PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Pan Am Games Thread

Zags_Fanatic
07-21-2015, 09:37 AM
With Few coaching, Witljer playing for Canada and JP Batista on the Brazilian squad, it seems like the Pan Am games are worth some attention in the middle of summer doldrums.

Batista had 6 points and 11 rebounds in just 16 minutes today as Brazil CRUSHED Rick Pitino's Puerto Rico squad. Crushed as in it was 60-17 at the half before Brazil eased off and PR remembered how to shoot the basketball.

sittingon50
07-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks Fanatic.

kitzbuel
07-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Former Zag vs. former Lion

https://www.usatodaysportsimages.com/preview/8710227

Mojo13
07-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Supposedly the game is being streamed on ESPN 3.
anyone access it?
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/type/upcoming/startDate/20150721/#type/upcoming/

ZagNative
07-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Yes, I'm watching it now.

ZagNative
07-21-2015, 02:33 PM
End of the first, Canada leads 23-21. Kyle not in the game yet.

Mojo13
07-21-2015, 02:58 PM
End of the first, Canada leads 23-21. Kyle not in the game yet.

Wiltjer may be the odd man out here. I thought he'd get some run, but he is the only player not to see minutes in the 1st half.
Looks like Nicholson and Bennett will chew up most front court minutes, but Ejim and Brooks who are hybrid 3/4s are getting run. And even Bhullar seemed to get few minutes, but Canada is playing much better with Bhullar on the bench.

Brady Heslip making it rain...18pts in 13 first half minutes.

EDIT: Any news on whether Kyle is hurt? I can't live in a world where Aaron Doornekamp is better than Kyle Wiltjer.
EDIT Part II: Kyle played 38 seconds at the end of the game, so I guess he is not hurt. Looks like he really may be the odd man out.

Radbooks
07-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Here's a link to the Pan AM Games basketball games website with the schedules and stats, etc.

Basketball - Event Overview - Men (http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/basketball/event-overview-men.htm)

Zagdawg
07-21-2015, 04:42 PM
38 seconds.....may be a waste of training time for him (especially as he heads into his senior year).

Mantua
07-21-2015, 05:06 PM
ESPN is showing the U.S. Game now on Comcast.

Few faces Pitino next.

Kong-Kool-Aid
07-21-2015, 07:28 PM
38 seconds.....may be a waste of training time for him (especially as he heads into his senior year).

You think that he's going and running to get doughnuts during practice? He's playing against and with players who are better than he's going to see at Gonzaga, even if it's in practice mostly.

Hoopaholic
07-21-2015, 08:03 PM
the first half of the usa game reminded me of why I truly dislike NBA etc basketball.....was very very painful to watch....and what is it with 30-35 year olds on the team.......

second half was little better basketball with some defensive effort but the offense was still painful

Zagdawg
07-21-2015, 08:25 PM
I would look at it more as the pride of being a representative of Canada in the games.

They play competitively everyday for the next 5 days ..... they will have walkthroughs ...but not sure how many full blown practices they will be running on game day ....especially with 5 games in a row.

I'm thinking he will get to see some more time on the floor in the future.....he could be the secret weapon being held in reserve.

Marcus
07-21-2015, 08:25 PM
You think that he's going and running to get doughnuts during practice? He's playing against and with players who are better than he's going to see at Gonzaga, even if it's in practice mostly.

I agree with the practice being good for him. He is matching up with two NBA power forwards in Bennett and Nicholson and another Pro in Ejim who is a big athletic body. Guarding those guys will only help his game. We all know he can score but having to play D against those guys is great for him.

As far as playing time goes, I think he'll see more action next game. It works against him that the players he's fighting for playing time with are the only NBA guys on the team but I think he is definitely better than Doornekamp. I just think Doornekamp got the nod because he's the senior guy. I hope that's the case anyways because I really want to see Wiltjer play. I think we will know if he really is the odd man out after tomorrow.

