PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2018 Prospect--Yupik from Gambell, Alaska

ZaGranny
07-30-2015, 04:30 PM
http://www.adn.com/article/20150730/gambell-basketball-player-chooses-between-hometown-team-and-seattle-offer

Gambell basketball player chooses between hometown team and Seattle offer
Laura Kraegel | KNOM
July 30, 2015
Share on emailEmailPrintText Size-A+A

Laura Kraegel
NOME -- NBA point guard Derrick Rose was first scouted at his local high school and eventually drafted by his hometown Chicago Bulls. Sixteen-year-old Wallace Ungwiluk is a big fan of Rose — and a point guard too. But basketball could carry the junior from Gambell much farther from home — more than 2,000 miles to Seattle, where he’s been recruited to play for a private high school.

This summer, Ungwiluk has a decision to make — stay home and try to win Gambell its first championship in 30 years or move to Seattle and potentially be seen by college scouts.

According to Alvin Aningayou, the coach of the Gambell boys basketball team, there’s nothing like a Gambell home game.

“It’s a raucous, rowdy, exciting, electrified environment,” he said. “When we win, you can feel the excitement and the buzz. And when we lose, you can feel their heart breaking just as our heart’s breaking. It’s just incredible.”

Aningayou said Wallace Ungwiluk has really gotten the crowd going in recent years.

He is the team’s captain, point guard and top scorer. As a sophomore last season, he averaged over 27 points per game — nearly double the production of Gambell’s second best scorer. And Aningayou said he’s just getting better.

“He’s special,” he said. “He started to shine, and he’s continually trying to get better. And that’s what we need — not having players settle.”

Ungwiluk was in Anchorage last summer for a basketball camp. He trained, worked on his game, and — for the first time — saw just how far basketball could take him.

“That was the first time I’ve really ever been coached or pushed that hard,” he said. “I went to that camp not thinking I’d get much exposure there, but I actually did and I was quite surprised. This is a big opportunity for me.”

That’s the opportunity to move to Seattle, attend a private school and play competitive ball. The offer comes from Seattle Lutheran High School, which had a solid postseason last year and is planning for a deep run in this season’s state tournament.

Much more at the link.

I would love to see Ungwiluk come to GU--maybe Tommy could take a trip to Gambell! Or other coaches to Seattle Lutheran if that is what he decides to do.

But I am torn--would love to see him stay at home and get his school the championship. Basketball is a big deal in the bush villages in Alaska.

Damian Ben-Holter is a Haida from Hydaburg who played against GU with Oral Roberts, has played in the D league and now in Europe, and has been doing camps in Alaskan and Canadian villages.

ZaGranny

webspinnre
07-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Other famous Alaskans include Trajan Langdon (from East Anchorage) and Carlos Boozer (from Juneau - go Crimson Bears!)

Zag 77
07-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Wallace said western Alaska is no hotbed for college recruitment, and he knows most scouts don’t make it to St. Lawrence Island.

Who is the opposition, Lower Slobbovia?

I think Tommy might have better luck in Europe.

ZaGranny
07-30-2015, 06:24 PM
The Bering Sea conference:

Team W L T Pct GB GP Division
Elim 20 2 0 .909 - 22 7-1-0
Teller 13 2 0 .867 3.5 15 11-1-0
Shishmaref 12 7 0 .632 6.5 19 8-6-0
Shaktoolik 13 11 0 .542 8.0 24 10-5-0
Koyuk 6 5 0 .545 8.5 11 3-3-0
Gambell 5 5 0 .500 9.0 10 4-4-0
Brevig Mission 5 5 0 .500 9.0 10 4-5-0
Diomede 0 0 0 .000 9.0 0 0-0-0
Wales 0 0 0 .000 9.0 0 0-0-0
Golovin 0 0 0 .000 9.0 0 0-0-0
Savoonga 0 4 0 .000 11.0 4 0-4-0
St. Michael 5 11 0 .313 12.0 16 3-7-0
White Mountain 3 10 0 .231 12.5 13 2-8-0
Stebbins 2 13 0 .133 14.5 15 0-8-0

As I said, basketball is a really big deal in the native villages. Heck, it was a really big deal when I grew up in Fairbanks in the 50's and 60's. It is the only sport for many of the villages.

And really, if Tommy were recruiting in Russia, flying back over the pole, Gambell would be on the way.

ZaGranny

ProjectMKUltra5
07-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Kameka Hepa is a 2018 prospect out of Barrow, Alaska that is on the Zags radar. Alaska isn't a total wasteland of talent, it puts out a decent amount of players.

thespywhozaggedme
07-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Think you read the quote wrong.

thespywhozaggedme
07-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Mario Chalmers is from Anchorage too.
Other famous Alaskans include Trajan Langdon (from East Anchorage) and Carlos Boozer (from Juneau - go Crimson Bears!)

webspinnre
07-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Mario Chalmers is from Anchorage too.

That's right I forgot about that.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-31-2015, 06:41 AM
Easy decision. Go to Seattle. His career and future are so much more important than winning a Small Schools championship in Alaska. I'm from Alaska and miss it dearly, but after growing up there and in WA, I think basketball is just as big (if not bigger) in WA and is 100x more competitive with 1000x the opportunities for quality experience. Yes, basketball is the biggest sport up there, but people there just have less interest in sports than most areas of the lower 48. Hockey isn't 1/10 as popular there as most people would think. He'd get better competition playing pickup at a YMCA on a Saturday morning in Seattle than he would in Small School ball in AK.

webspinnre
07-31-2015, 07:45 AM
I have a hard time imagining basketball being bigger than it is in Alaska. Basketball is THE thing in town in the winters for many of these towns, and even larger "cities" like Juneau, where I grew up, basketball is a bigger thing than football. Growing up homecoming was never a football thing, it was always a basketball thing.

hockeyzag
07-31-2015, 08:03 AM

Seriously, this is a nice story and all but doesn't belong on the Gonzaga Men's basketball board. These villages are so tiny they probably barely have enough players to play 5 on 5, much less fill out a roster. Finding the best player in what could honestly be considered probably the worst basketball conference in the entire country isn't exciting. The Bering Sea Conference, are you kidding me? This kid is not a prospect, he is not even close to being a prospect. Check out the top level athletes in this highlight vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IquxXrRddA

Good for him for getting out of there though, hope it works out.

gonzagafan62
07-31-2015, 08:12 AM
Easy from an outsiders perspective. Go to Seattle

TheGonzagaFactor
07-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Seriously, this is a nice story and all but doesn't belong on the Gonzaga Men's basketball board. These villages are so tiny they probably barely have enough players to play 5 on 5, much less fill out a roster. Finding the best player in what could honestly be considered probably the worst basketball conference in the entire country isn't exciting. The Bering Sea Conference, are you kidding me? This kid is not a prospect, he is not even close to being a prospect. Check out the top level athletes in this highlight vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IquxXrRddA

Yikes... at least wait until he gets a chance outside of that conference to bash him.

hockeyzag
07-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Yikes... at least wait until he gets a chance outside of that conference to bash him.

I'm not bashing, it's just reality. He's not a prospect. The kid doesn't shoot one jump shot in the entire highlight vid, not one. I know summer is a slow time for basketball news but come on.

That Hepa kid out of Barrow doesn't look half bad though.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-01-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm not bashing, it's just reality. He's not a prospect. The kid doesn't shoot one jump shot in the entire highlight vid, not one. I know summer is a slow time for basketball news but come on.

That Hepa kid out of Barrow doesn't look half bad though.

You're not a good poster, not even close to being a good poster.

Not bashing, just reality. ;)

ProjectMKUltra5
08-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Post more plz