PDA

View Full Version : Corey Kispert Offered by Gonzaga - 2017 6'6 wing - Kings HS (WA)

Pages : 1 [2]

Zagdawg
04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Eric Wade ‏@ejwade7 1h1 hour ago
@corey_kispert I sent @jessewade10 some of your highlights on his mission in France and he told me to tell you to #ZagUp #Zags #Teammates

MDABE80
04-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Alright!!!!!!!!!!!! That young man on mission is the one I'm waiting for. Good to know Coerey's making friends with our guys as we inch toward a committment.

Coach Crazy
04-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Alright!!!!!!!!!!!! That young man on mission is the one I'm waiting for. Good to know Coerey's making friends with our guys as we inch toward a committment.

Will be interesting to see how they want to use him. He's not going to be much of a dribble-drive threat at the college level against Big5 talent (and some mid major talent), and he's not going to have too much success defending 2's and 3's on the wing without some help D. Then again, you may not need him to do much of the dribble drive stuff with how much the offense will go through Wade, Norvell, and Collins.

He look's like he's filled out, but it would be a blessing for this kid if he hit 6'8" or so. Would fit his frame a bit more.

Coach Crazy
04-29-2016, 02:58 PM

Jesse Wade has the potential to make all the Pangoites happy, again. Gamer. Absolute gamer. Let's say they get Kispert. Kispert, Wade, Perkins, Norvell, and Collins can all shoot the 3...well. I'm still not a Kispert fan, but that would be the most offensively potent and versatile team we have ever seen.

jazzdelmar
04-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Jesse Wade has the potential to make all the Pangoites happy, again. Gamer. Absolute gamer. Let's say they get Kispert. Kispert, Wade, Perkins, Norvell, and Collins can all shoot the 3...well. I'm still not a Kispert fan, but that would be the most offensively potent and versatile team we have ever seen.

Welcome back, Mr Kotter.

exclusivelee
04-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Eric Wade ‏@ejwade7 1h1 hour ago
@corey_kispert I sent @jessewade10 some of your highlights on his mission in France and he told me to tell you to #ZagUp #Zags #Teammates
And Kispert followed Jesse Wade on twitter today after that tweet

MDABE80
04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
I have a feeling that Wade will be one of the finest distributors and shooter we'll see in a while. He's got all facets of the game covered as a PG. He'll drive well enough...........but his distributing will be key to our success. Great tools at 6 2.

cggonzaga
04-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Hey Coach? How many times do you want to write about not liking Kispert? Does it make you feel good? Afraid people don't know you don't like him? I'll go with Few, Bray and Bennett over you on this. But please keep telling us how you don't like him. Will make you look that much brighter when he's tearing it up in college!

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Hey Coach? How many times do you want to write about not liking Kispert? Does it make you feel good? Afraid people don't know you don't like him? I'll go with Few, Bray and Bennett over you on this. But please keep telling us how you don't like him. Will make you look that much brighter when he's tearing it up in college!

Yeah, talk about beating a dead horse. He should email Mike Brey and Tony Bennett and tell them what a mistake they're making by courting this guy.

roundup
04-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Yeah, talk about beating a dead horse. He should email Mike Brey and Tony Bennett and tell them what a mistake they're making by courting this guy.

Don't you guys realize that as a fellow coach, crazy's opinion is just as valid if not superior to those of Brey and Bennett?!

Coach Crazy
04-30-2016, 05:25 AM
I have a feeling that Wade will be one of the finest distributors and shooter we'll see in a while. He's got all facets of the game covered as a PG. He'll drive well enough...........but his distributing will be key to our success. Great tools at 6 2.

I think he is going to be a very good Zag. He is a Coach Few-type guard. Having said that, I will preface my next statement with "I don't know how his career here will end end". Just based on tape of both as high school seniors, I would say that Jesse is more athletic and dynamic with regard to his skills set and on-court style than KP was.

Whether or not that will translate to the college level and how much, has yet to be seen. But Coach Few and Co. brought in 3 elite players at PG, SG, and F that are all very talented, used to be leaders, very dynamic, and unselfish. 2017 and 2018 are going to be some years...

thespywhozaggedme
04-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Don't you guys realize that as a fellow coach, crazy's opinion is just as valid if not superior to those of Brey and Bennett?!

