PDA

View Full Version : Corey Kispert Offered by Gonzaga - 2017 6'6 wing - Kings HS (WA)

Pages : [1] 2

exclusivelee
07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Corey Kispert has picked up an offer from Gonzaga. He's a 2017 6'6 wing out of King's HS. He was named 1st team 1A, averaging 18.6 ppg, and helped to lead his high school to the Washington state 1A title this year

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1564066-double-pump-corey-kispert?s=143 (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1564066-double-pump-corey-kispert?s=143)

One of the west's top small forwards in 2017 is Corey Kispert from Seattle King.

At 6-foot-6 and 205 pounds, the rising junior has good size and length with a very strong frame but he also showed an impressive skill set on Wednesday at the Double Pump Best of Summer.

Kispert is right-handed but you wouldn't know it because he prefers to dribble and pass left. He can handle it, pass it and has a high basketball IQ.

But Kispert's best attribute? His shooting. He has a terrific stroke and can knock down jumpers from beyond the arc and midrange.

"I can shoot the ball from the inside, I like to shoot threes, I can attack the rim, I think I'm a pretty good passer and I like to play defense," Kispert said.

It's currently a regional battle for Kispert, who holds offers from Gonzaga, Washington and Washington State with interest from Stanford and Virginia. He's aiming towards a spring decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV67_fGTDpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hQvRVGY1A

Another video from this past season: http://t.maxpreps.com/1f88UqQ

Here's a report of his play in the Seattle area last week:

http://www.scout.com/college/washington/story/1563729-beach-s-bits-more-nw-premier-summer-showcase

Corey Kispert - 6’6” Wing Friends of Hoop Lavine. Kispert easily remains the most under-rated recruit in the region, and possibly the entire West Coast. That should change quickly later in July. The muscular wing is arguably the region’s best long range marksman, particularly effective off the catch and shoot, but that doesn't begin to fully describe his game. His position is tough to define; a combo guard in a non traditional sense with keen court awareness and passing ability. But in the paint, he uses his powerful frame and high level athleticism to assert himself and is a true battler down low.

Defensively, he delivers maximum effort able to keep smaller guards in front of him or bodying up bigger players in the post. Friday night he demonstrated his ability to impact the game when his shot is off (a rarity), dominating the post at times. Kispert is a unique player, and a top target of Washington, Gonzaga and Virginia. Stanford recently reached out to him, but bigger suitors may yet be in the cards.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/16/12844bb70656126d17cab6753b2939df.jpg

gonzagafan62
07-16-2015, 10:03 AM
We need this guy.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Kid is a dead ringer for Kyle Dranginis imo.

Also makes me a little giddy that the first 2 schollys in 2017 are going out to Seattle area kids. Fews persistence recruiting over there is gunna pay off eventually.

cjm720
07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Lots of tools, size, hard worker...fits the mold. Would be a very nice addition and could possibly be a key player in the future.

GonzaGAW
07-16-2015, 03:45 PM
We need this guy.

I say I want this guy!

its fun to dream, mine has collins, bailey, wade and kispert on the floor at the same time, hardly care who the 5th player is in my dream.

GonzaGAW
07-16-2015, 03:46 PM
We need this guy.

I say I want this guy!

its fun to dream, mine has collins, bailey, wade and kispert on the floor at the same time, hardly care who the 5th player is in my dream.

Reborn
07-16-2015, 07:55 PM
I believe grandson played against Kings this summer in a tournament. I will ask about him. My grandson is 6' 4" and a Sophomore to be next year. He's maturing nicely. He plays for Selah, and they have a very solid group of Freshman and Sophomores; and will be good for years now. Good news coming out of Selah. WE have a 6"1 or 2 point guard who will be the best guard in the league next year, and the best guard in Yakima. Yes. He's a freshman. And really good. HIs name is Eliziah Pepper.

75Zag
07-17-2015, 06:27 AM
He looks like a very talented young man.
Just out of curiosity, how feasible is it to turn a 6-7 wing into a 6-7 guard? Is it too late to try to do that when kids are transitioning between HS and College? I watched a bit of the Nike Peachtree Classic this past weekend and there were two guards both over 6-6 who were absolutely stunning in their skills and size. At least one is headed for Duke as the #3 or 4 overall player in the country. After watching GU get roughed up in the Elite 8 by our opponents big and powerful guards, I would like to see GU come up with a creative way to recruit or build a big guard. Not for the WCC obviously, but for national competition.
Just a summer speculation.
Go Bulldogs!

75Zag
07-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, how feasible is it to turn a 6-7 wing into a 6-7 guard? Is it too late to try to do that when kids are transitioning between HS and College? I watched a bit of the Nike Peachtree Classic this past weekend and there were two guards both over 6-6 who were absolutely stunning in their skills and size. At least one is headed for Duke as the #3 or 4 overall player in the country. After watching GU get roughed up in the Elite 8 by our opponent's big and powerful guards, I would like to see GU come up with a creative way to recruit or build a big guard. Not for the WCC obviously, but for national competition.
Go Bulldogs!

PHSBBall
07-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Just out of curiosity, how feasible is it to turn a 6-7 wing into a 6-7 guard? Is it too late to try to do that when kids are transitioning between HS and College? I watched a bit of the Nike Peachtree Classic this past weekend and there were two guards both over 6-6 who were absolutely stunning in their skills and size. At least one is headed for Duke as the #3 or 4 overall player in the country. After watching GU get roughed up in the Elite 8 by our opponent's big and powerful guards, I would like to see GU come up with a creative way to recruit or build a big guard. Not for the WCC obviously, but for national competition.
Go Bulldogs!

Big guards are always great but not necessarily a recipe for national championship success. Duke actually started two guards listed at 6'2" or smaller with Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook. The bigger guards they had were not ball handlers or playmakers for them at all. Rather played roles as spot up shooters and slashers. But the drivers of the offense were the 2 under sized guards in Jones and cook.

Actually going back to the 2008 Jayhawks championship team 6 of the past 8 NCAA Basketball champions have played with 2 starting guards that were 6'2" or smaller.

2015 Duke= Jones and Cook
2014 UConn= Napier and Boatright
2013 Louisville= Siva and Russ Smith
2011 UConn= Kemba Walker and Napier
2009 Carolina= Drew and Lawson
2008 Kansas= Chalmers and Sharon Collins

Big guards might be all the rage come nba draft time but recent NCAA success would suggest that playing multiple smaller dynamic playmakers in the same backcourt together leads to tourney championships

MDABE80
07-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Duke didn't rough us up. Their guards were the same size or smaller than ours. There's been a fantasy on this board for quite some time. Big guards are the best! Not true. 6 ft 2 is fine. Skills seem to be key. Rare to see a 6 ft 6 kid with great defense or quick feet.
I think we do fine with the present size. Our kids need more foot speed E-W. N-S speed seems to be fine. Long arms help too.

MDABE80
07-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Duke didn't rough us up. Their guards were the same size or smaller than ours. There's been a fantasy on this board for quite some time. Big guards are the best! Not true. 6 ft 2 is fine. Skills seem to be key. Rare to see a 6 ft 6 kid with great defense or quick feet.
I think we do fine with the present size. Our kids need more foot speed E-W. N-S speed seems to be fine. Long arms help too.

Zag 77
07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Dave Predergast is the only GU player in the last 20 years to play at GU from a 1A school. Everybody other than Canadians played at WA 3A & 4A schools or their equivalent.

I am not saying he is good or bad. I am just sayin'.

Zagdawg
07-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Who is this "predergast" you speak of?

amaronizag
07-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Who is this "predergast" you speak of?

I think he meant poltergeist.....

MDABE80
07-17-2015, 03:29 PM
This kid looks like he's got some nice skills. Few etc have evaluated him and they offered. They must have seen something good. Pendo was obviously a "superior in all categories" kid. H edid well here. I think Corey , while maybe not matching Pendo is the stat sheets, may be a very good kid with a lot of upside. He's looking good in these videos. Who knows? Maybe staff found a huge gem with a great future... I hope so.

It's quite true though that the A and B classes don't usually generate many kids that end up being beasts in the D1 world.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-17-2015, 03:44 PM
FWIW Kispert has played for every major AAU team in in Washington other then Rotary. He's not just beating up lesser comp.

PHSBBall
07-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Dave Predergast is the only GU player in the last 20 years to play at GU from a 1A school. Everybody other than Canadians played at WA 3A & 4A schools or their equivalent.

I am not saying he is good or bad. I am just sayin'.

I agree that it's really tough for kids at those levels to make a successful jump to D1 basketball but in Kisperts case I believe he has the size and skill set to be a great D1 player.

Steven Gray had an offer from GU when he was still at chimacum high school, where he played for 3 years before transferring to Bainbridge for his senior year. His career as a zag was pretty good.

Joe Harris from little chelan went on to do big things at Virginia and is now in the NBA. I think that Harris could put the ball on the floor better than kispert but he could be a similar shooter as a college player.

HenneZag
07-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Didn't Joe Harris play out of a smaller school? He turned out pretty good ya!

HenneZag
07-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Just saw your post PHS regarding Harris, sorry.

sittingon50
07-17-2015, 07:16 PM
King's has a pretty good tradition. Always one of the very best in 1A, IIRC.

Reborn
07-18-2015, 05:25 AM
I believe grandson played against Kings this summer in a tournament. I will ask about him. My grandson is 6' 4" and a Sophomore to be next year. He's maturing nicely. He plays for Selah, and they have a very solid group of Freshman and Sophomores; and will be good for years now. Good news coming out of Selah. WE have a 6"1 or 2 point guard who will be the best guard in the league next year, and the best guard in Yakima. Yes. He's a freshman. And really good. HIs name is Eliziah Pepper.

I was talking to my son last night and my grandson's team has played Kings, and I actually saw this kid play. When I was watching Kispert play the first thing I thought of was "Has Gonzaga offered this kid?" He can play folks. Yes, he is 6'9" and athletic. I believe his game falls into the range of Wiltjer's. He CAN shoot lights out that far from the basket. He handles the ball well. He's tough, and draws double and tripple teams all the time. I really hope he accepts. I also saw Pendo and Gray play in high school and Kispert is every bit as good, but he's 6'9". King's coach is no longer there but is here in Yakima. I may suggest that we send our grandson his way.

PHSBBall
07-18-2015, 06:43 AM
I was talking to my son last night and my grandson's team has played Kings, and I actually saw this kid play. When I was watching Kispert play the first thing I thought of was "Has Gonzaga offered this kid?" He can play folks. Yes, he is 6'9" and athletic. I believe his game falls into the range of Wiltjer's. He CAN shoot lights out that far from the basket. He handles the ball well. He's tough, and draws double and tripple teams all the time. I really hope he accepts. I also saw Pendo and Gray play in high school and Kispert is every bit as good, but he's 6'9". King's coach is no longer there but is here in Yakima. I may suggest that we send our grandson his way.

My son has played against him several times, the kid is legit. Been watching him down here in Anaheim this week as well. However he is far from being 6'9". 6'6" at best and looks to be physically matured already so he is most likely done growing taller

exclusivelee
07-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Corey Kispert is 1 of Scout's Breakout performers from July's 2nd evaluation period, along with 2018 Rainier Beach guard Kevin Porter

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1565412-second-july-eval-period-breakout-performers

Corey Kispert | Class of 2017
Kispert has been getting a lot of love in the Northwest and watching him this week, it’s easy to see why. He has good size at 6-foot-6 and a legit handle, but what you love about him is his shooting ability and basketball IQ. He can knock down jumpers from midrange and three but he also plays unselfish, smart basketball and is a terrific teammate. His floor as a college player is very high. Gonzaga, Washington and Washington State are competing for the wing.

Kevin Porter | Class of 2018
Porter quickly proved himself as one of the west’s top prospects in 2018 this week. He has size, length, serious ball skills, vision and ability to create his own shot. If he can hone all his talent and become someone who plays with a consistent edge, he’ll take his game to the next level. Porter has an offer from Montana with interest from Boise State, Gonzaga and Portland. Washington could end up the team to beat.

Here's more on 2018 guard Kevin Porter, who's dream school is UW, but has early interest from Gonzaga:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1564373-double-pump-kevin-porter?s=143

It didn't take long into the Double Pump Best of Summer to realize that one of the best young prospects in attendance belonged to A-Plus.

Kevin Porter, a 6-foot-4 - and growing - 180-pound wing from Seattle Rainier Beach has a good frame with long arms and a very high upside.