Zagdawg
07-21-2015, 08:26 PM
I would look at it more as the pride of being a representative of Canada in the games.

They play competitively everyday for the next 5 days ..... they will have walkthroughs ...but not sure how many full blown practices they will be running on game day ....especially with 5 games in a row.

I'm thinking he will get to see some more time on the floor in the future.....he could be the secret weapon being held in reserve.

DixieZag
07-21-2015, 08:40 PM
I have trouble envisioning a team that doesn't use Wiltjer for a couple minutes each half to come in and bury a couple of threes.

OZZY
07-21-2015, 09:19 PM
IMO Kyle will get plenty of action before the end of the Pan Ams.

The coach will spread the workload around and most players will get a good shot at playing time.

Only 4-5 of the players playing on this team will make the FIBA Americas Team, for some this is an audition.....

Don't anyone knock Doornekamp, he is a very good player. Aaron has played for the Canadian team for a almost a decade now and knows the system inside and out. He is the definition of "glue guy" and has played in the German Bundesliga for many years.

Mojo13
07-21-2015, 10:01 PM

The coach will spread the workload around and most players will get a good shot at playing time.

Only 4-5 of the players playing on this team will make the FIBA Americas Team, for some this is an audition.....

Don't anyone knock Doornekamp, he is a very good player. Aaron has played for the Canadian team for a almost a decade now and knows the system inside and out. He is the definition of "glue guy" and has played in the German Bundesliga for many years.

Doornekamp is awful. Don't kid yourself. He scores 6 points a game on an average team in what is not even a top 10 league in the world. He is a symbol of how bad the Canadian men's team has been for the last decade. He needs to be gone and wiped from our collective memories. There is no reason he should be getting minutes over Kyle, this is a developmental team.

I think you are correct in your other comments.

CanadianZagFan
07-22-2015, 03:05 AM
Doornekamp is awful. Don't kid yourself. He scores 6 points a game on an average team in what is not even a top 10 league in the world. He is a symbol of how bad the Canadian men's team has been for the last decade. He needs to be gone and wiped from our collective memories. There is no reason he should be getting minutes over Kyle, this is a developmental team.

I think you are correct in your other comments.

I would be hard pressed to call him awful. He is not prettiest player, but he is hard nosed and far more physical than Kyle will ever be. Doornekamp is not on the floor to score lots of points, he is there to play with a chip on his shoulder and bring a level of toughness to the team. Between Kyle and Aaron, who do you think would be the first guy diving for a loose ball or coming to a teammates aid during a confrontation? He has value. Kyle would be my pick between the two if I needed to get offense from one of them or needed a floor spacer or a last second 3 ball, but if I need a defensive stop, I choose Aaron.

Mojo13
07-22-2015, 08:24 AM
I would be hard pressed to call him awful. He is not prettiest player, but he is hard nosed and far more physical than Kyle will ever be. Doornekamp is not on the floor to score lots of points, he is there to play with a chip on his shoulder and bring a level of toughness to the team. Between Kyle and Aaron, who do you think would be the first guy diving for a loose ball or coming to a teammates aid during a confrontation? He has value. Kyle would be my pick between the two if I needed to get offense from one of them or needed a floor spacer or a last second 3 ball, but if I need a defensive stop, I choose Aaron.

I see your points and I appreciate "glue guys" as much as the next message board poster, as I too, am an unathletic, white guy with no relative skill besides "hustle". He is indeed an elevated Mike Hart of Canadian Basketball. As much as that is of a compliment to Aaron it is a critique of Team Canada bball that we are this weak at the three. I was hoping for Melvin Ejim to take that role but he still seems more 4-like. Doornekamp may even be the back-up 3 at the FIBA Americas as I don't see a viable replacement. Kris Joseph is MIA, Dillon Brooks is too young an out of control, Jevohn Sheppard isn't much better - and Wiltjer can't defend the 3 (or 4 or 5) at this level yet. Here is to Andrew Wiggins playing 40 minute a game!