:roll::roll::roll:

DixieZag
04-30-2016, 06:54 AM
Wade isn't as tall as Kispert (right?) but in Wade's tapes I noticed that his elevation on a jump shot is as high as I have seen since ... (sorry)... Jimmer, seems it will allow him to play a little taller offensively.

zagsfanforlife
04-30-2016, 08:11 AM
Wade isn't as tall as Kispert (right?) but in Wade's tapes I noticed that his elevation on a jump shot is as high as I have seen since ... (sorry)... Jimmer, seems it will allow him to play a little taller offensively.

Bombs away with Norvell, Kispert, Wade and Collins.. not to mention JWIII pounding inside and the international kids stepping up by that time...

The future is bright! Oh and NWG former Pac 10 stud will be a senior...

ZagsGoZags
04-30-2016, 03:24 PM
There have been a few comments worrying about Jesse's height.

I am assuming these anticipated handicaps coming from Wade's shortness of stature, would not allow me to compare him to John Stockton and Bob Cousy who were listed at 6'1" because they were too tall. Even though short usually means big trouble for a BB player, not always, so I have to wait and see if Wade becomes great anyway. Also some sites list Jesse as 5'11" or 6 feet, while other mentions put him at 6'1" but I will ignore that to make my point. There have been a number of NBA greats who were Wade's size or smaller, and I'll go by their height in order.
5'3" Muggsy Bogues
5'5" Earl Beykins
5'9" Nate Robinson
5'9" Calvin Murhphy
5'9" Isaiah Thomas
5'10" Ralph Beard
5'10" Avery Johnson
5'10" Damon Stoudamire

these are great NBA pros, I can't even get into the scores of Great college guards shorter than Jesse Wade
but above all, at this point, I am not willing to discount Wade's contributions to the zags AT ALL, based on his shortness,
I would call it a possible problem, but not a probable problem.
I would give it a bit of worry if our only other starting guard was of the same height, but that is not our situation

I am not as concerned as some seem to be about his ability to help the zags based on his height of 5'11" or 6' whatever it is.

gonzagafan62
04-30-2016, 05:50 PM

I am assuming these anticipated handicaps coming from Wade's shortness of stature, would not allow me to compare him to John Stockton and Bob Cousy who were listed at 6'1" because they were too tall. Even though short usually means big trouble for a BB player, not always, so I have to wait and see if Wade becomes great anyway. Also some sites list Jesse as 5'11" or 6 feet, while other mentions put him at 6'1" but I will ignore that to make my point. There have been a number of NBA greats who were Wade's size or smaller, and I'll go by their height in order.
5'3" Muggsy Bogues
5'5" Earl Beykins
5'9" Nate Robinson
5'9" Calvin Murhphy
5'9" Isaiah Thomas
5'10" Ralph Beard
5'10" Avery Johnson
5'10" Damon Stoudamire

these are great NBA pros, I can't even get into the scores of Great college guards shorter than Jesse Wade
but above all, at this point, I am not willing to discount Wade's contributions to the zags AT ALL, based on his shortness,
I would give it a bit of worry if our only other starting guard was of the same height, but that is not our situation

I am not as concerned as some seem to be about his ability to help the zags based on his height of 5'11" or 6' whatever it is.

Size never matters to me. Play on the court does. Anyone who hasn't watched his highlights and is only criticizing based on size needs to wake up. Kid can play. Intangibles, will and winning are hard to equate for. This kid has "it"

exclusivelee
04-30-2016, 07:14 PM

Jesse was at least 6 foot (barefoot) in June 2014 and at least 6'1" in shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMDwSKsVOk

Not expecting him to be as much of a distributor as some expect here, but he should definitely be able to find a way to make quite a few 3's with his smooth release and great lift on his shot

roundup
04-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Having stood next to him on several occasions, Mickey McConnell is 5'11 on his tippi toes.

Vanzagger
04-30-2016, 07:44 PM

5'3" Muggsy Bogues
5'5" Earl Beykins
5'9" Nate Robinson
5'9" Calvin Murhphy
5'9" Isaiah Thomas
5'10" Ralph Beard
5'10" Avery Johnson
5'10" Damon Stoudamire

Off memory I believe Nate was part of a Championship team in Boston, ironically playing with the "Big Three". Avery Johnson had one playing with Sean Elliot, Duncan, and the General. The latter two being 2 of the best centers ever.

