grew up. Erroll went to his local SPS high school.

Gary Bell grew up in the Kent area.

DixieZag
08-13-2015, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Bogozags;1129485]Nycx

I would hesitate to place the burden of social dysfunction on the the backs of the players. It's tough for many students to feel a sense of connection in Seattle and the university. Big cities and big schools always have some problems with social alienation. The basketball program staff and the school need to change the culture from the top.

That's one of the best posts yet, in a lot of good ones.

People that know a lot more than me say that part of the reason that Romar is still there is he has a big contract that the UW doesn't want to just cut it off and start over. Again, they know more than me, but I have trouble fathoming how an Athletic Department that rich can have trouble just cutting its loses and trying again.

Others (same caveat, know more than me) say that the UW has never actually been a basketball power and being super-good is more the exception rather than the rule. To which, again, shake my head. Usually one can have enough money to essentially buy the position they want - maybe that's dumb (USC BB?) , but I can't understand why a school like that, with all it has going for it, can't win.

seacatfan
08-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Romar started at UW slightly earlier, but some of his better years there coincided with Ty Willingham totally cratering the football program. There were a whole bunch of disgusted football fans that suddenly found themselves rooting for the basketball team cuz everybody loves a winner, right? While they haven't gotten close to recapturing the Don James glory years, at least the football team hasn't been an embarrasment recently under Sarkisian and Peterson. With the bball slipping into mediocrity and the football at least going to some kind of bowl game, all of the fake bball fans have gone back to rooting for the sport they actually understand. I don't think the alumni/boosters are probably exerting a ton of pressure to get rid of Romar. I think his seat is a bit warm though. All of those freshmen better produce right away for him.

GoZags
08-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Nobody does put anything on the backs of players. It's a bigger problem. It just it what it is. Sometimes there's no fault.
I agree that when kids are in front of their parents and playing for the "home
team and the "home"
coach, it's just easier. Perhaps that why we usully don't see lots of seattle payers. When you're 18 it's intimidating to leave the confort zone.
Our UW transfers did not grow up in the Seattle confines. Bell is an exception. Romar wanted him badly. BUT he saw the value here.

Brockman wanted to come to GU. He was talked out it by his parents and because his sis signed up at UW. He made it too the league but Jon is the one guy that would have gotten us back to the E8 much sooner....and maybe more. Dickua..............;)

Not that it matters much. We just keep playin em and someday somebody ( parents or kids) will notice who is the premier program in the region. Come November when all the little eyes are watching, ESPN will be sure to point out who's top dog. I just hope we win! ;)

Jon enjoyed his UW days, and enjoys being a UW Alum. Here's a copy/paste from a UW "Insider's" post from last night .....

Jon Brockman one upped Will Conroy....
Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Conroy went to mid court to kiss the W when he got pulled from his final game. Jon Brockman one upped him this weekend.

Jon got married this weekend. He walked down the aisle to Bow Down to Washington. At the end of his vows, after he kissed the bride he chanted " Go Dawgs!"

How did his new wife respond?

" Go Dawgs!" of course

Jon heads out to play in Germany very soon. Gotta love Big Bad Jon

NotoriousZ
08-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Brockman was better suited for UW. They chucked up the bricks, he cleaned up the mess.

thespywhozaggedme
08-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Have the times been set yet? My oldest daughters 8th birthday is on the 24th and I'm trying to book the trip for the family but my wife is getting mad at me saying that I'll be away from the girls for too long and wants to know the game times before we shell out all of that money.

Coach Crazy
08-29-2015, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Mantua;1129530]

People that know a lot more than me say that part of the reason that Romar is still there is he has a big contract that the UW doesn't want to just cut it off and start over. Again, they know more than me, but I have trouble fathoming how an Athletic Department that rich can have trouble just cutting its loses and trying again.

Others (same caveat, know more than me) say that the UW has never actually been a basketball power and being super-good is more the exception rather than the rule. To which, again, shake my head. Usually one can have enough money to essentially buy the position they want - maybe that's dumb (USC BB?) , but I can't understand why a school like that, with all it has going for it, can't win.

First off, what you are hearing makes sense. Especially, considering this university. They *were* a football powerhouse at one point, and the fight back has been a knock-down-drag-out marathon of pain. Even changing out Sark for CP has been slower than some would like. Take into account the fact players are already leaving the program because of disarray, and you've got two really potent factors to not want to blow up it up, before it collapses.

They fire Romar, and I just don't see how they recover any time soon. But keeping him means you'll get some of these classes, some NBA talent at the next level, and possibly a tourney appearance, or two. Also, while there may very well never be a right time to fire Romar, with regard to GU success, firing him now would have meant that GU might have picked up a few of the talent that stayed away. Plus, with NWG being at GU, now, it could plant the seeds for another transfer period, if he happens to do better here.

They just don't have a lot of options. And they can't spend money like Coach Cal did. Just not gonna happen. The cheater's network is better in the South, than it is here. If Romar isn't successful this year, it will take a while for them to rebuild. Unless of course they are able to find a Shaka/Brad-type phenom.