The rising sophomore has big time ball skills and is tough for opposing wings to stay in front of in both transition and half court. Porter is a capable shooter from midrange and three and uses his length to make some acrobatic finishes.

Porter's good feel is shown in his vision and he does a terrific job making advance passes in transition.

So far, Montana has offered Porter with interest coming from Boise State, Gonzaga and Portland.

His dream school is Washington.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/00745d9bfa19733b683ab68e1bfeacc6.jpg

MDABE80
07-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Well it seems that we should beat the crap out of UW. Forever! We need those recuits!

23zagmd
07-22-2015, 06:58 AM
This is not discounting Pendo at all, but this kid is a better jump shooter and a WAY better athlete than Pendo. Pendo beats him on the intangibles and hustle board every time they lace them up. I'd say same high IQ, but all things considered, this kid is a much higher level athlete and scorer than DP was. Some of you seem to really discount 1A....Kings was ranked about 20th out of all HS last year in WA and would have been in the top 5 for sure of the Metro. They beat several 3 and 4A teams in the Fall league and regular season and CK plays at as high a level as any kid in the PNW Showcase that I watched or refereed the entire tournament.

That said, we are after 2 or 3 other SG, SF that I would want ahead of him. I think the KD comparison is real good and his versatility is impressive. He could be a great glue guy in our program and continue the tradition.
This kid looks like he's got some nice skills. Few etc have evaluated him and they offered. They must have seen something good. Pendo was obviously a "superior in all categories" kid. H edid well here. I think Corey , while maybe not matching Pendo is the stat sheets, may be a very good kid with a lot of upside. He's looking good in these videos. Who knows? Maybe staff found a huge gem with a great future... I hope so.

It's quite true though that the A and B classes don't usually generate many kids that end up being beasts in the D1 world.

23zagmd
07-22-2015, 07:05 AM
There are two kids that are similar players to Corey that we should all keep an eye on.....

Gavin Long, who plays on Corey's FOH team, and is similar size is one of those kids that is just always making plays. I watched him in several games and he was the best player on the floor every time out. Including Corey.

Keegan Crosby, a Blanchet kid, 6'6" who is every bit the player and athlete that Corey is.... he just isn't consistent night in and night out at this point. Coached by Erroll Knight at A+ and worked out with the players at the team camp. He's a rising Junior and going to be a very good player by the time he is a Senior. He'd sign tomorrow if offered.

Vanzagger
07-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Pendo was highly skilled. There is no way Kispert is a Way better athlete. Both are very good athletes.

The problem was Pendo was asked to play Way out of position cause we had so many other guards. Don't forget Stanford was trying to steal David from us 2 years after he committed. And Brewster's name was always being thrown around with the big boys

cjm720
07-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Pendo was a great shooter too, but as mentioned was often asked to play out of position.

23zagmd
07-22-2015, 02:35 PM
so remind me the last time Pendo took the ball into traffic from the wing and dunked it ON a 6'11" kid or threw down a reverse two handed dunk off the break? Uh....never! I refereed a game this kid was in he had 5 threes and 4 dunks against high level AAU competition. I know they aren't college athletes but ....uh, yes... he is a way better athlete and its not really close!

Again, I loved what Pendo did for the program but that is NOT what this topic turned into. It became a comparison of skills between players. I gave you my thoughts..... and what I've seen about a dozen times this summer.QUOTE=Vanzagger;1126967]Pendo was highly skilled. There is no way Kispert is a Way better athlete. Both are very good athletes.

The problem was Pendo was asked to play Way out of position cause we had so many other guards. Don't forget Stanford was trying to steal David from us 2 years after he committed. And Brewster's name was always being thrown around with the big boys[/QUOTE]

Vanzagger
07-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Maybe you should be in charge of his next youtube highlight video. The long one he just gets his only dunk over the rim. The short one shows the same dunk 3x. Sorry but if your 6'6 those 2 dunks are nothing special.

I hope we get him but slow your roll on him already being an elite athlete.

soccerdud
07-22-2015, 10:25 PM
Maybe you should be in charge of his next youtube highlight video. The long one he just gets his only dunk over the rim. The short one shows the same dunk 3x. Sorry but if your 6'6 those 2 dunks are nothing special.

the best and worst (but mostly worst) thing about the internet is the people who have watched a minute and a half of youtube lecturing those with direct experience or expertise. skepticism is healthy, but this post right here is not a good look.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-23-2015, 07:15 AM

Hudl is your friend
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2634941/highlights/250223387/v2

cjm720
07-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Hudl is your friend

Okay, I'm sold.

Sweet website, thanks for sharing.

Vanzagger
07-23-2015, 10:14 AM
My initial post in this thread I called him a very good athlete. I am going to ease off that a bit to "good athlete". I watch hudl video daily, mostly football.

I see more lay ups than dunks. That's fine. He has some nice break away dunks sprinkled in there. Maybe someone from Brewster or Ferris can put me in my place and tell me Pendo or Mallon didn't have many similar dunks.

Vanzagger
07-23-2015, 10:17 AM
My initial post in this thread I called him a very good athlete. I am going to ease off that a bit to "good athlete". I watch hudl video daily, mostly football.

I see more lay ups than dunks. That's fine. He has some nice break away dunks sprinkled in there. Maybe someone from Brewster or Ferris can put me in my place and tell me Pendo or Mallon didn't have many similar dunks.

azzagfan
07-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Like the bounce, like the release...I got a bit of a Frahm feel.

seacatfan
07-23-2015, 10:31 AM
King's is about a mile away from where I live. Maybe I'll go check out some of their games this year.

Bouldin4Prez
07-23-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm not really seeing this "great athlete" thing when watching the video. He appears to be a good athlete, but he seems to be slow of foot to me. I could be wrong. However, what I do see, is a great looking jump shot stroke. Nice quick release with good form.

exclusivelee
07-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Corey Kispert is gaining quite the buzz. 4 more articles/interviews. Including some talk about Gonzaga:

Video interview with Dawgman (says GU is coming after him the hardest over UW & Wazzu): http://www.scout.com/college/washington/story/1566353-dawgmantv-corey-kispert-in-vegas?s=75

From Rivals' Eric Bossi: https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1785789&PT=4&PR=2

July 24, 2015

Las Vegas: Top performers from Thursday

Corey Kispert -- His Friends of Hoop squad was a bit overmatched against the Georgia Stars, but the 2017 wing put himself on the map in impressive fashion. A solidly built 6-foot-6 wing, Kispert is a lights out jump shooter from deep who has some athleticism and grit in his game. Consider him a lock for the next 2017 rankings and it's no wonder that Gonzaga, Washington, Washington State and Utah have all offered him scholarships. Stanford, Virginia, USC and Oregon State are also involved

From Scout's Josh Gershon: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1565776-las-vegas-corey-kispert

July 23, 2015

Kispert broke down what he likes about the three schools which have offered.

Gonzaga: “I like their style of play and it fits me very well. They do things right and care about the right things. They care about you in the classroom and want to see you succeed after basketball as much as they do on the court.”

Read more: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1565776-las-vegas-corey-kispert

More pub from ESPN's Joel Francisco last week: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=14220

July 21, 2015

Five Observations from SoCal Events

3. Pacific Northwest has some young talents on the rise

The Pacific Northwest has been producing more and more talent in recent seasons, and the future looks bright. Representation from that region in the 2017 class is well-documented, with ESPN 60 talents in Seattle-area shooting guards Jaylen Nowell (No. 49) and Daejon Davis (No. 48). However, Davis and Nowell are not the only promising prospects from the region, as 6-foot-5 rising junior Corey Kispert (King HS/Seattle) is another name to keep an eye on. The multi-skilled wing has interest from Gonzaga, Washington, Washington State, Stanford, and Virginia.

In addition, keep an eye out for 2018s Kevin Porter (Rainier Beach HS/Seattle) and 6-foot-7 Kamaka Hepa (Barrow/Barrow, Alaska). The inside-out, left-handed Porter can impact the game in a variety of ways. Montana has offered, and he has interest from Boise State, Gonzaga, and Portland. The versatile Hepa is a power forward with size, length, savvy, and ball skills. Washington assistant coach Will Conroy, appears to be tapped into the young talent in Hepa's region, and could be targeting him.

Reborn
07-24-2015, 09:49 AM
I just saw Kispert play two weeks ago, and I guarantee you He is at least 6' 8" and he can play inside and out just like Wiltjer. He is NOT 6'5" or even 6' 6". I walked up right next to this kid.

kortus3
08-06-2015, 01:28 PM
I am an assistant coach to the team who Kings and Kispert defeated in the 1A State title game. The kid is the real deal. He has an amazing stroke and if left open for a split second makes it. He went on a run in the semi final game where he hit 4 threes and didn't hit the rim. We managed to hold him to 8 points partly because his team was really good that he didn't have to do everything and partly cause we frustrated him a little bit. He is a good player though. Decent athleticism, great stroke, plays hard on both ends of the floor. I will look forward to seeing his averages this year for Kings though my guess is he will average at least 25 a game this year.

cjm720
08-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Welcome and thank you, Kortus!

sittingon50
08-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks Kortus.

PHSBBall
08-06-2015, 08:15 PM
I just saw Kispert play two weeks ago, and I guarantee you He is at least 6' 8" and he can play inside and out just like Wiltjer. He is NOT 6'5" or even 6' 6". I walked up right next to this kid.

Not even close to 6'8" bro, maybe he was walking on a sidewalk next to you?

He is absolutely 6'5" TOPS. Been in the gym and watched him for a few years now, my son has played against him and guarded him in both the spring and the summer on the AAU circuit this year. His FOH Teammate Mikey Henn is only 6'7" and a good 2 inches taller than him.

Would agree with you that he is versatile like Wiltjer as a scorer, but I would bet he is already physically stronger than Kyle is lol. Kispert is a beast but his listed height is spot on

23zagmd
08-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Absolutely NO way he is 6'5". My son plays against him as well....He's a legit 6'4 - 6'5, but he has an NCAA frame. Love the Richie Frahm comparison from a game standpoint!

exclusivelee
01-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Zags still pursuing Corey Kispert:

Gonzaga Guru @ZagsGuru

Gonzaga coach Mark Few was in Kent yesterday watching @Corey_Kispert drop 22 points, 10 rebounds, & 4 steals http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball-kentwood-beats-corey-kispert-and-kings/
3:51 PM - 19 Jan 2016

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/20/e7eb6177919e0b7b9231a852181ae72a.jpg

Coach Crazy
01-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Not sold on Kispert, yet.

thespywhozaggedme
01-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Someone said he's our top priority for 2017.
Zags still pursuing Corey Kispert:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/20/e7eb6177919e0b7b9231a852181ae72a.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
01-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but the flip side is we don't want a Joe Harris v 2.0, who desperately wanted to be a Zag.

Zagceo
01-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but the flip side is we don't want a Joe Harris v 2.0, who desperately wanted to be a Zag.

Even the blue bloods miss one now and then…….IMO can't let fear of the mirror cloud your facts and feelings. Could be wrong

ProjectMKUltra5
01-20-2016, 10:46 AM
My thing with Kispert is that he's already so physically developed, I'm worried he might not have the ceiling that some other players have.

vandalzag
01-20-2016, 10:57 AM

So you recruit and make offers based on who you failed to offer or sign in the past? Seems like the not so smart way to proceed.

ProVeeZag
01-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Hudl is your friend

Based on this hudl vid, looks like a definite prospect. Nice size for his age. That dunk at 2:58 had some authority on it!! Looks a bit "heavy-footed", but possesses a gorgeous jump shot and strong left hand dribble. I believe I read where he plays at a 1-A school, so will need to convince me he can do it against top-flight opposition. Thx for the video!

Zagceo
01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Article was a little confusing……Kings won Class 1A state last year and is currently ranked 3rd in Class 3A and just lost to Kentwood 4A

Coach Crazy
01-20-2016, 11:51 AM

No, you don't want to miss out on those kinds of kids. But at the same time, he was a 3-star prospect. You just don't have the luxury of playing the numbers on all the 3-star kids you think might pan out. Much better odds at getting 4-star athletes and Burger Boys.

Kispert seems a bit slow, a little deliberate, not so quick, and less athletic than I would hope. Also, I look at his lower half and he has feet and part of the legs like a post player. That worries me, unless he grows into a power forward. Perhaps he is a Kyle Wiltjer/Kelly Olynyk type? We have time to see him develop, but as of now, I would like to see a higher level from him.