Many analysts are calling Isaiah Thomas a "Super Star" these days. Yawn. If he made everyone around him better it might translate to the post season. I hope Boston ships him to his 4th team.

Don't get all sensitive or worried if you root for players because they are small. The rules of the game are changing to make it less physical. Now we have to get players "who are good in space".

And you don't have to name the NCAA teams that won championships with 6ft guards. The next 7 guys average 6'8 and play above the rim.

seacatfan
04-30-2016, 08:01 PM
And you don't have to name the NCAA teams that won championships with 6ft guards. The next 7 guys average 6'8 and play above the rim.

Well despite you telling us all not to, I'm going to anyway. UConn has won 2 Titles fairly recently with small guards. They won those title primarily BECAUSE of those small guards. The 6-8 and taller guys were role players. It was all about the guards hitting 3s and breaking down defenders to get to the rim or drive and dish to teammates.

willandi
05-01-2016, 05:30 AM
Now we have to get players "who are good in space".

Don't we still play on Earth?

basketballzag
05-01-2016, 07:28 AM
It is debatable as to whether Collins will be here for his Soph year. I think he has the tools to be our first one and done. Not saying it is going to happen but odds are stacked higher for him than any other GU player in history. That being said there is a premium learning under the Few system for 2-3 years

raise the zag
05-01-2016, 07:44 AM
It is debatable as to whether Collins will be here for his Soph year. I think he has the tools to be our first one and done. Not saying it is going to happen but odds are stacked higher for him than any other GU player in history. That being said there is a premium learning under the Few system for 2-3 years

incredibly rapid development would need to occur, and just might, given he'll be a likely starter next season.

I foresee a meteoric sophomore year jump.

Collins does not have as many crafty post moves or strength as Sabonis at the same age, not even close; however, Collins DOES feature more length, raw athleticism, rim protection, ball skills, and a wee bit more polish than Domas at the same age. Skill probably on the same level.

Zach has a ways to go in the strength department to compete for rebounds at a high level. He has great instincts and ethic, but can be muscled out of the paint pretty easily vs other bigs. He's good rebounder, but not elite like Sabonis.

It will be key how Collins grows into his body. His athleticism is directly related to perfect playing weight. Sabonis was stronger than he looked, and has a frame/game to put on muscle weight. Collins, not as much. He's more wiry and long, similar to Heytvelt in that way. He can rely on said length & underrated athleticism for defense and scoring. Larsen, the other frosh big, is another example whose frame is perfect for weight/muscle gain. Collins will need to gain strength/muscle SLOWLY, otherwise it could hinder his ability some.

Collins will need to work on lean muscle, strength, etc. Keep him active, and blocking shots. I have a feeling Travis Knight understands this --- and how to adapt to certain body types.

Collins is a fantastic talent, yet could he body up a Poetl(NBA big) underneath? He will be looked at as a stretch center and/or forward due to his size. As much talent and fundamental bball he flashed during McDonald's AA game, he was pushed around quite easily by fellow bigs. Muscled down low, etc. He has good form, feel, length, athleticism, skills, versatility, and could become a go-to player as early as next season, but his body isn't ready -- even as a developmental player.

At least 2 yrs will be needed to get Collins ready to contribute at the next level.

DixieZag
05-01-2016, 09:05 AM
At least 2 yrs will be needed to get Collins ready to contribute at the next level.

Respectfully, is that ever a question? I have heard much about the NBA now being far more like the baseball draft. That teams draft on potential to sign that 3 year contract and what can be contributed after that? In terms of size, seems like most college kids are undersized until 24-27 years old.

jazzdelmar
05-01-2016, 09:08 AM

Agree BBZ and when posted that I was roundly excoriated. Check the threads. I got that assessment from a rival D1 head coach. So prepare for flat earthers reply.

raise the zag
05-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Respectfully, is that ever a question? I have heard much about the NBA now being far more like the baseball draft. That teams draft on potential to sign that 3 year contract and what can be contributed after that? In terms of size, seems like most college kids are undersized until 24-27 years old.

Let's just say, Domas was ready before Collins will be…Domas coulda made the jump at 17, quite honestly, Collins is also almost a year older than Domas when he'll be a frosh at GU.

As I stated in my post, 'at the same age', Collins is well behind Sabonis in terms of "readiness" and strength and repertoire of moves.

