PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tweaks First Four rule in NCAA tournament selection process

CDC84
07-21-2015, 03:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13288851/ncaa-tweaks-first-four-rule-ncaa-tournament-selection-process

Under the old rules, the last four at-large teams voted into the field were automatically slotted into the First Four. The last four No. 16 seeds are also slotted for the First Four, and that won't change.

Last March, the last four at-large teams were Dayton, Boise State, BYU and Ole Miss. UCLA and Texas, two teams which were late at-large adds but not the last ones, weren't compared to those teams. Now they can be.

The men's basketball selection committee can now take teams who were already voted into the field and compare them against the last four. That means the selection committee could have compared Ole Miss [the highest-ranked team among the last four] with UCLA and decided the Rebels were more deserving of a regular spot in the field and avoid the First Four.

The committee also tweaked the ruling on where a No. 2 seed can be placed. Prior to selections, there was a potential backlash brewing against the committee if it had placed Wisconsin as a No. 2 in the region with top No. 1 Kentucky -- solely based on geographic proximity to Midwest site Cleveland -- even if the Badgers were the top No. 2.

jake
07-21-2015, 05:22 PM
I guess I don't understand why the committee would put a team safely in the field in the First Four games? The article and a clip with Andy Katz talk about UCLA being questionable last year, but it seems to me they were more questioned by others outside of the committee. To boil my question down more simply, if the committee ranks an at-large team as something better than one of the last four in, what would lead them to compare that team to a team they rank lower (one of the last 4) and suddenly switch who plays in the First Four? Unless we're talking about Dayton again, I don't see how this means anything, but I also could be way off base in the way I'm looking at it.

NotoriousZ
07-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Speaking of Dayton, was there no mention of them having a home game in the last four grouping? That should never happen.

DixieZag
07-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Thank you for posting CDC. Good to review.

I will never understand the reasoning for the "First Four." I guess it's not that big a deal, but BSU versus Dayton in Dayton was an abomination.

Does anyone know when (or if already done) when the game rule changes are coming out?

Is this the year they moved the shot clock to 30 seconds?

willandi
07-22-2015, 07:46 AM
The problem with the expansion to the last 4, or whatever they call it, is if it is a slot that Dayton deserved because of the season and conference tourney, they either get left out, moved up (at another teams expense) or get a home game. Just do away with those games...they are an abomination.