I am probably in the minority on that one, but just calling it how I see it.

cggonzaga
01-20-2016, 11:52 AM

Why cc? You don't like blanket statements without facts and data to back statements up so...

I personally like him. Good size, good athleticism, good shooter...we need wing types!

cggonzaga
01-20-2016, 11:57 AM
No, you don't want to miss out on those kinds of kids. But at the same time, he was a 3-star prospect. You just don't have the luxury of playing the numbers on all the 3-star kids you think might pan out. Much better odds at getting 4-star athletes and Burger Boys.

You realize it happens fairly often that a kid is a 3 star prospect until a Duke, UNC, UK (blue blood program) offer or accepts a commitment? After which the prospect becomes a 4 or 5*. I wouldn't be so quick to disregard because of stars. GU has made a program off of such players. We're never going to be a program that only recruits 4 and 5* prospects. We simply don't have that luxury.

GoZags
01-20-2016, 12:27 PM
My thing with Kispert is that he's already so physically developed, I'm worried he might not have the ceiling that some other players have.

That is not going to be a problem.

thespywhozaggedme
01-20-2016, 01:03 PM
No, you recruit great players who want to be Zags, period.
So you recruit and make offers based on who you failed to offer or sign in the past? Seems like the not so smart way to proceed.

Coach Crazy
01-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Why cc? You don't like blanket statements without facts and data to back statements up so...

I personally like him. Good size, good athleticism, good shooter...we need wing types!

Well, for starters, I already commented on why I am not sold on him, yet. Second, with high school kids, defining the context of the statistical output is crucial. They can be very subjective. A 30 point scorer in Oregon isn't necessarily as talented as a 15-20 point scorer in the Chicago basketball scene.

This isn't like college or pro basketball where 1) there is an industry-wide database and 2) it is weighted to give the appropriate context to how those statistical outputs measure against one another.

This is where speed, quickness, mechanics, athleticism, IQ, work ethic and others come into play. But if you want some a stat, Kispert plays 1A ball. So, given the discrepancies I already see...that's not encouraging.

Coach Crazy
01-20-2016, 01:10 PM
No, you recruit great players who want to be Zags, period.

That alone is not enough. And Joe Harris was only a miss post-recruitment. Joe Harris was not a *great* player coming out of high school. We also have people here who don't like seeing players transfer out or get cut. So, you want to gamble on every 2* and 3* that waves the Gonzaga flag? If you're cool with missing the tournament every year, seeing Mark Few get fired, and watching the program proceed backward toward the back end of the WCC, right on. Me too.

vandalzag
01-20-2016, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme;1165241]No, you recruit great players who want to be Zags, period.[/QUOTE

So they don't do that now and did not do that in the past? If that is the case how do they get players to come to Gonzaga?

maynard g krebs
01-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Just watched video of him for the first time. I think he's a young Richie Frahm, with a bit of Dan Majerle thrown in. Better athlete than expected from some posts here. Range, quick release, can move laterally and square up quickly off the dribble. Good passer, anticipates well enough to make up for not being lightning quick on D.

I don't think playing 1a is an issue at all. I remember when Spangler was being recruited there was a lot of questioning caliber of comp in small school Okla. At the time, I said, (and Malastein, who imo is a pretty sharp observer, agreed) that sight unseen, his unreal numbers in terms of rebounding and fg% at that level were enough to be sure that the only question was if he'd be a very good college player or more than that.

Looks like what's now the missing piece, a scoring wing. Love this kid.

Zagceo
01-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Does his father see eye to eye with Arvydas?

btzag
01-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Kevin Love played high school ball in Oregon as did Terrence Jones, Terrence Ross, etc...yes overall talent is less but you cannot overlook any area or level.

seacatfan
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Kevin Love played high school ball in Oregon as did Terrence Jones, Terrence Ross, etc...yes overall talent is less but you cannot overlook any area or level.

It's cyclical, there are years when Portland area is churning out more high level D1 players than Seattle. In addition to guys you mentioned some others I can think of off the top of my head are Mike Moser fairly recently, various Stoudamires a decade ago or more (Damon, Salim, Antoine...), going way back AC Green that played for the Lakers for forever. I'm sure many more as well.

Also Andrew Andrews that is currently starring for UW and leading the Pac 12 in scoring...and I don't think he was even a real highly regarded prospect. Definitely not a 5*, probably not a 4* either.

Zagceo
01-20-2016, 04:19 PM
http://cdn.tegna-tv.com/-mm-/6c637ff9d7da0af6902210bbd58f9c8802b8a2a6/c=1085-231-4214-2584&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/2016/01/19/NWGroup/KING/635888277926189201-P2740461.JPG

Corey getting 22 against 4A Kentwood is a good sign…..I think

Interview (http://www.scout.com/college/washington/story/1566353-dawgmantv-corey-kispert-in-vegas)

cggonzaga
01-20-2016, 04:38 PM
That alone is not enough. And Joe Harris was only a miss post-recruitment. Joe Harris was not a *great* player coming out of high school. We also have people here who don't like seeing players transfer out or get cut. So, you want to gamble on every 2* and 3* that waves the Gonzaga flag? If you're cool with missing the tournament every year, seeing Mark Few get fired, and watching the program proceed backward toward the back end of the WCC, right on. Me too.

Some of GU's best players over the years have come from lower level state classifications. Many recruits the past few seasons have been 3* or less recruits. Yet, Mark Few and the program continue to thrive. Not worried there.

Zagceo
01-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Some of GU's best players over the years have come from lower level state classifications. Many recruits the past few seasons have been 3* or less recruits. Yet, Mark Few and the program continue to thrive. Not worried there.

Agree…… but the bar will definitely be raised next year with the Zach-k attack.

DixieZag
01-20-2016, 05:14 PM
It's cyclical, there are years when Portland area is churning out more high level D1 players than Seattle. In addition to guys you mentioned some others I can think of off the top of my head are Mike Moser fairly recently, various Stoudamires a decade ago or more (Damon, Salim, Antoine...), going way back AC Green that played for the Lakers for forever. I'm sure many more as well.

Also Andrew Andrews that is currently starring for UW and leading the Pac 12 in scoring...and I don't think he was even a real highly regarded prospect. Definitely not a 5*, probably not a 4* either.

Last year - IIRC - Utah had more 4-5 star recruits (or McD's all Americans, I really can't remember the measure) than all of CA, OR, WA put together. That is fairly impressive IMO.

cggonzaga
01-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Agree…… but the bar will definitely be raised next year with the Zach-k attack.

Don't get me wrong, the higher the * the better but it's not the end all be all. Zack is actually a 3* prospect on some sites. I'm certainly happy to have him!

ProVeeZag
01-20-2016, 09:56 PM
While it's true a kid scoring 30ppg in rural N. Dakota may not be as good as a 12-15ppg scorer playing in Seattle or NYC or Chicago, it does not necessarily follow that one should therefore overlook the high scoring balller from N. Dakota.

Having played my high school ball in rural North Dakota, I can recall a young man from Williston who scored 30 or more points on a regular basis. He moved on to playing for the Fighting Sioux at Univ of North Dakota where he was a Little All-American. Later drafted by the NY Knicks ... you may remember the name of Phil Jackson. Oh yeah, he later did a little coaching.

On the other hand, my high school teammate in ND led the state in scoring (about 26 per game). Standing an even 6', he never played a minute of college ball. You just never know. Thanks for stirring up some fond memories though!

TravelinZag
01-21-2016, 03:07 AM
Some exciting prospects! However, is there any indication that any of them want to be a Zag? What are the chances? In recent years, have seen too many SDSU, Oregon, Stanford, UW, etc. commits by players we thought the Zags would land. Difficult to get my hopes up this early! Besides, still pulling for a terrific season facing adversity this year.

Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
01-21-2016, 04:18 AM
Some exciting prospects! However, is there any indication that any of them want to be a Zag? What are the chances? In recent years, have seen too many SDSU, Oregon, Stanford, UW, etc. commits by players we thought the Zags would land. Difficult to get my hopes up this early! Besides, still pulling for a terrific season facing adversity this year.

Go Zags!

None of those lost to SDSU are exactly tearing it up. Spencer, Pope, Kell. Lotta meh. And Reid Travis is just ok.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2016, 04:25 AM
Having played my high school ball in rural North Dakota, I can recall a young man from Williston who scored 30 or more points on a regular basis. He moved on to playing for the Fighting Sioux at Univ of North Dakota where he was a Little All-American. Later drafted by the NY Knicks ... you may remember the name of Phil Jackson. Oh yeah, he later did a little coaching.

On the other hand, my high school teammate in ND led the state in scoring (about 26 per game). Standing an even 6', he never played a minute of college ball. You just never know. Thanks for stirring up some fond memories though!

Cool story Provee..thanks. I did not know Phil Jackson was from N. Dakota or a former Fighting Sioux (now the Fighting Hawks)...wonder what recruitment of high-school hoop players in North Dakota was like then? I'm guessing he did not have multiple scholarship offers coming out of Williston, ND but glad North Dakota was willing to give him a chance!

Zagnificent
01-21-2016, 04:38 AM

Are these the same recruits that have failed to produce this year...Alberts? Melson? Edwards? They were lower ranked and yet they were heralded as world-beaters coming into the program. For the most part, players get the number of stars that they deserve. There's a few outliers (e.g. Joe Harris overperforming or Malik Pope underperforming), but in general the higher rated players will turn out better.

willandi
01-21-2016, 06:18 AM
Cool story Provee..thanks. I did not know Phil Jackson was from N. Dakota or a former Fighting Sioux (now the Fighting Hawks)...wonder what recruitment of high-school hoop players in North Dakota was like then? I'm guessing he did not have multiple scholarship offers coming out of Williston, ND but glad North Dakota was willing to give him a chance!

It is a great story! I thought that they should have changed their logo to a woman with feathers in her hair and their name to the fighting Sue!

Zagcity
01-21-2016, 06:18 AM
Are these the same recruits that have failed to produce this year...Alberts? Melson? Edwards?

Really :fingergun:

willandi
01-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Are these the same recruits that have failed to produce this year...Alberts? Melson? Edwards? They were lower ranked and yet they were heralded as world-beaters coming into the program. For the most part, players get the number of stars that they deserve. There's a few outliers (e.g. Joe Harris overperforming or Malik Pope underperforming), but in general the higher rated players will turn out better.

Weren't Melson and Alberts from bigger schools? Alberts had leg problems, as I remember, so his stock had dropped. Even after the RS year, he hadn't played for 2 years or more. Melson has been discussed as infinitum. Edwards was NOT highly touted. He didn't play AAU ball. He is a 7'+ from Kalispell that was brought on knowing he would be a project. He is improving, gaining confidence. If tonight he can give 12-15 minutes, it will go a long way towards keeping Wiltj and Domas ready for the end. If he can add points, boards and blocks it's an extra benefit.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2016, 06:44 AM
When did I say you do? You made an assumption and then an aggressive conclusion on my statement. Even though that assumption added words I did not say. You reached the wrong conclusion.

After rereading your post, I agree w you...my reply was wrong. I apologize.

If Coach Few and staff believe Kispert is worthy of mid season road trip and recruiting then I trust their judgment and hope we land Kispert to join Wade in 2017!

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 07:15 AM
You realize it happens fairly often that a kid is a 3 star prospect until a Duke, UNC, UK (blue blood program) offer or accepts a commitment? After which the prospect becomes a 4 or 5*. I wouldn't be so quick to disregard because of stars. GU has made a program off of such players. We're never going to be a program that only recruits 4 and 5* prospects. We simply don't have that luxury.

This is not even remotely true. You're taking the combined sentiment of those who don't like factory schools on here, and using it in a way that does not work. You have proof of this phenomena, correct? I can tell you that just from Duke and UNC they have taken 3* star kids. Those kids remained 3*. Check there minutes, how they contributed to the success of those programs, and where they are now.

You don't win Championships with a bunch of 3* recruits, or even in part. You win by taking 4* and 5* recruits. Oh, and if you think that this club is going to rely on impact player performance from the 3* types much longer, I would encourage you to look at what our recruiting is doing.

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 07:22 AM
After rereading your post, I agree w you...my reply was wrong. I apologize.

If Coach Few and staff believe Kispert is worthy of mid season road trip and recruiting then I trust their judgment and hope we land Kispert to join Wade in 2017!