thespywhozaggedme
07-22-2015, 08:32 AM

No, no he's not. He has zero business being on that roster. If by "glue guy" you mean slow, unathletic white guy that does absolutely nothing well, then you're correct.

johno
07-22-2015, 09:19 AM
US beats Venezuela:

http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/basketball/results-men-a-02.htm

Mojo13
07-22-2015, 07:57 PM
DNP for Wiltjer in game two versus Argentina. Bennett and Nicholson playing really well for Canada so likely not enough minutes to go around.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-23-2015, 04:36 PM
I've watched about half of each of the U.S. games thus far and keep thinking:
1) What a growth spurt experience for Coach Few working with a mixed group of veteran professionals and college players in FIBA rules tournament. His rep is blowing up, players seem to be locked in and attentive during timeouts. Could Olympic head coaching duties be on the horizon for Coach Few!?
2) Mike Brown, NBA veteran coach and Few's assistant, annoys me. Irrational misinterpretation of body language? Maybe. But he annoys me nonetheless. Another growth spur challenge/opportunity for Coach Few to be leading a staff with veteran NBA coaches.
3) * Big game tonight vs Brazil and JP Batista. Toughest opponent for US to date.

basketballzag
07-23-2015, 04:50 PM
I've watched about half of each of the U.S. games thus far and keep thinking:
1) What a growth spurt experience for Coach Few working with a mixed group of veteran professionals and college players in FIBA rules tournament. His rep is blowing up, players seem to be locked in and attentive during timeouts. Could Olympic head coaching duties be on the horizon for Coach Few!?
2) Mike Brown, NBA veteran coach and Few's assistant, annoys me. Irrational misinterpretation of body language? Maybe. But he annoys me nonetheless. Another growth spur challenge/opportunity for Coach Few to be leading a staff with veteran NBA coaches.
3) * Big game tonight vs Brazil and JP Batista. Toughest opponent for US to date.

Is Angel Nunez playing for Puerto Rico this year? I suspect he isn't because the score was so lopsided when PR played Brazil.

Zagdawg
07-23-2015, 05:15 PM
US vs Brazil on ESPN2 now.

Zagdawg
07-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Canada with a 20 point win over Mexico ---Wiltjer gets 4:20 and ends up with 2 boards and a steal (doesn't take a shot).

Section 116
07-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Brazil over USA 93-83; USA vs Canada tomorrow!

Mojo13
07-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Is Angel Nunez playing for Puerto Rico this year? I suspect he isn't because the score was so lopsided when PR played Brazil.

That is a laugher. I highly doubt Nunez would even make this PR "B" team let alone matter in the results.

MDABE80
07-23-2015, 10:28 PM
US hasn't done much in the PanAm basketball games since 1983. JP looked good for Brazil tonight. So there's that.

convertedZagfan
07-24-2015, 12:12 AM
That is a laugher. I highly doubt Nunez would even make this PR "B" team let alone matter in the results.

and him being from the Dominican Republic.

MDABE80
07-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

hooter73
07-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Canada with a 20 point win over Mexico ---Wiltjer gets 4:20 and ends up with 2 boards and a steal (doesn't take a shot).

I get that hes practicing against better competition and maybe he's trying to concentrate on rebounding (which he does need to do) but really, is this what a guy who should be in the conversation for National Player of the Year be doing? Grabbing scrub minutes without attempting a shot? Just seems weird is all.

IowaSERE
07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
I get that hes practicing against better competition and maybe he's trying to concentrate on rebounding (which he does need to do) but really, is this what a guy who should be in the conversation for National Player of the Year be doing? Grabbing scrub minutes without attempting a shot? Just seems weird is all.

Hopefully we never see KW and 420 mentioned in the same sentence again!