There are areas where Collins is better, yet point is, Collins won't be ready for a couple seasons, unless drafted on potential alone.

Domas just used his sophomore season to show what he already had on film -- mid-range shot, dribble-drive, and received the minutes to prove it.

Collins will be handed the starting job on a silver platter, while Sabonis had to earn it, or at the expense of injury.

DixieZag
05-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Let's just say, Domas was ready before Collins will be…Domas coulda made the jump at 17, quite honestly, Collins is also almost a year older than Domas when he'll be a frosh at GU.

As I stated in my post, 'at the same age', Collins is well behind Sabonis in terms of "readiness" and strength and repertoire of moves.

There are areas where Collins is better, yet point is, Collins won't be ready for a couple seasons, unless drafted on potential alone.

Domas just used his sophomore season to show what he already had on film -- mid-range shot, dribble-drive, and received the minutes to prove it.

Collins will be handed the starting job on a silver platter, while Sabonis had to earn it, or at the expense of injury.

I wasn't even meaning to compare the two of them, only asking regarding whether immediate readiness factored much into the NBA draft for anyone ever.

Yes, Collins will be thrown straight into the fire, but I submit that it is only b/c he doesn't have a Jr. Karno and Jr. Wiltjer standing in front of him when he walks on campus. It will be out of necessity, not lack of earning anything or such. I hope he's ready b/c I can't see Karno coming back and being the same guy from opening week, perhaps he can play himself back to where he was or better, but it doesn't feel like it will happen in the first week of November, if ever.

jchocolate99
05-01-2016, 09:28 PM

If Karnowski comes back Collins isn't starting over JW3... tap the breaks on the Collins starting thing

jimmycarter
05-01-2016, 09:36 PM
So...Kispert.

23dpg
05-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Yeah Kispert. I'm surprised we've heard next to nothing on his visit.

exclusivelee
05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Kispert talks trip to Gonzaga:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/5/2/11565468/corey-kispert-recaps-his-gonzaga-visit

raise the zag
05-02-2016, 08:40 AM
If Karnowski comes back Collins isn't starting over JW3... tap the breaks on the Collins starting thing

meanwhile, numerous posters declaring Collins as our first 'one and done' and I'm the one who needs to 'tap the brakes'.

:roll:

DixieZag
05-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Kispert talks trip to Gonzaga:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016/5/2/11565468/corey-kispert-recaps-his-gonzaga-visit

Other than coming out and saying "I am signing here," I can't think of a way it could sound better.

I'll bet he signs here.

23dpg
05-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I hope you're right DixieZag. I didn't get a feel for it one way or another. Three pretty good basketball and academic schools for the young man to chooses from. It does seem like he's going to pick a school soon. That will be good either way. He chooses Gonzaga, big win. He chooses UVA or ND, Gonzaga has time to move to another player.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Other than coming out and saying "I am signing here," I can't think of a way it could sound better.

I'll bet he signs here.

Boy I wish I could see what you apparently see between the lines in that piece...I see three pretty equal options but with three very different environments..

jazzdelmar
05-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Can't see that happening for any number of reasons, most important of which is talent. The Karno-love here is nice and he's a great kid, but he is just a very good college player, while ZC is a short term Zag (let's just leave it at that). Yes, Sabonis came off the bench, for more than half his career, which in retrospect is now laughable.

MDABE80
05-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Can't see that happening for any number of reasons, most important of which is talent. The Karno-love here is nice and he's a great kid, but he is just a very good college player, while ZC is a short term Zag (let's just leave it at that). Yes, Sabonis came off the bench, for more than half his career, which in retrospect is now laughable.

The only way Collins doesn't start s if he needs a few minute to watch. We've had this before where a kid waits a few minute , then goes in.
Putting things in perspective:
When you have an McDonalds AA, you get that hoss in the game and let him do what he does best. Moreso when he's a 7 ft big and we're short of bigs. We would be a laughing stock if Collins sits on some long piece of pine.......just waiting. THis is not the type of player who just waits for his chance. In the end, I'd think WIlliams III and Collins are the two bigs we use primarily.

DixieZag
05-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Boy I wish I could see what you apparently see between the lines in that piece...I see three pretty equal options but with three very different environments..

I am placing my hope (calling my shot) on the fact that he stressed "the guys" - b/c, yes, the three programs are near all equal options (except conference), all good academics, facilities - but there's only one that is a 4-5 hr drive from home, and one (that we know of) where he stressed how much he liked being around the guys, how it complied with what he saw in the HBO series - which he watched, soooo...

