PDA

View Full Version : Kylle Willtjer makes the Canadian Pan Am Games Team

ZagNative
07-18-2015, 08:46 AM
From basketball.ca: (http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/canadian-mens-basketball-team-announced-for-toronto-2015-pan-am)

TORONTO (July 18, 2015) - On Saturday, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and Canada Basketball announced the 12 athletes who will represent Team Canada at the TORONTO 2015 Pan American Games from July 21 to 25.

The 12-man roster is comprised of national team veterans and up-and-coming talent. All 12 athletes have competed for Canada internationally either on the senior, development or an age-group national team.

The TORONTO 2015 team includes NBA talents Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson, and Sim Bhullar; national team veterans Aaron Dornekamp, Carl English and European pros Junior Cadougan, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, and Daniel Mullings. College standouts Dillon Brooks, Kyle Wiltjer and recent Kentucky-commit, Jamal Murray, round out the roster.

Head Coach Jay Triano leads the team, along with assistants Dave Smart, David Vanterpool and Bryan Gates. The athletes participated in a six-day tryout and training camp from July 12-17 and will officially move into the TORONTO 2015 Athletes Village today.

Marcus
07-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Great news. Happy for Kyle. I can see him getting a lot of playing time. Although it wouldn't be the best defensive line up, Heslip and Wiltjer on the floor together could put points up in a hurry. Talk about floor spacers.

Mr Vulture
07-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Great opportunity for Kyle but that roster looks terrible overall...

DixieZag
07-18-2015, 09:48 AM
What a cool opportunity. I don't know as much as Vulture to judge whether the roster is good/bad. I do know that the Canadian National basketball program is really up and coming, better every year. So, good stuff, Kyle.

jazzdelmar
07-18-2015, 11:04 AM
KP in the convo?

cdools
07-18-2015, 11:13 AM
KP was given opportunity but focused on the summer league and getting an NBA training camp tryout.

KP in the convo?

thespywhozaggedme
07-18-2015, 11:25 AM
compared to whom?
Here's the USA roster:

http://www.usab.com/mens/pan-american-games/roster.aspx

zagsfanforlife
07-18-2015, 12:54 PM

True. They have a ton of Canadian talent.. did players like Wiggins/ Olynyk, etc, not want to play?

Mojo13
07-18-2015, 12:57 PM
compared to whom?
Here's the USA roster:

http://www.usab.com/mens/pan-american-games/roster.aspx

The Canadian team will be one of the better teams there. No one is taking the PanAms seriously but as the host county Canada is at least putting a decent developmental team out there.
It is definitely a"B" team but there are 3 or 4 guys that should be on the "A" team for the FIBA Americas in sept. Which is the Olympic qualifier.

Kyle should get some decent run here. He won't start but it is an undersized team that will need his size. It will be an unconventional team often running without a center. Guys like Wiltjer or Anthony Bennett are like going to need to play some 5.

Mojo13
07-18-2015, 12:59 PM
True. They have a ton of Canadian talent.. did players like Wiggins/ Olynyk, etc, not want to play?

The main core of the Canadian team is holding off until the fiba Americas in September. Wiggins, KO, Sacre, Cory Joseph, Nik Stauskas, Tristan Thompson, Andrew Nichoslon, Carl English, Andy Rautins should all be there. With Tyler Ennis hurt Pangos has a good shot at backing up the PG spot. Maybe even starting as Cory Joseph is not certain yet. Pangos has had a much better summer league than Olivier Hanlan who might be competition for the spot. Jermaine Anderson and Junior Cadougan, both Euro vets would be the other potential PGs.

willandi
07-18-2015, 02:08 PM
It's a good thing for his resume', but too bad that he will have to play against inferior talent to the scrimmages! I wish him the best, and to not be coached into any bad habits. The Zag coaches have him doing what THEY want/need him to do.

Mojo13
07-18-2015, 03:55 PM
It's a good thing for his resume', but too bad that he will have to play against inferior talent to the scrimmages! I wish him the best, and to not be coached into any bad habits. The Zag coaches have him doing what THEY want/need him to do.

What the heck are you talking about? Inferior talent? Coached into bad habits? Do some research before making ignorant comments like that.
He is on a team where he is one of the least accomplished players, surrounded by a couple NBA players and a some pretty good euro pros. And the team is coached by an ex-NBA head coach who is also a former Team USA assistant - Jay Triano. Not to mention the accomplished resume of the assistant coaches. A number who are current NBA assistant coaches.

willandi
07-18-2015, 05:40 PM
What I said was that the opposition that Canada would play against is probably not as good as the Zags, current, past and future that he plays against in scrimmages over the summer.

We have seen several players that have played on their countries teams, and the coaches there ask them to do different things than what they are asked to do with the Zags. They come back and seem to have to learn some things over again.
Having been in this forum for many years, it has almost become a recurring thing, I am sorry if my thoughts don't meet with your approval, but I'm not really too concerned.

I hope that you have a nice day, and that Wiltjer doesn't get coached to any bad habits.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-18-2015, 05:54 PM
What I said was that the opposition that Canada would play against is probably not as good as the Zags, current, past and future that he plays against in scrimmages over the summer.

We have seen several players that have played on their countries teams, and the coaches there ask them to do different things than what they are asked to do with the Zags. They come back and seem to have to learn some things over again.
Having been in this forum for many years, it has almost become a recurring thing, I am sorry if my thoughts don't meet with your approval, but I'm not really too concerned.