Mojo13
07-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Hopefully we never see KW and 420 mentioned in the same sentence again!
A few things going on. Some rumors that Kyle is a little dinged up and he is in minutes crunch at Canada's best position. Nicholson, Bennett and Ejim are all better than Kyle right now. Period.

Kyle will be important for Canada going forward and he is earning his stripes. Being there, playing a role, happily participating are all earning him standing with the coaches and GM (Nash).

SLOZag
07-24-2015, 08:46 AM
I found some video of our loss to Brazil:

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/A2D69AEF321229872114581331968_1d319a36fc3.3.2.mp4? versionId=lSFV7ej1cXcqg35dFnNiELfdqm.hbbZ0

Section 116
07-24-2015, 03:14 PM
USA-Canada on ESPN2 now if you are interested!

ProjectMKUltra5
07-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Jamal Murray has NBA all star written all over him. Boy is damn monster

OZZY
07-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Jamal Murray has NBA all star written all over him. Boy is damn monster

And the kid hasn't even played a minute of D1 ball yet!

OZZY
07-24-2015, 04:14 PM
I think KP might struggle to make the FIBA's team if Murray plays this well.............

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-25-2015, 04:03 AM
I think KP might struggle to make the FIBA's team if Murray plays this well.............

Yeah, that's what I was thinking last night too as I watched the 18 year old Jamaal Murray score 22 points in 4th quarter and OT to lead Canada to the victory. Kid made huge shots down the stretch and some of his dishes to their PF, Anthony Bennett, were really sweet too. I'd say this kid has the starting PG spot for team Canada pretty much locked in assuming he doesn't digress under Coach Calipari next year.

Wow, Canada is definitely making huge strides with their basketball program. Off the top of my head, here's a potential Olympic starting lineup:
1) PG Jamaal Murray
2) SG Cory Joseph
3) SF Andrew Wiggins
4) PF Tristan Thompson (PF Anthony Bennett)
5) C Kelly Olynyk

It will be interesting to see what happens here and who plays for Canada when Olympic qualifying starts:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/jamal-murray-doesn-t-look-out-of-place-in-senior-men-s-basketball-team-debut-012314389-nba.html;_ylt=A0LEV7oPerNV1RYAW78nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMT ByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--
"In September the Canadian team will head to the FIBA Americas tournament in Mexico City which will be its first chance at qualifying for the 2016 Olympics."

U.S. is not playing in FIBA Americas tournament as they have already qualified for the Olympics : https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-mens-basketball-gold-pan-am-games-ot-002201846--nba.html
"The U.S., which has already qualified for Rio in 2016 by virtue of winning the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, is skipping the Mexico City competition. The U.S. World Cup-winning team was an all-NBA squad featuring the likes of Stephen Curry, Derek Rose, James Harden and Toronto's DeMar DeRozan."

Bogozags
07-25-2015, 04:33 AM
A few observations from Pan Am Basketball...

1. This tournament allowed more physical contact than I ever experienced in any sandlot basketball game...
2. The officiating stunk but it was equal both ways...
3. I assume 3 Seconds isn't called in FIBA or at least someone forgot to tell Coach Few
4. The US Squad played extremely well for only being together for 3-4 weeks...while is seemed that Brasil has been playing together for years! Boy can they shoot!
5. There is a reason Bobby Brown plays in China...he is a poor excuse for a point guard AND how many Tech/Flag fouls did he receive...I believe if Coach Few had another experienced PG on the squad, Brown wouldn't have played as much.
6. Baker and Prince are "horses" and will be extremely tough this season and will be successful in the NBA.
7. With Murray breaking out this tournament, i am also thinking Pangos will not be starting for Canada at PG. That kid is for real BUT he will have to learn how to dribble/go to his right or he will struggle.

Question: Why was Canada allowed to play with NBA players and the US couldn't???

stretch
07-25-2015, 05:32 AM
A few observations from Pan Am Basketball...