No worries, I deleted my post. You can edit this one, that I am responding to, accordingly. And that's a fair stance to take on trusting Coach Few. I won't claim to know more than that staff. But I will say what I see.

I was also not high on Brendon Bailey until later in his high school career, so who knows. I am very high on Jesse Wade, though. Rivals is dumb. He should have been a 4 across the board.

cggonzaga
01-21-2016, 07:32 AM
It is true. I don't have time to look up specifics. I didn't say it always happens I said it happens fairly often. Pretty sure Grayson Allen was a 3 * until Duke got involved. Ask Butler and VCU and even UConn recently if you can get to championships with 3* players. I am looking at next years recruiting at GU and see 1 4* commit, 1 3* commit and then a bunch of not ranked. Do I believe those unranked guys are better than that? Of course! It's not all about the rankings though. Does 4* or better mean better players? Sure but not always. You wouldn't want Norvell because he's rated 3* on some sites?

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2016, 08:24 AM
It is a great story! I thought that they should have changed their logo to a woman with feathers in her hair and their name to the fighting Sue!

:roll::roll::roll:

Zagceo
01-21-2016, 09:26 AM
It is true. I don't have time to look up specifics. I didn't say it always happens I said it happens fairly often. Pretty sure Grayson Allen was a 3 * until Duke got involved. Ask Butler and VCU and even UConn recently if you can get to championships with 3* players. I am looking at next years recruiting at GU and see 1 4* commit, 1 3* commit and then a bunch of not ranked. Do I believe those unranked guys are better than that? Of course! It's not all about the rankings though. Does 4* or better mean better players? Sure but not always. You wouldn't want Norvell because he's rated 3* on some sites?

Specifics matter when making claims and links are preferred.

I guess Norvell was upgraded to a 4 after signing with GU. :-)

Novel 81 (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings)

ProVeeZag
01-21-2016, 10:10 AM

The forced name change from "Fighting Sioux" is an extremely sensitive issue with UND fans. I appreciate your sense of humor though! We must be politically correct these days...

willandi
01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
The forced name change from "Fighting Sioux" is an extremely sensitive issue with UND fans. I appreciate your sense of humor though! We must be politically correct these days...

Fighting Sue would have fit the bill then. No references to Native American, strictly a woman, or 2, long hair and wearing feathers. You know...angry hippie girls!

vandalzag
01-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Fighting Sue would have fit the bill then. No references to Native American, strictly a woman, or 2, long hair and wearing feathers. You know...angry hippie girls!

Or you could go the Johnny Cash route with the Fighting Boy Named Sue

Coach Crazy
01-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Novel 81 (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings)

It's not even worth discussing, if that is the response that we are going to get. You have to be able to provide a timeline that pin-points *when* the change occurred and prove that it was solely because Duke or another school got involved.

Now, can schools that win championships and are perennial powers influence a perception of a player because their coaching staff is better at seeing value and talent than everyone else? Sure. But that still means they were a 4* or 5* star product, as opposed to a player that they brought in as a 3* and developed. They were something that others couldn't see, or something that the factory school saw a bit faster. It's not like Duke is finding all of these seniors that are 3* talent and then all of the sudden they get bumped to a 4* or BB status. You don't win Championships that way.

Simply putting a Duke tag on someone does not

willandi
01-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Or you could go the Johnny Cash route with the Fighting Boy Named Sue

+1

Zagnificent
01-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Really :fingergun:

For real, though. I know there's been so much talk about Melson/Alberts lately. But year after year the <3* recruits come into the system with the hype train churning out exhaust, and they almost consistently perform like <3* recruits! If this guy is a 3* recruit, chances are that he'll perform like one!

GoZags
01-21-2016, 10:56 AM
It's not even worth discussing, if that is the response that we are going to get. You have to be able to provide a timeline that pin-points *when* the change occurred and prove that it was solely because Duke or another school got involved.

Now, can schools that win championships and are perennial powers influence a perception of a player because their coaching staff is better at seeing value and talent than everyone else? Sure. But that still means they were a 4* or 5* star product, as opposed to a player that they brought in as a 3* and developed. They were something that others couldn't see, or something that the factory school saw a bit faster. It's not like Duke is finding all of these seniors that are 3* talent and then all of the sudden they get bumped to a 4* or BB status. You don't win Championships that way.

Simply putting a Duke tag on someone does not

I will agree with what you've said. However, I'm also of the belief that a "network" with a member site that has thousands and thousands of paid subscribers from one of it's member schools (i.e. Scout.com and Dawgman.com) has an equally good chance of having THEIR "commit" jump upwards.... particularly vis a vis a smaller school that isn't even a part of their "network".

Do I have data that supports this? No. But I do know the guys that started Dawgman AND the guy that started Rivals/Scout ... and I have the ever popular GUBoards "eye test" going for me.

willandi
01-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Doesn't being a 3* recruit mean that you are somewhere about the 100th best HS player in the US? With 350+ D1 schools, a 3* is not a bad player to get. If all you ever got was 5* and/or 4* you would be in that elite group picked to finish in the top 4 almost every year...maybe even better than many NBA teams. 3* is nothing bad, and it is just someones opinion, which makes it even more subjective!

cjm720
01-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Back to Kispert....is he going to be a Zag?!

GoZags
01-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Back to Kispert....is he going to be a Zag?!

Everything that I'm hearing "unofficially" is that there is a close parallel to Zach Collins in that they were both "born to be Zags". The UW premium board folks have him a "Zag lean". Time will tell, however.

maynard g krebs
01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Doesn't being a 3* recruit mean that you are somewhere about the 100th best HS player in the US?

Generally, top 100 or so are 4 star or better. There are probably, just a guess, maybe 300 or so 3 stars after that. Something like a half dozen average per state, maybe a couple more.

sittingon50
01-21-2016, 11:26 AM

I was there, Will. I don't ever remember any angry hippie girls!!

(sorry for my contribution to the derailment)

cggonzaga
01-21-2016, 11:55 AM

I know you think you're being smart but it's not as easy to prove with links in this case. Reason being, once a player's rating changes there's no way to find what it was before. Or at least I don't know how to find that. You can believe me or not, that's up to you. Norvell was rated a 3* before he became a 4*. We've seen it happen before but if you don't think that's the case then that's fine. The whole point is 4* and 5* players don't always mean better players.

Go back to a recruiting website from 2013 say. Look at the players ranked between 50-100 (4* players). How many names do you recognize? I watch a lot of college basketball and I can count a handful of those players I recognize. They might be good players but never became anything special. Then look at players ranked from 100-300. You're going to find many more recognizable names or at least players that are every bit as good as those ranked higher than them.

seacatfan
01-21-2016, 01:30 PM
None of those lost to SDSU are exactly tearing it up. Spencer, Pope, Kell. Lotta meh. And Reid Travis is just ok.

Travis can't seem to stay healthy, his playing time has been fairly limited so far in his two years. He's been out most of this season. He's certainly shown potential and I believe was being counted on to be a major contributor this year.

seacatfan
01-21-2016, 01:37 PM
When this thing got rolling for the Zags, were there any 4 or 5 star recruits? I doubt it. I certainly understand their situation and recruiting profile has changed since then, but I think sometimes a bit too much attention is paid to number of stars next to a kid's name.

Also as previously noted they get so many international players (especially in the '16 class) that don't get classified with a star rating, how does anybody really know where these kids stack up against US high school players? Sabonis was fairly easy to project as being a really high level recruit, Karnowski too. I just don't know what to make of Tillie, Larsen and Hachimura. Also in years past, where would guys like Turiaf, Sacre, Harris, Olynk etc. been ranked if foreign recruits were ranked? Keep in mind that is without handsight seeing what they turned into as college players. Seems like all of them were at least somewhat considered projects.

seacatfan
01-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Mike Miller was from one of the Dakotas (probably South, not North, I can't remember). Went on to be a star at Florida and then enjoyed a long NBA career.

ProVeeZag
01-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Mike Miller was from one of the Dakotas (probably South, not North, I can't remember). Went on to be a star at Florida and then enjoyed a long NBA career.

FWIW Wikipedia shows Mike Miller as being from Mitchell SD, Home of the world famous "Corn Palace". I've been to the Corn Palace; it looked a little "seedy".

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Go back to a recruiting website from 2013 say. Look at the players ranked between 50-100 (4* players). How many names do you recognize? I watch a lot of college basketball and I can count a handful of those players I recognize. They might be good players but never became anything special. Then look at players ranked from 100-300. You're going to find many more recognizable names or at least players that are every bit as good as those ranked higher than them.

Excellent point. Would love to read a well researched article on this very topic of where players were rated coming out of high school vs how their collegiate careers panned out. Such an article could give much needed perspective on ratings, which could serve to temper the 4-5 "star" kids sense of entitlement and stoke the competitive flames of all the 3 "stars" or lower.

seacatfan
01-21-2016, 02:35 PM
FWIW Wikipedia shows Mike Miller as being from Mitchell SD, Home of the world famous "Corn Palace". I've been to the Corn Palace; it looked a little "seedy".

That's corny.

I met someone from either Iowa or Ohio (I'm getting old, can't remember stuff anymore) that referred to being "corned in." I wasn't familiar with that term. Apparently it's when your home is literally surrounded by corn fields on all sides.

roxdoc
01-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Didn't Ammo live in Mitchell, SD once upon a time?

nish_mode
01-21-2016, 04:17 PM
I think this kid plays AAU for Friends of Hoop. I'd be curious to see how he did this past summer.

Those private school kids he's playing in 1A don't look good at all.

For a wing, it doesn't look like he'll be breaking down defenders against D1 competition. He might be a nice option off the bench to supplement the higher level talent we'll have.

GoZags
01-21-2016, 04:20 PM
I think this kid plays AAU for Friends of Hoop. I'd be curious to see how he did this past summer.

Those private school kids he's playing in 1A don't look good at all.

For a wing, it doesn't look like he'll be breaking down defenders against D1 competition. He might be a nice option off the bench to supplement the higher level talent we'll have.

He did very well against top competition. That is why he is being sought by upper tier schools from all of the Power 5 Conferences.

GrizZAG
01-22-2016, 06:01 PM

Larry Kryskowiak started in Shelby, Montana but finished at Big Sky in Missoula and one Wayne Estes from Anaconda, Montana was a stud in CBB before being electrocuted. Those are modest programs. But true as you say "not many". Pendo was amazing.

GrizZAG
01-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Didn't Ammo live in Mitchell, SD once upon a time?

Glendive, Montana..population 5,300

sittingon50
01-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Miller was a Freshman on that Florida team that Casey beat with "The Tip-in."

Ezag
01-22-2016, 09:48 PM
So the key is to find a hidden 4 or 5 star gem living in a tiny city in a less populated state?

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2016, 12:36 AM
anybody in the know able to compare with calvin hermanson of smc???

ZionZag
01-23-2016, 08:24 AM
That's corny.

I met someone from either Iowa or Ohio (I'm getting old, can't remember stuff anymore) that referred to being "corned in." I wasn't familiar with that term. Apparently it's when your home is literally surrounded by corn fields on all sides.

I was "corned in" in that "seedy" building a couple of time with my high school basketball team.....don't remember the exact score but I think we scored just 32 "kernels" in each loss....Miller was from Mitchell and Ammo did live there a short time.

exclusivelee
03-05-2016, 11:31 AM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1648533-four-most-involved-corey-kispert

Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Virginia, & Utah are the most involved. Corey Kispert talks about Zags. Loves GU's player development & family atmosphere

Washington, USC, & Stanford also interested

New highlight video: https://youtu.be/p4X7qkAqgRY

GoZags
03-05-2016, 11:50 AM
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1648533-four-most-involved-corey-kispert

Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Virginia, & Utah are the most involved. Corey Kispert talks about Zags. Loves GU's player development & family atmosphere

Washington, USC, & Stanford also interested

New highlight video: https://youtu.be/p4X7qkAqgRY

Not in that article but true nonetheless is this ... Washington is interested but the feeling is no longer mutual. Gonzaga, Virginia and Notre Dame are the three leaders ... followed by Utah.

DixieZag
03-05-2016, 12:20 PM
I want any kid who is targeted by Notre Dame and Virginia for any number of reasons.

As for the Corn Palace, traveled through SD once, we "popped" in and I thought it was a- maize - ing.

