PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis/Zags on Front Page of ESPN

007Zag
07-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Some love from Medcalf for Sabonis and the Zags on the front page (well, side bar of the front page) of ESPN this morning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108114/early-look-sizing-up-the-other-conferences

JokerZag
07-24-2015, 06:57 AM
My Biggest concern:

"Bell was Few’s most effective defender. In Bell’s four seasons (2011-15), Gonzaga never finished outside the top 40 in adjusted defensive efficiency and peaked at 15th in 2013-14. In the previous 10 seasons, Gonzaga cracked the top 40 only twice"

hooter73
07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Trending down
Kyle Collinsworth is the new leader of a BYU squad that lost Tyler Haws (22.2 PPG). The Cougars should be a problem for the bulk of the WCC, but they thrived off their offensive attack (12th in adjusted offensive efficiency) with Haws on the floor. A team that gets few stops (160th in adjusted defensive efficiency) lost one of America’s top scorers.

And thats the team that is projected to be number two in the conference. Great press WCC...

gonzagafan62
07-24-2015, 08:21 AM
And thats the team that is projected to be number two in the conference. Great press WCC...

Yeah true, but ESPN Turns a blind eye to Pepperdine, whom might really be #2 in the WCC and go to the tournament. Wouldn't shock me at all.

jchocolate99
07-24-2015, 10:02 AM
My Biggest concern:

"Bell was Few’s most effective defender. In Bell’s four seasons (2011-15), Gonzaga never finished outside the top 40 in adjusted defensive efficiency and peaked at 15th in 2013-14. In the previous 10 seasons, Gonzaga cracked the top 40 only twice"

I'm not concerned McClellen showed to be every bit as good as Bell if not better at times defending... Melson showed that he has the potential to be a great defender and was noted as a great defender even with his scoring in high school... Perkins showed good defensive abilities before he got hurt and already was a better defender than Pangos in his limited time... Draginis is already known for his defensive abilities as he would be the one to help Bell in defending the teams best offensive threat... add in Karno who has become a defensive force in the paint we should be even better defensively as a team this year... no need to fret or be concerned sir you're about to witness the most athletic team GU has ever put on court

Baseline
07-24-2015, 10:42 AM
All these articles seem to overlook Ryan Edwards, he is the X factor for this years team in my opinion. He will make the difference in several games this year. IMHO

hooter73
07-24-2015, 10:52 AM
All these articles seem to overlook Ryan Edwards, he is the X factor for this years team in my opinion. He will make the difference in several games this year. IMHO

ummm, no offence to Ryan, but if he is the stand out of our top three Front courts in the nation then we are in for a world of hurt.

Baseline
07-24-2015, 11:45 AM
ummm, no offence to Ryan, but if he is the stand out of our top three Front courts in the nation then we are in for a world of hurt.

I give us a better chance than you suggest. Time will tell.

Lewey
07-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Melson showed that he has the potential to be a great defender and was noted as a great defender even with his scoring in high school

I think the key word is potential. I focused on Melson a few times on the defensive end to see how he did. I think he has all the tools, but he didn't show to me last year that he has the 100% laser focused tenacity to fight through anything that Bell did. Of course not many do, but that's what he needs to be as good defensively as Bell.

gonzagafan62
07-24-2015, 12:10 PM
I think the key word is potential. I focused on Melson a few times on the defensive end to see how he did. I think he has all the tools, but he didn't show to me last year that he has the 100% laser focused tenacity to fight through anything that Bell did. Of course not many do, but that's what he needs to be as good defensively as Bell.

He also didn't play that many crucial minutes either. He did play crucial moments, sure but it "seemed" like he played against second stringers. This year will be totally different as a starter.

hooter73
07-24-2015, 01:05 PM
He also didn't play that many crucial minutes either. He did play crucial moments, sure but it "seemed" like he played against second stringers. This year will be totally different as a starter.

Oh no, now you've gone and done it! Let the "who starts" argument resume!

webspinnre
07-24-2015, 05:23 PM
I do wish Perks, EMac and KD would get a bit more love in these articles. I feel good about our backcourt.

Zagcity
07-24-2015, 08:31 PM
I do wish Perks, EMac and KD would get a bit more love in these articles. I feel good about our backcourt.

Yes more pub but that will come

gonzagafan62
07-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Oh no, now you've gone and done it! Let the "who starts" argument resume!

Either way he will be playing a lot more minutes. I'm not in full bball mode yet. Gotta get there. Always forget guys. :)

MTZag03
07-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm not concerned McClellen showed to be every bit as good as Bell if not better at times defending... Melson showed that he has the potential to be a great defender and was noted as a great defender even with his scoring in high school... Perkins showed good defensive abilities before he got hurt and already was a better defender than Pangos in his limited time... Draginis is already known for his defensive abilities as he would be the one to help Bell in defending the teams best offensive threat... add in Karno who has become a defensive force in the paint we should be even better defensively as a team this year... no need to fret or be concerned sir you're about to witness the most athletic team GU has ever put on court

I would also add that Bell had defensive help during that stretch with Mike Hart, KD, and even Stocks. Sometimes Bell was on an island, but he wasn't our only defender.

GrizZAG
07-25-2015, 04:17 PM

Correct me if I am wrong here Baseline, but I believe what you might have meant is that RE would be huge as a back up man for us in those games a big or two are in foul trouble. That has to be important and he might suprise as well.

Baseline
07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here Baseline, but I believe what you might have meant is that RE would be huge as a back up man for us in those games a big or two are in foul trouble. That has to be important and he might suprise as well.

Your exactly right, what I wrote was not worded the best. Thanks for your clarification.

zagamatic
07-25-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the guards will shine brightly on both ends of the floor this year because of the talent and experience of our bigs. If need be, you can have the ball run through Karnowski as kind of a point center once in a half court set. When Wiltjer is shooting well (which is often), all he needs is a rub screen to get a shot off. And Sabonis, well if thinks he can score, he's going to try and most likely succeed based on past performance. Edwards should prove to be a solid backup and add 5 more fouls to give in the event that our young guards gamble too much. And I guess that's really what the point of my post is, our guards will be able to rely on our bigs to cover their butts a little more than usual. Thus making them more confident.