1. This tournament allowed more physical contact than I ever experienced in any sandlot basketball game...
2. The officiating stunk but it was equal both ways...
3. I assume 3 Seconds isn't called in FIBA or at least someone forgot to tell Coach Few
4. The US Squad played extremely well for only being together for 3-4 weeks...while is seemed that Brasil has been playing together for years! Boy can they shoot!
5. There is a reason Bobby Brown plays in China...he is a poor excuse for a point guard AND how many Tech/Flag fouls did he receive...I believe if Coach Few had another experienced PG on the squad, Brown wouldn't have played as much.
6. Baker and Prince are "horses" and will be extremely tough this season and will be successful in the NBA.
7. With Murray breaking out this tournament, i am also thinking Pangos will not be starting for Canada at PG. That kid is for real BUT he will have to learn how to dribble/go to his right or he will struggle.

Question: Why was Canada allowed to play with NBA players and the US couldn't???

The Pan Am tournament is open to professionals including NBA players. Ryan Hollins played for the Kings last season.

Pangos is in the mix to play for Canada at FIBAs. If Corey Joseph plays, he will likely be the starter.

Mojo13
07-25-2015, 05:55 AM
The Pan Am tournament is open to professionals including NBA players. Ryan Hollins played for the Kings last season.

Pangos is in the mix to play for Canada at FIBAs. If Corey Joseph plays, he will likely be the starter.

The PanAms is not a super serious tournie. Canada fielded a little better team than most because they are the host country. The U.S. hasn't won the PanAms in like 30 years because they don't send anywhere near the best players.
Most counties are keeping their better players in reserve for the fiba Americas in September. The Olympic qualifying tournament.

Pangos is not a real threat to start for Canada unless something unforeseen happens. as he is at least 4th or 5th on the Canada PG depth chart.

Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennnis would be the to two. Then you throw Oliver Hanlan, Jermaine Anderson, Jamal Murray, Junior Cadougan and Kevin Pangos into the mix.
Ennis is hurt, and Murray will likly be in class at UK so Pangos could still slide in there as a backup for the Fiba Americas team. Cory Joseph would certainly start in any case, he has shown to be one of Canada's best players in fiba ball over the last couple years.

Bogozags
07-25-2015, 08:38 AM

I asked the above question, because one of the ESPN announcers stated NBA players were excluded from the US team. Ryan Hollins is listed as a free agent so isn't "attached" to any NBA team at this time.

Marcus
07-25-2015, 09:46 AM

I asked the above question, because one of the ESPN announcers stated NBA players were excluded from the US team. Ryan Hollins is listed as a free agent so isn't "attached" to any NBA team at this time.

That decision would have been made by USA Basketball not by FIBA or Pan Am Games or anyone else. It is open for NBA guys it's just up to the country to send whatever version of a national team they want.

Bogozags
07-25-2015, 11:32 AM
That decision would have been made by USA Basketball not by FIBA or Pan Am Games or anyone else. It is open for NBA guys it's just up to the country to send whatever version of a national team they want.

I kinda figured that but wasn't sure...I would like to see how a "real" USA team would control the Brazilians...

exclusivelee
07-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Gotta love seeing this trio together:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/27/633820c42d08349bdc2ec95627ccb1b4.jpg
JP Batista @jpbatista13
Gonzaga sweep. Zags got gold, silver and bronze in the Pan Am games 2015. Huge pleasure to share the podium with this two winners. Kyle has a bright future ahead of him. Seeing coach Few brings back so many good memories. Thank you coach!!! For everything you, your family and the Gonzaga program did for me. "Special place with special people"

sittingon50
07-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Great shot.

webspinnre
07-27-2015, 09:48 AM
"Zag sweep" - I love it!

RenoZag
07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Grantland dishes up some snark on the Pan Am Games:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pan-am-games-usa-basketball/

jazzdelmar
07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Grantland writers feel compelled to include a Mad Men entre nous reference in nearly every article, as if that adds cachet to their otherwise juvenile writing.