I am just hoping that he wants to be close enough his family could see him play, and if it felt right. He hit all the right buzzwords.

exclusivelee
05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Kispert did talk about his Virginia visit here: http://chat.virginia.sportswar.com/mid/7625282/board/basketball/

But article hidden behind a paywall

jazzdelmar
05-02-2016, 01:55 PM
I am placing my hope (calling my shot) on the fact that he stressed "the guys" - b/c, yes, the three programs are near all equal options (except conference), all good academics, facilities - but there's only one that is a 4-5 hr drive from home, and one (that we know of) where he stressed how much he liked being around the guys, how it complied with what he saw in the HBO series - which he watched, soooo...

I am just hoping that he wants to be close enough his family could see him play, and if it felt right. He hit all the right buzzwords.

Frank Luntz's got nothing on you.

DixieZag
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Frank Luntz's got nothing on you.

:)

I do worry about the conference thing. You know they drilled him with "ACC play..." and "do you really want to be playing in Stockton on a Sat night when you could be in Durham or Chapel Hill?"

I still think.. well, we'll see.

GoZags
05-03-2016, 06:14 AM
:)

we'll see.

Yes ... we'll soon see.

It's my belief that a half a tank of gas (vs a 5+ hour flight) for family and friends to see him play will be the difference maker.

Bogozags
05-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Yes ... we'll soon see.

It's my belief that a half a tank of gas (vs a 5+ hour flight) for family and friends to see him play will be the difference maker.

After reading the article on his visit, I also think that "short" drive will be a difference maker; however, I felt the same with KW and his many visits to GU.

cbbfanatic
05-03-2016, 08:15 AM
calling all 3 main options as solid academic institutions, as if they're on the same level, seems a bit delusional or disingenuous to me.

sure, they are all good academic schools, but lets be honest here, UVA and ND are in a much higher tier

DukeSilver
05-03-2016, 09:08 AM
calling all 3 main options as solid academic institutions, as if they're on the same level, seems a bit delusional or disingenuous to me.

sure, they are all good academic schools, but lets be honest here, UVA and ND are in a much higher tier

Notre Dame and Virginia are both top-tier research institutions, and therefore offer a very different student experience than GU does ... In an overall perspective, it would be fair to say that ND and UVA are objectively "better" academic institutions than GU. But one should also recognize that a large part of where those schools outstrip GU is at the graduate level and in research productivity, neither of which are particularly relevant to the vast majority of undergrads.

Just my two cents.

cbbfanatic
05-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Notre Dame and Virginia are both top-tier research institutions, and therefore offer a very different student experience than GU does ... In an overall perspective, it would be fair to say that ND and UVA are objectively "better" academic institutions than GU. But one should also recognize that a large part of where those schools outstrip GU is at the graduate level and in research productivity, neither of which are particularly relevant to the vast majority of undergrads.

Just my two cents.

you're right that those schools both boast very solid graduate programs, but they also excel in undergrad.

it's just one service and a ranking of one school within the schools, but i very recently saw a bloomberg ranking of top undergrad business schools (and i actually liked the criteria, seemed to be very "real world"), and ND and UVA were both top 5 (villanova, ND, BC, Indiana, UVA were the top 5). GU didnt make the top 100 or 150 (forget where they cut off the list). again, just one ranking and one school/discipline, but the results aren't entirely atypical to other undergrad rankings you will see. ND and UVA are excellent universities on both levels. they're also both in the acc

gotta hope this kid wants to stay regional, or sees a better path to PT at GU. if he's hinging his decision on academics or conference affiliation, those two are going to be extremely tough to beat

Zagceo
05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Gotta like the coaches better IMHO....if he picks GU....first praise will be about coaches.

If he picks ND or UVA first Praise will be academics.

jazzdelmar
05-03-2016, 11:45 AM

So to rectify the delusional comments you are doubling down on the self evident. Why the self flagellation?

cbbfanatic
05-03-2016, 11:51 AM
So to rectify the delusional comments you are doubling down on the self evident. Why the self flagellation?

i'm missing the self flagellation part...

MDABE80
05-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Yes ... we'll soon see.