ProjectMKUltra5
03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
I want any kid who is targeted by Notre Dame and Virginia for any number of reasons.

As for the Corn Palace, traveled through SD once, we "popped" in and I thought it was a- maize - ing.

Was gunna say the same thing. If Mark Few, Mike Brey, and Tony Bennett all want somebody, that bodes well. Kid must be a warrior if both Bennett and Brey are on him

sittingon50
03-05-2016, 01:24 PM
I believe he & his teammates will be playing Freeman for the State Championship tonight.

cggonzaga
03-05-2016, 02:01 PM
You're right sitton. I'll be rooting for Freeman but also Kispert.

Keep recruiting those wing types that can shoot it but also have athleticism!

thespywhozaggedme
03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
You highlight a part of his quote and it's not the absurd puns? Dixie, props to your silliness.
Was gunna say the same thing. If Mark Few, Mike Brey, and Tony Bennett all want somebody, that bodes well. Kid must be a warrior if both Bennett and Brey are on him

sheps001
03-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Corney remark

thespywhozaggedme
03-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Now you're just poppin' off at other posters.
Corney remark

cggonzaga
03-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Kispert with 29 today in 41 point state championship win. Guess Few and Lloyd were there Friday.

23dpg
03-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Crazy that they don't seed the tournaments. The top 2 seeds played in the quarters. Kispert's team rallied from 5 down with about 49 seconds left to upend #2 Zillah.

ScrapironJim
03-06-2016, 01:35 PM
247 sports and Scout.com have him as a 4*

seacatfan
03-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Crazy that they don't seed the tournaments. The top 2 seeds played in the quarters. Kispert's team rallied from 5 down with about 49 seconds left to upend #2 Zillah.

Seems to happen every year. This year the 3A boys and girls, the "real" championship was in the semi finals and the actual final game was a complete blowout with zero suspense.

Reborn
03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
There are some very good 1A schools and King's is one of them. Kispert can play. I've seen him. Steven Gray begin his high school career playing in the 1A classification. He left to a bigger school his Junior year. Talent is talent. Pendo, by the way, played for Brewster in the B state classification. He signed with GU while still in high school. I live in Selah, Wa, and there's a guard here who was the best player in Selah's conference AS A FRESHMAN, and I guarantee you that he could one day play at GU is they decide to recruit him. Selah is two A.

exclusivelee
03-12-2016, 12:10 AM
http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20160312/SPORTS01/160319784

webspinnre
03-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Whatever school lands Kispert, it won't be getting just a basketball player. Kispert maintains a 3.98 grade-point average.

Wowzers. One more reason to want him.

Coach Crazy
03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Would like to see some updated video on him. He's going to be coming into a program where he will be competing with Killian Tillie, Ruic Hachimura, and Zack Norvell. He could end up being the fourth best player on that list.

23dpg
03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Does he handle the ball away from the post?
I assume he'll be a 3 in college.

hooter73
03-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Nice article, kid sounds like a Zag :)

ProjectMKUltra5
03-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Would like to see some updated video on him. He's going to be coming into a program where he will be competing with Killian Tillie, Ruic Hachimura, and Zack Norvell. He could end up being the fourth best player on that list.

Probably, but he's still a 3 and D guy whereas those three are bit more dynamic. He brings a different kind of value then the three you mentioned

hooter73
03-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Mostly all complete unknowns... including Kispert. And Id pencil Norvell in at the 2 even with his height. I'd think he'd be a great addition, like Jesse Wade. They may not be POTY one and done types but they are the types that makes others around them better and what Gonzaga is built on.

Coach Crazy
03-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Mostly all complete unknowns... including Kispert. And Id pencil Norvell in at the 2 even with his height. I'd think he'd be a great addition, like Jesse Wade. They may not be POTY one and done types but they are the types that makes others around them better and what Gonzaga is built on.

Yes, they are unknowns, but knowing that we have to go based on the variables we can confirm. I would pencil in Norvell as a 2, as well, however, he has the size, length, and skill set to play both positions. I have no problem with guys that come in here to make Gonzaga better, I just haven't seen enough to think of him as anything more than an extra time guy that gets in on the end of the rotation. I know that isn't what most think, I just see developmental players coming in with more upside.

Probably, but he's still a 3 and D guy whereas those three are bit more dynamic. He brings a different kind of value then the three you mentioned

To finish my thoughts from the response to Hooter: I feel that our talent and the depth of that talent are becoming as such that we won't see as many of the Gonzaga types that were kind of middle of the road. Or at least they will need to understand that coming here will mean they may very well play either very little, or not at all. I would actually argue that Rui, Zack, and Killian all bring D and 3.

But, as I said, I would like to see more footage. I have no problem changing my views on a player, but I have to see things that reconcile what I thought previously. Some newer game footage would be nice.

cggonzaga
03-12-2016, 02:59 PM
I know you've never been a fan of Kispert coach but I think you're missing something on this one. The kid is a prototypical 3. I've heard he's a better version of Joe Harris at the same age. If that's true we're talking about ACC POY good type of player. I do agree he'll have terrific players in front him though so it could be a couple of years before we see how good he can be. Also sorry to see you're still somewhat bashing the Gonzaga "type" player. I believe you're making a mistake underestimating some of these kids.

Hooter, I actually think both Kispert and Wade are both POY types. Now that may not happen because of all the talent GU has in the coming years but these kids aren't just role player types.

ZagaZags
03-12-2016, 03:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p4X7qkAqgRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cV67_fGTDpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g2hQvRVGY1A

Coach Crazy
03-12-2016, 04:45 PM
I know you've never been a fan of Kispert coach but I think you're missing something on this one. The kid is a prototypical 3. I've heard he's a better version of Joe Harris at the same age. If that's true we're talking about ACC POY good type of player. I do agree he'll have terrific players in front him though so it could be a couple of years before we see how good he can be. Also sorry to see you're still somewhat bashing the Gonzaga "type" player. I believe you're making a mistake underestimating some of these kids.

Hooter, I actually think both Kispert and Wade are both POY types. Now that may not happen because of all the talent GU has in the coming years but these kids aren't just role player types.

Per the bolded comment, that's fair. I see things that I just can't overlook. I'll definitely be looking out for his summer tape and senior year stuff. Brendan Bailey changed my mind, so I am up for seeing things that make me think otherwise.

Kispert's lower legs and feet raise some red flags for me. Just much bigger than normal for a kid his size. He and Joe were built a little different, and I think you could make the case that Joe was a little more dynamic of a ball handler, a little quicker, and a little faster.

Either way, I have no problem being wrong. Everyone is wrong about someone, at some point. I just can't not say what I see. I would feel more comfortable with a Kispert type if he had 2 or 3 more inches on him. And again, he's going to be coming in as a less talented player. So, as long as he knows what he is going to have to do.

cggonzaga
03-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Per the bolded comment, that's fair. I see things that I just can't overlook. I'll definitely be looking out for his summer tape and senior year stuff. Brendan Bailey changed my mind, so I am up for seeing things that make me think otherwise.

Kispert's lower legs and feet raise some red flags for me. Just much bigger than normal for a kid his size. He and Joe were built a little different, and I think you could make the case that Joe was a little more dynamic of a ball handler, a little quicker, and a little faster.

Either way, I have no problem being wrong. Everyone is wrong about someone, at some point. I just can't not say what I see. I would feel more comfortable with a Kispert type if he had 2 or 3 more inches on him. And again, he's going to be coming in as a less talented player. So, as long as he knows what he is going to have to do.

You had me until this statement. Maybe could've added in your opinion. I hope you see new tape on him soon. I think you'll like what you see.

seacatfan
03-12-2016, 05:33 PM
As far as this idea of the former prototypical Zag player no longer having a place in the program--I was never a big Mike Hart fan like most on this board, but Kyle Dranginis was huge this year for GU. Stat sheet stuffing, playing tough D, coming up with timely rebounds, and getting more aggressive on the offensive end as the season progressed and actually hitting double figures semi-regularly. I think there will continue to be a place for players like KD on GU's roster. Not even trying to compare Kispert to KD, since I've never seen Kispert play.

maynard g krebs
03-13-2016, 12:29 AM

A while back I watched a little video of Kispert, and based on that I made a post comparing him to Richie Frahm and citing some similarities. Shortly after that post, I got a pm from an insider connected to the hs bb scene, who i don't know personally, saying that people who should know project him to be an all league player (in whatever league, apparently, incl pac 12) his jr and sr years.

Tony Bennett wants him. Tony Bennett coaches a top 5 team. Good enough for me.

Hoopaholic
03-13-2016, 08:09 AM
from what I have seen, I am happy ....nope change that , I am ecstatic that he is going to be a zag.....

23dpg
03-13-2016, 08:22 AM
from what I have seen, I am happy ....nope change that , I am ecstatic that he is going to be a zag.....

Done deal?

Hoopaholic
03-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Done deal?

my fault poor choice of words....ecstatic he is considering zagville.......

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2016, 10:33 AM
What makes you say he's "less talented"? He got the schollie offers from ND and UVA, Tillie, Norvelle and Rui didn't. Do you think maybe Kisperts skin color has some type of subconscious effect on your opinion?

ProjectMKUltra5
03-13-2016, 10:53 AM
What makes you say he's "less talented"? He got the schollie offers from ND and UVA, Tillie, Norvelle and Rui didn't. Do you think maybe Kisperts skin color has some type of subconscious effect on your opinion?

Tillie is white tho...

vandalzag
03-13-2016, 11:18 AM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/67141517.jpg

seacatfan
03-13-2016, 11:26 AM
In today's Seattle Times, he was picked as 2nd team all-state.

sittingon50
03-13-2016, 11:50 AM

C'mon.:explode:

23dpg
03-13-2016, 12:02 PM

What a horrible insinuation. You should apologize for that Spy.

maynard g krebs
03-13-2016, 03:40 PM
In today's Seattle Times, he was picked as 2nd team all-state.

As was Oregon signee Keith Smith of Rainier Beach.

exclusivelee
04-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Gonzaga hosts Corey in a couple weeks (April 26-28):

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/41e985f35bf5ef3743f7c44d1a58a839.jpg

https://twitter.com/ZagsGuru/status/718205523993042944

Some new articles. Kispert talks top 3 schools (Gonzaga, Virginia, Notre Dame) and he's open to take 2 more official visits in the summer:

http://www.scout.com/college/notre-dame/forums/1052-four-horsemen-lounge/14678276-hoops-4-star-sf-kispert-sets-official-visit

https://notredame.n.rivals.com/news/corey-kispert-sets-notre-dame-visit

DixieZag
04-07-2016, 03:28 PM
As near as I can tell from reading the people in the know around here, this guy has held his cards pretty close to his vest and we have no idea what his interest level is. Given the people that want him, and given who he is considering, we're talking high major talent and attitude. Wish he'd give a tell.

seacatfan
04-07-2016, 03:57 PM
As near as I can tell from reading the people in the know around here, this guy has held his cards pretty close to his vest and we have no idea what his interest level is. Given the people that want him, and given who he is considering, we're talking high major talent and attitude. Wish he'd give a tell.

That seems telling to me. Virginia and Notre Dame both do a good job of finding guys that fit their system, and both usually have a collection of shooters. If they both want him, makes me think he's a player the Zags would be happy to get.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2016, 05:44 PM

I'll bite on this. No. As has been mentioned, you listed Tillie, who is white. And Zach Collins is white. I've already made my opinion known. I am confident enough to say something out loud, knowing that I could be wrong, but trusting my eyes and what they tell me.

Tillie is bigger, longer, more athletic and has played against far better competition, Rui has the potential to be an NBA player and already possesses some fundamentals and refinement that would otherwise make him very raw, and Norvell is the best player out of Simeon (I don't care if some think it is a down year) and one of the best in Chicago. He's also more talented and more versatile.

It won't ruin my day if they take Kispert. If he is coming here to be a 4 year guy, and ride the pine as a rotation guy for 2 or 3 years, then so be it. We just have to realize that guys from places like Simeon, Gorman, Findlay, and high level international talent are going to be more and more the norm. If he wants to jump into the fray and compete, then so be it.

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2016, 05:55 PM
I'll bite on this. No. As has been mentioned, you listed Tillie, who is white. And Zach Collins is white. I've already made my opinion known. I am confident enough to say something out loud, knowing that I could be wrong, but trusting my eyes and what they tell me.

