• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zags_Fanatic
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2012

2015 Pan Am Games Thread

With Few coaching, Witljer playing for Canada and JP Batista on the Brazilian squad, it seems like the Pan Am games are worth some attention in the middle of summer doldrums.

Batista had 6 points and 11 rebounds in just 16 minutes today as Brazil CRUSHED Rick Pitino's Puerto Rico squad. Crushed as in it was 60-17 at the half before Brazil eased off and PR remembered how to shoot the basketball.
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Thanks Fanatic.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• kitzbuel
      • Feb 2007

Former Zag vs. former Lion

Last edited by kitzbuel; 07-21-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: USA Today apparently doesn't allow image linking
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Mojo13
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Nov 2012

Supposedly the game is being streamed on ESPN 3.
        anyone access it?

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Yes, I'm watching it now.

Comment

• ZagNative
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

End of the first, Canada leads 23-21. Kyle not in the game yet.

Comment

• Mojo13
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
              End of the first, Canada leads 23-21. Kyle not in the game yet.
              Wiltjer may be the odd man out here. I thought he'd get some run, but he is the only player not to see minutes in the 1st half.
              Looks like Nicholson and Bennett will chew up most front court minutes, but Ejim and Brooks who are hybrid 3/4s are getting run. And even Bhullar seemed to get few minutes, but Canada is playing much better with Bhullar on the bench.

Brady Heslip making it rain...18pts in 13 first half minutes.

EDIT: Any news on whether Kyle is hurt? I can't live in a world where Aaron Doornekamp is better than Kyle Wiltjer.
              EDIT Part II: Kyle played 38 seconds at the end of the game, so I guess he is not hurt. Looks like he really may be the odd man out.
              Last edited by Mojo13; 07-21-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Radbooks
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2007

Here's a link to the Pan AM Games basketball games website with the schedules and stats, etc.

Basketball - Event Overview - Men
                “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• Zagdawg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

38 seconds.....may be a waste of training time for him (especially as he heads into his senior year).

Comment

• Mantua
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

ESPN is showing the U.S. Game now on Comcast.

Few faces Pitino next.
                    Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                      38 seconds.....may be a waste of training time for him (especially as he heads into his senior year).

You think that he's going and running to get doughnuts during practice? He's playing against and with players who are better than he's going to see at Gonzaga, even if it's in practice mostly.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                        • Mar 2008

the first half of the usa game reminded me of why I truly dislike NBA etc basketball.....was very very painful to watch....and what is it with 30-35 year olds on the team.......

second half was little better basketball with some defensive effort but the offense was still painful
                        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Zagdawg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I would look at it more as the pride of being a representative of Canada in the games.

They play competitively everyday for the next 5 days ..... they will have walkthroughs ...but not sure how many full blown practices they will be running on game day ....especially with 5 games in a row.

I'm thinking he will get to see some more time on the floor in the future.....he could be the secret weapon being held in reserve.

Comment

• Marcus
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
                            You think that he's going and running to get doughnuts during practice? He's playing against and with players who are better than he's going to see at Gonzaga, even if it's in practice mostly.
                            I agree with the practice being good for him. He is matching up with two NBA power forwards in Bennett and Nicholson and another Pro in Ejim who is a big athletic body. Guarding those guys will only help his game. We all know he can score but having to play D against those guys is great for him.

As far as playing time goes, I think he'll see more action next game. It works against him that the players he's fighting for playing time with are the only NBA guys on the team but I think he is definitely better than Doornekamp. I just think Doornekamp got the nod because he's the senior guy. I hope that's the case anyways because I really want to see Wiltjer play. I think we will know if he really is the odd man out after tomorrow.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I would look at it more as the pride of being a representative of Canada in the games.

They play competitively everyday for the next 5 days ..... they will have walkthroughs ...but not sure how many full blown practices they will be running on game day ....especially with 5 games in a row.

I'm thinking he will get to see some more time on the floor in the future.....he could be the secret weapon being held in reserve.

Comment

Working...
                              X