We have a winner here. THIS is a big reason he'll be a Zag. It's already in the stars. The moniker on a school matters to an extent. But think for a minute, ND may mean something for the West Coast. Virginia ( i've spend time there lecturing and developing a catheter.) really means a lot in the East but not so much out here. Spectacular old buildings. This kid wants to be a west coast/northwest dweller though. GU is very well known across the country.. We do good work . Very good undergrad work.
Lots of this depends on his comfort level. Close family who loves watching Corey play. We are a national brand, we're usually ranked and we national TV plus we're closer. I do think we have a winner in GZ's post. Soon we'll know.

cbbfanatic
05-03-2016, 12:25 PM
We have a winner here. THIS is a big reason he'll be a Zag. It's already in the stars. The moniker on a school matters to an extent. But think for a minute, ND may mean something for the West Coast. Virginia ( i've spend time there lecturing and developing a catheter.) really means a lot in the East but not so much out here. Spectacular old buildings. This kid wants to be a west coast/northwest dweller though. GU is very well known across the country.. We do good work . Very good undergrad work.
Lots of this depends on his comfort level. Close family who loves watching Corey play. We are a national brand, we're usually ranked and we national TV plus we're closer. I do think we have a winner in GZ's post. Soon we'll know.

do we KNOW he wants to stay close, or are we speculating? from his list of 3, it's hard to say.

believe it or not, a lot of kids want to go (far) away for college - and i think this preference is likely growing. some want to experience other areas, cities, etc, especially when they see themselves eventually settling down nearer to home

i admit, i havent read the entire thread, but looking very surface level, its hard to draw the iron clad conclusion that this kid has a strong preference to stay close. if he did, why UVA or ND in the first place?

Goshzagit
05-03-2016, 01:43 PM
He was a big fan of Notre Dame. Fancied his visit in South Bend.

School, fan base, academics, & communal campus/town gown relations.

I think he'll be a Zag when the dust settles but I heard he loved his time there...

GoZags
05-03-2016, 01:59 PM
do we KNOW he wants to stay close, or are we speculating? from his list of 3, it's hard to say.

To some, these kids are names/stats on the internet or maybe info is gleaned from a video or two. To others, the kids "may" be part of the same community ... have common family friends ... know people in the same circles.... know people within a kid's "sphere of influence". Thus, there are times when these messages boards "may" offer "insight" or "educated speculation" that ISN'T something that's been posted somewhere on an internet site.

In this case ... it is my belief that Corey has close family and friends that WOULD enjoy watching him throughout his 4 years of college.... and that the kid would enjoy playing in front of family and friends.

Of course, nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag .... but even Dawgman.com has been reporting that Corey is a HEAVY lean to Gonzaga.

MDABE80
05-03-2016, 02:03 PM

believe it or not, a lot of kids want to go (far) away for college - and i think this preference is likely growing. some want to experience other areas, cities, etc, especially when they see themselves eventually settling down nearer to home

i admit, i havent read the entire thread, but looking very surface level, its hard to draw the iron clad conclusion that this kid has a strong preference to stay close. if he did, why UVA or ND in the first place?

Yes. We do.

jazzdelmar
05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
CBB, I said self flagellation since it seems you keep beating on the self evident truth that by most standard, objective criteria ND and UVA are outstanding institutions that would appear higher than GU on most rankings. I don't see how that advances the point. Kids choose on any number of factors and I suspect your criteria would differ from this young man's. Perhaps self flagellation is too stark a term; damning GU with faint praise may be more accurate. Again, what's the point except to go on and on about obvious differences among the schools. Jazzdelmar, out!

gonzagafan62
05-03-2016, 03:20 PM
CBB, I said self flagellation since it seems you keep beating on the self evident truth that by most standard, objective criteria ND and UVA are outstanding institutions that would appear higher than GU on most rankings. I don't see how that advances the point. Kids choose on any number of factors and I suspect your criteria would differ from this young man's. Perhaps self flagellation is too stark a term; damning GU with faint praise may be more accurate. Again, what's the point except to go on and on about obvious differences among the schools. Jazzdelmar, out!

Black Mamba would be proud. Obama would chuckle.

gonzagafan62 out!

Vanzagger
05-03-2016, 05:18 PM

At the end of Karno's soph year he was playing as good as any big in the country. Seems he played very well vs Duke in last year's Elite Eight. At least he stoned Okafor. When it counts the most.....down the stretch.....he's delivered. I wonder if he hadn't had to wait for Kelly Olynyk to finish up how he would have been as a Freshmen.