Tillie is bigger, longer, more athletic and has played against far better competition, Rui has the potential to be an NBA player and already possesses some fundamentals and refinement that would otherwise make him very raw, and Norvell is the best player out of Simeon (I don't care if some think it is a down year) and one of the best in Chicago. He's also more talented and more versatile.

It won't ruin my day if they take Kispert. If he is coming here to be a 4 year guy, and ride the pine as a rotation guy for 2 or 3 years, then so be it. We just have to realize that guys from places like Simeon, Gorman, Findlay, and high level international talent are going to be more and more the norm. If he wants to jump into the fray and compete, then so be it.

As a white guy if we are going to be racial about it, the white guys that ND and Virgina recruit are usually really good ball players. If his top three are virginia, nd and GU, I assume hes not a ride the pine guy for 3 years. My take.

zagsfanforlife
04-07-2016, 05:56 PM
I think Norvell, Wade, Kispert and Collins in the rotation would be bombs away from 3 land.

gonzagafan62
04-07-2016, 06:09 PM
As a white guy if we are going to be racial about it, the white guys that ND and Virgina recruit are usually really good ball players. If his top three are virginia, nd and GU, I assume hes not a ride the pine guy for 3 years. My take.

Damn straight ... We need kispert

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Ok, fair enough, but I and many others think that you're really selling him short, it's Kispert after all, not the others that you mentioned that has schollie offers from UVA and ND, top tier ACC schools.

MDABE80
04-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Well, Tillie is taller but he's not bigger or stronger. Krispert is build like a good sized tight end. Thick, tall and powerful with broad shoulders. Tillie is a stick. Hes 6 9 heading for 6 10 and is 180 lbs. He is quite the leaper and is a great and versatile player. D 1 kids go on to be reat players often........they can have lots of talent but often don't live in a culture that prioritizes big time development for big time athletics.
As I look at thiskid, he's got the bones to be a very decent D1 player. Few of our locals kids are gifted enough to go to the NBA but many do contribute to good programs.
If I was Few, I'd bring him on board and try like hell to develop him. I agree with coach that others coming from basketball focused places are coming. Nonetheless, Krispert looks decent to me ....he might develop into the wing we want. Those programs who are interviewing him must have seen him play and think highly of him. ew must have as well. We don't see a lot of premium local kids. I hope he's premium and I hope we get a good lokk at him.

As for his color, lol.....it's always the performance that counts here at GU. I haven't heard color issues brought up for over 10 years when we were chided for having too many white kids ( and coaches). UW generated the most criticism as I recall. Me? As long as they played hard and won games is what counted most. And boy did those kids play hard and win games.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 02:59 AM
Well, Tillie is taller but he's not bigger or stronger. Krispert is build like a good sized tight end. Thick, tall and powerful with broad shoulders. Tillie is a stick. Hes 6 9 heading for 6 10 and is 180 lbs. He is quite the leaper and is a great and versatile player. D 1 kids go on to be reat players often........they can have lots of talent but often don't live in a culture that prioritizes big time development for big time athletics.
As I look at thiskid, he's got the bones to be a very decent D1 player. Few of our locals kids are gifted enough to go to the NBA but many do contribute to good programs.
If I was Few, I'd bring him on board and try like hell to develop him. I agree with coach that others coming from basketball focused places are coming. Nonetheless, Krispert looks decent to me ....he might develop into the wing we want. Those programs who are interviewing him must have seen him play and think highly of him. ew must have as well. We don't see a lot of premium local kids. I hope he's premium and I hope we get a good lokk at him.

As for his color, lol.....it's always the performance that counts here at GU. I haven't heard color issues brought up for over 10 years when we were chided for having too many white kids ( and coaches). UW generated the most criticism as I recall. Me? As long as they played hard and won games is what counted most. And boy did those kids play hard and win games.

Yeah, I looked at that after I posted and thought about changing that to taller. I do not believe that Tillie is bigger or stronger, but more so taller and longer.

To the second part of the bolded comment, as I have said before, his lower legs and feet remind me more of a power forward ala-Mr. Violette than they do a guard. It raises some red flags, because that doesn't bode well for quickness and agility at the next level as a player physically develops.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 03:07 AM

If he comes to GU, who is he beating out on the current roster to take a starting spot? Norvell? He's definitely more acclimated to the American game than Rui, and Rui does have the potential to be a bust, but if I have to choose between the two, right now I am taking Rui.

Funny, too, that Hachimura gets some flack for playing in Japan, but Kispert doesn't get as much playing 1A ball, and not a high level of AAU standout. As well, while I don't see him not playing at all (poor choice of slang on my part), I do not see him as more than a rotational player till year 3 or 4, and that is if we have some down years recruiting. If this staff continues on its current path, then the Kispert's of the area will never be recruited, primarily, to start here.

ZagaZags
04-08-2016, 03:30 AM
If he comes to GU, who is he beating out on the current roster to take a starting spot? Norvell? He's definitely more acclimated to the American game than Rui, and Rui does have the potential to be a bust, but if I have to choose between the two, right now I am taking Rui.

Funny, too, that Hachimura gets some flack for playing in Japan, but Kispert doesn't get as much playing 1A ball, and not a high level of AAU standout. As well, while I don't see him not playing at all (poor choice of slang on my part), I do not see him as more than a rotational player till year 3 or 4, and that is if we have some down years recruiting. If this staff continues on its current path, then the Kispert's of the area will never be recruited, primarily, to start here.

I'm pretty sure you know this, Hachimura isn't coming in 2016 and Corey Kispert is 2017. In 2017 Gonzaga will have,

Josh Perkins, Jr.
Silas Melson, Sr.
Nigel Williams-Goss, Sr.
Zach Norvell, So.
Jesse Wade, Fr.

I see plenty of room for Hachimura and Corey Kispert in 2017.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-08-2016, 04:09 AM
I'm pretty sure you know this, Hachimura isn't coming in 2016 and Corey Kispert is 2017. In 2017 Gonzaga will have,

Josh Perkins, Jr.
Silas Melson, Sr.
Nigel Williams-Goss, Sr.
Zach Norvell, So.
Jesse Wade, Fr.

Have I missed the 100% confirmation Hachimura is not arriving until 2017?

I think Zags definitely have room for both Hachimura and Kispert to lock down the 3 spot for several years. Funny, years and years of no prototype small forwards at Gonzaga and now possibly two arriving on campus together.

TexasZagFan
04-08-2016, 05:50 AM

Just an aside, but wasn't the MOP of the Final Four a melanin-challenged player?

If the Dallas Cowboys are considered "America's Team", then the Zags should be called the "International Team" due to the foreign players that have found a home at GU.

gonzagafan62
04-08-2016, 06:42 AM
Just an aside, but wasn't the MOP of the Final Four a melanin-challenged player?

If the Dallas Cowboys are considered "America's Team", then the Zags should be called the "International Team" due to the foreign players that have found a home at GU.

As a cowboys fan, I like the name. But along with Robert Sacre, Gus Johnson and others.... Gonzaga is also Americas team. Weird that I got into this type of situation ...

cggonzaga
04-08-2016, 07:17 AM

Tell me again how a low classification Washington high school athlete that is rated a lowly 3 stars can't be a good college basketball player at a highly successful college program. - Joe Harris

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Tell me again how a low classification Washington high school athlete that is rated a lowly 3 stars can't be a good college basketball player at a highly successful college program. - Joe Harris

i don't think that is what crazy is saying at all...he's saying based on what he's seen of kispert, he doesn't think he's the caliber of harris...it's simply one man's opinion based on the film he's seen.

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Well, Tillie is taller but he's not bigger or stronger. Kispert is build like a good sized tight end. Thick, tall and powerful with broad shoulders. Tillie is a stick. Hes 6 9 heading for 6 10 and is 180 lbs.

i think this is actually a negative in crazy's eyes...what you're describing is desirable in your power forward, but not for a wing in the zag system. if kispert gets any bigger he probably won't have the necessary quickness to play on the perimeter as he's not an elite athlete to begin with.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 08:10 AM

I never said can't (but if I did, please post it, and I will correct myself). I am of the position that Joe Harris is very much the exception...not the rule. For the one Joe Harris that is being presented as evidence, I ask you to observe Exhibit B: Every other 3 star reach that didn't work out.

If this kid turns into a Joe Harris-type producer (from a statistical perspective), then great. That's not really the issue.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 08:12 AM
i think this is actually a negative in crazy's eyes...what you're describing is desirable in your power forward, but not for a wing in the zag system. if kispert gets any bigger he probably won't have the necessary quickness to play on the perimeter as he's not an elite athlete to begin with.

The fact that Abe sees what he does, and I see what I do with his legs...is a good indicator that I am not necessarily seeing things. And yes, you understand more so what I am saying.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2016, 08:52 AM
I never said can't (but if I did, please post it, and I will correct myself). I am of the position that Joe Harris is very much the exception...not the rule. For the one Joe Harris that is being presented as evidence, I ask you to observe Exhibit B: Every other 3 star reach that didn't work out.

If this kid turns into a Joe Harris-type producer (from a statistical perspective), then great. That's not really the issue.

But your use of the term "reach" is what many of us object to. Answer me this honestly; does a "reach" get offers from UVA and ND?

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 09:15 AM
But your use of the term "reach" is what many of us object to. Answer me this honestly; does a "reach" get offers from UVA and ND?

Joe Harris was a reach. He hadn't done what he had done at the college level, until he had done it. UVA took a flyer on Joe. As far as Kispert, I just don't completely buy the comparisons to Joe Harris, as much as others do.

A reach can still get offers from UVA or ND? Yes. Kispert is a 4, so he's not going to get put in the same category as Joe, when it comes to recruiting. But I think one of my biggest things is that I just don't see him as an option we would have had room for had a guy like Brendan Bailey or TJ Leaf signed. Corey feels like the kid that we are offering because much higher options didn't work out.

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Joe Harris was a reach. He hadn't done what he had done at the college level, until he had done it. UVA took a flyer on Joe. As far as Kispert, I just don't completely buy the comparisons to Joe Harris, as much as others do.

A reach can still get offers from UVA or ND? Yes. Kispert is a 4, so he's not going to get put in the same category as Joe, when it comes to recruiting. But I think one of my biggest things is that I just don't see him as an option we would have had room for had a guy like Brendan Bailey or TJ Leaf signed. Corey feels like the kid that we are offering because much higher options didn't work out.

i think kispert is only a "reach" in your eyes crazy...unless you think norvell is a reach too...because both scout and rivals have kispert rated higher (scout has kispert @ #76 / rivals @ #84)...and let's be honest, these rankings usually strongly favor guys like norvell over guys like kispert (simeon vs. wash.state class 1A school)

Mr Vulture
04-08-2016, 10:01 AM
This is speculation and not confirmed in regards to Hachimura. These comments are made solely on speculation a few months back on this site. He may delay enrollment but let's not call it a fact until it is.

Josh Perkins, Jr.
Silas Melson, Sr.
Nigel Williams-Goss, Sr.
Zach Norvell, So.
Jesse Wade, Fr.

Reborn
04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
I really feel it isn't about the size of the school, or the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight within the dog. I'm not saying who will make it at the D1 level and who won't. Those that make it have mental toughness and confidence. Each and every player has to prove whatever he has on the floor, first in practice and then in games. If someone is being recruited by GU, ND and Virginia believe me, they have the tools to play at those schools. However, just because they have those tools doesn't mean they will make it. They have to fight for and win each and every minute on the court in games. If you want to be a part of those who play you had better be able to make shots in the game, and defend, and fight for lose balls. There is only one thing that is guaranteed in college basketball, and that is that you will be given a chance to prove yourself. After that it's all up to each individual player. A good coach really doesn't care about what high school you went to or what AAU team you played on. But if he offers you a scholarship he does believe in you. Right now none of us really knows who will and who will not make it. But Kispert has the same chance as all of the other guys mentioned.

