PDA

View Full Version : Best of every direction?

kreese555
07-23-2015, 01:32 AM
I'm bored, I'll start.

Northwest: Kanye, I mean Gonzaga. No other team in the NW really has a chance to knock off this juggernaut, and it's a shame UW won't play them til next year.

Southwest: Cal, think they'll have a nice run and everyone else will be down. Really nice class coming in, and AZ and UCLA have been better.

Northmid: Kansas, if that counts. If it doesn't, Michigan and Wisconsin have to prove they're better than Tom Izzo and his Spartans.

Southmid: I love SMU, but I think I have to take Oklahoma, especially if Payton Pritchard recommits. Regardless, Oklahoma is too strong even if Kansas doesn't qualify as a North Mid.

Northeast: Another questionable decision, someone needs to redraw the lines like district 5 hockey. I'm not sure, but Melo Trimble might be playing for Gordon Bombay and the Ducks (and so is Adam Banks). In that case, if Maryland is in the NE, I'll take them in that region.

Southeast: Toughest decision of the post is now, as you're looking at a choice between The defending champs in Duke, the incomparable UK Wildcats, and UNC who may have the best recruiting class of them all. Call me crazy, I'll take UNC. I just think they're more talented and more experienced.

We've got months to cover, how bout some feedback?

gonzagafan62
07-23-2015, 04:38 AM
I'll agree on everything but UNC. I just don't think they're THAT good. They'll be good (Top 25) but not #1 like many media polls or even top 10 IMO

Bogozags
07-23-2015, 05:49 AM
In the NW, I think there are three teams, of course GU stands out but there is Boise State and Utah. If GU wins the Battle for Atlantis, then think they will be undefeated before conference play begins
in the West I think Cal and Stanford will have decent teams. SDSU will have to find some offence to go along with their stingy defence. AZ is always tough and will be there at the end too!
In the Mid-West, ISU and MSU will will be the two best teams...WSU is another team that will be tough.
In the Southwest OU will be a strong team (OU picked up another PG just the other day so it is unlikely PP re-commits) this year and SMU will be decent again, also think this will be our toughest Road OCC game. UT with Smart will be an unknown and could well be formidable too!
In the South, UK will once again dominate the SEC.
In the Mid-Atlantic, UM, Duke, UNC and UVA will be the teams to beat...I think Duke wins the ACC and UM wins the B10.
In the Northeast, "...round up the usual suspects..." it will be a toss up...UConn will return to the tournament. Don't think SU will be a factor again this year...lower tier in ACC

tyra
07-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Zags could very well play UW this year at Battle for Atlantis.

GoZags
07-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Zags could very well play UW this year at Battle for Atlantis.

Book it.

seacatfan
07-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Utah in the NW...really? Uh, I better look at a map, that seems like a HUGE stretch to me.

Stanford is gonna be way down, they lost their 3 best players from last year.

I don't think UNC even has a recruiting class coming in. What they have is a bunch of returning players, they didn't get hit hard by early entrants to the NBA draft like almost every other top team did (Zags managed to avoid that as well, although they did lose 3 Sr./starters).

To go out on a bit of a limb here, Oregon might be the next best team in the NW after Gonzaga. Somehow Altman reloads with a bunch of transfers every year plus a highly touted freshman or two and they keep exceeding expectations. Oregon St. might surprise this year also.

hooter73
07-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Oregon state will take a year but they'll be a player, more so than Boise St. for sure with no offense to Boise or the staff. Arizona is always capable but I do feel like Cal and/or UCLA... but probably Cal, is due to be the big name again this year. Izzo might state slow again this year but he can get a team turned around in short order, they're usually my pick in that region. UNC hasn't been much for a few years now, kinda paper tiger-y. Dont know if they can climb back up the ladder this year or if it will take one more. Duke was a one to two man show last year, it was obviously enough, but not on my radar.

seacatfan
07-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Pac 12 looks kinda wide open this year. Arizona lost a lot from last year, might be a bit under the radar but they have both more experience (2 5th year Sr. transfers, 2 other Sr. that have been part of the rotation for years) and more talent than probably many are giving them credit for. UCLA might be worse than last year when they were fairly mediocre. Cal has 3 good wing players returning plus 2 hugely hyped freshmen--definitely have talent, will see how it gels. Utah returns most of last year's really solid team, but Delon Wright was a huge loss. As mentioned Oregon should be competitive. Stanford, OSU, ASU, Colorado...who knows. UW has ONE returning player of any note from last year, they will be really dependent on their recruiting class. It's highly regarded, but I keep thinking it's more about volume than true difference makers. WSU should be AWFUL next year. USC should show some signs of improvement from last year, maybe enough to move towards the middle of the pack?

maynard g krebs
07-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Oregon might be the next best team in the NW after Gonzaga.

Good call.

Bogozags
07-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Utah in the NW...really? Uh, I better look at a map, that seems like a HUGE stretch to me.

Stanford is gonna be way down, they lost their 3 best players from last year.

I don't think UNC even has a recruiting class coming in. What they have is a bunch of returning players, they didn't get hit hard by early entrants to the NBA draft like almost every other top team did (Zags managed to avoid that as well, although they did lose 3 Sr./starters).

To go out on a bit of a limb here, Oregon might be the next best team in the NW after Gonzaga. Somehow Altman reloads with a bunch of transfers every year plus a highly touted freshman or two and they keep exceeding expectations. Oregon St. might surprise this year also.

Well, Utah is maybe in the West but it does touch Idaho...that should count for something! Maybe we should have another region - The Rockies' Region...will that work for you? :D

seacatfan
07-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah, Rockies, or Intermountain West, or Southwest. With teams like UNLV and New Mexico being down lately, there really isn't much in this region to bother with (sorry BYU fans...)

MDABE80
07-23-2015, 03:46 PM
I think it could be outrageously funny if we won that tournament. ......won all 3 games and went home with a trophy....Why?? ALL on national TV.
Our ranking would immediately ascend. And we'd begin the UW series with A WIN TO BEGIN IT. I do think we can.

GrizZAG
07-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Northwest defined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_United_States

Inland Nortwest defined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northwest_(United_States)

I couldn't find Utah as belonging to any region defined. Not plains, not SW. ??? Maybe the Utah War with the United States in 1857 was never settled :clap:

zagamatic
07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
I've heard rumors that if some people in Utah get their way, that Utah will no longer be part of the United States. Yes, this is a rumor and only a rumor that I've heard. So perhaps all this discussion about how to classify Utah is a moot point? This is purely a just for fun post, not a tinfoil hat post.

ZagaZags
07-26-2015, 10:13 PM
I've heard rumors that if some people in Utah get their way, that Utah will no longer be part of the United States. Yes, this is a rumor and only a rumor that I've heard. So perhaps all this discussion about how to classify Utah is a moot point? This is purely a just for fun post, not a tinfoil hat post.

More tinfoil.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/29/jade-helm-15-a-military-simulation-draws-scrutiny-and-wild-speculation-in-texas/

ZionZag
07-27-2015, 05:04 AM

Jesse will be an international recruit.......