So we may get him a 5th year. My only expectation is that we support him and are patient.

exclusivelee
05-03-2016, 05:43 PM
New article:

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1666716-priority-2017-recruit-recaps-visit

Sounds like Kispert is very comfortable with his likely future teammates. Don't particularly like that the staff told him they envision him to have a comparable role to Dranginis

willandi
05-03-2016, 06:00 PM
New article:

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1666716-priority-2017-recruit-recaps-visit

Sounds like Kispert is very comfortable with his likely future teammates. Don't particularly like that the staff told him they envision him to have a comparable role to Dranginis

I thought it said that he would play, coming off screens etc., like Drangs...not in the role that Drangs played.

DixieZag
05-03-2016, 06:09 PM
At the end of Karno's soph year he was playing as good as any big in the country. Seems he played very well vs Duke in last year's Elite Eight. At least he stoned Okafor. When it counts the most.....down the stretch.....he's delivered. I wonder if he hadn't had to wait for Kelly Olynyk to finish up how he would have been as a Freshmen.

So we may get him a 5th year. My only expectation is that we support him and are patient.

Karno did seem to play well in the "biggest" games.

Some "sort of big" games could be frustrating. But, as I recall, the very late ones in the season brought out his best.

GU has a lot to offer Kispert. I sense the distinctions most people around the country might make are based on conferences more than comparison of the actual schools. Put it this way, I like what GZ is saying, and I like that the kid truly can't lose - which means he's one thoughtful person, already.

cjm720
05-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I thought it said that he would play, coming off screens etc., like Drangs...not in the role that Drangs played.

Well, he said both....not something IMO you want to highlight to a "priority" recruit. Come here for 5 years and start for almost one whole year!!! I have a feeling the gist was more of style of play, intuition.

Reading between the lines, it's down to us and Norte Dame.

23dpg
05-03-2016, 07:02 PM

That's his shtick.

Goshzagit
05-03-2016, 09:01 PM
I think Dranginis is a great comparison to Corey.

Their games are nearly identical.

That said, Corey is much stronger than Kyle, & his rebounding is on level with Senior-yr Dranginis.

Kyle is better than many give him credit for -- and a baller. Just never the "needed" option. When called upon he held his own, and owned the "glue guy" role and structure.

Dranginis was incredibly dominant at the HS level. Just like Corey. Scored at will.

Remember when we played that D2 team & Kyle put up 30+?

I have a feeling Kyle will soar in Europe. Combo guard who can do it all. Literally. Defends, rebounds, shoots, hustles, slashes, etc.

Back to Kispert, he should feel greatful he's being compared to Kyle, and used in similar fashion. He may never be the defender as Kyle, but given his growth, frame, shooting ability, & smarts, he can be better overall.

Also, more combo-forward than combo-guard like Draino, thus even more versatile.

I expect big things if he chooses us. His shooting ability alone makes us better in '17. Add in that he can mix it up around the hoop, and an ever increasing mid-range game, he would he perfect in our system. Good passer too which isn't mentioned much.

Corey would be a terrific get. His game is very similar to Drainginis right now, but feel it will change as he continues to grow. He's already 6'6", 215. He still plays more like a guard, but growing into a small to stretch power forward hybrid. I think he'll be best suited at that role in college.

Kispert will evolve. Dranginis just got better at what he already did, which was anything the team needed.

Sidenote: Kyle's "practice/pick-up" game is highly admired and thought of by his teammates. He can street-ball with the best of em, from what I heard via Dower.

cggonzaga
05-03-2016, 10:59 PM
I agree with some others that this was more a "how we used Kyle" vs a Draino comparison. They're completely different players imo. Kyle scored at will in high school because he was bigger and more athletic than anybody he played. He was never a consistent shooter even in high school. Kispert can stroke it. They're both good athletes but in different ways. Kispert has bigger hops but Kyle probably moves his feet better. Would love to see Kispert coming off and reading screens with the way he shoots it. I see more of a Wally Szerbiak comparison myself.