Go Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Are you sure? I thought he was a sg/sf.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2016, 10:08 AM
I think you really are stretching things without much fact behind it. Joe Harris was not a reach at all and was being recruited by several Pac12 schools, Gonzaga, and many others. He ended up in the ACC and started as a freshman, averaging double digits before developing into an All ACC guy and NBA player. To say that Kispert can "come and ride the pine and then be rotational player" is way out of touch. The kid is going to be a four star recruit and is currently set to visit Gonzaga, Notre Dame, and Virginia. Clearly the experts have a much better idea of the player than any of us would have. You can have an opinion about a guy but let it be based in reality a bit...lol

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 10:13 AM
i think kispert is only a "reach" in your eyes crazy...unless you think norvell is a reach too...because both scout and rivals have kispert rated higher (scout has kispert @ #76 / rivals @ #84)...and let's be honest, these rankings usually strongly favor guys like norvell over guys like kispert (simeon vs. wash.state class 1A school)

Norvell played at Simeon, is faster, quicker, more versatile, a better shooter, passer, and ball handler. Norvell is under rated. He's a special player. Where you play does matter, to a certain extent. The competition in Chicago is light years ahead of the Seattle 1A scene. Norvell has a chance to be a second or third year first round pick. All depends on how he approaches his time here. He's that good. We have never had players like Zack and Zach. Even those higher up who like Kispert expect him to be a 4 year player that gets all-league by year 3 or 4. We're talking about two different levels of talent. This is one of those times where you have to go beyond the stars. At the same time, if I remember correctly, ESPN has him as a 2 star.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2016, 10:16 AM
The fact that Norvell is a special player and underrated recruit doesn't mean that Kispert is a reach. I tend to agree with you on Norvell, I think we are getting a kid that can contribute immediately and has NBA upside down the line. Where I get lost is the correlation between him and Kispert.

Norvell played at Simeon, is faster, quicker, more versatile, a better shooter, passer, and ball handler. Norvell is under rated. He's a special player. Where you play does matter, to a certain extent. The competition in Chicago is light years ahead of the Seattle 1A scene. Norvell has a chance to be a second or third year first round pick. All depends on how he approaches his time here. He's that good. We have never had players like Zack and Zach. Even those higher up who like Kispert expect him to be a 4 year player that gets all-league by year 3 or 4. We're talking about two different levels of talent. This is one of those times where you have to go beyond the stars. At the same time, if I remember correctly, ESPN has him as a 2 star.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
I think you really are stretching things without much fact behind it. Joe Harris was not a reach at all and was being recruited by several Pac12 schools, Gonzaga, and many others. He ended up in the ACC and started as a freshman, averaging double digits before developing into an All ACC guy and NBA player. To say that Kispert can "come and ride the pine and then be rotational player" is way out of touch. The kid is going to be a four star recruit and is currently set to visit Gonzaga, Notre Dame, and Virginia. Clearly the experts have a much better idea of the player than any of us would have. You can have an opinion about a guy but let it be based in reality a bit...lol

Is watching tape, reality? Just checking. And I really don't care what another coach says, to a certain extent. You're resorting to appeal to authority. I speak for myself. I think for myself. I haven't heard a lot of analysis as to why someone feels in favor Corey (from a non-coaching perspective). I keep hearing 'so and so likes him'. We're taking different approaches. If I was just about trusting what other coaches say and not thinking for myself, i would stop watching tape and posting on message boards as much. At that point we have much less to talk about.

Brendan Bailey is a good example. I thought his pre-summer-AAU play was underwhelming. He grew some, and played really good AAU ball. I saw what I needed to change my mind.

As well, we are also talking relatively speaking. I personally believe that the level of recruiting is rising faster than what may have been originally expected pre-last recruiting class. I see a guy like Corey getting recruited over, to some degree.

Coach Crazy
04-08-2016, 10:36 AM
The fact that Norvell is a special player and underrated recruit doesn't mean that Kispert is a reach. I tend to agree with you on Norvell, I think we are getting a kid that can contribute immediately and has NBA upside down the line. Where I get lost is the correlation between him and Kispert.

There isn't much correlation. Just that in the situation where Josh and NWG play well, but neither go in next year's draft, Corey is going to have to compete with Silas (who will probably split time between backup 2 and starting/backup 3) and Zack. I don't see him winning either battle unless he shoots better than Silas and plays better defense. I see his body going the way of a big 3/undersized 4. That's going to create issues for attacking the basket from the wing, and playing defense against athletic 3's.

cggonzaga
04-08-2016, 10:46 AM

I still don't see your reasoning. And yes Harris is a good comparison to Mr. Kispert as both are about the same size, same position, same body types, excelled at low classification schools in the state of Washington and are/were both highly recruited. One difference is that Kispert in high school is a better shooter and better athlete than Harris was.

Yes Crazy a reach can get offers but not usually this early in the process. Going on visits to 3 major programs would not be considered a reach.

Also, despite your argument that many 3 stars flame out keep in mind just as many 4 stars and some 5 stars do the same. Recruiting is not an exact science.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion based upon what you're seeing but also keep in mind you could be just as wrong as you think some of us are.

MDABE80
04-08-2016, 10:49 AM
I think Coach is right. I like Kispert because he's a grinder and he's good at it. We need kids like that.
Can he improve? I think so. Will he be a "Norvell"? unlikely . But he brings other things to the table. Basic blue collar Zag things.
As to the Zack and Zach...........superior kids by every measure we know....high talent. Elites almost.
We're lucky to have those two. We won't find kids like that every year. We are not Duke, Kansas etc. We do the best with what we've got. Something about that concept I'vee always liked. Kispert is part of the team of guys. I'm thinking he may not be flashy but he'll get any job done.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2016, 11:12 AM
I will trust the professionals opinion on Kispert I guess and I still don't make the correlation on Perk/NWG going pro having anything to do with Kispert being a role player at best in 2-3 years. Especially since he doesn't play PG anyway. I also don't see how Harris was ever a reach. In any case, you're entitled to your opinion.

There isn't much correlation. Just that in the situation where Josh and NWG play well, but neither go in next year's draft, Corey is going to have to compete with Silas (who will probably split time between backup 2 and starting/backup 3) and Zack. I don't see him winning either battle unless he shoots better than Silas and plays better defense. I see his body going the way of a big 3/undersized 4. That's going to create issues for attacking the basket from the wing, and playing defense against athletic 3's.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Today:

This is speculation and not confirmed in regards to Hachimura. These comments are made solely on speculation a few months back on this site. He may delay enrollment but let's not call it a fact until it is.

Three days ago:

You all can stress about Domas going pro. I'll just sit here an relax, thinking about how dominate Sabonis and Karno will be next year in the WCC when they both are back.... :cheers:

:lmao:

Can't make this stuff up.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2016, 01:17 PM
The decision by Domas was very fluid up to the day he announced, from what I heard. I stand by what I was hearing about his decision and have no issues admitting I was wrong. However, I never guaranteed anything..I said I was going to "relax, thinking about how dominate they will be when the both are back". I didn't get long to relax for sure though...LOL

As far as Hachimura, this has all come from a couple statements when he first committed by a poster on here. He may reclassify, he may not, last I heard was that it was mostly making sure he could complete the academics to be 2016. I took this as being due to coming from Japan and nothing to do with being an academic risk...just for the record.

In any case, touche, but I will stand by the accuracy of my posts over the years. :cool:

Today:

Three days ago:

:lmao:

Can't make this stuff up.

ZagaZags
04-08-2016, 01:27 PM

It was confirmed to me a few months ago. Not once but twice, from two extremely good sources.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2016, 01:30 PM
I haven't heard anything from anyone connected to the program so I couldn't tell you. The only thing I heard was from Mark Few on the radio that said Rui was working to get the academics handled. Didn't really address a reclassification or coming this year from what I heard coach say.

It was confirmed with me a few months ago. Not once but twice, from two extremely good sources.

ZagaZags
04-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I haven't heard anything from anyone connected to the program so I couldn't tell you. The only thing I heard was from Mark Few on the radio that said Rui was working to get the academics handled. Didn't really address a reclassification or coming this year from what I heard coach say.

I guess nothing is out of the bag until it's out of the bag. :D :cheers:

ZagaZags
04-08-2016, 02:19 PM

I guess 6-6 would be considered a big 3 for GU.

TravelinZag
04-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Not every prospect that the Zags (or any other quality program) offer and sign fulfills his potential, for a variety of reasons. However, there are not many on this (or any other) board whose opinion on extending offers I'd take over the coaches. Some great players GU missed out on, some signees that didn't work out or didn't fit in? Absolutely! Trying to evaluate how well a talented 18-year-old will mature and fit a school's program is part skill and part crap shoot. On balance, the record of Zag recruiting has been damn good, and a lot better than the collective wisdom displayed here.

doctorzag
04-08-2016, 04:22 PM
It was confirmed to me a few months ago. Not once but twice, from two extremely good sources.

This is hilarious! You have extremely good sources? Why is almost everything you predict on this board wrong then? Your funny man.

cjm720
04-08-2016, 04:34 PM
I will trust the professionals opinion on Kispert I guess and I still don't make the correlation on Perk/NWG going pro having anything to do with Kispert being a role player at best in 2-3 years. Especially since he doesn't play PG anyway. I also don't see how Harris was ever a reach. In any case, you're entitled to your opinion.

Perk/NWG going pro??? Don't want to derail the thread much more than it already is, but that's a big leap! Love Perks and he'll continue to improve but talk of the league was and continues to be premature, to put it nicely. NWG's injury should caution everyone.

cggonzaga
04-08-2016, 04:50 PM
This is hilarious! You have extremely good sources? Why is almost everything you predict on this board wrong then? Your funny man.

What's Zaga been wrong about DZ? He's about as good a source as we have here. I know many things he's been right about.

doctorzag
04-08-2016, 05:14 PM
What's Zaga been wrong about DZ? He's about as good a source as we have here. I know many things he's been right about.

Go back and check his posts. Its all there. By the way tell me some of the inside info he`s brought to the board?

MDABE80
04-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Actually the value of a poster is not his inside knowledge. ZZ has brought a huge amount of information to the board. Probably too many tidbits to count. He brings knowledge and a certain amount of joy with his pics..... something we could use more of the "joy" part anyway.

cggonzaga
04-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Go back and check his posts. Its all there. By the way tell me some of the inside info he`s brought to the board?

I'm not the one that accused him of false information. You can certainly go back and check. Your loss if you don't want to believe what he has to say.

Zagcity
04-08-2016, 07:46 PM

Can't say I take everything Zaga says hook, line and sinker, but he brings a lot of value to this board.:p

cjm720
04-08-2016, 08:35 PM
It would be great to nab, keep some in state talent.

ZagaZags
04-09-2016, 12:52 AM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-62191-Friends-Ross-Rachel-youre-mean-PUdH.gif http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0n8JC3nb-2Y/TkLC0b2ljdI/AAAAAAAAAVc/CFnfo_EvV8Q/s1600/StewieTotalIdiot.jpg

WallaWallaZag
04-09-2016, 02:01 AM
Norvell played at Simeon, is faster, quicker, more versatile, a better shooter, passer, and ball handler. Norvell is under rated. He's a special player. Where you play does matter, to a certain extent. The competition in Chicago is light years ahead of the Seattle 1A scene. Norvell has a chance to be a second or third year first round pick. All depends on how he approaches his time here. He's that good.

it's certainly possible that norvell is under-rated...but when was the last time a guy from simeon was under-rated??? stars from simeon get a ton of exposure and have probably be seen multiple times by every scout and analyst. a 4 star in the 90-100 range is nothing to sneeze at and indicates someone with nba potential...many analysts agree that from 50 to 100 the difference in talent is so insignificant that it's basically a crapshoot anyways.

the closest gonzaga comp to me for norvell is steven gray...similar size, talent, and rating.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2016, 03:32 AM
it's certainly possible that norvell is under-rated...but when was the last time a guy from simeon was under-rated??? stars from simeon get a ton of exposure and have probably be seen multiple times by every scout and analyst. a 4 star in the 90-100 range is nothing to sneeze at and indicates someone with nba potential...many analysts agree that from 50 to 100 the difference in talent is so insignificant that it's basically a crapshoot anyways.

the closest gonzaga comp to me for norvell is steven gray...similar size, talent, and rating.

Let's hope he tops out higher than SG, however.

WallaWallaZag
04-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Let's hope he tops out higher than SG, however.

no doubt...while still a very good player, sg never fully tapped into his basketball talent, probably due to...well, let's just say a very diverse set of interests...but i think that part was also the reason that made him one of my favorites as well, so...

do want to add that while i obviously hope he eclipses gray, i'm not sure we should be disappointed if norvell puts up similar numbers...especially if it ends up being on better teams.

roughly ~9pts 3rbs 2ast for fresh/soph years on very good teams and ~14pts 4rbs 4ast for both jr./sr. years on average teams is still a pretty nice career.

if my memory serves me correctly, sg's freshman year was the screwed by committee vs. davidson steph curry year and his soph year was the sweet sixteen against a UNC team no one could touch...that gu team had at least elite 8 talent.