I hope that you have a nice day, and that Wiltjer doesn't get coached to any bad habits.

Worrying about KW getting "coached to any bad habits" is silly. He's an intelligent young man fully invested in what will soon be his profession. Give him more credit than that... not to mention the Canadian coaches he is fortunate to learn from this summer.

webspinnre
07-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Plus, his coach is father of current Zag Dustin Triano, so I've got to think there's a relationship between he and Coach Few.

willandi
07-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Thank you for taking me so seriously! My initial post was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek reference to the quality of guys that show up here in the summers to scrimmage, and how the teams are probably almost as good, or better, than the team Canada opposition.

My statement about the bad habits is a more generic recall of the other players that have gone away to play for their country and been asked to do different things than they are asked to do here at Gonzaga. I didn't know that Coach Triano was the man there, that will probably make a difference. I'm not really worried, I know Kyle is an intelligent player, but (very, very small) hope that they don't want him to float the perimeter and be a 3 point sniper, much as he was at KU. It really isn't much of a concern. It's July and it was an off the cuff remark/observation. Nothing too serious, but thanks again for treating it as such. I will try to remember to put the sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek or whatever, cautionary flags, but I do often forget!

Mojo13
07-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Thank you for taking me so seriously! My initial post was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek reference to the quality of guys that show up here in the summers to scrimmage, and how the teams are probably almost as good, or better, than the team Canada opposition.

My statement about the bad habits is a more generic recall of the other players that have gone away to play for their country and been asked to do different things than they are asked to do here at Gonzaga. I didn't know that Coach Triano was the man there, that will probably make a difference. I'm not really worried, I know Kyle is an intelligent player, but (very, very small) hope that they don't want him to float the perimeter and be a 3 point sniper, much as he was at KU. It really isn't much of a concern. It's July and it was an off the cuff remark/observation. Nothing too serious, but thanks again for treating it as such. I will try to remember to put the sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek or whatever, cautionary flags, but I do often forget!

Way to back pedal there. Here is a tip for you.... Sarcasm on the Internet is equivalent to winking on the phone. Doesn't translate well. I doubt that was the intent anyways.

By the way...most countries are fielding professional players in the PanAms. maybe not many NBA players but most are pros and in most cases grown men. Many of these teams would toss the Zags around like rag dolls and the quality of the Zags summer scrimmages are in no way better than the competition at the PanAms. The "B" team from Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Canada, DR are probably better than any college team, let alone a U.S. "D" team. Kyle is very lucky to have been chosen for this and is priviledged to spend time with these coaches and players.

kyle dixon
07-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Nothing is better than representing your country in competition. Wiltjer deserves this opportunity and I I know he will be successful. I look forward to following the Canadian team in this event!

Reborn
07-19-2015, 06:11 AM
Good luck to Kyle and Canada. This IS a great opportunity for Kyle, and I hope he plays great.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-19-2015, 06:44 AM
Good luck to Kyle and Canada. This IS a great opportunity for Kyle, and I hope he plays great.

I'm rooting for a U.S. vs Canada gold medal game with Coach Few's squad taking the gold from Coach Triano's squad despite an exceptional game from KW.

willandi
07-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Way to back pedal there. Here is a tip for you.... Sarcasm on the Internet is equivalent to winking on the phone. Doesn't translate well. I doubt that was the intent anyways.

By the way...most countries are fielding professional players in the PanAms. maybe not many NBA players but most are pros and in most cases grown men. Many of these teams would toss the Zags around like rag dolls and the quality of the Zags summer scrimmages are in no way better than the competition at the PanAms. The "B" team from Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Canada, DR are probably better than any college team, let alone a U.S. "D" team. Kyle is very lucky to have been chosen for this and is priviledged to spend time with these coaches and players.

A tip for you. If its on the internet, or an internet forum, don't take evrything so d**n seriously. You worry too much. It will affect your health.

My advice, worry about what you do and what you can control. I'll deal with my thoughts and ideas from here. It works well for me.

sittingon50
07-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Tacos.

ZagaZags
07-19-2015, 09:47 PM

"Ward, you were a little rough on the beaver last night."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YZRCTKj-TNI/T4gQ6vw-WII/AAAAAAAAAkc/Xar6BDnOKvk/s1600/Leave+It+To+Beaver+%28Black+Eye%29.jpg

Mojo13
07-20-2015, 08:39 AM
"Ward, you were a little rough on the beaver last night."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YZRCTKj-TNI/T4gQ6vw-WII/AAAAAAAAAkc/Xar6BDnOKvk/s1600/Leave+It+To+Beaver+%28Black+Eye%29.jpg

Lol. True..true.
I wish people would own dumb comments sometimes - just admit "Hey, man...I didn't know much about the PanAm Games or who was playing/coaching in them", rather than hiding behind "Why u so srs!?! I make joke!!!"
But that is probably too much to expect on the interwebs.

http://new2.fjcdn.com/pictures/Y_af1e9f_996967.jpg

Canada's games start tomorrow. Likely streamed on the interwebs if anyone cares. Tues/Wed/Thurs - pool play games at 6pm ET and then semis and finals on Fri and Sat. I'd expect Wiltjer to get ~20mins a game.