TheZagster
05-04-2016, 03:50 AM
Jesse was at least 6 foot (barefoot) in June 2014 and at least 6'1" in shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMDwSKsVOk

Not expecting him to be as much of a distributor as some expect here, but he should definitely be able to find a way to make quite a few 3's with his smooth release and great lift on his shot

I just spoke with Jesse's father and he said Jesse is closer to 6'2" now. He was 6'1" when he left so he said he is growing just a little but is filling out nicely and he accelerated his high school courses to graduate early (3.995 GPA) at the hardest academic high school in Utah. He will get home at the first of April and has given himself 2 1/2 extra months to get in shape before he steps onto campus in July for summer school. His dad said he is loving his mission but is frothing at the bit to represent Gonzaga. There's lots of talk here in Utah about BYU scheming a way to get him to go to Provo especially now that they had a scholly open up again that year from a guard. Jesse's dad said he has heard from BYU coaches but Jesse wants to be the MormonZag on campus and can't wait to get back with the guys. He REALLY REALLY wants to be part of the first Zag team to make the Final Four and beyond if they don't make it this next year. Knowing Jesse personally, and as was stated earlier by someone else, Jesse is a winner in every way and Zag nation is going to LOVE what he will bring to the table.

bartruff1
05-04-2016, 05:28 AM
Well there are two ends of the court, I have read nothing in here (that I recall) about Wade's ability to defend the elite guards we often face in the non conference, many of whom are well over six feet and very strong.

strikenowhere
05-04-2016, 06:31 AM
I just spoke with Jesse's father and he said Jesse is closer to 6'2" now. He was 6'1" when he left so he said he is growing just a little but is filling out nicely and he accelerated his high school courses to graduate early (3.995 GPA) at the hardest academic high school in Utah. He will get home at the first of April and has given himself 2 1/2 extra months to get in shape before he steps onto campus in July for summer school. His dad said he is loving his mission but is frothing at the bit to represent Gonzaga. There's lots of talk here in Utah about BYU scheming a way to get him to go to Provo especially now that they had a scholly open up again that year from a guard. Jesse's dad said he has heard from BYU coaches but Jesse wants to be the MormonZag on campus and can't wait to get back with the guys. He REALLY REALLY wants to be part of the first Zag team to make the Final Four and beyond if they don't make it this next year. Knowing Jesse personally, and as was stated earlier by someone else, Jesse is a winner in every way and Zag nation is going to LOVE what he will bring to the table.

How difficult is the transition back into playing organized competitive basketball after his mission? My admittedly limited knowledge of Mormon missions tells me that he'd really only get to play some basketball once a week or so? It seems like its going to take him a while to get back in the groove, although BYU guys do it all the time so it must not be that bad a transition back.

Hoopaholic
05-04-2016, 06:37 AM

one would think that is inappropriate contact for another school to be reaching out to a young man who has committed...but I don't know the exact rules

I cant wait to see this young man in a zag uniform

CDC84
05-04-2016, 07:40 AM
It would be inappropriate contact if Wade has signed an LOI with Gonzaga. I don't recall if he has.

strikenowhere
05-04-2016, 07:59 AM
It would be inappropriate contact if Wade has signed an LOI with Gonzaga. I don't recall if he has.

He did, but the page on GoZags.com no longer works...its explicitly mentioned in a thread about national signing day a couple of years ago.

exclusivelee
05-04-2016, 08:52 AM
He did, but the page on GoZags.com no longer works...its explicitly mentioned in a thread about national signing day a couple of years ago.
Working page: http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111214aaa.html

ZagsGoZags
05-04-2016, 09:16 AM
one would think that is inappropriate contact for another school to be reaching out to a young man who has committed...but I don't know the exact rules

I cant wait to see this young man in a zag uniform

Agree. It is worth the wait. He expresses a lot of energy for us, like Zach Collins. I hope we are continuing to send him lots of energy.
Ask BYU fans. The wait for Tyler Hawes seemed to go on forever. then there was the two year wait for Kyle Collingsworth. This will date me, but ask the Cowboys if they hesitated to pick up Roger Staubach after four long years with Navy. They didn't hesitate to get him that late and it was worth it.
We are waiting for Jesse W and it is going to be worth it. Seems like forever to me because the hype on him was high the year before he even left for his mission. In Zag Nation time there have been momentus adventures during the wait, from elite 8, to worrying whether we would Dance at all, to Sweet 16, all the time with Wade watching through the window.
I really hope Shem comes back, we can use him for skills, leadership and experience with a crop of new folks starting play with us this Fall.