23dpg
04-09-2016, 07:21 AM
I have no idea if Kispert will come to Gonzaga or how good he might be. But the notion that he isn't great or won't be due to where he lives and who he currently plays against is ludicrous. Similarly, saying a top 100 prospect is going to be an NBA first rounder partly due to where he played HS is silly, not to mention how it sets up unrealistic expectations for the young man.

I'm thrilled with the players coming to Gonzaga. If Kispert joins the group I will be equally excited. Then I will wait and watch how they develope and base expectations from there.

jrmeehan
04-09-2016, 07:50 AM
I have no idea if Kispert will come to Gonzaga or how good he might be. But the notion that he isn't great or won't be due to where he lives and who he currently plays against is ludicrous. Similarly, saying a top 100 prospect is going to be an NBA first rounder partly due to where he played HS is silly, not to mention how it sets up unrealistic expectations for the young man.

I'm thrilled with the players coming to Gonzaga. If Kispert joins the group I will be equally excited. Then I will wait and watch how they develope and base expectations from there.

Agree with this sentiment. Kispert can absolutely stroke and plays AAU with top 50 kids all year around. I think there is some Matt bouldin potential. Great get if he comes in

roundup
04-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Is watching tape, reality? Just checking. And I really don't care what another coach says, to a certain extent. You're resorting to appeal to authority. I speak for myself. I think for myself. We're taking different approaches. If I was just about trusting what other coaches say and not thinking for myself, i would stop watching tape and posting on message boards as much. At that point we have much less to talk about.

Genuine question: Do you honestly consider Mike Brey and Tony Bennett to be your contemporaries when it comes to evaluating basketball talent?

Can you understand why people might consider these two men, who get paid a combined 4 million dollars a year to coach hoops and have coached numerous NBA players, to be more of an "authority" on basketball than an anonymous message board poster who happens to have the word "coach" in his name?

I'm all for different perspectives, but the condescension regularly contained in your posts is a genuine head scratcher.

MDABE80
04-09-2016, 10:05 AM
roundup! lol poisoning the weeds on a saturday morning!

jimmycarter
04-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Remember the Joe Harris corollary: Give an in-state kid with potential a shot.

DixieZag
04-09-2016, 02:18 PM

You say the smartest sht.

maynard g krebs
04-09-2016, 02:47 PM
In addition to Va and ND, he's being recruited by Utah, USC, and UW. Larry K and Andy Enfield have both quickly made Utah and USC tourney teams, one with a half court, post oriented offense, and the other with a running style

How this relates to Kispert is that both coaches who like to get up and down and those on the other extreme, i.e. Bennett, want this kid. That says to me that he's athletic enough to get up and down with a Romar or Enfield team, and skilled enough to be coveted by coaches who favor a more structured system.

I still see the closest thing to Richie Frahm the Zags have had, from the bit of highlights I've seen. Good reason he's a 4 star. I look at feel for the game more than I worry about "thick legs". Really hope the Zags get him.

sittingon50
04-09-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure I SEE Richie Frahm, but I sure would TAKE one.

GoZags
04-09-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure I SEE Richie Frahm, but I sure would TAKE one.

Richie as a Freshman and Richie as a sophomore would have been eaten alive by some of our message board "experts".

cggonzaga
04-09-2016, 06:59 PM
So true GZ at least athletically. I'm not even sure he could dunk with two hands until he was a junior.

23zagmd
04-11-2016, 07:31 AM
KD was the best player on his team in Idaho and I think a very fair expectation for a kid like Kispert. He has Zag written all over him! does that needs to be done to win. I've refereed his games and my kid played against him that last two years. He can PLAY!

Reborn
04-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Richie as a Freshman and Richie as a sophomore would have been eaten alive by some of our message board "experts".

hahahaha hahahahah hahaha Nice one GoZags!!!

sittingon50
04-11-2016, 11:38 AM
KD was the best player on his team in Idaho and I think a very fair expectation for a kid like Kispert. He has Zag written all over him! does that needs to be done to win. I've refereed his games and my kid played against him that last two years. He can PLAY!

Works for me.

wiszag
04-11-2016, 05:30 PM
If we miss out on the second coming of Joe Harris, I'll be p!ssed. This isn't some diamond in the rough, he has legit teams recruiting him. As a guy who lives 2.5 hours away from Chicago and watched dozens fail on a bigger stage, I don't buy the competition argument. It comes down to talent and adapting your game to the players around you.

HenneZag
04-11-2016, 06:10 PM
If we miss out on the second coming of Joe Harris, I'll be p!ssed. This isn't some diamond in the rough, he has legit teams recruiting him. As a guy who lives 2.5 hours away from Chicago and watched dozens fail on a bigger stage, I don't buy the competition argument. It comes down to talent and adapting your game to the players around you.

+1
Seems like Kispert fits the Zag mold. Can do a bit of everything, high IQ, gritty. I think he would compliment the other guards well.

cggonzaga
04-11-2016, 06:34 PM
+1
Seems like Kispert fits the Zag mold. Can do a bit of everything, high IQ, gritty. I think he would compliment the other guards well.

I know you just pointed out a couple good things about Kispert but I think he's more than just "a Zag". Kid can flat out stroke it and he's also an above average athlete. He isn't just a Pendo or Hart type (not that there's anything wrong with that)

GoZags
04-11-2016, 06:38 PM
I know you just pointed out a couple good things about Kispert but I think he's more than just "a Zag". Kid can flat out stroke it and he's also an above average athlete. He isn't just a Pendo or Hart type (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Agree. His coaches believe he is a 4 year guy and has an incredibly high ceiling.

WallaWallaZag
04-11-2016, 11:18 PM

i think kd was a little more than just the best player on his team...he was the 2-time gatorade player of the year in idaho (granted idaho isn't exactly a hotbed for talent)...even so, some very well respected folks thought he had a chance to become one of the zag greats...not quite, but still a very decent career. kispert looks to be a better shooter, but we'll hafta wait and see.

Reborn
04-13-2016, 06:41 PM
I also will be pissed if we miss out on someone from Washington. The GU program was built on talented players from our state. It's awesome to see how Gonzaga can now recruit World Wide, but please, let's not forget the players who come from the wonderful state of Washington.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
04-13-2016, 09:51 PM
http://youtu.be/p4X7qkAqgRY

DixieZag
04-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Wow. Big strong guy, got up pretty easily, too - way ahead of the curve for a Jr in HS.

nish_mode
04-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Saw Corey play at a tournament in Bellevue on Sunday. His FOH team lost to Washington Elite, but he looked good and he seemed a lot better than I originally thought he was. Great elevation on his jumper. Mark Few and Tommy were in attendance.

sittingon50
04-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks nish.

exclusivelee
04-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Kispert concluded his trip to Notre Dame today & he followed a significant amount of their players on twitter within the last day. A recap of his visit: http://www.scout.com/college/notre-dame/story/1662584-four-star-forward-recaps-nd-official

He'll be at Virginia the next couple days.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160420/ec3b158ef05778e72d397f023b5de1e1.jpg

Zags have been in the best position for his services, but he may not announce his decision for a couple months

23dpg
04-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Corey is on campus today, correct?

sittingon50
04-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Well, turning into a beautiful Parisian day just a bit North of campus.

zagsfanforlife
04-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Between Him, Norvell, Wade, Perkins, Melson, and Collins--- it'll be bombs away, lights out from three.

Richie Frahm 2.0 here. Him and Wade have two of the more pristine looking jumpers there are, and Norvell is right there from a lefty side.

DixieZag
04-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Well, turning into a beautiful Parisian day just a bit North of campus.

Wonderful afternoon. High 60s, sun shining, gentle breeze, campus looks gorgeous.

This must be high character guy. Some of the best overall coaches - people that pick good people - want him.

Thank you Nish for the insight.

Maybe impulse might not be such an evil today (if he's on campus).

zagfan08
04-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Been watching him for years. Great family. Should be our top target and apparently is considering Few has been at BCC the last two Saturdays.

cggonzaga
04-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Between Him, Norvell, Wade, Perkins, Melson, and Collins--- it'll be bombs away, lights out from three.

Richie Frahm 2.0 here. Him and Wade have two of the more pristine looking jumpers there are, and Norvell is right there from a lefty side.

I like the Frahm comparison but I think Kispert is much more athletically gifted. For me he's a mix of Frahm and Joe Harris. Lofty comparison I know but I believe he's on that level.

Bogozags
04-27-2016, 09:02 AM
I like the Frahm comparison but I think Kispert is much more athletically gifted. For me he's a mix of Frahm and Joe Harris. Lofty comparison I know but I believe he's on that level.

Let's hope we can land him!

Kiddwell
04-27-2016, 10:16 AM
So, is the young man on campus? If so, any reports? :drool:

:]

MDABE80
04-27-2016, 11:00 AM
I think we might be "old hat" for a kid inside the state. In some ways we may not have the "zizzle" of a Notre Dame, etc. When the distant and new lands call, this kid may not stay at home for reasons outside basketball.

3XaZag
04-27-2016, 11:15 AM
I think we might be "old hat" for a kid inside the state. In some ways we may not have the "zizzle" of a Notre Dame, etc. When the distant and new lands call, this kid may not stay at home for reasons outside basketball.

We also may not have the 'dome', the 'bascilica', the 'grotto', the 'Gipper', the 'Stadium', 'Rockne', 'Leahy', 'Holtz', 'Rudy', 'touchdown Jesus', or that fight song......they even have their own bloody boxed set of Trivial Pursuit cards (on the upper shelf of my bedroom closet) !!! All this is just to give definition to historical zizzle....then the two straight Elite Eights makes the contemporary argument.

One could probably do something like this list for all the Big 5+ schools...which is why it has been so amazing what Fewie has been able to do here, and the recruits we have been able to get. At Gonzaga he gets to be part of a story that, if your think about it, is just as amazing as what built that small mid-western college into something more..while its still happening...and be a big name on the biggest sports program on campus vs. the poor sister to the helmuts.

GoZags
04-27-2016, 11:26 AM

"Sizzle" CAN be important with some ... but OTOH if a kid has a strong, close family there's an innate incentive to stay fairly close to home ... thus allowing the opportunity for parents/siblings/friends to attend many of his home games.

MDABE80
04-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I hope you're right GZ . I want this young fella to be with us. Good for the community and better for the team. He's a terrific prospect. He's got everything we need to go with Norvell. A tight end with great basketball skills and hops to boot.

23dpg
04-28-2016, 07:20 AM
No word on his visit?

Kiddwell
04-28-2016, 08:23 AM
No word on his visit?

+1

exclusivelee
04-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Kispert followed the following Zags on twitter within the last 24 hours:

Josh Perkins
Nigel Williams-Goss
Jeremy Jones
Przemek Karnowski
David Stockton
Kyle Dranginis
Domantas Sabonis

He had also followed 6 Virginia players & 5 Notre Dame players upon visiting those schools last week

strikenowhere
04-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Kispert followed the following Zags on twitter within the last 24 hours:

Josh Perkins
Nigel Williams-Goss
Jeremy Jones
Przemek Karnowski
David Stockton
Kyle Dranginis
Domantas Sabonis

He had also followed 6 Virginia players & 5 Notre Dame players upon visiting those schools last week

7 > 6 > 5....Zags must have impressed him the most! :p

MDABE80
04-28-2016, 10:09 AM
From what I've been told, he's not a lock for us but is majorly leaning our way. SO that's good.

Salsageek
04-28-2016, 10:56 AM
7 > 6 > 5....Zags must have impressed him the most! :p

Hahaha I like your thinking!

Goshzagit
04-28-2016, 02:19 PM
From what I've been told, he's not a lock for us but is majorly leaning our way. SO that's good.

Heard the same thing....3 wks ago.

Not so sure now.

Hope its still the case, would be a major coup.

Haven't heard a peep since Notre Dame visit...lends me to believe he fancied South Bend, but still don't know -- will ask around again soon.

*crossing fingers*

Goshzagit
04-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Gotta wonder if Virgnia and Coach Bennett will officially offer Kispert?

I'm sure its a matter of time.

They've shown interest, invited him on campus (which he jumped at), yet have not extended him a schollie offer.

Interesting...

exclusivelee
04-28-2016, 03:42 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1664850-top-2017-recruit-visits-gonzaga